TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

Fox Cancel's Alcatraz & The Finder

Fox has thrown out the keys for freshman series 'Alcatraz' and 'The Finder'.

The cancellation's don't come as a surprise given the recent performance of both dramas. However, die-hard fans of the mystery series from JJ Abrams are sure to be disappointed.

'Alcatraz' had been up on the chopping block since its ratings started to dwindle from the 9.9 million that watched the series premiere. However, the nail was in the coffin after its season finale drew just 4.7 million.

'Bones' spin-off 'The Finder' drew an even smaller 3.9 million viewers for its season ender.

Meanwhile, Fox has renewed Kiefer Sutherland-starrer 'Touch'. While down significantly from its season premiere of 12.1 million, the series drew 6.8 million viewers for its latest episode.

The renewal was helped by strong international sales for the first season given '24's popularity worldwide. But we don't expect the drama from 'Heroes' Tim Kring to last past the second season.

Fox has already renewed 'The Simpsons', 'American Dad', 'The Cleveland Show', 'Bones', 'Glee', 'Kitchen Nightmares', 'New Girl', 'Raising Hope' and 'Fringe'.

'Fringe' will return for a thirteen episode final season next fall.

That sucks I liked both shows better than Touch...
2 DirecTV HR20-700 HD DVR's
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
markymark_ctown

how is alcatraz? have the season saved up for summer viewing, but haven't watched it or heard much about it. worth watching?
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark_ctown View Post
how is alcatraz? have the season saved up for summer viewing, but haven't watched it or heard much about it. worth watching?
It was OK. The premise was interesting, but the execution kind of poor. Watch a couple of episodes to see what you think. If it's only OK to you too, remember it's canceled, delete and go watch something else

But enjoy Sarah Jones for a couple of episodes anyway.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I quit watching Alcatraz like half way through the season. I just didn't see the show going anywhere.

I've never even heard of The Finder. I've never seen an episode of Bones, so probably not a big surpise.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Would've liked to see Alcatraz renewed but oh well. Even though I watch the Finder I'm not surprised it was canceled.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
janry

Dang! I guess we'll never find out the Island's mystery.
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by janry View Post
Dang! I guess we'll never find out the Island's mystery.
Is this a Lost thread?

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark_ctown View Post
I'll vote no. I watched it start to finish, but have no problem with FOX cancelling it. The writing at its best wasn't very strong, and often was terrible.

I think you would be disappointed in the poor writing, plus the fact there are some long-term mysteries, and they are NOT resolved.

Spoiler related to my desire for closure on Alcatraz (but not really a spoiler):

Spoiler:
I do wish we could learn how the inmates were transported to the present day. Maybe JJ or someone involved could give us a little closure by filling in a few blanks for us. Yeah, I know, unlikely. But one can wish.

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
Church AV Guy

I too likes Alcatraz and The Finder better than Touch, but I understand the economics of the medium. Still, it's too bad: Secret rooms that need three keys to open, and that can't be broken into, confederate gold, time travel (or not). All good stuff, but not very well executed.

Not it's not a LOST thread, but Hurley was still the best thing about the show... not a Lost thread...not a Lost thread...

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #10
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Dang. I was one of the 4.7. I was enjoying the show.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #11
holee
Uncertain

It's shows like this that give serialized storytelling a bad rap. I would like for more shows to have ongoing storylines in the background, but not at the expense of stretching them out just to hit multiple seasons.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #12
WhiskeyTango

IMO, part of the problem with this show was that it tried to go the same route as other JJ Abrams shows by starting off mostly procedural with little hints of the big mystery and then getting more and more into the mystery as the series moved along. LOST started off mostly about survivors of a plane crash. Fringe was a monster of the week show at first. To me, the simple bad guy of the week stories weren't nearly as interesting as the mystery so the first half of the season was just ok. I think it started to get better towards the end as we got more and more into the big arc.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #13
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

How is it that the OP cut and pasted the text of an article, but included an errant apostrophe? Was that in the original article or did the OP add that in after pasting it?

Edit: The OP's article came from http://www.tvshark.com/read/?art=arc9016 and it looks like the errant apostrophe in the text was from the original, but the one in the OP's thread title was not. Looks like that's one site I'll avoid when looking for TV news.

I watched half the season of Alcatraz and then got behind and it hasn't been a priority to catch up. I always intended to finish the season at some point, but now I probably won't bother, since it doesn't sound like the ending was very satisfying.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #14
DeDondeEs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
I quit watching Alcatraz like half way through the season. I just didn't see the show going anywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by holee View Post
It's shows like this that give serialized storytelling a bad rap. I would like for more shows to have ongoing storylines in the background, but not at the expense of stretching them out just to hit multiple seasons.
This and this. After 4 or so episodes it just seemed like one of those shows that was going to meander on and on. Also that prison door ratcheting shut sound they used to transition between present and past scenes was very annoying.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #15
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I'll vote no. I watched it start to finish, but have no problem with FOX cancelling it. The writing at its best wasn't very strong, and often was terrible.

I think you would be disappointed in the poor writing, plus the fact there are some long-term mysteries, and they are NOT resolved.

Spoiler related to my desire for closure on Alcatraz (but not really a spoiler):

Spoiler:
I do wish we could learn how the inmates were transported to the present day. Maybe JJ or someone involved could give us a little closure by filling in a few blanks for us. Yeah, I know, unlikely. But one can wish.
You really think they know? The writing was so lousy - and we had verified from Jorge - it was obvious they were making it up as they went along. I expect if they continued there would have been a lotta plot cheats.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 05-10-2012 at 10:49 PM.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #16
taronga

I'm going to miss The Finder. Sure it was lightweight, but it was fun and entertaining - far more so than Bones is these days.
taronga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #17
Thom

I stopped watching Alcatraz, but I do enjoy The Finder.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #18
mattack

Bummer, I like Alcatraz.. I still have a few unwatched, and will watch them, unlike the people here who nuke a show when it's cancelled!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #19
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Bummer, I like Alcatraz.. I still have a few unwatched, and will watch them, unlike the people here who nuke a show when it's cancelled!
We'd gotten to the point of stockpiling them since it wasn't on our list to watch right away. So we're deep-sixing them....no point in watching something that will never be resolved...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #20
TheMerk
Always Bid First

Same here. We watched the first 3 or so, but put it on the back burner. I had suspected that we would pick it up again suing the summer, but now that it's cancelled, I've deleted all the episodes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/

TheMerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:45 PM   #21
busyba
The Funcooker

Are these real cancellations, or "cancellations" like how P&R, 30 Rock and Community were allegedly "canceled"?

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:12 AM   #22
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

These are real. But it definitely merits the question.

CBS also canceled "A Gifted Man" for real yesterday.

and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:24 AM   #23
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by taronga View Post
I'm going to miss The Finder. Sure it was lightweight, but it was fun and entertaining - far more so than Bones is these days.
Me too. At least there was no big arc to be left hanging.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:26 AM   #24
janry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
CBS also canceled "A Gifted Man" for real yesterday.
We watched it but it was getting old after about the 4th episode. No big loss.
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #25
markz
Hilarity Ensues

I watched Alcatraz but wasn't that into it. We really liked The Finder though. We don't watch Touch.

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #26
Barryrod

I watched The Finder every week
Old 05-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #27
DeDondeEs

We should just cut to the chase on these cancellations and call Fox the American Idol Channel, CBS the Survivor/Amazing Race Channel, ABC the Dancing with the Stars Channel, and NBC the "Hey, Howard Stern is on America's Got Talent" Channel.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #28
TheMerk
Always Bid First

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
We should just cut to the chase on these cancellations and call Fox the American Idol Channel, CBS the Survivor/Amazing Race Channel, ABC the Dancing with the Stars Channel, and NBC the "Hey, Howard Stern is on America's Got Talent" and Biggest Loser Channel.
FYP

/
/
/

TheMerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #29
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by holee View Post
I agree with you here and I think a show like The Mentalists suffers from this too. Do you think Red John will ever be captured or will they just continue to draw it out season after season after season. I stopped watching when I realized that he was smarter than Simon.
I would much rather watch Person Of Interest which at least closes some of the storylines before you get too bored.
TiVoXL4 - 2TB (1TB external)
Cablevision Raritan Valley, NJ
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #30
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Gulfer View Post

Fox has already renewed ' 'The Cleveland Show',
Where did you find info about The Cleveland Show? According to this it hasn't been renewed yet.

http://www.cinemablend.com/televisio...how-42388.html