TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-13-2012, 12:19 AM   #571
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

You'd have thought they'd have learned from "The Marriage Ref" debacle, but nooooo....
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:05 AM   #572
whitson77
Director Level

The closing ceremonies were no bueno.
whitson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:16 AM   #573
waynomo
My One Time

This is reminiscent of the famous NBC Heidi game in 1968. How do you butcher the coverage like that of the closing ceremonies?
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:17 AM   #574
waynomo
My One Time

And still no Muse? Did I somehow miss them?
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:42 AM   #575
MarkofT

You sure did. Silly person expecting to see everything by watching a major US TV network.

NBC cut them for some silly reason.
MarkofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:06 AM   #576
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitson77 View Post
The closing ceremonies were no bueno.
So, was it worth watching or should I just delete it? I don't care about The Who.

I only watched a few pieces of the opening ceremonies since so many people said it was bad (not just folks here on TC).
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:37 AM   #577
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwerdna
So, was it worth watching or should I just delete it? I don't care about The Who.

I only watched a few pieces of the opening ceremonies since so many people said it was bad (not just folks here on TC).
Actually other than NBC cutting a few items from the opening ceremonies, I thought they were pretty good. As for the closing ceremony, it was basically a concert with a bunch of different genres of music, with a fashion model show thrown in for no reason. If you don't care about music or fashion you can skip it.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #578
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
NBC cut Kate Bush?

That alone shows they are a big bag of incompetent suck.
Here's the video of the Kate Bush number:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy
Not as big a deal as I thought after seeing that.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #579
JimSpence
Just hangin'

The only part that was interesting was the extinguishing of the Olympic Caldron.

Shame on NBC for cutting out any of the closing ceremony. That Kate Bush part was great in relation to what we saw. Having the montage of the athletes is what this should be. I wonder ho much more of that was cut?

Last edited by JimSpence : 08-13-2012 at 08:07 AM.
JimSpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #580
lambertman
Not single!

Is Roger Daltrey making it a habit of changing all his lyrics to be more uplifting, or was that just for this occasion? Either way, it was lame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #581
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
Is Roger Daltrey making it a habit of changing all his lyrics to be more uplifting, or was that just for this occasion? Either way, it was lame.
Actually, he doesn't write the lyrics, Pete Townsend does. I haven't seen the performance yet, got it recorded, but I'm sure it's going to p**s me off.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #582
JimSpence
Just hangin'

It seems that we missed a whole lot of the closing ceremony.
Look through these pictures.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Side-Life.html
Old 08-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #583
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSpence View Post
It seems that we missed a whole lot of the closing ceremony.
Look through these pictures.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Side-Life.html
I saw 98% of what was in those pictures.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #584
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
I saw 98% of what was in those pictures.
I didn't.

Off the top of my head... There was a LOT of the stuff with The Beatles and the newspaper wrapped cars, people, etc and the Tower of London with Churchill coming out of it and reciting from The Tempest that we didn't see. We didn't see Muse, George Michael's second song, Ray Davies, Emeli Sande, Kate Bush, The Who (although I guess they were on the late late show). We didn't see the 200 ballerinas dancing during the phoenix stuff. We didn't see them building a pyramid out of the blocks representing all the events. We saw that John Lennon face image on the floor for like half a second before cutting to commercial. We didn't see the gymnasts performing to The Beatle's "A Day in the Life".
Old 08-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #585
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I didn't.

Off the top of my head... There was a LOT of the stuff with The Beatles and the newspaper wrapped cars, people, etc and the Tower of London with Churchill coming out of it and reciting from The Tempest that we didn't see.
I caught the opening, thanks to the warnings here. (i.e. in the Olympics Watching Party thread).

The show started 10 minutes before the timeslot in the Guide Data.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:57 AM   #586
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
They started 10 minutes early. I caught the opening, thanks to the warnings here. (i.e. in the Olympics Watching Party thread).
The start of our broadcast pretty clearly looked like the beginning of the NBC broadcast with the introductions and stuff... or did you mean you watched the beginning online?
Old 08-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #587
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I didn't.

Off the top of my head... There was a LOT of the stuff with The Beatles and the newspaper wrapped cars, people, etc and the Tower of London with Churchill coming out of it and reciting from The Tempest that we didn't see.
Sure we did. It's just that NBC started 10 minutes early.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #588
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
The start of our broadcast pretty clearly looked like the beginning of the NBC broadcast with the introductions and stuff... or did you mean you watched the beginning online?
No, on the TV.

It seems that the show went long, so they started it 10 minutes early (compared to the guide data) and still had to cut everything.

I understand that NBC is a business and paid billions of dollars to cover the Olympics. I understand they have to show commercials, and lots of them.

The problem is not that there were too many commercials, but they showed too much fluff.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #589
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

The other thing that bugs me about both the OC and CC is that there are parts of the ceremony I never saw.

In the OC, we didn't get the athletes' oath (or any of them). In the CC, we didn't see the Olympic flag lowered or see it passed on to the people in the next host city.

It's hard to believe that London 2012 would have blown off these parts of the ceremony, so I can only conclude that NBC did.

Which is kinda like your neighbor promising that he'll video your kid's high school graduation since you can't be there, and when you get home, you find out he got great shots of some kids sneaking in beers and puking after the ceremony, but he somehow forgot to include the part where your kid actually walks across the stage to get his diploma.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #590
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
No, on the TV.

It seems that the show went long, so they started it 10 minutes early (compared to the guide data) and still had to cut everything.
"The show went long?" I'd say instead that NBC did not allocate enough time for the Closing Ceremonies, just like they never allocate enough time for the Opening Ceremonies, or any other live or pseudo-live event like this. They don't know how long it will be, and the default always is to have a timeslot which is too short. Local stations are smart enough to have post-game shows and just fill any 'extra' time that way, but national isn't smart enough for that.

There's a reason our TiVos now have software warning us certain events are live, asking us if they want to pad.

Quote:
What TB said (many thanks for his warning). They were doing a highlights show of moments from the Games ("London Gold" in the Guide Data). And the ceremony actually started 10 minutes before the end of that half hour. Then NBC came back from break with the full intro you saw and carried on from there.

Totally lame.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 08-13-2012 at 10:14 AM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #591
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
No, on the TV.

I guess I don't understand... when I started watching our recording, there was some local news blurb, then London 2012 logos, then the announcers came on saying hi I'm Bob Costas along with Ryan Seacrest, blah blah blah. It sounded like the beginning of a broadcast. You are telling me there was another 10 minutes before that? My guide data had the recording for 2 hours 28 minutes... it was really 2 hours and 38 minutes?

Some of the stuff (the missing ballerinas, the super brief John Lennon face shot) weren't even the fault of too many commercials... they just didn't edit it well and show us what was happening further out on the floor. Well, they did show us a little big of the assembly of the Lennon face but only from the floor level side view.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #592
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I guess I don't understand... when I started watching our recording, there was some local news blurb, then London 2012 logos, then the announcers came on saying hi I'm Bob Costas along with Ryan Seacrest, blah blah blah. It sounded like the beginning of a broadcast. You are telling me there was another 10 minutes before that? My guide data had the recording for 2 hours 28 minutes... it was really 2 hours and 38 minutes?

Some of the stuff (the missing ballerinas, the super brief John Lennon face shot) weren't even the fault of too many commercials... they just didn't edit it well and show us what was happening further out on the floor. Well, they did show us a little big of the assembly of the Lennon face but only from the floor level side view.
If you recorded based on guide data, without pre-padding and didn't do a manual recording, you missed the first 10 minutes.

The whole thing is available to download, if you know where to look.

Of course, watching it live is more fun.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #593
laria
Librocubicularist

Well that is weird then that they would introduce the announcers and do beginning of broadcast stuff 10 minutes into the broadcast.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #594
vertigo235

I downloaded the bbc version, I guess I'll just watch that and skip the one on my DVR.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #595
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Just to show that other countries have annoying broadcasters, here are the French blabbering into the Spice Girls.

Edit: Never mind. Taken down. That was fast.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #596
lambertman
Not single!

Anybody else hold back some events to watch this week? I've still got all four team handball medal games waiting for me

and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #597
Idearat

I haven't watched it yet, but I downloaded the BBC coverage of the closing ceremonies. The music starts a minute or two in and there are fireworks and singing ending at 3:10:00 with another 10 minutes of announcers talking while people are dancing or filing out of the stadium.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #598
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
n the OC, we didn't get the athletes' oath (or any of them). In the CC, we didn't see the Olympic flag lowered or see it passed on to the people in the next host city.

It's hard to believe that London 2012 would have blown off these parts of the ceremony, so I can only conclude that NBC did.
NBC showed the flag transfer. I remember Mayor Boris waving the Olympic flag on the staff during that ceremony (after they lowered and folded the big one on the pole).
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #599
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
NBC showed the flag transfer. I remember Mayor Boris waving the Olympic flag on the staff during that ceremony (after they lowered and folded the big one on the pole).
Yeah, I definitely remember that part. The flag was being lowered while some Welsh choirs were singing the Olympic anthem... I remember joking to my SO about their name, one of them was something like the Welsh Rugby Choir. And then the armed forces people marched the flag out of the stadium. And they definitely showed Boris Johnson waving the flag, passing it to Jacques Rogge, and then passing it to the Rio mayor. During the voiceover they talked about how he had been the mayor since 2008 and was instrumental in the 2016 bid.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #600
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Jan is right. the problem is they allocated an hour of TV time on Sunday night to preview an hour long pilot of a new fall TV show.

The total length of the actual ceremony, from the real start to the true final end, was much longer than NBC's time slot to broadcast the ceremony.

I didnt even realize they broke up the coverage into two separate programs. The "Olympics Wrap Up" , then the Cermony. I watched it all "live" live in real time. I didn't record a single second of any of it (beyond the 30 minute LiveTV buffer), so it was all totally seamless for me.

as far as "missed shots" of stuff? Probably not NBC. Probably the host broadcaster and the way they put together the video. I don't think NBC is controlling much, if any, of those. At best, they might have a camera or two to squeeze in some quick shots of USA atheletes.

jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote