TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #631
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

You have to buy into the belief that the total audience would be significantly lower if the events were aired live and again in the evening "highlights" show. While this might be a reasobnable assumption it's not necessarily true. Did the internet streaming cut into the prime time audience? Apparently not, given the figures cited about about this being the biggest non-US Olympics viewership since before most of the 2012 athletes were born.

Another view: if you air an event twice you get to sell ads twice around the same programming.
pdhenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #632
mike_k

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
So you are saying they should have cannibalized their ratings and show those events during the day as well? From a pure business perspective that doesn't make any sense. You can argue about short shrifting certain events, such as what they did with the women's volleyball, but I don't think you can really argue with them not showing events during the day that they were planning to show at night.
No - I'm not saying that at all. I was just responding to mattack's statement that it is false that "Unless you can stream, it is the ONLY time you can watch the prime events that they've cherry-picked for the nighttime broadcast."

I don't have a problem with them holding events until primetime. I agree that it doesn't make any sense for them to do otherwise.

What I do have a problem with is when they hold an event for primetime, but then only show 20 minutes of it so now we never get a chance to view the entire event. But this wasn't the reason for my post.
mike_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #633
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
There is zero proof that ratings would be cannibalized. Event results were leaked all over the place and people still tuned in.
There's also zero proof it wouldn't. If I'm NBC and plunked down billions on this, I wouldn't risk it.

Quote:
And why not show multiple channels at night. Point out the total ratings not just NBC OTA. Grow up and face new realities. OTA networks are only a part of the entertainment system. NBC acted as if they are the only part. 1950s mentality. Yeah, they streamed (horribly as it turns out) and they used their cable stations during the day. But all that was unimportant to them. The whole effort (by their own words) was to funnel people to NBC OTA in prime time.
Like it or not (and I don't for the record), advertisers pay a LOT more for OTA broadcasts than they do for cable broadcasts. So, if they showed multiple channels at night, that COULD significantly cut into advertising revenues if the advertisers think there will be a 20% decrease in viewers for the NBC broadcast they will pay 20% less. I don't think you could make that up on the other channels.

Again, NBC has to strike a balance between pleasing the viewers and the bottom line. Based on the ratings, it looks like they might have. Only us TV nerds are complaining loudly enough to be heard.

Maybe the TV landscape will change a lot more by the 2016 games, but I doubt it. Certainly not by 2014.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #634
aindik

I think it depends on how advertisers buy advertising. Is the pricing linear? Compare two numbers:
1) Revenue for a 30 second spot on a show with 20 million viewers
2) Revenue for a 30 second spot on a show with 17 million viewers, plus revenue for a second 30 second spot on a show with 3 million viewers

Are 1 and 2 the same? If not, which is bigger?

Also, the problem (from NBC's perspective) with putting the events on during the day isn't that people will watch them during the day. It's that people will DVR it during the day and watch it at night during prime time. That means they see no ads at all.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #635
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_k View Post

What I do have a problem with is when they hold an event for primetime, but then only show 20 minutes of it so now we never get a chance to view the entire event. But this wasn't the reason for my post.
Primetime is only so many minutes. They can't show all of every thing in that time slot.

Show the whole volleyball match? Fine. Tell me what you cut out of PT to show it. Then, you have to defend why you cut some event someone else wanted to watch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #636
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post

Tell me what you cut out of PT to show it.
An hour of Tom Brokaw.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #637
mike_k

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Primetime is only so many minutes. They can't show all of every thing in that time slot.

Show the whole volleyball match? Fine. Tell me what you cut out of PT to show it. Then, you have to defend why you cut some event someone else wanted to watch.
Well, what about the hour long segment on WWII? I'm guessing that they would have showed more of the VB game had the US won, but maybe not. Either way, if they are not going to show more than 1/4 of the game, they should have let it aired during the day.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #638
waynomo
My One Time

Since talking about advertising . . .

One thing I found interesting is the coordinated commercials among the various channels during the day.

Whenever they could they would cut to commercials at the same time. Now if they were in the middle of a soccer match they wouldn't cut to commercial there, but if the event allowed it, they usually did it.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #639
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
An hour of Tom Brokaw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_k View Post
Well, what about the hour long segment on WWII? I'm guessing that they would have showed more of the VB game had the US won, but maybe not. Either way, if they are not going to show more than 1/4 of the game, they should have let it aired during the day.
ahh OK

I forgot that match aired on the night of the WWII thing.

In that case, you have fair cause to bump that segment. But what about on other nights when there isn't some hour long piece that has nothing to do with sports or the Olympics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #640
mike_k

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

In that case, you have fair cause to bump that segment. But what about on other nights when there isn't some hour long piece that has nothing to do with sports or the Olympics.
Same issue - if you're (not you, but NBC) going to hold an event for PT coverage - then at least plan on showing the majority of the event. If you don't have time in PT to do this, then show the event during the day.

They showed several volleyball matches during PT (indoor and beach) and for the most part did a reasonable job with them. They didn't show every point, but I don't think I ever felt cheated by the coverage. Until this last one.

I don't know what the plan would have been had the US won gold - maybe cut some of the diving semis or trim some of the fluff from track and field - but I have to believe that they would have arranged things to show more of the match.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #641
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
Since talking about advertising . . .

One thing I found interesting is the coordinated commercials among the various channels during the day.

Whenever they could they would cut to commercials at the same time. Now if they were in the middle of a soccer match they wouldn't cut to commercial there, but if the event allowed it, they usually did it.
This is another reason not to have multiple channels going at the same time. They don't want people to avoid commercials during Olympic coverage by flipping to other Olympic coverage.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #642
BrettStah

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
This is another reason not to have multiple channels going at the same time. They don't want people to avoid commercials during Olympic coverage by flipping to other Olympic coverage.
It actually sounds like NBC thought of that, and coordinated commercial breaks.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #643
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post
It actually sounds like NBC thought of that, and coordinated commercial breaks.
They did that during the day. During prime time they didn't. Perhaps because they didn't think they could.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #644
BrettStah

Quote:
They did that during the day. During prime time they didn't. Perhaps because they didn't think they could.
I thought that during prime time, only the main NBC channel carried any Olympics coverage?

Old 08-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #645
aindik

Quote:
I thought that during prime time, only the main NBC channel carried any Olympics coverage?
It did. I think one of the reasons why they did it that was is to stop people from tuning over to their other channels during commercial breaks in the NBC coverage.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #646
BrettStah

Quote:
It did. I think one of the reasons why they did it that was is to stop people from tuning over to their other channels during commercial breaks in the NBC coverage.
I don't know why they couldn't coordinate commercial breaks during primetime coverage, if they could do it during daytime hours.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #647
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

Quote:
I don't know why they couldn't coordinate commercial breaks during primetime coverage, if they could do it during daytime hours.
The affiliates would raise holy heck.

and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #648
BrettStah

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
The affiliates would raise holy heck.
Why? NBC can simply run the commercial breaks on their cable outlets at the same time they run the commercial breaks on the main NBC channel, right?

Old 08-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #649
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Because then they'd just tune to another network??
pdhenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #650
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

Quote:
Why? NBC can simply run the commercial breaks on their cable outlets at the same time they run the commercial breaks on the main NBC channel, right?
Nielsen doesn't just count the time commercials are on...

and elsewhere
Old 08-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #651
BrettStah

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
Nielsen doesn't just count the time commercials are on...
Scroll back up to see the post from aindik that I was initially responding to...

Old 08-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #652
aindik

Quote:
The format of the prime time OTA coverage is different than what is or would be on the ancillary channels. The main NBC coverage was lots of quick hits and back and forth. Simultaneous coverage on NBCSN probably wouldn't be formatted the same way. The way people are discussing it, they're looking for longer-form single-event coverage on the other channels.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #653
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

Quote:
Scroll back up to see the post from aindik that I was initially responding to...
Don't see anything that refers to the fact that the affiliates would prefer you not tune away from them at any time. NBC still needs to cater to their needs before their cable nets.

and elsewhere
Old 08-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #654
morac
Cat God

They ran a lot more commercials during prime time. It was nearly half and half for some events, so they couldn't wait for opportune times. As for why they ran so many commercials in prime-time, it was likely to make up for the fact that they hardly ran any during the day.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #655
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj

There's also zero proof it wouldn't. If I'm NBC and plunked down billions on this, I wouldn't risk it.

Like it or not (and I don't for the record), advertisers pay a LOT more for OTA broadcasts than they do for cable broadcasts. So, if they showed multiple channels at night, that COULD significantly cut into advertising revenues if the advertisers think there will be a 20% decrease in viewers for the NBC broadcast they will pay 20% less. I don't think you could make that up on the other channels.

Again, NBC has to strike a balance between pleasing the viewers and the bottom line. Based on the ratings, it looks like they might have. Only us TV nerds are complaining loudly enough to be heard.

Maybe the TV landscape will change a lot more by the 2016 games, but I doubt it. Certainly not by 2014.
Yeah. NBC is not creative enough to out together packages. Advertiser pay by eyeballs. If the eyeballs are spread across four channels, they are spread. I think it is more about boasting rights than actual advertising payments.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #656
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik

Didn't what? They didn't have more than one channel during prime time.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #657
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Didn't what? They didn't have more than one channel during prime time.
Right. I think if they could have worked out timing the commercials out, they might have had more than one channel during prime time.

But the concern about the affiliates is a good one. The affiliates don't get a cut of commercials that air on NBCSN while a local spot is airing on their air.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #658
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

NBC came into the Games expecting to lose money. They paid about $1 Billion for the rights to air these games, and as of the week before the Opening Ceremony, they had sold a record high amount of about $950 million in ads. Due to the high ratings, they were able to get more and they probably ended up breaking even or maybe even making a little bit. But it was tight.

With that information in mind, how was NBC expected to wring any additional ad revenue out of these Games if they didn't hold the marquee events for the primetime show? Splitting the audience during primetime is not an option. I'll bet that of the hundreds of hours NBC aired on all its various outlets, it made 80% or more of its total ad revenue on the primetime network broadcast. Ad rates on cable nets just don't compare to broadcast.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #659
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
My biggest problem with NBC was editorial. During the opening ceremony, they cut material not because of commercials but to air an interview with Ryan Seacrest Michael Phelps.

They frequently showed fluff pieces in primetime instead of sports.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #660
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
My biggest problem with NBC was editorial. During the opening ceremony, they cut material not because of commercials but to air an interview with Ryan Seacrest Michael Phelps.

They frequently showed fluff pieces in primetime instead of sports.
I totally agree. The only place Ryan Seacrest even vaguely fit in was the closing ceremonies.

If they could get rid of Ryan, not screw up the volleyball, move the WWII piece to before the Olympics, and delete the Animal Practice disaster which messed up the closing ceremonies, I really wouldn't have much to complain about. And considering how many hours they broadcast, that's really not a bad percentage.

I enjoyed the games tremendously and miss them this week.