Holy CRAP...Beneke is ALIVE!

"We're done, when I say we're done..."

It's baaaaacccckkkkk....
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Jesse and the magnet idea was awesome, but the magnet used was even better!

What was the writing under Gus's photo? I couldn't read it.

and just a Wheeee!!!

I finally got my neighbor to sit down and watch episode one with me at about 8pm. He is hooked too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:05 AM   #3
Tyrion The Imp
A Lannister

Awesome episode.

Walt is a total bad ****ing ass.

Jessy and his idea was so great, and hell I want to know what the writing was
Tyrion The Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:08 AM   #4
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
The writing behind the picture is details for a Cayman Islands bank account.

Definitely an awesome episode. I'm guessing the "flash forward" at the beginning is probably to episode 8 (the end of "this season") rather than 16. Does anyone remember milestones within the episodes of earlier seasons that told how old he was? It's pretty clear that the opening scene was his 52nd birthday.

Geeky note: I was a little disappointed with how they depicted the computers being affected by the magnet; they should have just bluescreened or otherwise thrown OS errors, but I understand that laypeople wouldn't be as impressed by that.

Looking forward to a great "ha' season"

Brad
bsnelson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:17 AM   #5
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnelson View Post

Geeky note: I was a little disappointed with how they depicted the computers being affected by the magnet; they should have just bluescreened or otherwise thrown OS errors, but I understand that laypeople wouldn't be as impressed by that.
Specifically, it said:

BANCSUISSE CAYMAN
ROUTING #37010412
KY077212-11099 [at least 2 more numbers covered]
KY087 [at least two more characters covered]

As for the magnet, that whole thing was ridiculous. I was waiting for Walt to tell Jesse that magnets don't work like that except in the movies.

But I'm not sure what your complaint is. That the LCD screens were affected? LCD screens are affected by magnets, which you can easily verify.

The problem with the magnet scheme is that the strength of the magnetic field falls off very quickly with distance. Even with that large electromagnet, you cannot make things fly across the room like that. There is a reason the junkyards drop the magnet into contact with the car to pick it up, instead of holding it 20 feet over the car and waiting for the car to shoot up to the magnet.

Also, no one concerned about data security erases hard drives by putting them in a strong magnetic field. It just does not work reliably. The standard way of disposing of hard drives is to use an industrial strength shredder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd_O7-rqcHc
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:42 AM   #6
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Also, no one concerned about data security erases hard drives by putting them in a strong magnetic field. It just does not work reliably. The standard way of disposing of hard drives is to use an industrial strength shredder.

Data Security - Shredder
You need to upgrade your Flash Player
My only beef is that Walt doesn't know that. With the writing in this show, it could easily come back in a few episodes. Then again, it could be dropped and nobody will care but you, because it's so bats**t crazy at that point. :P

Welcome back, Breaking Bad! BIH Dish Network!

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:45 AM   #7
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy
"We're done, when I say we're done..."
Walter is super arrogant this season and maybe this is setting us up for a powerful and FINAL season.

"Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall" Proverbs 16:18
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:01 AM   #8
Tyrion The Imp
A Lannister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Walter is super arrogant this season and maybe this is setting us up for a powerful and FINAL season.

"Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall" Proverbs 16:18

Isn't this the final season?
Old 07-16-2012, 01:10 AM   #9
Beryl

Yes. That is the point. His attitude makes termination (of him and the show) inevitable and satisfying.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:01 AM   #10
xuxa

Quote:

Definitely an awesome episode. I'm guessing the "flash forward" at the beginning is probably to episode 8 (the end of "this season") rather than 16. Does anyone remember milestones within the episodes of earlier seasons that told how old he was? It's pretty clear that the opening scene was his 52nd birthday.

Brad
He was 50 at the start of season one. We are about a year into the story so the flash forward was a year in the 'future'.
xuxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:57 AM   #11
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

Looking forward to a great "ha' season"

Brad
Well, it worked for me. I guess I am not as geeky as I thought I was...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
My only beef is that Walt doesn't know that. With the writing in this show, it could easily come back in a few episodes. Then again, it could be dropped and nobody will care but you, because it's so bats**t crazy at that point. :P

Welcome back, Breaking Bad! BIH Dish Network!

Greg
Would Walt know that? Is it a chemistry thing or some other science thing? And, to add, Walt is 50 so he may not be as familiar with the science of computers as with the science of the elements. If that makes sense.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #12
mooseAndSquirrel

At a data center conference I attended, somebody presented their research on EMP weapons. A pulse weapon that could fit in a pick up truck would be enough to wipe the evidence room. Now, with the laptop off, I'm not sure if that's the case.

It was worth it for the junkyard guy and that call-back as well as the truck flipping over.
mooseAndSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #13
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Yeah, I thought when Jesse mentioned magnets, that Walt would try to make an EMP generator.

No way you could do anything close to that with a junkyard electromagnet, but I'll have to have more than a bit of suspension of disbelief.
kaszeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #14
DeDondeEs

"I see this thing turning out in many different ways, Miller time isn't one of them"
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #15
bryhamm
randomize

What did Saul have in the zip lock bag? I couldn't tell, but I am guessing it was the laced cigarette.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #16
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryhamm View Post
What did Saul have in the zip lock bag? I couldn't tell, but I am guessing it was the laced cigarette.
It was a laced cigarette. I'm guessing that was a backup.

ETA: Actually, thinking it over, I realized I've got this backward: That's the original ricin cigarette in the baggy; Saul's tough guy lifted that cigarette from Jesse, while Walt found some other way to poison the kid.

Last edited by kaszeta : 07-16-2012 at 10:26 AM.
kaszeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #17
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

You know, I'm still a little perplexed by Walt poisoning the little boy....I know he did it to incite Jesse to join him in killing Gus....but it seems extreme. There certainly were other ways to do that without jeopardizing the life of an innocent child.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #18
Tyrion The Imp
A Lannister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
You know, I'm still a little perplexed by Walt poisoning the little boy....I know he did it to incite Jesse to join him in killing Gus....but it seems extreme. There certainly were other ways to do that without jeopardizing the life of an innocent child.
He's pretty ignorant when it comes to stuff like that. He panicked and was desperate.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #19
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I liked Walt better as a struggling (and winning) good guy. Him poisoning Brock to get Jesse back on his 'side' bugged me. Really a lot. I wish they had done something else to get them on the same team. It was interesting to see Jesse on his own with Mike and all in season 4, and yet still be loyal to Mr. White, and him to Jesse. But the two of them fighting the bad guys is fun. I loved the curve in season 4 that his wife threw him by using the money for IRS.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #20
rrrobinsonjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
Him poisoning Brock to get Jesse back on his 'side' bugged me. Really a lot. I wish they had done something else to get them on the same team.
The whole point of the show is seeing how dark, desperate, power-hungry, and corrupt Walt will become. You should stop watching now.
rrrobinsonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #21
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrobinsonjr View Post
The whole point of the show is seeing how dark, desperate, power-hungry, and corrupt Walt will become. You should stop watching now.
Yeah, like that is going to happen.

Okay, I guess I can live with a desperate, dirty and corrupt Walt, I didn't know that was the point, I thought it was more how the good guy falls, gets up again and then falls or is pushed down again and again and again and again - yet still maintains himself.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #22
Tyrion The Imp
A Lannister

I can understand how you feel. I want to still like Walt, but I feel like I'm not anymore...

But of course that's the point
Old 07-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #23
JoeyJoJo
Damaged Goods

The final scene with Skyler isn't going to do anything to get rid of her fear of him.
JoeyJoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #24
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Hey Future-Walt, you might wanna get that cough checked out.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #25
TheMerk
Always Bid First

/
/
/

TheMerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #26
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Just an FYI...the pilot episode is set on Walter White's 50th birthday.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #27
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryhamm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaszeta View Post
It was a laced cigarette. I'm guessing that was a backup.

ETA: Actually, thinking it over, I realized I've got this backward: That's the original ricin cigarette in the baggy; Saul's tough guy lifted that cigarette from Jesse, while Walt found some other way to poison the kid.
Yeah. They resolved a lot of last season's cliffhanger resolutions that were merely implied. Walt tossed the Lily of the Valley.

Remember that Saul's gorilla patted down Jesse's jacket when he came to Saul's office. We discussed that when you repeated it there was a bit more action to that. The guy had to surreptitiously extract the ricin cigarette out of the pack in Jesse's jacket. Jesse finds that the poison is gone when the kid gets sick and we're off... The poisoned ciggie was in the bag that Saul gave to Walt, saying "You know he has fingers like hot dogs. He could have killed everyone in the office..."

One of many things: Why didn't Walt ever clean up the kitchen bomb factory earlier? He had a bit of time making the bombing attempts after the first one failed.

The (illegals) working at the laundry saw Walt and Jesse, but I guess we will assume that they are scattered to the winds and certainly won't be talking to cops.

Was that preview scene taking place in Albuquerque? Walt had a New Hampshire driver's license. That's quite a drive from NM. I never saw an old Denny's like that with loose chairs at the counter.

This laptop computer product placement brought to you by Dell. No laptop shatters like a Dell. Many Dell owners got some satisfaction, although they said that Gus's was a Samsung.

What was with that one lane dirt road that Mike and Walt/Jesse were driving on? It's a direct route across the desert into Mexico? Where's the border fence?

We didn't get the impression that Mike had any loyalties other than to who was paying him. He wouldn't care that Gustavo was killed.

Another cliff hanger could-go-anyway scene: At the end you wondered if Heisenberg was going to beat up Skyler.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #28
TheMerk
Always Bid First

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post

/
/
/

TheMerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #29
Tyrion The Imp
A Lannister

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
Exactly, so the beginning clip was about 2 years after this whole Pilot.

We have 2 years to cover pretty much.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #30
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I liked Walt better as a struggling (and winning) good guy. Him poisoning Brock to get Jesse back on his 'side' bugged me. Really a lot. I wish they had done something else to get them on the same team. It was interesting to see Jesse on his own with Mike and all in season 4, and yet still be loyal to Mr. White, and him to Jesse. But the two of them fighting the bad guys is fun. I loved the curve in season 4 that his wife threw him by using the money for IRS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrobinsonjr View Post
The main theme that Vince Gilligan had in mind from the start was the guy "Breaking Bad" going from Milquetoast to Brutal Crime Kingpin.

I'd look for Walt to be Tony Montana at the end, maybe losing the family and getting offed in a blaze of gunfire.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote