TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #391
Stephen Tu

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitson77 View Post
Kevin Durant has the best shot on the planet. Good lord!!
Nah, I think there are a number of players with a better shot than KD. E.g. Ray Allen. It's KD's size and long arms, combined with a very good but not "the best" shot, that makes him unguardable. He can just effortlessly shoot over just about anyone quick enough to attempt to check him at the 3-pt line, so when his shot is falling it's a total nightmare for the other team.
Stephen Tu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #392
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Now that we've all agreed Phelps is the best Olympian in history , let's talk commentators.

Who are you liking and who do you wish would never appear on your TV again? Being a cord-cutter, I'm only treated to who appears on NBC's main channel, but here are a few thoughts:

Swimming (Dan Hicks / Rowdy Gaines): Probably my favorite pair. I think Hicks calls an exciting race, and while I know that Gaines has his detractors, I think he does a good job with technical analysis and I actually like how excited he gets during races.

Diving (Ted Robinson / Cynthia Potter): Probably my second favorite pair. Potter's analysis is excellent, and Robinson makes an affable partner. They may get some benefit of the doubt because NBC edits the diving telecasts so very tightly; it's impossible to know what the duo does with the time that actually elapses between dives.

Gymnastics (Al Trautwig / Tim Daggett / Elfi Schlegel): Trautwig would be good enough if he would stick to play-by-play and setting up his analysts, but he doesn't, so he is tough to take. I like Daggett, chiefly because he comes really, really prepared and sets us up well for what to look for in such a quickly-moving sport. Schlegel is usually just kind of there.

Indoor volleyball (Dunno / Dunno): I don't like this duo very much. They call a technically proficient game as far as I can tell, but they just don't bring any oomph to it.

Beach volleyball (Dunno / Dunno): Decent duo. I like how the analyst will explain from time to time the nuances of playmaking in beach volleyball that make it distinct from conventional volleyball -- helping the viewer understand what they are looking at. The commentator sometimes acts like he is Misty May's and Kerri Walsh's best friend (calling them by their first names usually, where everyone else is called by their last), but hey, I wish I were their best friend, too.

Track and field (Tom Hammond / Ato Boldin / Dunno for field events): As far as I can tell, Hammond is a very good track play-by-play guy, but for the most part the T&F events don't interest me much so I don't really enjoy listening to him. Same for Boldin. I do like the guy that does the analysis for the field events, but those are usually edited so heavily that it's hard to get a real sense for how good he actually is.

Water polo (Dunno / Dunno): I don't like this pair. I don't think they call a very exciting game, and they never explain anything. I'm always watching and wondering why something is or isn't a foul, what some of the basic rules are, etc. The vast majority of their viewers don't see this sport except at the Olympics, but these announcers don't give any help to the viewers in understanding what they are watching.

Chime in on these or any others you like or hate!
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:17 PM   #393
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

The field guy is Dwight Stones, who was a high jumper when I was in high school in the 70's and also high jumped. He knows what he's talking about but they only show such small snippets of field events, it's hard to tell how he'd do if he had to fill dead space between events.

Cynthia Potter is technically very good in diving. but something about her voice gets on my nerves big time.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #394
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

I'm still holding out for Greg Louganis, who has been in four Olympics and had double golds in two of them, but whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
Swimming (Dan Hicks / Rowdy Gaines): Probably my favorite pair. I think Hicks calls an exciting race, and while I know that Gaines has his detractors, I think he does a good job with technical analysis and I actually like how excited he gets during races.
I like Rowdy too, but sometimes I wish I had a yell-o-meter to see how excited he gets. Who would get the gold medal, Rowdy, or Scotty Hamilton (figure skating)?

Quote:
Diving (Ted Robinson / Cynthia Potter): Probably my second favorite pair. Potter's analysis is excellent, and Robinson makes an affable partner. They may get some benefit of the doubt because NBC edits the diving telecasts so very tightly; it's impossible to know what the duo does with the time that actually elapses between dives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriAnne View Post
Cynthia Potter is technically very good in diving. but something about her voice gets on my nerves big time.
Yeah, she's a little bit shrill, and she over-articulates stuff, but I like Potter's analysis a lot.

Quote:
Gymnastics (Al Trautwig / Tim Daggett / Elfi Schlegel): Trautwig would be good enough if he would stick to play-by-play and setting up his analysts, but he doesn't, so he is tough to take. I like Daggett, chiefly because he comes really, really prepared and sets us up well for what to look for in such a quickly-moving sport. Schlegel is usually just kind of there.
I like Daggett. If a great hole opened up in the earth and swallowed Trautwig, so he would be off somewhere doing some sport I didn't watch, that would be okay by me. I wish there were an analyst for gymnastics as good as Potter is for diving. IMHO Schelgel isn't it.

Quote:
Beach volleyball (Dunno / Dunno): The commentator sometimes acts like he is Misty May's and Kerri Walsh's best friend (calling them by their first names usually, where everyone else is called by their last), but hey, I wish I were their best friend, too.
I chalked it up not to 'acting like he is their best friend' but rather that it is much easier to call a shot if he is using their first names rather than the hyphenated last names they are both using now. If I had his job, I'd be calling them Misty and Kerri, too.

Quote:
Track and field (Tom Hammond / Ato Boldin / Dunno for field events): As far as I can tell, Hammond is a very good track play-by-play guy, but for the most part the T&F events don't interest me much so I don't really enjoy listening to him. Same for Boldin. I do like the guy that does the analysis for the field events, but those are usually edited so heavily that it's hard to get a real sense for how good he actually is.
I like Boldin. I could be biased because I like his accent, but he seems to be doing a good job. I haven't found myself asking questions that Boldin hasn't answered yet.

Cycling: Paul Sherwin is one of my favorite analysts. Period. His partners Steve Schlanger (Road) and Todd Harris (Track) are okay. I haven't heard Harris much because I haven't seen very much of the track cycling. Schlanger seemed less annoying during the road races here than he used to be on Universal Sports.

Weightlifting (Jim Watson/ Shane Hamman): Weightlifting is a real pleasure to watch because of these guys. They talk enough but never too much, and I never feel they haven't told me something I need to know. And listening to Shane Hamman is just fun.

Tennis: Really really enjoyed hearing John McEnroe's commentary during tennis, and all the "what event did you see" pieces he has done throughout the games. My #1 pick for tennis analysis.

Synchronized Swimming: I have to give a special shout-out to Randy Moss here. He is obviously totally out of his element here, but he's doing his best to understand what his analyst Heather Olson is talking about, to prompt her to explain some basic stuff for the people who don't follow synchro, and to convey just how much athleticism is involved, all without stepping on Olson. His work on Canoeing has been good, too.

My yardstick for commentators and analysts is simple: would I want to be sitting next to them at the event, or have them over to my place to watch. Apolo Ono, John McEnroe, Randy Moss, and Paul Sherwin can come over to my place anytime.

The person I'd most like to see here, who isn't? Especially doing a gig like Apolo Ono or McEnroe? Bob Roll.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 08-06-2012 at 11:42 PM.
murgatroyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #395
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Tennis: Really really enjoyed hearing John McEnroe's commentary during tennis, and all the "what event did you see" pieces he has done throughout the games. My #1 pick for tennis analysis.
I didn't even think to list Mac because he calls every major tennis event everywhere. Agreed that he is the tops at it -- just great to listen to. I especially enjoy when he and Mary Carillo call a match together.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:18 AM   #396
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Beach volleyball (Dunno / Dunno)
Paul Sunderland / Kevin Wong. Sunderland was an indoor volleyball Olympian (gold medalist) and Wong was a professional beach volleyball player for over 15 years.

Quote:
The commentator sometimes acts like he is Misty May's and Kerri Walsh's best friend (calling them by their first names usually, where everyone else is called by their last)
In beach volleyball, it's not uncommon to be called by your first name. The commentators also refer to the Brazilian duo of Larissa Franca and Juliana Silva as "Larissa and Juliana".
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:05 AM   #397
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:

Water polo (Dunno / Dunno): I don't like this pair. I don't think they call a very exciting game, and they never explain anything. I'm always watching and wondering why something is or isn't a foul, what some of the basic rules are, etc. The vast majority of their viewers don't see this sport except at the Olympics, but these announcers don't give any help to the viewers in understanding what they are watching.

Chime in on these or any others you like or hate!
It's interesting about the water polo. Mike "Doc" Emerick is probably the best hockey pxp man in the world. I think he's fine doing water polo (a similar sport in some respects, but he definitely lacks the the enthusiasm he has for hockey. The live interviewer is Pierre McGuire who is also a hockey guy.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:26 AM   #398
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
It's interesting about the water polo. Mike "Doc" Emerick is probably the best hockey pxp man in the world. I think he's fine doing water polo (a similar sport in some respects, but he definitely lacks the the enthusiasm he has for hockey. The live interviewer is Pierre McGuire who is also a hockey guy.
I thought I was hearing a hockey game being called...
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #399
aindik

I only caught a bit of water polo, which I only watched in the first place because Doc Emerick was calling it. He sounds bored, but also his analysts need to seriously STFU and let the guy do his thing. He's one of the best in the world.

It sounds like someone told him not to scream "and a SHOT" like he does in hockey. And he calls a goal with "goal" instead of "score," which also sounds deliberate (and not as good).
aindik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #400
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
In beach volleyball, it's not uncommon to be called by your first name. The commentators also refer to the Brazilian duo of Larissa Franca and Juliana Silva as "Larissa and Juliana".
Quote:
The commentator sometimes acts like he is Misty May's and Kerri Walsh's best friend (calling them by their first names usually, where everyone else is called by their last), but hey, I wish I were their best friend, too.
Again...
Old 08-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #401
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
Is anyone's cable company carrying the NBC Basketball or Soccer channels in SD?
From what I have been able to piece together, NBC is not providing an SD feed for these channels.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #402
tivogurl

I'm ok with the track and field commentators, so long as they don't have Carol Lewis with them. She's so astonishingly bad I don't understand how she got the job.

I don't like Bolden, I'd rather they dump him and give Dwight a full-time job.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #403
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Paul Sunderland / Kevin Wong. Sunderland was an indoor volleyball Olympian (gold medalist) and Wong was a professional beach volleyball player for over 15 years.

The other US team is also called by their first names, and they even have their names embroidered on their hats (April and Jen). I have no idea what their last names are.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #404
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

OMG! Cynthia Potter sounds like Nancy Grace to me-not her fault, of course, she is great at explaining the dives and what the judges are looking for, etc...but that voice! UGH!
Old 08-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #405
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
The other US team is also called by their first names, and they even have their names embroidered on their hats (April and Jen). I have no idea what their last names are.
I'm watching the semi between Larissa/Juliana and Jen Kessy/April Ross. It seems to me that the announcers refer to the Brazilians 100% of the time by their first names and I'd say refer to the Americans 50% by both names, 40% by last name and only 10% by first name...even though Kevin Wong, at the very least, knows Jen and April personally (since they played in the AVP tour at the same time).

BTW: Before she got married, Jen Kessy's last name was "Boss" and so the team was referred to as "Boss and Ross"...
Old 08-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #406
eskay

Quote:
I'm watching the semi between Larissa/Juliana and Jen Kessy/April Ross. It seems to me that the announcers refer to the Brazilians 100% of the time by their first names and I'd say refer to the Americans 50% by both names, 40% by last name and only 10% by first name...even though Kevin Wong, at the very least, knows Jen and April personally (since they played in the AVP tour at the same time).

BTW: Before she got married, Jen Kessy's last name was "Boss" and so the team was referred to as "Boss and Ross"...
I can't find a link, but Brazil's indoor volleyball team also goes by their first name. Their uniform even has their first name, not last name. Sunderland explained it, but I forgot what he said.
eskay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #407
jay_man2
jay_man-also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
OMG! Cynthia Potter sounds like Nancy Grace to me-not her fault, of course, she is great at explaining the dives and what the judges are looking for, etc...but that voice! UGH!
I couldn't watch diving because of that Nancy Grace voice.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #408
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

OMG, can someone just gag Tim Ryan? By the time I finish watching any of the equestrian stuff, I feel like my head is going to explode.

I tuned in to watch dressage, not to get the sales history of all the horses, for cryin' out loud.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 08-07-2012 at 09:09 PM.
murgatroyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #409
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskay View Post
I can't find a link, but Brazil's indoor volleyball team also goes by their first name. Their uniform even has their first name, not last name. Sunderland explained it, but I forgot what he said.
It's common for all Brazilian athletes to do that. For example, Nene Hilario, who plays in the NBA, professionally simply goes by Nene (and that's the name that's on his jersey).
Old 08-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #410
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_man2 View Post
I couldn't watch diving because of that Nancy Grace voice.
Funny, I really dislike Nancy Grace but never noticed a similarity to her voice. As I said above, I really like Cynthia Potter.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #411
cmontyburns
Excellent.

I was probably a bit hard on Elfie Schlegel above. She's no rock star, but she's a good complement to the broadcast. I really enjoyed listening to her and Daggett tonight. Even Al toned it down!
Old 08-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #412
mike_k

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskay View Post
Something like it's common for Brazilian sport stars to only go by one name - like Pelé.

ETRTS (edited to recognize the smeek): or Nenę
mike_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #413
Amnesia
The Question

I'm watching the BVB gold medal match (from NBCOlympics.com) streaming in one browser and I have the live scores (from London2012.com) in another. The NBC "live" video stream is consistently about 3 points behind...
Old 08-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #414
robojerk

Quote:
I'm watching the BVB gold medal match (from NBCOlympics.com) streaming in one browser and I have the live scores (from London2012.com) in another. The NBC "live" video stream is consistently about 3 points behind...
I work with a guy whose parents come from Korea, the NBC stream was 3-5 minutes behind the korean stream.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #415
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
I predict

Spoiler:

a gold medal for the USA!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #416
Amnesia
The Question

Way to put yourself out there!
Old 08-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #417
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

yup.

I hope I am right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #418
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

YAY!!

I was right

Old 08-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #419
Amnesia
The Question

All I can say is Wow! Congrats to the winning team...
Old 08-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #420
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:

Plus, Misty & Kerry is a lot easier than May-Treanor & Walsh-Jennings.

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote