TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-22-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
Hank
AC•FTW

Breaking Bad S05E02 "Madrigal" OAD 7.22.12

Decent episode -- just basic "plot building" which I expected to happen.

Also, the Super-Magnet-Truck wasn't really needed (despite what Walt thought), as Fring's notebook was definitely encrypted.

I liked how the writers created the catch-22 for Mike getting back in.

Can't wait to see where they start cooking again.

Have we seen the end of the German company's involvement?
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
redrouteone
This Space for Lease

Like you said a plot building episode. One thing I did not like was the suicide by AED scene. My understanding is that AED have will detect if there is a heart beat or if they are not attached correctly. In that case they will not work.
redrouteone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
Beryl

It was good. Poor Skylar.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
They might as well have a shark jump out of the toilet when that guy killed himself with the AED.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrouteone View Post
One thing I did not like was the suicide by AED scene. My understanding is that AED have will detect if there is a heart beat or if they are not attached correctly. In that case they will not work.
It was a very minor plot point, so I'm willing to let that one go. He did tear off one electrode and put it in his mouth, so who knows how the device would respond/malfunction to that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataylor View Post
They might as well have a shark jump out of the toilet when that guy killed himself with the AED.
LOL!
Old 07-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #6
bryhamm
randomize

Decent to push the story along.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:58 PM   #7
drumorgan
a "dry" funny

Yes, I just got CPR certified and learned what the AED was and they were clear that you could put it on a healthy person and it would do nothing.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:42 AM   #8
panictivo
Registered Fool

Seasons 1 < 2 < 3 < 4, but 5 < 4?

Every season has been MUCH better than the last. I don't think that will be possible this season with the loss of Gus. Every scene with Gus was exciting and unpredictable.

I am tired of the stupidity of Jesse and Walt together. It is their interaction with others that is interesting.

I hope the writers stop doing those obviously physically impossible things like the truck magnet destruction of the evidence room and the AED electrocution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrouteone
One thing I did not like was the suicide by AED scene. My understanding is that AED have will detect if there is a heart beat or if they are not attached correctly. In that case they will not work.
I think AEDs shock only after detecting ventricular fibrillation or fast ventricular tachycardia heart problems. They can't be used for murder or suicide.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:45 AM   #9
TheMerk
Always Bid First

Oh God, not another week of bickering over a plot point.

Good episode. Advanced the plot and introduced a new character.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

TheMerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:33 AM   #10
rrrobinsonjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMerk View Post
Oh God, not another week of bickering over a plot point.
BYE!!!!!
rrrobinsonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:20 AM   #11
danterner
Not it!

Perhaps the Super-Magnet-Truck was so powerful that it shorted out the safety protocols of the AED in Germany. (That's what I'm going with, anyway, and I hope others are willing to accept this explanation too so we can avoid the AED rabbit hole). Not knowing much about the operation of AEDs (or magnets, for that matter), neither of those have subtracted from my enjoyment of the show. One thing that did stand out to me was how quickly the Pollos sign was being taken down. That didn't seem too realistic, unless the closing of that particular one was preplanned and the timing coincidental.

Generally, I really liked the episode and didn't mind that it was a momentum-building episode. Dominoes have to be set up before they can be knocked down, and this is only episode two of the season.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:26 AM   #12
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
One thing that did stand out to me was how quickly the Pollos sign was being taken down. That didn't seem too realistic, unless the closing of that particular one was preplanned and the timing coincidental.
That wasn't an actual location that was closing down, that was the hallway of Madrigal Electromotive (Food Division) which had signs of all their "brands" of restaurant investments.

Surely, if the owner/CEO of one of your brands was blown up in a huge meth production/dealing ring, that the upper management knew nothing about (except that one guy), surely they would be divesting themselves of all ties as soon as possible.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:50 AM   #13
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank

That wasn't an actual location that was closing down, that was the hallway of Madrigal Electromotive (Food Division) which had signs of all their "brands" of restaurant investments.
Ah, got it - that makes much more sense. I had thought it was a food court-type area, like the type you would see in an airport (or, I presumed, the interior of a major company like Madrigal).

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
Old 07-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #14
MikeMar
Go Pats

I really need to go back and watch season 4 again. But what was the exact relation to Gus was the girl that wanted the 11 killed?

MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #15
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
I really need to go back and watch season 4 again. But what was the exact relation to Gus was the girl that wanted the 11 killed?
This was the first we've seen of her.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #16
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
So Gus smartly has his computer encrypted, but he kept the account numbers of his workers' accounts laying around in plain text? That seems like a huge oversight. The DEA really wouldn't have had much to go on if they hadn't found that money.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #17
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
This was the first we've seen of her.
Excellent!

MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #18
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
So Gus smartly has his computer encrypted, but he kept the account numbers of his workers' accounts laying around in plain text? That seems like a huge oversight. The DEA really wouldn't have had much to go on if they hadn't found that money.
Maybe this is a movie reality and not actual reality, but along those lines, why wouldn't have Gus just used "numbered accounts" instead of named accounts? (Like in the movies, usually Bond films) where the Swiss/Cayman accounts are just numbered? If he did that, the DEA wouldn't have had a lead on anyone (Mike, Chow, etc).

Also, despite Gus having the Cayman Island account written down in plain text behind the photo, if it weren't for the Super-Magnet-Truck, the DEA never would have found it. So most of Ep2 was a direct result of the truck caper.

Also, where can I try "Franch"?
Old 07-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #19
David Platt
Have an A-1 Day!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Can't wait to see where they start cooking again.
I speculated this in last week's thread. Spoilered because it is based on info external to the show (an interview with Aaron Paul):

Spoiler:
He said that their new location was a 'blue collar' location that has been staring them in the face all along. My bet is on the car wash.

David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #20
BitbyBlit

Quote:
I think it was just his own account number, which led to the other accounts when the DEA followed the money trail. I doubt he would have wanted to trust that number to memory, so he would have had to write something down, either the number itself or the password to decrypt the encrypted number.

Somebody breaking into his office would focus on his laptop because that would be a source of information, but they would have no idea where to start looking for account information hidden anywhere else (if they even thought to), nor would they have had the time to do so while Gus was alive. So if someone broke in, quickly grabbed his laptop, and ran, they still wouldn't get his account number even in encrypted form.

Once Gus was dead, and the police had the right to thoroughly go though his place, they could find everything he had hidden. But I don't think Gus really cared what would happen to information about him if he ever died.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #21
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
I speculated this in last week's thread. Spoilered because it is based on info external to the show (an interview with Aaron Paul):

Spoiler:
He said that their new location was a 'blue collar' location that has been staring them in the face all along. My bet is on the car wash.
I posted the same guess at the end of season 4. I'm not convinced, though, In the previews for next week:

Spoiler:
Walt,Jesse and Mike agree on "terms" and then Mike says "Ok, let's take a tour". So I suspect that Gus had a small backup lab somewhere else, or maybe an older, previously used lab. There was actually a fraction-of-a-second shot of a small lab, like a mini-super lab.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #22
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I posted the same guess at the end of season 4. I'm not convinced, though, In the previews for next week:

Spoiler:
Walt,Jesse and Mike agree on "terms" and then Mike says "Ok, let's take a tour". So I suspect that Gus had a small backup lab somewhere else, or maybe an older, previously used lab. There was actually a fraction-of-a-second shot of a small lab, like a mini-super lab.
Nah, the problem there is space. While there's LOTS of space above ground (parking lot, inside the car wash tunnel), that's all exposed. There's no interior structure other than the car was office. Anything underground would be buried water & soap pipes, certainly nothing like the laundry (which looked to be DESIGNED with the underground lab). There's no way he'd be able to build something like that without being noticed. He'd also need lots of $, which at the moment he doesn't appear to have.

Did Aaron Paul do an amazing job after emptying the Rumba or what? Not to mention, he's sounding a lot less like the doofusy kid, the opening phone call barely sounded like Jesse at all.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #23
danterner
Not it!

I think the spoilered location is the most likely place. The only other possibilities that come to mind are the junkyard or, in an ironic "full circle twist", the chemistry lab at Walt's old school (very unlikely but very poetic if the writers can explain away multiple implausibilities/problems that spring to mind). Another possibility would be the vacant roller skating rink (that's what it was, right?) that they visited at the end of Season 3. Saul had suggested it as a laundering location. Maybe they could acquire and repurpose it?

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:

Last edited by danterner : 07-23-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #24
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
How about the now-abandoned Pollos Hermanos restaurant location?
Old 07-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #25
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by panictivo View Post
I think AEDs shock only after detecting ventricular fibrillation or fast ventricular tachycardia heart problems. They can't be used for murder or suicide.
Maybe that's why the guy put one of the leads in his mouth instead of both of the leads on his chest. Perhaps this would fool the AED into reading a bad heart beat and then would adminster the jolt which would kill the guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
Did Aaron Paul do an amazing job after emptying the Rumba or what? Not to mention, he's sounding a lot less like the doofusy kid, the opening phone call barely sounded like Jesse at all.
YES!!! VERY WELL DONE!!!!

A most enjoyable episode and as others have said it mostly was setting up things for the future.

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #26
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
How about the now-abandoned Pollos Hermanos restaurant location?
Or even better -- how about the recently vacated APD evidence room!

Old 07-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #27
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Hey, AMC, drumming into your audience WHO IS WATCHING that they can't watch AMC on Dish makes as much sense as the MPAA telling the captive audience who bought movie tickets not to steal the movie.

Get it? Dish subscribers who can't get AMC aren't going to see your message that they can't watch AMC.

With that and the Small Town Security promos AMC=Aggravating Message Channel
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #28
formercatholick

Wink AED scene BS

Former paramedic...the AED scene is BS. Even if pulling a pad off and placing the exposed wire in his mouth shorted out the AED's detect for the only two heart rhythms it would shock, the shock delivered is not enough to kill a living person. I'm a former paramedic for a reason... I actually accidentally shocked someone we had just resuscitated. The patient had a beating heart, and at the same joule setting as an AED has, the shock delivered only temporarily altered the heart beat... but didn't stop it and certainly wouldn't kill anyone.

Having said that, there are a lot of little errors this show and ALL TV and Cinema makes. It's fun to spot them but let's not focus on them. Hands down, this show is nothing short of THE BALLZ.
formercatholick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #29
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Talk about acting with only facial expressions...Skyler looked like she wanted to say something about 3 times. Her lips moved but she never said a word.

Methinks that's an omen that Skyler may betray Walt sometime.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #30
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Talk about acting with only facial expressions...Skyler looked like she wanted to say something about 3 times. Her lips moved but she never said a word.

Methinks that's an omen that Skyler may betray Walt sometime.
"may"?? She's already betrayed him at least twice (that I can think of).