TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Ultimate Spiderman

I'm an old guy, or at least that is what my nearly 16 YO daughter thinks and I love all things Spiderman. The Spider Friends years IMO are an embarrassment, but I really liked the MTV series and the more serial one that ran for several seasons post 80's with the cool guitar riff at the start.

The Spiderman where he goes to counter earth, it's OK, but I like to see Spidey in his native element, so on to Ultimate Spiderman.

Sure this one is about a Kid, but after watching a few of these on Netflix I'm hooked. Each episode leaves me feeling like I'm going to burst out laughing at any point. It's there built up inside my chest and just looking for a way out. This show is really well done and portrays Spidey as a smart mouth and hilarious kid.

I'm digging it.

Go watch it, it's really good.
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

At the time Spider Man and his Amazing Friends was the greatest show. I would dream about being Spider Man while sitting in boring church. I tried to watch an episode of it recently and it is a terrible show.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
At the time Spider Man and his Amazing Friends was the greatest show. I would dream about being Spider Man while sitting in boring church. I tried to watch an episode of it recently and it is a terrible show.
True. Loved it when it was on. He had a secret hideout and cool friends and junk. I guess I'm letting my current views color my feelings on it. Of course I really really liked the 60's shows. I remember getting up extra early in the morning to watch it when I was visiting relatives in Virginia. You can get everything there without cable!
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
holee
Uncertain

I actually can't stand the Ultimate Spider-Man show. It's too geared towards kids for me. The fourth wall, the slapstick humor, the episodic nature and the lack of character development.

I've enjoyed every Spider-Man cartoon up to now.

I can see why a younger audience would dig this though. It's right up their alley.

In contrasts, I really enjoy the now-cancelled Avengers cartoon, and Young Justice, as the depth of storylines are more of what I enjoy.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by holee View Post
I actually can't stand the Ultimate Spider-Man show. It's too geared towards kids for me. The fourth wall, the slapstick humor, the episodic nature and the lack of character development.

I can see why a younger audience would dig this though. It's right up their alley.

In contrasts, I really enjoy the now-cancelled Avengers cartoon, and Young Justice, as the depth of storylines are more of what I enjoy.
Maybe I'm channeling my inner child, but I dig it. Some of the humor is great and certainly not geared towards kids. The last one referenced quite a few things in the humor sections that only a dedicated spider fan would know, specifically making fun of the other spider franchises like SpiderHam and the Big Head kids specials.
180hr S2

Old 01-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
Waldorf
Super Duper Member

My 5 year old and I dig it.. The slapstick humor and fourth wall stuff makes me think the lead character should be Deadpool.

We also enjoyed the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes series which had a similar feel.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
vertigo235

I tried it and I was also put off by the constant pausing and slapstick, but maybe I'll try it again.

vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #8
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
Is this the 1960s one, whose famous theme song they used in the end credits of the first Tobey McGuire Spider Man (despite obviously not actually fitting with his origin story in that movie).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Is this the 1960s one, whose famous theme song they used in the end credits of the first Tobey McGuire Spider Man (despite obviously not actually fitting with his origin story in that movie).
No. The 60's show was 100% Spiderman. The one being referenced had Spidey, Firestorm, and Iceman as his companions.
180hr S2

Old 01-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #10
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post

No. The 60's show was 100% Spiderman. The one being referenced had Spidey, Firestorm, and Iceman as his companions.
Firestar was hot.

My kids regularly watch this series on Netflix. It's amazing to me how well I remember the episodes from when I watched them at their age. It's true that it doesn't hold up well, but I enjoy it for the nostalgia and they seem to genuinely like it. They watch Ultimate Spider-Man, too, but I haven't really watched it; it's just been background noise. Maybe I should give it some more attention.
| Twitter:

Last edited by danterner : 01-18-2013 at 10:29 AM.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #11
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by holee View Post

Had to look this up since I'm not a theater buff. About the Fourth Wall. In Ultimate I think the show uses the fourth wall more as a device to deliver an aside than anything else. Sure Pete talks directly to us, but this is in general to explain his feelings on a subject, he's just talking to us instead of to thin air.

The bits where good Spidey and bad Spidey sit on his shoulders is funny at times as well. More so in fact than in the classic cartoons from the 60's and 70's.

I'm digging it.
180hr S2

Old 01-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #12
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
The one being referenced had Spidey, Firestorm, and Iceman as his companions.
I think it was Firestar. Firestorm is a DC comics character.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #13
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
You are probably right. I knew it was fire something.
180hr S2

Old 01-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #14
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post

Yes, that's right (I went back and edited my post). Firestorm was "the Nuclear Man"
| Twitter:
Old 01-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #15
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

You guys are missing the best version of all.

It even has Uncle Leo as a bad guy.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #16
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
You guys are missing the best version of all.

It even has Uncle Leo as a bad guy.
I loved watching this one as a kid!
| Twitter:
Old 01-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #17
mattack

The MTV one (I know, mentioned in the orig post) that had Neil Patrick Harris as Spidey was pretty good.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote