Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #31
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Hey, AMC, drumming into your audience WHO IS WATCHING that they can't watch AMC on Dish makes as much sense as the MPAA telling the captive audience who bought movie tickets not to steal the movie.

Get it? Dish subscribers who can't get AMC aren't going to see your message that they can't watch AMC.

With that and the Small Town Security promos AMC=Aggravating Message Channel
Unless they're at a friends house or watching via bittorrent.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #32
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
Did Aaron Paul do an amazing job after emptying the Rumba or what?

Greg
Yes, that scene was amazing. Going from pure relief to horror and shame and guilt that he almost killed Walt. That was extremely impressive.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #33
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Unless they're at a friends house or watching via bittorrent.
If they're watching via bittorrent, they won't see those commercials anyway.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #34
Carlucci
Hiding The Decline

This episode marked the turning point for me. Where Walt was once a mostly sympathetic character, either desperate or trapped, now he is just a despicable drug dealer. I pretty sure this is by design, though. The writers had always tried to make him likeable in spite of his chosen path. But, now that he has had a chance to walk away, nearly unscathed and nearly breaking even, he instead is choosing to continue to pump drugs into the community, and wants to be the kingpin.

I was rooting for Vic Mackey in The Shield through the whole show, and I believe that's what the creators wanted, even knowing he was a
Spoiler:
cop killer
from episode 1. I had a similar anti-hero affection for Walt.

But now that he's just doing it for greed, forget it! He deserves whatever he's got coming, which I imagine will be a substantial world of hurt.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #35
Hank
AC•FTW

While I would mostly agree with that, I think he knows his days are numbered, and he wants to rebuild the nest egg for the rest of his family for when he eventually disappears by his own hand or someone else's. Like Mike says, Walt's a ticking time bomb, and I agree with that.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #36
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

So if Lydia works for Madrigal, and Madrigal has now pledged full cooperation with the DEA's investigation, does it make sense that she'd start the process of killing all the people when she doesn't know what info the DEA already has? And would she be able to provide the methylamine without being detected, given that the DEA is already sniffing up her tree?
Old 07-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #37
Hank
AC•FTW

How do we know Lydia works for Madrigal? I don't think we do.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #38
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
How do we know Lydia works for Madrigal? I don't think we do.
She was sitting next to the Madrigal lawyer at the meeting with the DEA.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #39
mike_k

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlucci View Post
But, now that he has had a chance to walk away, nearly unscathed and nearly breaking even, he instead is choosing to continue to pump drugs into the community, and wants to be the kingpin.
That's why the show is called Breaking Bad, not Breaking Even...
mike_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #40
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataylor View Post
Oh, I definitely missed that. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #41
mike_k

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Yes, that scene was amazing. Going from pure relief to horror and shame and guilt that he almost killed Walt. That was extremely impressive.
I agree. I was afraid for a second that Jesse somehow realized that the cigarette was not his original one (maybe he marked it) and he realized that Walt planted it and thus must have poisoned the kid and lied about it all.
mike_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #42
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm going to have to watch this ep again when I'm not drowsy because I couldn't figure how that woman fit into this at all.

And was it just me, or when the guy (I think it was Hank's boss) was talking about Gus doing all he was doing and nobody noticing what was right in front of them, it sure looked like Hank was replacing "Gus" with "Walt" in that scenario and starting to look at things differently.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #43
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
I'm going to have to watch this ep again when I'm not drowsy because I couldn't figure how that woman fit into this at all.
She works for Madrigal and she is the one that provided Gus with some of the chemicals he needed. She's afraid that with the DEA closing in, and her boss providing full cooperation, it's only a matter of time before they find out she is involved. So she decided to eliminate all possible ties. First, she tried to get Mike to do it, and then when he wouldn't, she hired someone else. And there's no doubt that when Mike or Chris were finished with the list, she would have hired someone else to take them out, thus eliminating everyone from the list.

Unfortunately, she didn't count on a) the DEA being able to trace the money trail so quickly, and b) Mike being such a badass.

Quote:
And was it just me, or when the guy (I think it was Hank's boss) was talking about Gus doing all he was doing and nobody noticing what was right in front of them, it sure looked like Hank was replacing "Gus" with "Walt" in that scenario and starting to look at things differently.
Yes, the camera zoomed in on Hank and we're supposed to think that Hank is starting to realize that Heisenberg could be anyone, even people close to him. It's only a matter of time before Hank figures it out. I think we all knew that's where things were headed.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #44
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I think she's the head of Madrigal's US operation, based in Houston.

Quote:
Oh yeah, Hank's gears are turning.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #45
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_k View Post
I agree. I was afraid for a second that Jesse somehow realized that the cigarette was not his original one (maybe he marked it) and he realized that Walt planted it and thus must have poisoned the kid and lied about it all.
Walter had the original ricin laced cigarette in the ziplock bag in the beginning. If it was marked Walter (and is viewers) would have seen it. I didn't see any markings. I havent played with a rumba, but if it works like any other vacuum, wouldn't it had destroyed the cigarette when if it had gotten picked up? I'm assuming Walter just put it in the waste container.

Quote:
I wondered that too. Hank has that one moment when a drunk Walter said something about Heisenberg not being Gale. Also when Hank shot Tuco, he was searching for Walter. There's some breadcrumbs for Hank to follow, but does he want to see them?
Old 07-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #46
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
Walter had the original ricin laced cigarette in the ziplock bag in the beginning. If it was marked Walter (and is viewers) would have seen it. I didn't see any markings. I havent played with a rumba, but if it works like any other vacuum, wouldn't it had destroyed the cigarette when if it had gotten picked up? I'm assuming Walter just put it in the waste container.
Walt played that off really well. He spent the whole day turning the place upside down with Jesse, acting like he was truly helping to find the cigarette. And then at the end of the day, just in passing, he says, "What the hell is that thing?" as if he has no idea what it is. The way he did that it gave Jesse no way to question whether Walt planted it there.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #47
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
I wondered that too. Hank has that one moment when a drunk Walter said something about Heisenberg not being Gale. Also when Hank shot Tuco, he was searching for Walter. There's some breadcrumbs for Hank to follow, but does he want to see them?
Again, from next week's previews:

Spoiler:
Marie seems like she's the one to put all the pieces together and starts questioning Walt. Maybe she'll figure it out, but keeps it from Hank, or even throws Hank off the Walt trail.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #48
DeDondeEs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataylor View Post
I was confused about that at first too, but I eventually figured out that was her. That's funny how Walter didn't have to do the whole magnet thing to the computer bc it was encrypted, but him doing that brought Mike back into the mix bc everyone lost their money due to the broken picture frame.

When that Chow guy was coming out of the police questioning and ligthing the cigarette in the police station lobby, and Mike told him he couldn't smoke in there, what was the point of that? To show that Chow was all confused and bewildered from the questioning and to give Mike doubt?

Did anyone else have really bad audio for the first few minutes of the show? That was really annoying.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #49
modnar

I wasn't totally clear on what all was happening in the final scene. Walt got in bed, talked to Skylar for a bit, then did something else (removed more clothing, maybe). Then, he turned back to Skylar. It made me think that the writers are implying he was forcing himself upon Skylar - a definite way to make us dislike him.

It was just a super creepy scene.
modnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #50
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
I was confused about that at first too, but I eventually figured out that was her. That's funny how Walter didn't have to do the whole magnet thing to the computer bc it was encrypted, but him doing that brought Mike back into the mix bc everyone lost their money due to the broken picture frame.

When that Chow guy was coming out of the police questioning and ligthing the cigarette in the police station lobby, and Mike told him he couldn't smoke in there, what was the point of that? To show that Chow was all confused and bewildered from the questioning and to give Mike doubt?

Did anyone else have really bad audio for the first few minutes of the show? That was really annoying.
Yeah audio was messed up for me too to start

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #51
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by modnar View Post
I wasn't totally clear on what all was happening in the final scene. Walt got in bed, talked to Skylar for a bit, then did something else (removed more clothing, maybe). Then, he turned back to Skylar. It made me think that the writers are implying he was forcing himself upon Skylar - a definite way to make us dislike him.

My opinion.
Walter knows she is having problems coming to terms with all the horrible things they have done, and he knows she afraid of him. At one point he too felt a lot of guilt, but now he's okay with it. I also think that having her under his thumb turned him on, but I don't think he forced himself on her.

Last edited by robojerk : 07-23-2012 at 04:52 PM.
robojerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #52
modnar

Quote:
My opinion.
Walter knows she is having problems coming to terms with all the horrible things they have done, and he knows she afraid of him. At one point he too felt a lot of guilt, but know he's okay with it. I also think that having her under his thumb turned him on. I don't think he forced himself on her.
That makes sense.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #53
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataylor
How about the now-abandoned Pollos Hermanos restaurant location?
There's no (OK, little) reason that Los Pollos Hermanos couldn't keep operating. With 14 locations, Gus had to have store managers that could carry on. There's just that little issue about the breading plant having handled the blue miracle ice.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #54
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_k

Except that Walt was modeling his phony cig while looking at the original. He would have copied any marks.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #55
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
I think it served two purposes: 1) it showed that he was completely shell shocked from the questioning, and 2) it showed that he was still subject to Mike's authority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modnar View Post

I didn't get that from the scene at all, but I guess maybe I should watch again.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #56
modnar

Quote:
I didn't get that from the scene at all, but I guess maybe I should watch again.
It was the extra movement....as if he was removing more clothing or something that worried me that was what they were trying to insinuate.

But, maybe I just read too much into it.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #57
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlucci View Post
This episode marked the turning point for me. Where Walt was once a mostly sympathetic character, either desperate or trapped, now he is just a despicable drug dealer.
It was actually the scene with the Roomba and Jesse's reactions (yes, awesome) that marked the turning point for me to stop rooting for Walt. Oh I get that he is "$40,000" in debt and needs money, but he is past the point of no return.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #58
robojerk

I think since his $40,000 debt to Jesse helped make it so Jesse doesn't need to run, Jesse would let him off. If all Walter wanted to do was cook, then I think getting back in the game would be okay, however Walter now has an ego and he wants recognition (and power) for all that he's done.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #59
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
I havent played with a rumba, but if it works like any other vacuum, wouldn't it had destroyed the cigarette when if it had gotten picked up? I'm assuming Walter just put it in the waste container.
The first stage of a Roomba is a sweeper that sweeps large debris into a large receptacle on the top of the removable waste bin. The second stage is a vacuum that goes to a second smaller receptacle. Jesse emptied the debris receptacle. It's reasonable for a cigarette to have been swept into there without damage. But Walt probably just stuck it in the receptacle.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #60
mooseAndSquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMerk View Post
Oh God, not another week of bickering over a plot point.

Good episode. Advanced the plot and introduced a new character.
Yep. OMFG.

I loved that scene. The Germans, the sauces, the red toilet on auto flush.

Wow, what a PITA these threads are becoming.

I knew Walt wouldn't throw away the Ricin. I wonder how and when that's going to come back.
mooseAndSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote