Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
jradosh
Newlywed

Food Network Star - All Season Thread

No thread yet? Well... there is now.

What do y'all think of the new format for the show? I'm enjoying it so far because I really like the increased interaction between the "mentors" and the contestants. I'm curious what will happen, though, if one of the celebrities loses all their team?

As far as the contestants... I don't have much of a favorite so far. They all seem kind of bland except for the young kid (Alton Brown Jr.). So I guess I'm rooting for him.

If the fat Asian guy says "Hand Crafted" one more time I'm going to pitch a shoe at the TV.

Giada's not much of a mentor. And that one woman freaking out because she was staring at her... that was some funny stuff!

So... am I the only one watching?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
dthmj
Hinky

I'm watching. But have not made it through the second episode yet.

I don't have a favorite yet either.

- Gaming Blog

- My brand new personal blog!
dthmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
SullyND
W:29-16

My wife and I like the new format. Not sure anyone jumps out at me, I like the hand-crafted guy, the kid, and the woman who was freaked out by Giada (Giada kind of freaks me out too) but I'm not sure I'd watch a show focused on any of them.

Nicki has annoyed me since day one, I hope she is next to go.
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
Ruth
Now with toddler

I'm watching!

The new format is about a million times better than the old format. They took some good elements from the formats of Worst Cooks in America and MasterChef and it really improved the interest level for me. It seems like the production has much more quality, too. I'm glad they are finally really putting some effort into this show.

The Chopped cross-over episode was fun.

As for the contestants, so far I like Michelle (the one freaked out by Giada, LOL) and Justin (Alton's mini-me, I think that's his name).

Overall it's amusing how the teams reflect their mentors' personalities.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
snowjay
40mph couch potato

I like the new format.

We need some girl on grill action!
snowjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
JoBeth66
Temp

I guess I'm the lone 'I can't STAND the new format' person. It seems to me they are looking for a personality who they can maybe train to cook, more than a cook/chef with the right personality. The challenges are all ridiculous and have nothing to do with their cooking OR presentation skills, for the most part (putting on a presentation on a moving bus?)

It just feels off, to me. And what are they going to do if something happens like the same team losing multiple team challenges so you end up with 5 people left on Bobby's team, 5 people left on Giada's team, and 2 people left on Alton's team? How do you balance out challenges if that happens - or do you 'craft' the show so that DOESN'T happen (which means the producers possibly sending home a better candidate so that the teams stay on level playing fields)?

The Chopped challenge was ok, but the last team got a /markedly/ better balanced basket than the 2nd team did. They should have all gotten the same ingredients to work with.

It doesn't help that there's not a single one of the cooks yet that has a concept I'd be interested in watching.

I'll keep watching, but at this point, I can't see me watching any of their shows.
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

I was gonna give up 'til I saw the new format. I like it as well. The one thing I do find annoying are the guest judges. As in Top Chef, so many of them are sooo full of themselves.

BTW, Master Chef is return on Fox. Hells Kitchen and Top Chef I'm over. Unless of course they bring something new to the...errr...table.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #8
bryhamm
randomize

Never watched it before. What was the old format like?

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #9
sharkster

Another good episode, but I think they let the wrong one go this time. This was the first week (of this season) that I felt that way.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:10 AM   #10
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryhamm View Post
Never watched it before. What was the old format like?
In the old format there were no teams or mentors.... just a collection of would-be food network stars who competed in challenges and were judged on their performance (although sometimes they would be split into teams and compete as such). There were winners and losers. There were guests who would be involved in the challenges (usually Food Network stars like Alton, Giada, etc.) but in the end two people would be up for elimination and the same two network dweebs would pick one to send home.

I agree with JoBeth that the challenges in the previous format did seem to be more suited to the theme of grooming a Food Network host.

Check out
Old 05-31-2012, 10:25 AM   #11
Flop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Another good episode, but I think they let the wrong one go this time. This was the first week (of this season) that I felt that way.
I have to agree. I think Martie should be gone. As for her the judges always saying she has some innate charisma, I haven't seen any of it. Maybe live and in-person she has some charisma, but not any that came through on the episodes I've seen.
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:28 AM   #12
NatasNJ
Bone marrow lover!

None of these people are a STAR.

Of all these shows how many have been truly successful? 1? (Guy)
NatasNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:38 AM   #13
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flop View Post
I have to agree. I think Martie should be gone. As for her the judges always saying she has some innate charisma, I haven't seen any of it. Maybe live and in-person she has some charisma, but not any that came through on the episodes I've seen.
Yeah, she's a turn off to me, but the guy who got the ax (sorry, still too many cheftestants and I cannot remember names yet) seems to have a better presence and more potential.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:50 AM   #14
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post

And he's not a star for cooking. He's a star for a show about other people cooking.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:55 AM   #15
lambertman
How'd I get this old

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post

1 mega-star, 1 currently doing very well in the ratings (Sandwich King Jeff), 2 others still in production of their original show (Big Daddy Aaron and Melissa), 1 seemingly on her way out (Aarti) and two that are gone (Hearty Boys and Amy).
Plus one runner-up doing alright on Cooking Channel in Kelsey.

I agree that I don't see anything huge from this year's group.

and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:35 AM   #16
cheerdude
Reed & Juliet's CPA

I still think that Amy should not have been allowed to come back in the final -- but that's another thread (and season)
cheerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:28 PM   #17
SullyND
W:29-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
Jeff Saad has a show now too, right? I'm just glad the romulan doesn't have a show.
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:08 PM   #18
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
Jeff Saad has a show now too, right? I'm just glad the romulan doesn't have a show.
Both Saad and Kelsey Nixon have shows. Jeff was one I was rooting for in his season, so I'm glad he's gotten more exposure. Kelsey Nixon - I didn't care one way or the other, but she does a really good job and I continue to watch her show.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:09 PM   #19
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerdude View Post
I still think that Amy should not have been allowed to come back in the final -- but that's another thread (and season)
Ugh! Same here. That was a fiasco and a half.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:30 PM   #20
windracer
joined the 10k club

I don't mind the new format ... it makes it a little more interesting seeing Alton, Bobby, and Giada compete against each other (I loved Alton's "don't touch me!" and gruff demeanor towards Giada in this past episode).

I'm also glad they got rid of the communal house where all the contestants lived (they still might be doing that, I just don't need to see it).

It's weird having Bob and Susie referred to as "the network" but I guess it makes sense in the context of the competition. The pitch room is an odd addition too.

|
windracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:02 PM   #21
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
The pitch room is an odd addition too.
Yeah, what's with the vagina-shaped table?!?!

Check out
Old 05-31-2012, 06:21 PM   #22
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
Yeah, what's with the vagina-shaped table?!?!
Oh great, now like the arrow in the FedEx logo I won't be able to un-see that.

|
Old 06-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #23
GoHalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
1 mega-star, 1 currently doing very well in the ratings (Sandwich King Jeff), 2 others still in production of their original show (Big Daddy Aaron and Melissa), 1 seemingly on her way out (Aarti) and two that are gone (Hearty Boys and Amy).

I agree that I don't see anything huge from this year's group.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
Quote:
Both Saad and Kelsey Nixon have shows. Jeff was one I was rooting for in his season, so I'm glad he's gotten more exposure. Kelsey Nixon - I didn't care one way or the other, but she does a really good job and I continue to watch her show.
Adam Gertler also had a couple of shows as well. I'm not sure if he's still on the network or not.
GoHalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #24
sharkster

I forgot about Adam Gertler. He was another one I really liked. I haven't seen him in anything lately. I hope he continues to be successful.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #25
Flitzy

I, too, loved Adam and Kelsey from the previous seasons. Kid in a Candy Store was one of my favourite shows!

As for this season, I think the new format is different - it's weird not seeing reactions from the dismissed or how the rest of the crew says goodbye, but I suppose that fits in more with the competition.

My two favourites, at this point, are Emily, Nikki, and Justin. I love the style Emily brings and Justin is unique and very Alton-ish. I think Nikki is a female Bobby Flay, but her dishes are fantastic so I can live with that. I think I would watch either of their shows.

I did like Michelle, but she seems to have lost a little bit of her charisma.

I agree that Martie should have been gone well before now. I think she's mostly been saved because of the rest of her team, honestly.
Flitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #26
Alfer
WOOSAH!

We've been watching and still enjoying the show.

My wife and I agree that the retro lady is about the only one who seems remotely camera friendly and can see having her own show.

The rest are pretty much duds. Meaning we can't even imagine wanting to watch any of them do a 30 minute show of their own.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #27
sharkster

I was so hoping to see that Peggy Sue woman gone. ETA - Oops, her name is Martie? I just can't remember hardly any of the names until it gets whittled down a bit. I'm going to be totally confused after Masterchef and Hell's Kitchen get going today! (but YAY anyway!)

Retro lady is ok, but I think she will get better and better. I think it must be so hard to just drop the 'trying too hard' shtick and shine through that. That seems to be what they (Bob & Susie) try to push more than anything.

Of the two up for elimination this week, I'm glad they choose the one they did but I'd have rather seen both of them stay longer.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #28
Flitzy

Quote:
I was so hoping to see that Peggy Sue woman gone. ETA - Oops, her name is Martie? I just can't remember hardly any of the names until it gets whittled down a bit. I'm going to be totally confused after Masterchef and Hell's Kitchen get going today! (but YAY anyway!)

Retro lady is ok, but I think she will get better and better. I think it must be so hard to just drop the 'trying too hard' shtick and shine through that. That seems to be what they (Bob & Susie) try to push more than anything.

Of the two up for elimination this week, I'm glad they choose the one they did but I'd have rather seen both of them stay longer.
I think Eric was a strong chef, in the mold of Emeril, but he didn't have the ability to connect to the camera like Emeril and I don't think he could have gained that in the short amount of time the contest runs for.

On the same kick, however, I don't know if Ippy can get a camera presence that would make me want to tune in, either. He's likable, sure, but I don't see him being compelling enough to get me to sit through 22 minutes.

I have no idea why Giada is hung up on him, honestly.
Flitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #29
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
I'm also glad they got rid of the communal house where all the contestants lived (they still might be doing that, I just don't need to see it).
Heh, so this week they give me a house scene. At least it was quick.

|
Old 06-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #30
secondclaw

Watching and enjoying it too - but maybe because I am an Alton Brown fan. And Giada scares me too a bit - just the proportions are all wrong. Nice person though ... guess that's all that counts.
I am routing for either the Hawaiian guy or mini-Alton. But as others said - none of them have a 'thing' yet worth watching as a show.
secondclaw is offline   Reply With Quote