TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #181
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

I thought the episode header was a great idea.
I usually read before I watch and don't mind being spoiled in the least, but sensitive folks who become outraged when spoiled would/should appreciate them.
It was a nice sort of mental marker, too.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #182
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
I wanted to ask you and the other moms about this. Isn't the faux baby kind of misleading, in that it has that really skinny little diaper? No real baby is going to have a diaper as puny as that.

If you drape on the form without putting a diaper on it first, then you're going to have a garment that has no wearing ease for the diaper.
They may seem skinny at the beginning, but they will NOT stay skinny for long. (Real babies-I've never really seen what the fake ones do.)

And that's a problem with baby clothes. In fact, I just had Grace in a pair of jeans today that didn't really fit after about thirty minutes.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:49 PM   #183
Ruth
Now with toddler

Maybe it was because I have a 13-month-old, but I thought this episode was absolutely hilarious and awesome. I kept laughing through the whole first half, watching them with those fake babies and funny baby comments. And some of those kids were just super cute!!

Too bad none of the baby-girl designers did a good job. If there had been something cute for girls that won I would totally buy it for my daughter! But that winning dress is just not practical at all. I suppose it would make a cute dress for Easter or church in the summer if you're the type to dress your baby up for church, but since it's almost October in Alaska and we're Jewish and the baby really only needs play clothes, it's just about the most impractical thing ever.

Quote:
I wanted to ask you and the other moms about this. Isn't the faux baby kind of misleading, in that it has that really skinny little diaper? No real baby is going to have a diaper as puny as that.

If you drape on the form without putting a diaper on it first, then you're going to have a garment that has no wearing ease for the diaper.
I was thinking that the entire time. Those baby dress forms were totally unrealistic. No way does any 12-18 month baby have that slim sillouette. If it were me, I would have asked my baby's mom for a spare diaper and put it on that dress form, maybe even stuffed it with some fabric too, because they puff up a lot when they are wet.

The form was too small not only because of the lack of a diaper, but also because babies have that arched back posture that makes both the belly and the bottom stick out. Those forms were like skinny model babies with tiny little tummies and petite bottoms and adult posture, instead of the big rounded belly and pushed-out bottom that healthy tots have. Melissa's sheath dress would have worked so much better if she'd had a realistic baby shape to work with, I think. It rode up over the diaper so much partly because it just wasn't cut for the actual shape of that baby.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:49 PM   #184
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
One thing I wondered with Chris' outfit was how safe was it for the baby/toddler - I was thinking she would start pulling those things off and eating them. Maybe it's made better. I think Fabio's should have won - he did think things out like using velcro and making the outfit look like a two piece but really was a one piece.
YES YES YES. Although my thought was more along the lines of "my baby would have so chewed those flowers until they looked like crap. She chewed on ALL of her clothes' features.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #185
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
I guess it's a good thing he didn't listen to his "Mom" and change anything. I have admit, I kind of agreed with her. I didn't care for the loud floral 70's tablecloth print much either. I thought for sure he was going to get skewered by the judges, and then he turns around and wins. I guess me and Mom were both wrong.

ETA: Although I did think it was kind of rude of her to say so, when it was obviously too late for him to do anything about it.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #186
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
Too bad none of the baby-girl designers did a good job. If there had been something cute for girls that won I would totally buy it for my daughter! But that winning dress is just not practical at all. I suppose it would make a cute dress for Easter or church in the summer if you're the type to dress your baby up for church, but since it's almost October in Alaska and we're Jewish and the baby really only needs play clothes, it's just about the most impractical thing ever.
So true! It's the kind of one-shot garment where, if you miss a tiny window of opportunity, there's no reason to buy it.

I think Chris was lucky to win instead of ending up on the bottom because the judges easily could have called him out for being a seamster on this episode rather than a designer.

First of all, his baby came in wearing the white dress, and her mom wanted an ensemble with a white jacket. The mom was the one who dictated to him that she wanted a 3/4 length denim jacket with no pockets.

Melissa's not wrong when she complained about Chris knocking off the jacket from one of her looks. And it was Heidi's idea to put the flowers on the skirt! So Chris wasn't wrong to worry that he would be in the bottom.

Ruth, you and Angie and betts are so right -- Chris's dress is not a practical garment, to the point of being hazardous. It also fails the challenge because it's not very practical from a production standpoint. All those loose pieces that have to be sewn on? OMG! How much fussy-cut fabric, how labor-intensive is that?

Of course since Heidi suggested putting the flowers on the skirt, it's no surprise that she'd like the dress. And from her standpoint, an ensemble like the one Chris made is great for the line. It's the kind of fancy thing you could put in a display window for people to ooh and ahh over, to get attention for the line, to draw them into the store. Then once the customers are in the store, they buy the basics. But Heidi didn't ask for a runway look. She asked for something that could go into production.

Elena designed herself into a corner. The jacket is cute but not practical, and while she tried to draw the whole look together by using the colors in the motif in the other garments, it didn't work because the volume of the other colors is so big. But if she had tried to tie the three garments together more, it would have reduced their versatility -- they couldn't be used with other garments as readily. So she was screwed either way.

It's a pity Melissa shot herself in the foot so much by over-fitting the dress and not having enough wearing ease for the diaper. With the cute vest and an easier dress, that look could have been a lot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
I was thinking that the entire time. Those baby dress forms were totally unrealistic. No way does any 12-18 month baby have that slim sillouette. If it were me, I would have asked my baby's mom for a spare diaper and put it on that dress form, maybe even stuffed it with some fabric too, because they puff up a lot when they are wet.

The form was too small not only because of the lack of a diaper, but also because babies have that arched back posture that makes both the belly and the bottom stick out. Those forms were like skinny model babies with tiny little tummies and petite bottoms and adult posture, instead of the big rounded belly and pushed-out bottom that healthy tots have. Melissa's sheath dress would have worked so much better if she'd had a realistic baby shape to work with, I think. It rode up over the diaper so much partly because it just wasn't cut for the actual shape of that baby.
Totally agree that while the form does have more roundness than the adult form, it's still not as round as a real baby, nor does it have a swayback like babies (and some of us grown-ups) have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
I guess it's a good thing he didn't listen to his "Mom" and change anything. I have admit, I kind of agreed with her. I didn't care for the loud floral 70's tablecloth print much either. I thought for sure he was going to get skewered by the judges, and then he turns around and wins. I guess me and Mom were both wrong.

ETA: Although I did think it was kind of rude of her to say so, when it was obviously too late for him to do anything about it.
The thing that saved Chris was that no matter what the moms said, ultimately, Heidi was the real client. So as long as Heidi liked the look, he was safe.

P.S. I'm kind of sorry this challenge didn't come up earlier in the season while Ven was still here.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #187
lalouque
Quilter-Cat Slave

Quote:
P.S. I'm kind of sorry this challenge didn't come up earlier in the season while Ven was still here.
Banned!!! I shiver at the thought.....
lalouque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #188
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
The thing that saved Chris was that no matter what the moms said, ultimately, Heidi was the real client. So as long as Heidi liked the look, he was safe.
I think he relaxed some when one of the other designers said that to him towards the end of the design time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #189
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I think he relaxed some when one of the other designers said that to him towards the end of the design time.
Yes. I heard that too. In the past they HAVE asked the "client" if she liked the look. Of course in this case Heidi is the client, so what the mom said is immaterial (ha!).

I did think it was a little pointless of the Mom to trash his choice of fabric that much since they'd already been to Mood and it was all he had. Maybe she thought she was client? She really seemed to think her critique was going to help. She looked a bit awkward when all the judges loved both pieces.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #190
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalouque View Post
Banned!!! I shiver at the thought.....
Imagine how it would have been, if Ven had been stuck with the faux baby all day. I'm just saying.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #191
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Quote:

Oscar de La Renta has never been my favorite.

ETA: Now I'm questioning if that was the designer. Whatever. I didn't like it, either.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #192
Cainebj

Best line of the night (paraphrasing):

Christopher:
Now I understand what happened to Judy with Liza.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #193
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Quote:
Imagine how it would have been, if Ven had been stuck with the faux baby all day. I'm just saying.
Possibly a preemptive strike?
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #194
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Wheeee!!!

I went to Mood today! My friends and I went to NYC on a one day bus trip. We walked all over and one place we went was Mood. It was so cool inside - I went up the stairs that they usually are seen running up. I almost bought some material that I liked but decided I didn't want to carry around with me all day. Mood is actually inside and upstairs in a building that unless you knew the address, you wouldn't know it was there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #195
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Wheeee!!!

I went to Mood today! My friends and I went to NYC on a one day bus trip. We walked all over and one place we went was Mood. It was so cool inside - I went up the stairs that they usually are seen running up. I almost bought some material that I liked but decided I didn't want to carry around with me all day. Mood is actually inside and upstairs in a building that unless you knew the address, you wouldn't know it was there.
KEWL! Did you see Swatch?
Old 09-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #196
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
KEWL! Did you see Swatch?
No, he is only there Monday thru Friday. I did ask! I did buy a bag of buttons. Sounds odd but I am going to glue them to a mirror frame.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #197
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
I did buy a bag of buttons. Sounds odd but I am going to glue them to a mirror frame.
Oh, puhleeze, betts -- we're fans of a show where people are asked to make dresses out of candy. Why should gluing buttons to a mirror frame sound odd to us?
Old 09-29-2012, 10:41 PM   #198
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Oh, puhleeze, betts -- we're fans of a show where people are asked to make dresses out of candy. Why should gluing buttons to a mirror frame sound odd to us?
Exactly! And that is hilarious that Swatch gets the weekends off! What a diva!
Old 09-29-2012, 11:01 PM   #199
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
We had 3 friends that went there just for my one other friend and I that are fans. They were saying 'come on' and we were saying wait, wait, wait. Then I looked over at heather and said "this is when Tim comes and says Five minutes" and everyone races to get their stuff rung up. We laughed. I did walk thru the 'silk'secton that Chris was in last episode.

Last edited by betts4 : 09-30-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:14 AM   #200
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd

Snort. Literally.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #201
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

I would have bought something just so I could get a Mood bag.

We had bad weather when the show was broadcast & it just showed up on demand so I could catch up. What CUTE babies !!! I liked the boys' looks better than all the girls' looks.

Melissa got lucky.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #202
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

They changed the winning girls' design and fabric quite a bit now that it's on Babies R Us.
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...uctId=15491836

The boys' design wasn't changed much at all -- maybe different buttons?
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...uctId=15491826
Old 09-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #203
Ruth
Now with toddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriAnne View Post
They changed the winning girls' design and fabric quite a bit now that it's on Babies R Us.
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...uctId=15491836
That makes a lot more sense for an outfit that is going on sale in the fall.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #204
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
I like it much better in the new fabric.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #205
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

I abhor the line name. I want to kick Heidi in the teeth every time she says it.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #206
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I like it much better in the new fabric.
It looks like you could buy and wear any day, not just on easter. I think Chris got stuck because he was trying to follow the client's wishes for all white. This change is a good one.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:08 PM   #207
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
My friend Heather at Mood -
This is the in the "jersey prints" section.

Heather and I are in front of the Parson's School of Design building. Of course my friend that took the picture didn't get the name in there...well some of it but not the Parson's part. LOL.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #208
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
That's neat betts. Is Mood as huge as it looks on TV?
Old 09-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #209
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
That's neat betts. Is Mood as huge as it looks on TV?
I would say not really, compared to a Jo-ann's or such. It's big for a store in the city, but it's very cramped together. The workers there were great and very friendly. We walked past the entrance twice because we were looking for the big Mood signs you see from the windows during the show and they aren't out on Saturday. You go into a doorway and the sign says Mood is on the second floor. Mood is just one of many other places in the building (the rest are offices and such). What was neat was you go up in an old manual elevator with an elevator guy to run it and a gate that comes across like out of a movie.

I think stopping here was the second best part of the trip (the best being the Empire State Building - I never tire of that).

Old 09-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #210
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Ah. Well that figures. Things always look bigger on TV.