TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
lpwcomp

Use of pyTivoMetaThis

Is anyone besides me actively using pyTivoMetaThis? I have e-mailed the project admin through sourceforge about his making a couple of needed changes but haven't heard back and have the feeling that he has abandoned it.

I have made the changes on my own machine and I would be willing to pursue setting up another development fork and making my version available but only if it is actively being used.

Or perhaps the developer is hanging around here and I have misconstrued his failure to respond.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Is anyone besides me actively using pyTivoMetaThis? I have e-mailed the project admin through sourceforge about his making a couple of needed changes but haven't heard back and have the feeling that he has abandoned it.

I have made the changes on my own machine and I would be willing to pursue setting up another development fork and making my version available but only if it is actively being used.

Or perhaps the developer is hanging around here and I have misconstrued his failure to respond.
I use it. I fail back to MetaGenerator 3 though when it fails to find the metadata for me though. I have a mod'd version that adds the episode number to the front of the episode title.
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
lpwcomp

I have emailed the project admin again, both from the sourceforge.net website and from my e-mail client which still goes through them but maybe it will work better. If I don't hear anything in 2 days, I will pursue setting up my own fork since there is no mechanism for taking over an abandoned project.

The current project admin is not the initial developer. I see no evidence of any activity on his part in the last two years so don't really expect a response.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #4
Qualous

I use it and also did my own episode number mod and recently some fixes for gzip data coming from TheTVDB.
Qualous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:16 PM   #5
lpwcomp

The current project admin has responded and has made a new release available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/pytivometathis/. It includes several fixes but does not include the fix for the compressed data problem. I too fixed that problem in my copy.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
liquefry

I have been using pyTivoMetaThis for a long time, plus your patch now to make it work! I personally would greatly appreciate a new fork that meant it was actively developed or just quicker response from the owner as I use it via cron jobs on my linux server, and I am not aware of anything else that will do the same job.

This might be a dumb question but this seems like a functionality that could be easily built in to pytivo proper - is there some reason this is not done? It seems like core functionality to me - without proper matadata files pushed to the TiVo are barely usable.
liquefry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquefry View Post
I have been using pyTivoMetaThis for a long time, plus your patch now to make it work! I personally would greatly appreciate a new fork that meant it was actively developed or just quicker response from the owner as I use it via cron jobs on my linux server, and I am not aware of anything else that will do the same job.

This might be a dumb question but this seems like a functionality that could be easily built in to pytivo proper - is there some reason this is not done? It seems like core functionality to me - without proper matadata files pushed to the TiVo are barely usable.
Not sure that building it into pyTiVo is a good idea. Some people build or modify the metadata by hand or using other s/w. Some use pyTiVo w/o metadata. Most of the people who use "Push" instead of "Pull" don't really care about most of the metadata (at least as seen by pyTiVo) since very little of it gets sent to the TiVo on a "Push".

It would be nice if the pyTiVoMetaThis application "owner"would become actively involved again or allowed someone else to take over, or at least another fork. I doubt that either of those options would involve me. He didn't much seem to care for my coding technique and "pythonized" (his word) my other fixes prior to incorporating them into the release version.