TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
Gerryex

Major Crimes - 9/10/12 ** SPOILERS **

Hi ALL,

Now I found this episode to be quite good. Certainly the character played by Mary McDonnell is no Closer, but with the majority of the detectives from The Closer staying with this new show and their entertaining interactions, this show is shaping up as a pretty fair replacement to The Closer.

However, the character of Rusty is TERRIBLE!! I assume he's there to soften and humanize Capt Raydor but I cringe every time he appears in a scene.

A very big similarity is that in the beginning of the Closer all the detectives were very leary of their new boss. Here some of them, most notibly Det. Provenza, were quite angry about their new boss. But in The Closer, within a few episodes everyone fell in line and started to work very well with Brenda Leigh. Here within a couple of episodes Det. Provenza no longer seems to have a problem with Capt Raydor and is working well with her.

Anyway, in my opinion not a bad show!

Gerry

P. S. Julio was Rambo-awesome at the end with that high power rifle firing into the trailer!!
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post
P. S. Julio was Rambo-awesome at the end with that high power rifle firing into the trailer!!
He did seem to take that whole situation rather...personally. I was also amused by his interrogation in the gun shop.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
john4200

You do not need to put "spoilers" in the thread title of an episode thread; however, it is helpful to have the title of the episode ("Citizens Arrest") in the thread title.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I was also amused by his interrogation in the gun shop.
I couldn't tell whether Sykes was really worried that he was going to kill him, or if she was just doing a good job of playing good cop. He did try to give her a look to let her know what he was doing, but Sykes is so dense I'm not sure if she got it.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
I couldn't tell whether Sykes was really worried that he was going to kill him, or if she was just doing a good job of playing good cop. He did try to give her a look to let her know what he was doing, but Sykes is so dense I'm not sure if she got it.
Maybe she could have been all, "Hey, dude, you can't do that!"

And he'd be all, "Shut up!" And then he shoots her in the face.

That would have really sold the bad cop act...
Old 09-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
john4200

Quote:
Sold, paid, and put it to rest.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:59 AM   #7
Craigbob

I like that we are seeing more of Tao playing a role. Count me in the camp of get rid of Rusty.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
Jon J
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post
Julio was Rambo-awesome at the end with that high power rifle firing into the trailer!!
He just called on his character in Breaking Bad for reference.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
john4200

I was not so impressed by Sanchez shooting up the trailer. That was a very risky thing to do. I would have been more impressed if he managed to shoot the guy before he went into the trailer. Shooting him outside the trailer looked to have been possible, although it would have been a trade-off since Sanchez would have been putting himself more at risk in order to put the hostage less at risk.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
AlphaDelta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigbob View Post
I like that we are seeing more of Tao playing a role. Count me in the camp of get rid of Rusty.
Rusty's taken the role of "Kitty".
Old 09-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #11
Beryl

I'm behind on this series by an episode or two but I did like what I've seen so far. Mary MacD. is classy smart and her character reminds me of her anal refined role in "Sneakers". She was also "an excellent markswoman" there. (I think that was her line towards the end.)
Old 09-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Rusty is probably the best part of the show; otherwise it'd really just be The Closer without Brenda. With Brenda we never seemed to get Sharon's intent -- it was there under the surface of her protecting Brenda, but it seemed they were more interested in her motivations being misunderstood by the characters -- over and over again. With Rusty, we get a better insight into Sharon's motivations, mostly because it gives the show a way to let them be expressed. And with the Rusty <-> Sharon relationship, and how they're learning about trusting each other, we probably will have parallels with Sharon's relationships with the other detectives and we'll see them grow/mature as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #13
Flop

Quote:
Maybe she could have been all, "Hey, dude, you can't do that!"

And he'd be all, "Shut up!" And then he shoots her in the face.

And improved the show
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #14
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon J View Post
He just called on his character in Breaking Bad for reference.
I still remember him as a sniper in Clear and Present Danger.

The hamfisted take down still bugged me though. They're crouched in the back of the van with rifles. Dad kills son and they're still hunkered down deciding if maybe they should do something. Guy with pistol empties that, reloads, walks slowly to the trailer all while they stumble out the back of the van. Neither of them looks out the now shattered windshield to see that he's heading to the van where they believe the girl is hidden.

After he gets into the trailer the guy walks very slowly towards the back, giving Julio time to run up to it and ask someone looking at the thermal camera if the girl is still lying down in the back (van and it's camera aimed precisely) before shooting a row of high shots.

The whole exchange was a setup. Someone thought it would be cool to have him shoot blind into the trailer so we hear Raydor ask for the thermal camera. We had another peek at the camera to remind us. Then it came in handy for the blind shooting later.

The whole exchange between the crazy guy and the cops was just to set us up to see the magic blind shooting with the thermal camera as a spotter.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote