TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-01-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
dpratt

Time Warner Austin tuning adapter?

I know there are a few techs at TW Austin who read this board. I know you guys probably don't have any idea about release dates and whatnot, but have the higher ups even started getting you guys ready for a rollout yet?

It's been quite some time that I've been on TWC, and it seems like every day a new HD channel that I cannot access is added. I would have gone to DirectTV a long time ago if it wasn't for the awesomeness that is the TiVo interface, although I'm getting a little impatient.

Please do not interpret this as me being mad at the techs there - you guys are just doing what the execs decide is a good idea. I'm just concerned that they don't really care about the (admittedly) small fraction of their customers that have TiVo.
dpratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
BVK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpratt View Post
I know there are a few techs at TW Austin who read this board. I know you guys probably don't have any idea about release dates and whatnot, but have the higher ups even started getting you guys ready for a rollout yet?

It's been quite some time that I've been on TWC, and it seems like every day a new HD channel that I cannot access is added. I would have gone to DirectTV a long time ago if it wasn't for the awesomeness that is the TiVo interface, although I'm getting a little impatient.

Please do not interpret this as me being mad at the techs there - you guys are just doing what the execs decide is a good idea. I'm just concerned that they don't really care about the (admittedly) small fraction of their customers that have TiVo.

Funny you should post this. I just called TW in Austin this morning. Got a customer service rep named malisa. She said she had NEVER heard of SDV. She said she would ask a tech. When she came back she said he had never heard of it either. I told her this is odd because Austin (Mr. Bowen) was one of the first adopters and gave speeches as to what to put in the switched tier, etc.

Anyway, I waited one hour and called back. Got another guy. He said that he thought the dongles had arrived, but sales had not priced them. He said maybe by the end of the month.

I'll believe it when I see them!!!

BVK
BVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:19 PM   #3
pmiranda

I finally got my 9.4 service update with the Tuning Adapter menu... all I need now is a Tuning Adapter!
I even recently resolved a problem I'd been having with a switched channel on my regular cable box.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:23 PM   #4
brimimc

Time Warner Cable Austin - no plans to support tuning adapter!?

After reading this post I called TWC Austin to find out if tuning adapters were any closer to being available.

After which I posted my results to the tivo support forums: http://forums.tivo.com:80/pe/action/...ostID=10390015

I spent 30 minutes on the phone with Time Warner Austin this afternoon and was frustrated to find out that they have no plans to support tuning adapter currently and that they wouldn't even be supporting cable cards if there wasn't a government regulation to do so.

If there are any TWC Austin techs that have differing information that would ease my mind, please let us know.
brimimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:13 AM   #5
cableguy763

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimimc View Post
After reading this post I called TWC Austin to find out if tuning adapters were any closer to being available.

After which I posted my results to the tivo support forums: http://forums.tivo.com:80/pe/action/...ostID=10390015

I spent 30 minutes on the phone with Time Warner Austin this afternoon and was frustrated to find out that they have no plans to support tuning adapter currently and that they wouldn't even be supporting cable cards if there wasn't a government regulation to do so.

If there are any TWC Austin techs that have differing information that would ease my mind, please let us know.
Time Warner Austin will definitely be supporting the tuning adaptor.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:57 AM   #6
pmiranda

The phone support people almost never know what is really going on.
CableGuy: if you carry any sway with the managers for the front-line phone people, I beg you and them that they be educated on what a Tuning Adapter/Resolver is by the time they're available. If nothing else, a short memo that they should refer questions to a few designated people that know what they're doing.
I'd rather have to leave a message and get a call-back than waste half an hour trying to convince a brick wall that they are supposed to handle it!

For now, I will patiently sit back and wait for an official announcement.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
TexasGrillChef

While I am in Dallas with TWC I did contact my "Friend" who works in the TWC corporate office & asked him if he knew anything about the Tuning adapter for Austin.

When he got back to me, he informed me that the Tuning Adapter is coming to Austin & should be available by the end of September at the EARLIEST to hopefully no later than November 15th.

He went on to add though... that there are certain variables that could change when they become available to the end user. Austin does not yet have the "units" in stock. They have been ordered but have not be received or tested yet. He was also under the impression that the "Tuning Adapter/Resolver" are now required by the FCC .

TGC
TexasGrillChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:59 AM   #8
TiVoLance
Half awake

My nonswitched HD channnels haven't been recieved in about 2 weeks. The channels show for like 2 seconds then a black screen that has the message "HDMI connection not permitted. Press SELECT for more information". Pressing SELECT does nothing. I called Time Warner Austin and the lady claims that HD channels are "down" and have been down for a while. She futher explained that there is no ETA when they will be back up but they are working on it. That sounds really bogus to me. Anyone else with this issue?
Old 08-08-2008, 11:05 AM   #9
cableguy763

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoLance View Post
My nonswitched HD channnels haven't been recieved in about 2 weeks. The channels show for like 2 seconds then a black screen that has the message "HDMI connection not permitted. Press SELECT for more information". Pressing SELECT does nothing. I called Time Warner Austin and the lady claims that HD channels are "down" and have been down for a while. She futher explained that there is no ETA when they will be back up but they are working on it. That sounds really bogus to me. Anyone else with this issue?
There are no HD channels down at this time.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:09 AM   #10
TiVoLance
Half awake

Crud I guess I need to call back and be on hold forever again. Why would they tell me that?
Old 08-08-2008, 11:12 AM   #11
cableguy763

Your hdmi connection between your tivo and tv is probably out of synch. Try turning the tv off and back on.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #12
Raygun

I guess San Antonio would probably have about the same time line for SDV Tuners?
Thanks
Raygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:11 PM   #13
echoout
Beer Drinker

Football!

Alright, I'm officially sweating it. I'm excited about UTs new defense and the first game is 3 weeks from tomorrow. Sure would be nice to catch all the weird games and be able to watch them on my own TV!!! I think last year one game came on FSN SW and one was pay-per-view. COME ON RESOLVER!!!
echoout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #14
bullsi1911

Cautiously optimistic

Humor me for not knowing exactly what a 'tuning adapter' is-

Does that mean in the next couple of months I will be able to get all the channels of HD on my TiVo Series 3 with 2 cable cards? I'll be able to see the channels that I'm paying for but they won't let me? (Why do they need 2 way communication on basic channels? Is there some nefarious reason that then need to know when I am watching FoodNetwork HD?)

If so, TWC- Austin may not get the finger the second another option becomes available.
bullsi1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:49 PM   #15
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullsi1911 View Post
Humor me for not knowing exactly what a 'tuning adapter' is-
Check this out:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=357703
The references to "dongle" are now called tuner adaptor.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:16 PM   #16
acvthree

The tuning adapter will allow the Tivo to record channels that currently are not viewable due to SDV.

Some cable companies have blocked channels that are not part of SDV from going to third party devices that use cable cards. The tuning adapter will have no effect on those.

Al
acvthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:27 PM   #17
echoout
Beer Drinker

So here's a question for Austin TWC/Tivo folks. Let's say I wanted to watch a certain college football team's opening game on Aug 30 that is only being shown on FSNSW PPV and I would REALLY prefer not to go to a bar or outside my house as I have a 4 month old.

Would I be able to go get a DVR for just a few days? How much would the single month of DVR cost me?

Thanks! steven

Last edited by echoout : 08-17-2008 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:53 PM   #18
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoout View Post
So here's a question for Austin TWC/Tivo folks. Let's say I wanted to watch a certain college football team's opening game on Aug 30 that is only being shown on FSNSW PVP and I would REALLY prefer not to go to a bar or outside my house as I have a 4 month old.

Would I be able to go get a DVR for just a few days? How much would the single month of DVR cost me?

Thanks! steven
More than your bar tab.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:53 PM   #19
rckstrang

Can one of you guys tell me how many channels are SDV in Austin? Are there channels that don't have SDV but are still digital?

Just want to know what to expect. Thanks.
rckstrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:57 PM   #20
echoout
Beer Drinker

That's fine with me. I was just wondering if anyone else had done this and how much it might cost. Not sure if I'm missing some hidden charges or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01 View Post
More than your bar tab.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:32 PM   #21
jrm01

Quote:
That's fine with me. I was just wondering if anyone else had done this and how much it might cost. Not sure if I'm missing some hidden charges or something.
TiVo requires a one year commitment for the subscription. There is no ethical way to get it for just a weekend.

Your cable company may not require term contracts for their DVR, but there would probably be installation fees.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:39 PM   #22
mfogarty5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01 View Post
TiVo requires a one year commitment for the subscription. There is no ethical way to get it for just a weekend.

Your cable company may not require term contracts for their DVR, but there would probably be installation fees.
I think you misunderstood the OP. He wants to know if he can get a cable company DVR for the weekend to watch a football game that is on an SDV channel that his TiVo cannot tune.

The answer here in Charlotte would be "yes" because you can just go pick up a TWC DVR at the mall, TWC office, etc. and return it to the same location.

Since you are in an area with SDV you should see if you can get a TWC DVR free of charge until the resolver comes out.

Last edited by mfogarty5 : 08-17-2008 at 02:01 PM.
mfogarty5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:39 PM   #23
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstrang View Post
Can one of you guys tell me how many channels are SDV in Austin? Are there channels that don't have SDV but are still digital?

Just want to know what to expect. Thanks.
Check out the list here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ustin&page=101
Old 08-17-2008, 02:28 PM   #24
echoout
Beer Drinker

Exactly. That's what I was hoping. Isn't the DVR less than $10 a month?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogarty5 View Post
I think you misunderstood the OP. He wants to know if he can get a cable company DVR for the weekend to watch a football game that is on an SDV channel that his TiVo cannot tune.

The answer here in Charlotte would be "yes" because you can just go pick up a TWC DVR at the mall, TWC office, etc. and return it to the same location.

Since you are in an area with SDV you should see if you can get a TWC DVR free of charge until the resolver comes out.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:51 PM   #25
ajwees41

PPV is most likely 2way which the tivo can't get.

Last edited by ajwees41 : 08-17-2008 at 02:58 PM.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:16 PM   #26
echoout
Beer Drinker

Wow. This is a pretty schizophrenic conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post

Old 08-17-2008, 05:05 PM   #27
ajwees41

Quote:
Wow. This is a pretty schizophrenic conversation.

I was replying to mfogarty5 who thinks PPV is SDV
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:10 PM   #28
echoout
Beer Drinker

Oh. Gotcha. Whoo!

Quote:
I was replying to mfogarty5 who thinks PPV is SDV

Old 08-17-2008, 07:12 PM   #29
jrm01

Quote:
It is two way. But one way can be done by a phone call ordering the program and then it can be viewed on TiVo.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:23 PM   #30
lrhorer

Quote:
Exactly. That's what I was hoping. Isn't the DVR less than $10 a month?
No, but the STB is. If all he wants is to watch some PPV programs, then all he needs is an HD STB. If he already has an STB, the HD version is probably the same price (it is in San Antonio), and it won't cost him a penny other than time and gas to exchange his STB at one of the TWC offices. If he doesn't have an STB already, he probably can pick one up for something like $7.95 a month with no committment. Most CATV companies do not require a truck roll to add an STB or DVR to one's account. A little smooth talking might even get the costs waived.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote