TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
garcjny

Series 2 to HD

I've been a Tivo user since 2000. I have had my latest series 2 for five years. I want to get a HD version of the box. They now tell me I had a product lifetime warrenty on it and I must get a new lifetime warrenty for almost $400. I've had three boxes in my Tivo lifetime and never had a problem upgrading and no one ever mentioned a product lifetime subscription. I was under the impression that I brought a lifetime subscription in 2000.

Two questions: Is product support right that I have to get a new lifetime subscription? Is there any way to upgarde the series 2 to HD since it works fine?

I know they need to make money, but it stinks.

Oh well....

thanks
garcjny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

It's not a "lifetime warranty"
It's "lifetime Tivo service subscription" for THAT box, and it's not transferrable.
There were the occasional transfer with fee, but it's been at least 5 years since they offered that.

With a new HD unit you would need to buy that new unit a lifetime subscription.
..and no, you can't "upgrade the S2" to do HD.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
garcjny

Ok. thanks. I did not mean warranty, I meant I had "lifetime service" 12 years ago. There was no "product lifetime service" at that time. It was only "lifetime service." That's what stinks.
garcjny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcjny View Post
Ok. thanks. I did not mean warranty, I meant I had "lifetime service" 12 years ago. There was no "product lifetime service" at that time. It was only "lifetime service." That's what stinks.
It was always service for the lifetime of the unit, not lifetime of the owner.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:27 AM   #5
replaytv
deadbeat doofus

Sell your lifetimed box on eBay and use that money to help pay for the HD box. But look into a discount for the lifetime for the new box first. You can buy a Premiere for $50 on craigslist. Then put lifetime on it.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
mattack

Quote:
If it really was *over* 12 years ago (sometime in 2000, IIRC), then you have a ONE TIME transfer.. or it sounds like you already used that.

It was clarified to mean that it is only for that box.. That was always their intention (IMHO), it just wasn't completely clear at first.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
I've been a Tivo user since 2000. I have had my latest series 2 for five years. I want to get a HD version of the box. They now tell me I had a product lifetime warrenty on it and I must get a new lifetime warrenty for almost $400. I've had three boxes in my Tivo lifetime and never had a problem upgrading and no one ever mentioned a product lifetime subscription. I was under the impression that I brought a lifetime subscription in 2000.

Two questions: Is product support right that I have to get a new lifetime subscription? Is there any way to upgarde the series 2 to HD since it works fine?

I know they need to make money, but it stinks.

Oh well....

thanks
So after you paid for what is now known as Product Lifetime Service back in 2000 (before January 20th, 2000?), have you had to make any monthly payments at all to TiVo? Have you only had one unit at the time?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

If you are willing to go with a used box you can pick up an S3HD on eBay, with lifetime, for around $300. Then sell your S2. Keep in mind that any of the HD boxes will require a CableCard unless you are just connecting to OTA.