TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
pmyers

Shark Tank OAD 09/21/2012

The first guy with that surfboard machine is the perfect example of what I was talking about last week with hating when the Sharks collude.

Having them fight all over each other to get a deal done was very entertaining!

I agree with the Sharks when they were telling that guy with the cheater app that he should market it differently to widen the market (and make it more pallatable).
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
newsposter
Poster of News

297 bucks for dvds..the A 1 B2 things were kinda interesting though..if you were brain dead i guess they would work. and not everyone had a mother growing up to tell them how to match things..but the guy just seemed a little on the 'off' side..love how cuban liked the before guy!

also i like when they do stick to their 24 second clock...shows them snooze or lose is real and they better make up their minds. .i think the surf board will become a treadmill..sitting in the corner with clothing hanging after the novelty wears off

80 for ice cream isnt that bad..when i priced out some PSU creamery ice cream mailed it was pretty darn expensive. so custom ice cream would be worth something..too bad they wound up with zero

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
Ment

Don't think the surfboard would be marketed for home use as least not as a focus. Probably more like a spin-cycle in gyms with instructors.

Ice cream idea was good but the Sharks didn't want to buy into a venture where 70% of the venture was already off the table. No shark wants seconds from a shark.
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
..Ice cream idea was good but the Sharks didn't want to buy into a venture where 70% of the venture was already off the table. No shark wants seconds from a shark.
I totally agree. That deal was dead as soon as they mentioned they already had an investor who owned 70%.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
newsposter
Poster of News

yea but whats the diff between getting 30 % of 100 vs 30% taking out of 70%

that means the girls have 30, the sharks 30 and the other guy 40..assuming math is right..they werent gonna have control anyway..or is it that they didnt want to have 2 other 'partners?"

!

Old 09-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
yea but whats the diff between getting 30 % of 100 vs 30% taking out of 70%

that means the girls have 30, the sharks 30 and the other guy 40..assuming math is right..they werent gonna have control anyway..or is it that they didnt want to have 2 other 'partners?"
Sharks were never getting 30% at the most 15% (half of the gals share), dealing with another investor that 1) they don't know 2) has control of the company and might be averse to their suggestions to grow, change the company focus. Lets face it, people come to the Sharks as much for their networking and advice as money, and they wouldn't have as much influence over another shark.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
mwhip
All better

The sharks were totally right about the ice cream ladies, they didn't need an investor they needed a loan.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
newsposter
Poster of News

thankfully i still have this at home because i swear the girls said the share would be out of the silent parnters share and he cant wait to work with the sharks!

!

Old 09-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
andyw715

Quote:
thankfully i still have this at home because i swear the girls said the share would be out of the silent parnters share and he cant wait to work with the sharks!
Thats what I thought, that the VC was giving up part of his 70% (30/55/15)
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
pmyers

Quote:
They did say that, but I still don't think the sharks had any interest in working with an outside investor.

I did find it interesting that the retail store was losing money.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #11
newsposter
Poster of News

i confirmed that the share comes out of the silent partner

!

Old 09-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #12
inaka

Believe it or not, I could totally see that $297 DVD system being a gold mine, but maybe not at quite that high of a price. I thought the guy held up under the pressure really well, and he really is the brand.

Most people probably thought workout videos would never work if they sold them for upwards of $150, etc. But then came Insanity, P90X, etc.

With the right infomercial team and excellent video production values, I could see his system selling quite well actually if they package it at $199 and have a spot similar to P90X that airs on SpikeTV at night, etc. Yes, you have a smaller market, but you also have a highly targeted one. Then, you build off that by having a forum (similar to P90x) with affiliate links to apparel that works with his system, and who knows, down the road, you just design and market your own apparel with the system.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #13
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
They did say that, but I still don't think the sharks had any interest in working with an outside investor.

I did find it interesting that the retail store was losing money.
they didn't say it was losing money, only that the delivered product was more profitable.
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:49 PM   #14
mattack

Quote:
297 bucks for dvds..the A 1 B2 things were kinda interesting though..
Basically Garanimals for adults.

That ice cream was RIDICULOUSLY expensive. Then again, I never buy Ben & Jerrys or anything like that either. (Well, I don't buy ice cream very much at all anymore.. but when I do, it's *typically* the "premium" Safeway brand, when it's $3/tub or less… and of course they did the shrinking machine.. used to be 2 quarts, now I think they're 1.75 or 1.5 quarts.)

Darn, there was some other comment I had about one of the segments on this episode, but I can't remember.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:42 PM   #15
inaka

I thought Robert summarized it well.

If you think of it as ice cream, then yes, it's expensive. However, if you think of it more along the lines of a personalized gift a la an edible arrangement, flowers, etc. it's not outrageous. Look at the prices for edible arrangements. After all, it's just fruit in most cases but its equally expensive and not nearly as personalized as the ice cream, IMO. I think it's a great idea.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #16
newsposter
Poster of News

id love to followup on the cheater app..barb was not happy they passed over her..must be a huge volume to make up that initial investment. i wonder how the thing hides the messages..dont gfs look thru messages too?

!

Old 09-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #17
Byteofram
Survivor of C-bus

Quote:
id love to followup on the cheater app..barb was not happy they passed over her..must be a huge volume to make up that initial investment. i wonder how the thing hides the messages..dont gfs look thru messages too?
My guess was that the message goes to directly to the app and you have to log into the app to get to the messages. That way when someone looks at your phone, they don't see those texts and emails and missed calls.
Byteofram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #18
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Basically Garanimals for adults.

That ice cream was RIDICULOUSLY expensive. Then again, I never buy Ben & Jerrys or anything like that either. (Well, I don't buy ice cream very much at all anymore.. but when I do, it's *typically* the "premium" Safeway brand, when it's $3/tub or less… and of course they did the shrinking machine.. used to be 2 quarts, now I think they're 1.75 or 1.5 quarts.)

Darn, there was some other comment I had about one of the segments on this episode, but I can't remember.
I agree the ice cream was expensive but no more expensive than flowers can be. I seriously will think about the ice cream next time for a friend instead of flowers. I think of it like the edible arrangements business model.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #19
newsposter
Poster of News

i like when they said are you really here for a deal..some people may not be..the ice cream sales have to have increased the past few days at zero cost to them

!

Old 09-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #20
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyis4dcats View Post
they didn't say it was losing money, only that the delivered product was more profitable.
They absolutely said the retail store was losing money (from what I remember).
Old 09-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #21
newsposter
Poster of News

i still have the torrent on my laptop..ill check tonight

!

Old 09-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #22
Ment

Quote:
Yes the Sharks recommended they close the retail store and just focus online.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #23
Jayjoans

Quote:
i like when they said are you really here for a deal..some people may not be..the ice cream sales have to have increased the past few days at zero cost to them
There was a post not long ago that showed information that just by being on the Shark Tank you give up a percentage of your business to Mark Burnett. They know that just by being on the show you'll get a bump in revenue and I'm sure don't want people to get on just to game for advertising. If I recall, it said in the documentation that if you even mentioned another product line you would be subject to giving up this percentage to Burnett, which is why when the clown with the vest that carries your electronics was asked about other businesses he had that were doing extremely well, he wouldn't even mention them.
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #24
Jayjoans

Link:

http://boss.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...on-shark-tank/
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #25
pmyers

Interesting article. I guess for most, a 5% stake of nothing, is worth it.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #26
GoHalos

Quote:
I thought they worded it like, "would you be making more money if you closed your store?", or something like that. To which they answered, "yes". Yes, that could mean that they are losing money on the brick and mortar store, but it also could mean that if they closed the store they could focus on the on-line business and fill more orders (didn't they say they're making all of the ice cream batches themselves?), which likely have a higher $ margin.
GoHalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #27
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHalos View Post
I thought they worded it like, "would you be making more money if you closed your store?", or something like that. To which they answered, "yes". Yes, that could mean that they are losing money on the brick and mortar store, but it also could mean that if they closed the store they could focus on the on-line business and fill more orders (didn't they say they're making all of the ice cream batches themselves?), which likely have a higher $ margin.
that is how it was phrased and answered. That does NOT equate that the store is losing money, only that they are losing higher profit margins due to the lack of focus on the online brand.
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:50 PM   #28
GoHalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyis4dcats View Post
that is how it was phrased and answered. That does NOT equate that the store is losing money, only that they are losing higher profit margins due to the lack of focus on the online brand.
Which is what I said, right?

Technically, it *could* also mean that the store is losing money, but I don't think it was stated that way.
GoHalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:17 PM   #29
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
I agree the ice cream was expensive but no more expensive than flowers can be. I seriously will think about the ice cream next time for a friend instead of flowers. I think of it like the edible arrangements business model.
I hear the ads on Adam Carolla enough, a dozen roses are $19.99.. That seems a looooot more reasonable than a $20 pint of ice cream.

(Adam Carolla does mostly live reads of ads. Just like product placement in movies/TV shows, live reads mostly don't bother me.. Plus Adam often goofs up and makes other comments during the ads… I still FF once in a while, but mostly not. The canned ones at the beginning/end of the shows, I 30 second skip past on my phone.)
Old 09-25-2012, 11:20 PM   #30
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byteofram View Post
My guess was that the message goes to directly to the app and you have to log into the app to get to the messages. That way when someone looks at your phone, they don't see those texts and emails and missed calls.
Yeah, but didn't it also mention phone calls too? It seemed to me like they were at least IMPLYING that it was filtering the 'normal' means in (phone calls & regular text messages), neither of which I suspect is actually do-able.

So yeah, it presumably has to be just in that app on both ends.. you know people will get lazy and quit using that app.