Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-13-2012, 11:42 AM   #601
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
Yeah, I definitely remember that part. The flag was being lowered while some Welsh choirs were singing the Olympic anthem... I remember joking to my SO about their name, one of them was something like the Welsh Rugby Choir. And then the armed forces people marched the flag out of the stadium. And they definitely showed Boris Johnson waving the flag, passing it to Jacques Rogge, and then passing it to the Rio mayor. During the voiceover they talked about how he had been the mayor since 2008 and was instrumental in the 2016 bid.
Yep, I remember it too. Anyone watch the late broadcast after the local news? Worth watching? I have it recorded, but if it's a waste of time, I'll skip it.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #602
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Here is Muse, Ray Davies, and The Who that NBC didn't broadcast.

http://gawker.com/5934199/here-are-t...cast/gallery/1
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #603
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Yep, I remember it too. Anyone watch the late broadcast after the local news? Worth watching? I have it recorded, but if it's a waste of time, I'll skip it.
The first 7 minutes or so are worth watching to see The Who.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #604
billypritchard
Embiggener

The Waterloo Sunset performance was better than 95% of the rest of the show. Stupid NBC.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #605
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
I caught the opening, thanks to the warnings here. (i.e. in the Olympics Watching Party thread).
Ah well, I wasn't reading that thread at all.

I would have seen it if it had been in the "Urgent Pad Recordings Alert" thread in the Season Pass Alerts forum though.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #606
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
Anybody else hold back some events to watch this week? I've still got all four team handball medal games waiting for me
Yep, I still have a bunch to watch!
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #607
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I didn't.

Off the top of my head... There was a LOT of the stuff with The Beatles and the newspaper wrapped cars, people, etc and the Tower of London with Churchill coming out of it and reciting from The Tempest that we didn't see. We didn't see Muse, George Michael's second song, Ray Davies, Emeli Sande, Kate Bush, The Who (although I guess they were on the late late show). We didn't see the 200 ballerinas dancing during the phoenix stuff. We didn't see them building a pyramid out of the blocks representing all the events. We saw that John Lennon face image on the floor for like half a second before cutting to commercial. We didn't see the gymnasts performing to The Beatle's "A Day in the Life".
Now you're making me more upset. I didn't know about all this other stuff they didn't show. I knew of a few, and was plenty pissed already. Thanks for nothing! :-)

(But I did see Churchill, Tower of London, and newspaper wrapped cars. Might have been in the first ten minutes.)
Old 08-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #608
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
More on what was cut, in detail.

http://deadspin.com/5934166/nbc-cut-...nks-ray-davies
Old 08-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #609
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
NBC's biggest sin was that they pretended what they were showing was what was there. If they came out and said, "Look, we unfortunately had to cut some of the show for commercial time, but after the broadcast, you can go see the whole thing on our website" that would be ok.

But they don't even acknowledge that they are making cuts - until they are asked about it. The uneducated viewing audience doesn't know.

That's because NBC treats it as a show, and not as a live event.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #610
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
NBC showed the flag transfer. I remember Mayor Boris waving the Olympic flag on the staff during that ceremony (after they lowered and folded the big one on the pole).
Okay, I must have missed it while I was looking up the London Welsh Rugby Club.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #611
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I'm watching it, and The Who, right now.

You know that firework show that went off all at once? It looks sorta like that, at the very end.

So The Who's set is over 10 minutes into the timeslot, and then they put in athlete interviews? WTF? Why not just ditch the 20 minute highlight show at the front, and have The Who in the main show?

Last edited by murgatroyd : 08-13-2012 at 04:53 PM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #612
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
So NBC went through and cut a bunch of the stuff I would have really liked (e.g. the Kate Bush segment, the medal ceremony for the marathon, etc.).

Figures.

Screw NBC, I'll just have to find an uncut copy somewhere else.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #613
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
Here is Muse, Ray Davies, and The Who that NBC didn't broadcast.

http://gawker.com/5934199/here-are-t...cast/gallery/1
Turtleboy - Did Gawker shorten the length of the videos. I could have sworn they were longer the first time I watched.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #614
laria
Librocubicularist

Well, it turned out that we got to see those missed opening minutes. After the broadcast was done and they were saying to tune in later for the after party, we were not sure what to record... there was a 0:35 show listed as a repeat of London Gold, and then a 2:55 one listed as a repeat of the closing ceremonies, so we just put both of them in.

The 0:35 one had The Who (interrupted in the middle of Baba O'Riley by an EAS test in the recording!?) and then some interviews on the ground with a few American athletes who were all reading from the same script that everything was "amazing" and they couldn't wait for Rio.

Then the 2:55 one had some junk at the start, but at 0:18 started up the repeat of the ceremony at the actual start point.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #615
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy
NBC's biggest sin was that they pretended what they were showing was what was there. If they came out and said, "Look, we unfortunately had to cut some of the show for commercial time, but after the broadcast, you can go see the whole thing on our website" that would be ok.

But they don't even acknowledge that they are making cuts - until they are asked about it. The uneducated viewing audience doesn't know.

That's because NBC treats it as a show, and not as a live event.
This is it. Pure arrogance. And a editing of someone else's art. It is like a museum painting over a portion of a painting and telling you there is nothing there.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #616
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
They seem to be shorter, too. I think it has been a pretty good balance this year. Of course, they made up for this by having Ryan Seacrest interrupt the proceedings every night for "social media updates", and oh, that wacky Mary Carillo!
She's weird, but I like the Mary Carillo bits.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #617
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
2) You are completely missing the point that the Primetime show is NOT the "highlights of the important stuff that happened during the day". Unless you can stream, it is the ONLY time you can watch the prime events that they've cherry-picked for the nighttime broadcast.
That's absolutely false.

NBC has been showing 6-8 hours a day of Olympics on the OTA channel. They've been ALSO showing craploads of hours (in 8-12 hour blocks) of Olympics on craploads of channels.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #618
mike_k

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack

That's absolutely false.

NBC has been showing 6-8 hours a day of Olympics on the OTA channel. They've been ALSO showing craploads of hours (in 8-12 hour blocks) of Olympics on craploads of channels.
But they didn't show those events that they had reserved for primetime. They didn't show the women's indoor volleyball gold medal match during the day because they were saving it for primetime - during which they only showed about 20 minutes of the match. None of the sprint finals were aired during the day. Even the semi-finals for a lot of the track events were reserved until primetime. Basically nothing they showed during primetime was available during the day.
mike_k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:50 PM   #619
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

With the closing ceremonies, the thing is, they could've kept the commercials and still wouldn't have needed to cut nearly as much. Ditching both the "London Gold" olympic recap and that trainwreck of a sitcom would have given them 40+ extra minutes to play with. I don't know if 40 extra minutes was enough to show everything, but it would've been much closer than what they ended up with.

I mean, the "London Gold" thing seems like one of those things that, if this were live, would have been a package they aired simply as time-fill until the show started. But this wasn't live, so that "time fill" just was "time waste."
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:47 AM   #620
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
With the closing ceremonies, the thing is, they could've kept the commercials and still wouldn't have needed to cut nearly as much. Ditching both the "London Gold" olympic recap and that trainwreck of a sitcom would have given them 40+ extra minutes to play with. I don't know if 40 extra minutes was enough to show everything, but it would've been much closer than what they ended up with.

I mean, the "London Gold" thing seems like one of those things that, if this were live, would have been a package they aired simply as time-fill until the show started. But this wasn't live, so that "time fill" just was "time waste."
I ran about 3:10.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:24 AM   #621
alansh

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
Turtleboy - Did Gawker shorten the length of the videos. I could have sworn they were longer the first time I watched.
Looks like they got a nastygram from NBC. They're not going to show the cut footage or allow anyone else to show it.
alansh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:32 AM   #622
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
She's weird, but I like the Mary Carillo bits.
Whenever I see her I think of Will Ferrill in an SNL skit.
pdhenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #623
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Ditching both the "London Gold" olympic recap and that trainwreck of a sitcom would have given them 40+ extra minutes to play with. I don't know if 40 extra minutes was enough to show everything, but it would've been much closer than what they ended up with.
London Gold ran from 7:00 to 8:20, I think. When it started at 7 I checked the guide and realized I had time to mow the lawn before the real show began.
pdhenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #624
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_k View Post
But they didn't show those events that they had reserved for primetime. They didn't show the women's indoor volleyball gold medal match during the day because they were saving it for primetime - during which they only showed about 20 minutes of the match. None of the sprint finals were aired during the day. Even the semi-finals for a lot of the track events were reserved until primetime. Basically nothing they showed during primetime was available during the day.
So you are saying they should have cannibalized their ratings and show those events during the day as well? From a pure business perspective that doesn't make any sense. You can argue about short shrifting certain events, such as what they did with the women's volleyball, but I don't think you can really argue with them not showing events during the day that they were planning to show at night.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #625
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Say what you will about how they handle the Prime Time, but the numbers show that their ratings are up 8% over Bejing 2008. And for those games, there were truly live events shown in Prime Time.

They were the highest rated Summer Games staged outside the USA since 1976. 219.5 million unique viewers (a unique viewer is someone who watches at least 6 minutes )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:35 AM   #626
billypritchard
Embiggener

What's good for NBC is not necessarily good for me, the viewer.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:44 AM   #627
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
What's good for NBC is not necessarily good for me, the viewer.
correct.

But they have to focus on their customers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #628
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
correct.

But they have to focus on their customers.
Don't you mean the shareholders?
Old 08-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #629
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj

So you are saying they should have cannibalized their ratings and show those events during the day as well? From a pure business perspective that doesn't make any sense. You can argue about short shrifting certain events, such as what they did with the women's volleyball, but I don't think you can really argue with them not showing events during the day that they were planning to show at night.
There is zero proof that ratings would be cannibalized. Event results were leaked all over the place and people still tuned in.

And why not show multiple channels at night. Point out the total ratings not just NBC OTA. Grow up and face new realities. OTA networks are only a part of the entertainment system. NBC acted as if they are the only part. 1950s mentality. Yeah, they streamed (horribly as it turns out) and they used their cable stations during the day. But all that was unimportant to them. The whole effort (by their own words) was to funnel people to NBC OTA in prime time.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #630
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
Don't you mean the shareholders?
them and the customers

P&G
McDonalds
Visa

all the companies that bought the ad spots.