Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Project Runway Season 10-Spoilers to Date

Anyone watching?

First of all-Gunnar and Chris need to get a room!

So who is this season's COO-COO-Bananas? Kooan seems too obvious-I bet he's a fake-he is probably a classically trained actor and this is all for show!

I am voting for Buffi-she is COO COO Bananas for sure!

Ven and Christopher are my early favorites-some are saying Christopher is a one-trick pony a la Michael in Mondo & Gretchen's season, but I disagree, I think he has real talent, but he is full of himself, and freaks out under pressure. He needs to relax and get real.

I thought Lantie should have gone home, her outfits (both of them) were horrible-Beatrice's weren't that bad, boring, yes, but not horrible and ugly.

What do others think?
Old 07-20-2012, 11:24 PM   #2
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Sometimes these judges have no business judging!

gossamer88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:33 AM   #3
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
I thought Lantie should have gone home, her outfits (both of them) were horrible-Beatrice's weren't that bad, boring, yes, but not horrible and ugly.
I laughed when Heidi called Lantie out for doing the same look over and over. I would have sent her home first, but no biggie. She's not long for this world anyway.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
Cainebj

I think this season has great promise and I loved the Road to the Runway special - really a great way to get to know the designers - except - say what?
Mondo is casting the show now? WTF?
[yeah i know i am sure he is not and the producers are but still - WTF?]

My biggest takeaway from Thursday?
Gunnar needs to get a grip in reality.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:13 AM   #5
jradosh
Newlywed

Gunnar promises to be great entertainment this season if he can stay around long enough. Loved the look on his face when his 'rival' won. (but WTF was up with that? I thought it was clear the other guy (with the "rose" blouse) was better )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:31 AM   #6
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Recording but haven't watched yet...

sushikitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #7
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
Gunnar promises to be great entertainment this season if he can stay around long enough. Loved the look on his face when his 'rival' won. (but WTF was up with that? I thought it was clear the other guy (with the "rose" blouse) was better )
Are you talking about the runway show or the candy challenge?

Suggestion: could the first person to post on a new week put something in the post title as a marker? And, if you are behind, say explicitly what challenge you are talking about? That would make it easier for people who are behind to come in later and read the thread.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #8
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Candy Challenge

What a strong top three! I went back and forth on who my top choice would be several times over.

In Gunnar's favor -- the accessories. His look used the candy and materials from the shop from top to toe.

In Sanjay's favor -- loved loved loved the sharks in the neckline, and of the top three she used the most variety of materials.

But Venn's rose dress -- absolutely stunning design, beautifully executed, true to his design sensibilities, and he didn't just use the candy in its original form and glue it down.

My question of the season: how many of these designers are going to turn out to be one-note designers?

I love roses, but if we see roses every week, am I going to get really tired of them? Are the judges going to get tired of seeing them week after week?

The girl who only works in black had better turn out strong designs every week, because the judges all know that black fabric hides a lot of sins in construction. On the other hand, it also hides a lot of the detail in your work (see last week's black dress), so you can hide what's good about your work if you aren't careful.

I don't think the Russian girl with all the lines over her designs, whose work looks like some kind of body armor, is going to last much longer. But I'm glad they sent Lantie home. I was getting that "OMG, I could have done better than that!" feeling. I'm baffled as to why they put her in the show, unless she is there to be elimination fodder.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 08-24-2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: to fix a question mark
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Are you talking about the runway show or the candy challenge?
This is why I don't like the "all season" threads

I meant the Times Square runway show.

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
Ruth
Now with toddler

Yeah, we are still at the stage where it's just eliminating the dead weight. And there is so much dead weight that the woman with the Dots apron wasn't even in the bottom 3!

I loved both Sanjay's and Ven's dresses. I agree, it will be interesting to see if he only does roses or has more versatility. He does them really, really well though! Anya won with really only having one trick in her bag, so it's not necessarily a dealbreaker.

I recognize Ven's talent and his dress was beautiful, but I would have given the win to Sanjay.

As for Gunnar and his accessories, I have a really hard time telling when they are going to slam someone for being over-accessorized, and when it's going to be a plus.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #11
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I loved Ven's dress - it really did look like a stained glass dress. Beautiful!

I laughed when I saw the umbrella's in the shop. I knew someone was going to use them and get called out on it.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #12
Ment

Is Gunnar for real? Everything about him to his name to his attitude seams to be a put on.

Elena is on the express train to Bootville if she stays so rigid. I love her aesthetic but it doesn't translate into a fast work environment with limited materials. She'd be awesome designing for Lady Gaga or Nicki Minaj.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #13
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Lexus Challenge

Well, as Tim Gunn says, Pairs Challenges bring out character-I couldn't believe the backbiting with Christopher and Andrea! I did love the look on Heidi's face-she looked like she was watching 2 of her children fight!

I did appreciate Kooan's giving Gunnar the credit for the dress. Irina is such a b***h that I think her dress should have won. If SHE was pleased, then by golly, that is something!

So Andrea left in the middle of the night...more drama...I thought she was made of tougher stuff.

They edit the previews to make more drama, of course-but man, oh man-I can't wait for next week!
Old 08-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #14
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Thought for sure Andrea was going home. What was going on with the upper part of that dress? I also thought the white dress would win.

And for some reason Buffi reminds me of Lady Gaga.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #15
DouglasPHill

I thought they would bounce both Christopher and Andrea for throwing each other under the bus.
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #16
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

What a battle at judges' panel. Not on the show, at my house.

I thought Kenley's dress was stunning, and perfect for her. My husband took the 'it's not a red-carpet dress' position and stuck to it. But when you come down to it, it's the client's wish to wear something short, or not, and they delivered what she asked for.

IMHO, Kenley's dress also wins by the 'looks more expensive' rule. And really, it would bug me if a dress won where they had to tuck out a big piece of fabric before it went on the runway. No celebrity would wear a dress on the red carpet like that.

So I think the judges made the right choice.

As for the other dresses -- almost fell of my chair when someone chose silk charmeuse. Yikes. As you can see, it's beautiful stuff, but super-unforgiving. Not what I would want to work with under a severe time limit.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #17
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasPHill View Post
I thought they would bounce both Christopher and Andrea for throwing each other under the bus.
I am sure they considered it, but decided to keep them around for post-throwing -each-other-under-the-bus drama. And boy, are they getting it!
Old 08-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #18
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Let's say for the sake of argument that you wanted to keep the moral high ground and not throw your teammate under the bus. There is Michael Kors asking you what happened. What would you do?

I suppose you could list all the parts of the gown you had designed and built, and leave the judging panel to figure out whether the other person had been slacking.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:22 AM   #19
Azlen

Someone really needs to come up with a new phrase. "Throwing someone under the bus" has to be the most overused cliche in reality television.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #20
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
What a crazy episode. I have to say whoever it was that made that grey jacket that had shoulders that looked like it padded with football equipment needed to go home. Fast. I can't believe she didn't at least get in the bottom three.

I loved Sonjia's outfit and am glad that won and loved Dimitry's dress. I wonder if the judges realized it was just one seam.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #21
DouglasPHill

Boy did they get a bad group this season. One sneaks out in the night, one walks off the set, and one cries but stays. They got rid of the right one this week. Her outfits looked terrible. Its almost like the producers took the first 16 people to be on the show irregardless of their abilities.
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #22
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

There should be a penalty for quitting.
Presumably lots of designers tried out for this show and every one of those quitters took away a spot from someone else who would perhaps want to be there and actively compete.
If I was sitting home watching after narrowly missing the final cut I would be majorly PO'd.

Plus if they lose any more the scheduling will be off.
I'm sure they allowed for a double elimination or two that could now be scratched but that can only go on for so long before they start either losing episodes or having to have a no elimination episode.
I guess this is taped far enough in advance that they can work around everything, but still- bother!
Old 08-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #23
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Quote:
Boy did they get a bad group this season. Its almost like the producers took the first 16 people to be on the show irregardless of their abilities.
I agree with that. Seems like Raul was one of those they picked without any concern on his abilities.

I like Buffy. She was off this week so she suffered from the "one day you're in..."
Old 08-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #24
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

(Michael Kors Challenge)

Yes, Buffi deserved to be sent home. Her outfit did look like a hairdresser's smock, as Michael Kors so eloquently put it.... I love his comments!

Now Buffi and Kooan are both gone-who will step up and be coo coo bananas now? Gunnar is a bi***y queen-but that's not the same.

Congrats to Sonjia and that is great that Hayden P wants to wear her dress - !

Christopher managed to make Andrea's leaving all about him. What a narcissist!

Nice that they brought Raoul back but he won't last long, sad to say.

One word for this season: DRAMALICIOUS!!!!!
Old 08-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #25
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

"Woman on the Go"

Wow, what a devastating episode.

Andrea wouldn't have lasted long anyhow, but to lose both Buffy (through elimination) and Kooan at once is a big blow to the season. Who will bring the goofy now?

One of the things that hits me in the face every time I watch the show is the budget the designers are given for a look. Obviously there's a trade-off between the length of yardage you have (which increases more and more if you do multiple garments) and the amount per yard you can spend on fabric.

They had a graphic saying that one of the designers bought eight yards, so if that was the only fabric, you have to come in at under $20 a yard. The more garments you add, and the more yardage you have to get, the lower that number goes.

You want the judges to say "that looks expensive" and not "that looks cheap".

Yeah, this is obvious, but I wonder how often the designers think about it when they're at Mood.

Notice all three top designs were dresses. For me, it's a toss-up between Sanjay and Christopher -- I hate teeny half-sleeve jackets over dresses, but if I have to wear one, I'd rather have one like Christopher made.

Dimitry's dress would have been killer in a rich color.

How many of the designers thought that after they called Ven's name that they were in the group of the top and the bottom designers? Fake-out! But Ven's dress was a misfire this week, because the zipper he chose wasn't made to do that (and what zipper is).

Bottom three -- wow, so bad.

I wonder if the cost/fabric length tradeoff was part of the reason Buffy shot herself in the foot. I get why she chose jersey, because she was trying for something that wouldn't wrinkle. But if you don't usually work with chiffon, why on earth would you pick it? Why not use something else?

I think I would have voted to keep Buffy. Let's say you were cruising the thrift store and you found all three of these looks, and you were small enough to fine-tune all the garments to make them fit you.

Buffy's dress: fix the hem, and do something else with the pink chiffon, like a scarf or a hip wrap or a turban or something. It might have been really drag-queeny, but you could do something with it, even if it were only a costume.

Could Raoul's look be saved? The pants are horrendo. The top might be salvageable, but he gunked it all up with the leather bits. I've seen that vest design before, so it's not like there's anything distinctive there, and putting an interesting print on a weird shape just means that you can't see the print. (In his defense, I note that the designers don't have a form on which to build a pair of pants.)

One of the things I look for with a multiple-piece look is whether I can wear the pieces multiple ways. Of the looks with little jackets, Christopher's jacket would go over other stuff. I can't imagine wearing Fabio's little jacket in the first place, never mind wearing it over other stuff. And the print -- I didn't see it on the bolt, but the dress feels like he cut it on the crosswise grain. Why else would you end up with a dress so short that you can barely cover up your model?

Fabio's dress reminds me of a shift dress I actually bought in a thrift shop and cut down to make a tunic, because I liked the print. In the early 70s. And any look that makes another designer say "you can see her fish whistle" -- ouch!

I don't think either Raoul or Fabio will be around very much longer. I would have sent one of them home instead. Probably Raoul.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 08-10-2012 at 08:56 PM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #26
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
One thing that wasn't mentioned about Fabio's dress - the pattern in the back didn't seem to line up and it was too short. I liked the print, but not what he did with it.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #27
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

I'm still only two and a half episodes in. But I wanted to say this-I have LONGED for someone to make women's clothes for the adult "tomboy" who still wants to look stylish for a LONG time. I can't remember the name of the gal that does that. (Alicia?)

I'm not sure yet if she's pulling it off or not, but it's an amazing concept.

The candy episode was a nightmare, and I felt the judging was off in quite a few places-in particular, the contestant who had the black dress with the fringe at the bottom with red candy that had movement to it. I am SICK of seeing dresses in the unconventional challenge that look like they could stand on their own and have no movement at all.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:30 AM   #28
59er
TiVotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
One thing that wasn't mentioned about Fabio's dress - the pattern in the back didn't seem to line up and it was too short. I liked the print, but not what he did with it.
One judge did comment that Fabio had problems with matching the print.
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:37 AM   #29
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
You want the judges to say "that looks expensive" and not "that looks cheap".

Yeah, this is obvious, but I wonder how often the designers think about it when they're at Mood.
One would think that any contestant chosen to do this show would have enough sense to get into town early and spend a couple of days trying to familiarize themselves with everything inside Mood. Then when given such limited budgets they at least have an idea of what is available for how much.

I know that stock changes but not so much that some time spent learning would not pay off. Too often they are already freaking out when they get there and the buying frenzy just makes it worse. By the time they get back to the workroom they are looking at their little pile of purchased goods with something not far from panic wondering why they bought it to begin with.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #30
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

The thing that scares me is how many designers have already mentioned this season that they've just picked up some kind of fabric that they haven't worked with before.

Yeah, yeah, standard bitch -- don't the new contestants ever watch the show.

But -- if you know you're going on the show, why not take some classes on how to sew with some of these unfamiliar fabrics? For that matter, why not brush up on techniques on how to sew your familiar ones?