TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
mattack

XL4 - how much is network needed?

I think this is basically a FAQ, but I don't see it covered in the Premiere FAQ.

I currently have my Tivos (currently Tivo HD + S1 with the ethernet adapter card) do their daily calls via WiFi bridge, and in the past have even gotten netflix streamed this way.. But the bridge connection does sometimes go down.

How much does the XL4 really need the network? Is it only in HD menus that it needs it? (i.e. I would use SD menus if that alleviated the problem).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
astrohip
Stuart F

I use SD menus. The answer is almost none. Zilch. I need to get the daily guide update. That's it.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:39 AM   #3
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

IMO, a Premiere without the HDUI is almost equal to a Cable Co DVR. I would never use the SDUI.

What is the issue with the WiFi bridge connection going down? Seems quite ironic, considering your previous reply to my bridge choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
That's at *least* 3 times as much as you need to pay for a router that you can use in bridge mode.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...19#post9172719
If you are going to invest $700-$800 in a new XL4 why not invest in a better WiFi connection, or use the XL4 MoCA/Ethernet bridge, or run Cat5e or Cat6?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 07-18-2012 at 05:48 AM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I use SD menus. The answer is almost none. Zilch. I need to get the daily guide update. That's it.
And to transfer shows between TiVos or the Tivo and a computer. And online/computer control/scheduling. And access to Youtube, Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, and web feeds.

If you have a flaky network connection, I would use the SDUI, which, IMHO, doesn't even come close to making it as bad as a cable co DVR. The HDUI, while it has become a bit more tolerant of network problems, is still falkey with a bad network. The search function doesn't work at all w/o a network connection. Nor do "Explore This Show", "Episodes", or even "Upcoming"".. .

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
moyekj

Yes if anything it's the other way around: Using HDUI gets you closer to the sluggish experience of cable co DVRs. To me the advantages of Premiere over previous platforms are plentiful (especially with MRS) but the HDUI is certainly not one of them.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
IMO, a Premiere without the HDUI is almost equal to a Cable Co DVR. I would never use the SDUI.
A ridiculous statement if I've ever heard one. I'm one of the heaviest TV watchers around, with three working TiVos, and my Elite is SDUI. I have 95% of the features your HDUI has, at 250% of the speed.

Do you watch TV, or watch your UI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
And to transfer shows between TiVos or the Tivo and a computer. And online/computer control/scheduling. And access to Youtube, Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, and web feeds.
I will confess to being a recent signee for Netflix, mainly to see what it's all about. Other than that, I don't do any of that stuff. And I'm not even sure why I kept Netflix; I haven't used it in weeks.

Nonetheless, you are correct. If you want or need those features, they require a network. But if you don't, it's mainly needed for the guide.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

One of the features I love about the Premiere is being able to get Season and episode info for the shows. I use the feature almost daily when watching content. And a network connection is needed for that. Of course I'm using the HDUI, but I can't stand using the SDUI. I can't even stand using my GFs S3 boxes anymore.
And of course I hate it when an SDUI screen pops up while using the HDUI. So I hope they convert some more screens to the HDUI very soon.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
djwilso

Quote:
Although I do use the HDUI, I really disagree with this assertion.

The SDUI can do almost everything that the HDUI can, does it faster, and is far more capable than a cable company DVR.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
compnurd

I agree with CoxinPhx. Without the HDUI, just a slight upgrade from cable
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #10
mattack

Quote:
What is the issue with the WiFi bridge connection going down?...
If you are going to invest $700-$800 in a new XL4 why not invest in a better WiFi connection, or use the XL4 MoCA/Ethernet bridge, or run Cat5e or Cat6?
...(I reordered the last part)
IMO, a Premiere without the HDUI is almost equal to a Cable Co DVR.
It doesn't go down *often*, but it does go down once in a while (probably every few weeks). My question was mostly "is the XL4 useless without a network connection?". I was under the impression that it gets some of the stuff (maybe the banner ads at the top) live off the net, and does far less caching.

Well, I eventually will have a house with a better network connection.. for now, I just use bridge mode from upstairs to downstairs, and I don't think there's much I could do to get the connection to be better without having a router sit out in the hallway.. (it's behind a wall/bedroom door)

I could be wrong about the "network needed all the time" part, that's why I asked.

A cable co DVR (1) doesn't let me own it, (2) download shows to my computer, (3) pay lifetime (amortizing cost), (4) have a better UI, (5) have 4 tuners [Uverse & DISH now excepted, but they don't do the rest of these things].

Yes, I said in another thread that even I am intrigued by the Ceton tuners/forthcoming DVR.. but for now, I want something *comparatively* reliable, like a Tivo.. (yes, I have had a dead Tivo too -- but I've STILL had fewer probs than with other things)
Old 07-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #11
mattack

Quote:
If you have a flaky network connection, I would use the SDUI, which, IMHO, doesn't even come close to making it as bad as a cable co DVR. The HDUI, while it has become a bit more tolerant of network problems, is still falkey with a bad network. The search function doesn't work at all w/o a network connection. Nor do "Explore This Show", "Episodes", or even "Upcoming"".. .
Wow, so you mean you can't even do a View Upcoming to view in the guide data? THAT'S the useful kind of answer I wanted.. So I guess I'll use SD UI most likely.. at least after seeing how bad it is.

(BTW, I bought a used OLED S3 off ebay, CHEAP, to hopefully revive my existing dead lifetime S3.. so I hope to revive that to a working one.. then may sell it to partially pay for an XL4 lifetime, mostly for more total tuners..)
Old 07-19-2012, 09:49 PM   #12
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
The search function doesn't work at all w/o a network connection. Nor do "Explore This Show", "Episodes", or even "Upcoming""..
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Wow, so you mean you can't even do a View Upcoming to view in the guide data? THAT'S the useful kind of answer I wanted.. So I guess I'll use SD UI most likely.. at least after seeing how bad it is.
If you are referring to "View Upcoming Episodes", that works whether the network is up or not. It uses guide data to determine upcoming episodes. That's why it's so fast.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #13
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
If you are referring to "View Upcoming Episodes", that works whether the network is up or not. It uses guide data to determine upcoming episodes. That's why it's so fast.
Since you don't use the HDUI, how do you know what it does? If you are using the HDUI, it doesn't use the guide data for "Upcoming". With no network, you get an error if you try to "Explore this show", which is how you get to "Upcoming".

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #14
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Since you don't use the HDUI, how do you know what it does? If you are using the HDUI, it doesn't use the guide data for "Upcoming". With no network, you get an error if you try to "Explore this show", which is how you get to "Upcoming".
Didn't realize we were referring specifically and only to the HDUI. My apologies to anyone who was mislead by my reply.

SDUI rocks!

[Aside: I tried the HDUI again last night, for fun. The overall speed and general reaction time of the menus and features just drives me nuts. There are a few features that are HDUI only, and sadly, this will probably be where TiVo puts all its efforts. I'm on a fast Comcast connection, with a fast, clean wifi signal, so I know that's not an issue. oh well...]
Old 07-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #15
mattack

OK, so if I get one (still semi-seriously thinking about getting one before the Olympics, even though I have a CHEAP eBay S3 arriving next week to hopefully revive my dead lifetime one), I'll leave it on SD UI most likely.. I want speed anyway.