TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
robr

How to get video from TiVo 2 floors up

I have a TiVo Premiere (with Cablecard) on the first floor. I just added a TV on the third floor. I can control the TiVo from the 3rd floor with the iPhone app, now I just need to figure out how to get the video out from the TiVo up to the third floor.... inexpensively ($100 or less would be nice) .... without having to run wiring. I understand TiVo has a solution coming sometime this fall, but likely it will have a subscription attached to it and I'd prefer not to wait anyway.

Some transmission medium options are 802.11n or perhaps MoCA. I think we're essentially talking about HDMI over WiFi or MoCA.

Thanks for any ideas!
robr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Personally I just like the brute force method - put a Tivo everywhere I've got a TV.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
robr

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Personally I just like the brute force method - put a Tivo everywhere I've got a TV.
That means paying for another TiVo, another cable card and another TiVo subscription. Not a method I like at all.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

There are some options for HDMI over WiFi that actually work very well. But the cost is around $200 for a transmitter and receiver. They work very well as long as you get a good signal between the transmitter and receiver.

Actiontec sells a product(MyWirelessTV) that a coworker bought.
http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=219

He had superb results in his situation but he was also using it between two adjacent floors.

You could always pick a set up from BestBuy to try out. And if it doesn't work in your situation you could return it.

Another option would be HDMI over twisted pair cable. If you have a Cat5e or Cat6 cable between both locations. We've used this solution at work for clients with no issues.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
robr

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
There are some options for HDMI over WiFi that actually work very well. But the cost is around $200 for a transmitter and receiver. They work very well as long as you get a good signal between the transmitter and receiver.

Actiontec sells a product(MyWirelessTV) that a coworker bought.
http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=219

He had superb results in his situation but he was also using it between two adjacent floors.

You could always pick a set up from BestBuy to try out. And if it doesn't work in your situation you could return it.

Another option would be HDMI over twisted pair cable. If you have a Cat5e or Cat6 cable between both locations. We've used this solution at work for clients with no issues.
Thanks, I'll check out the Actiontec. I'm familiar with HDMI balons over cat5, but I don't have that kind of infrastructure. Only coax.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
BigJimOutlaw

Edit: Aaron beat me to it.

I'd be surprised if there was a way to do it for under $100. Things like wireless HDMI and HDMI over IP are more expensive. Some solutions also have questionable performance. It's often trial and error to see what works. The Actiontec may work.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr View Post
That means paying for another TiVo, another cable card and another TiVo subscription. Not a method I like at all.
Just saying that's what I do. Makes sense to me economically to buy something like an S3HD with lifetime. But then I only paid $15 for my cellphone and $15/month for a phonecard to keep it active. Everyone has their priorities.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #8
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

If you can fish an HDMI wire from the TiVo to the TV, here's what I did:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaggs
I have one TiVo HD unit supplying audio & video to two HDTV's. One HDTV is in the master bedroom (where the TiVo HD is actually located) and the other in the master bath.

I installed a 1X2 PRO Series Powered HDMI Splitter from Monoprice ($51.75) where an HDMI cable exiting the TiVo HD goes to the input of the splitter.

There are two HDMI outputs from the splitter, one HDMI cable goes to the HDTV in the bedroom. The other HDMI cable is routed through the wall, up into the attic, and down the wall in the master bath where the other HDTV is located. I purchased a heavy gauge, long HDMI cable from Monoprice, too.

When in the bathroom, I use my ipod Touch with the RemoteT app installed that controls the TiVo in the bedroom via my wireless network.

This solution provides HD video and 5.1 audio to any HDTV you can run HDMI cable to. The downside is that people watching TVs connected to the same TiVo cannot watch different programs. Both HDTVs can watch the same program at the same time, however.

Monoprice also sells HDMI splitters that have 4 or 8 outputs.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:34 AM   #9
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaggs View Post
If you can fish an HDMI wire from the TiVo to the TV, here's what I did:
I'm assuming you have a wireless router, so you could always use kmttg (for example) to auto transfer/decode stuff from your TiVo to your computer and use some kind of wireless media player to play them back on the other TV. Of course, you'd have to wait for the transfer/decode to finish but this is probably your least expensive option.

BTW, if you went with a second TiVo yes, you would have to subscribe it (or get lifetime) but you wouldn't have to get a CableCARD for it unless you wanted to record from the cable on it.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #10
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I'm assuming you have a wireless router, so you could always use kmttg (for example) to auto transfer/decode stuff from your TiVo to your computer and use some kind of wireless media player to play them back on the other TV.
Not with TWC's copy protection flag prohibiting transfer to a computer.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #11
robr

My wife insists the solution must allow her to play content that's currently recording. IE, she usually starts her shows about 15-20 minutes in so she can skip over the commercials but still finish it in real time. It is not practical to run any sort of cable which is why I mentioned all I have available to me is coax and 802.11n. I just moved the HTPC from my TV downstairs to the new one and I think what I may do is get a Hauppage USB box and use Windows Media Center and pay for another cablecard. That's about $100 for the card and $6/mo for the cablecard I believe. I like the Ceton but it's a lot more $$ and I only have about 10 channels of cable anyway so I don't need 4 tuners. Would have been nice to use the existing TiVo but doesn't seem like it may be practical.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #12
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaggs View Post
Not with TWC's copy protection flag prohibiting transfer to a computer.
That just made the second TiVo solution more expensive. He can't transfer them to a TiVo 3 or 2 ( if SD). He'd have to get another Premiere and stream them.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #13
robr

I bought a Hauppauge USB dual tuner and WMC remote. I shouldn't need a CableCard as it appears Comcast still has most of the locals in ClearQAM (and that's all we have for a subscription).

Ah well.... always wanted to test WMC vs. TiVo anyway to see if I could dump the TiVo. Guess I will get to find out!
Old 07-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

I have a few solutions. I have a wireless HDMI system, which works OK but has some issues with syncing initially that can be a PITA when you just want to watch TV. I also have an HDMI over CAT5 BALUN that works pretty good, but is not being used in my current house because running a cable between floors is too difficult. (could be done, but PITA) Recently I bought a TiVo Elite to replace a dying S3. With the addition of the extra two tuners I also no longer needed my Premiere. So I ended up moving that up into the office and using it for streaming. The TiVo streaming works pretty well even over my slow 200Mbps powerline network. So if you can hold out for the new streaming box I think that'll probably be your best solution.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #15
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
I have a TiVo Premiere (with Cablecard) on the first floor. I just added a TV on the third floor. I can control the TiVo from the 3rd floor with the iPhone app, now I just need to figure out how to get the video out from the TiVo up to the third floor.... inexpensively ($100 or less would be nice) .... without having to run wiring. I understand TiVo has a solution coming sometime this fall, but likely it will have a subscription attached to it and I'd prefer not to wait anyway.

Some transmission medium options are 802.11n or perhaps MoCA. I think we're essentially talking about HDMI over WiFi or MoCA.

Thanks for any ideas!
There used to be a way you could transmit back over your coax on an unused channel that other TVs in your home could get. I can't remember what the device was called. AV something I think
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #16
cannonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
There used to be a way you could transmit back over your coax on an unused channel that other TVs in your home could get. I can't remember what the device was called. AV something I think
That would be a modulator, unfortunately HD ones are incredibly expensive. If your happy with SD like I am they are defiantly the way to go.
cannonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #17
mattack

Quote:
Well, if you have a network connection, you COULD do without the cable card.. "just" buy a lifetime S3/TivoHD/Premiere, and use IT as a "viewer".

Yes, I know that's probably at least as expensive as the forthcoming companion viewer.. but just wanted to point it out.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #18
mchief
Morey

Take a look at:

Nyrius NY-GS3200 5.8GHz 6 Channel Wireless Audio/Video Sender Transmitter & Receiver System with IR Remote Extender ($99)

I just hooked one up from TivoHD in bedroom to TV in kitchen. Works great and I control the Tivo with the iPhone app.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:16 AM   #19
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Well, if you have a network connection, you COULD do without the cable card.. "just" buy a lifetime S3/TivoHD/Premiere, and use IT as a "viewer".

Yes, I know that's probably at least as expensive as the forthcoming companion viewer.. but just wanted to point it out.
I sorta already pointed that out. And since he has "copy protect everything" TWC , he needs a Premiere so he can stream.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #20
robr

Thanks for all the ideas. I don't have TWC though, that was another poster. I'm Comcast. Having another TiVo and streaming wouldn't work for my wife I don't think. IIRC back from my days of having multiple DirecTiVos, you could not stream content that was currently being recorded. Which is her requirement. Anyway, I took the plunge and bought the dual tuner Hauppauge, but look forward to seeing what the forthcoming TiVo remote distribution thingy brings us and how it will be priced.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #21
lpwcomp

Quote:
Thanks for all the ideas. I don't have TWC though, that was another poster. I'm Comcast. Having another TiVo and streaming wouldn't work for my wife I don't think. IIRC back from my days of having multiple DirecTiVos, you could not stream content that was currently being recorded. Which is her requirement.
Anything in the NPL can be streamed Premiere-to-Premiere, including shows still being recorded.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #22
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yeah streaming between two Premieres is pretty much just like picking a show off the local TiVo and hitting play. The only limitations are you can't watch live TV, only recordings (although they can be in progress) and the play button doesn't work for starting a show so you have to go into the program description and select the play option. (annoying bug I hope is fixed in the next release)

The upcoming streaming only box is suppose to be able to grab a tuner from your TiVo so it can even watch live TV.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:17 AM   #23
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The upcoming streaming only box is suppose to be able to grab a tuner from your TiVo so it can even watch live TV.

Dan
Supposedly this feature is going to be limited to the XL4/Elite/Q at launch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #24
tbielowicz

BOCs Whole House Distribution option

Go to this website. Not a bad price for $99. You can connect up to 3 devices, get DVD quality video and utilize your existing Coax infrastructure.

I have used it for years and love it.

go to the BOCs website, sorry can't post the website since I am under 5 posts.

BTW - they have been working on a HD option for years, but it will probably never happen since it is cost prohibitive.
tbielowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #25
tneison

I just want to post a plug for the Actiontec Mywireless TV. It is hit or miss depending on many factors, but to easily add another TV to your setup w/o paying for another box it is as least worth a shot. You can always return it. I was surprised at how easy it was to set up, and how well it worked in my case w/ almost no effort. Saved me from buying a 4th Tivo unit.
tneison is offline   Reply With Quote