TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-16-2012, 01:08 AM   #1
Beryl

The Newsroom S01E04 "I'll Try to Fix You" 7/15/2012

I was yawning through most of this episode but the last 15 minutes were chilling. In the words of Arnold, "I'll be back."
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Dear TV industry,

In the name of all that is good, PLEASE find a new song to play while sad things are happening.

Fix You is way past worn out.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
inaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
Dear TV industry,

In the name of all that is good, PLEASE find a new song to play while sad things are happening.

It was done to perfection by Chris Martin & Ricky Gervais in Extras:

Extras - Fix You

inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
dthmj
Hinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
Dear TV industry,

I had never heard that song before.

My family is enjoying the series. And last night's episode we thought was pretty good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Gaming Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Personal Blog
dthmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
Shaunnick

I enjoyed this episode. At first I thought the whole thing with Will was just bad luck with pissing off the TMI woman. I thought the show would drag out Jane Fonda's attempt to destroy his character over a few more episodes. So I did not realize that that was exactly what was going on. I liked Will's determination to wait for a second source. We all know that would not happen in real life.

On the real side of things, I had not realized that the cable news networks had reported Gabby Giffords dead. That and the failure to properly report the Supreme Court ruling a couple of weeks ago shows just how far real journalism has fallen.
Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
Ereth

It's all about being "first". That's the point that the son was making when he gave that speech about people changing channels if you aren't current. Accuracy be damned, be first.

In my mind, it shouldn't be allowed to be called journalism any more.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #7
inaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
In my mind, it shouldn't be allowed to be called journalism any more.
"Infotainment"
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
Lori
Social Defective

I liked this episode a lot. I think that they are finding their voices. Better balance of humor this ep, too.

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Do people really think it's true that if your news show is a few minutes later (but gets the story right and tells it in a coherent way), people will switch to another channel? Has anyone offered any proof of that?

I don't believe it. People have shows and channels they prefer to watch, and that's what they'll watch. No one is going to switch from CNN to Fox News (or vice versa) for a few minutes here or there.

When I saw the utter fiasco that was the Martha Stewart trial verdict I was hopeful that there would be so much embarrassment they would give up on the ridiculousness. Obviously that was back when I was naive.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
Do people really think it's true that if your news show is a few minutes later (but gets the story right and tells it in a coherent way), people will switch to another channel? Has anyone offered any proof of that?

I don't believe it. People have shows and channels they prefer to watch, and that's what they'll watch. No one is going to switch from CNN to Fox News (or vice versa) for a few minutes here or there.

When there is a live news event, I will switch around quite a bit depending on a number of factors. I don't think that reporting on a rumor like that would be one of those factors though. It's usually based on video, who they are interviewing and things like that.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #11
dthmj
Hinky

In the case of Gifford being shot... I do remember switching the channel a lot... I don't know what we actually did, but if I was on a station that had said she died, I would have stuck with that one for a while before going to one that had her still alive - as presumably her death is the most recent. Of course we later found it was wrong.. but I think I would have wanted to watch the station that I felt had more recent news.

- Gaming Blog

- Personal Blog
dthmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #12
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
Except me (and I suspect thousands -- if not millions of others).

I switched from CNN to Fox News when Bin Laden was killed. I read on the Fox scroll bar that Bin Laden was actually killed days before and then called a friend to report that "news". She questioned the information and I noticed where my TV was tuned and turned back to CNN.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #13
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
I switched from CNN to Fox News when Bin Laden was killed. I read on the Fox scroll bar that Bin Laden was actually killed days before and then called a friend to report that "news". She questioned the information and I noticed where my TV was tuned and turned back to CNN.
Why did you switch in the first place? Just for comedic effect?

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:35 AM   #14
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

I was shocked and RW afer I read in the credits that it was Hope Davis from American Spendor playing the TMI b.

No, Bigfoot is not real. There would have to be at least two of them in order for Bigfoot to have mama and for more bigfeet to be born.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 07-17-2012 at 09:00 AM.
MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:36 AM   #15
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba

Why did you switch in the first place? Just for comedic effect?
It was a stupid moment, grant you.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:16 AM   #16
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
When there is a live news event, I will switch around quite a bit depending on a number of factors.
I did this a lot on 9/11, ending up on NBC since their coverage had the least amount of conjecture.
kaszeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #17
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post

I switched......to Fox News
Ahhh yes, Fox News. Any oxymoron if ever there was one

ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #18
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Once again, Olivia Munn mangles any approximation of acting or delivering lines professionally.

What it is about faces like Allyson and Mary Louise Parker with the black Betty Rubble(?) eyes?

So the drama is if "the 44th floor" fired Will for cause, he'd be out of work for 3 years with the non-compete clause in his contract. Dunn-dunn-dunn.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #19
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quite an enjoyable episode. The best so far, I think.

dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #20
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

If there was any doubt that the news broadcast they are doing has a liberal leaning, this episode basically dispelled that notion. I see now why the one reviewer said what he did about the lead being a wolf in sheep's clothing. Much of what we saw this episode that was political was not what I would call "good journalism" compared to prior episodes. I did appreciate, however, the symmetry between the $200m/day figure blowing up all over the news and the Giffords false report.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #21
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

wow. The last fifteen minutes had me tearing up. I kept thinking: this is so stupid I know she lives!

And yes, I switch around a lot during major news events.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #22
Shakhari

During the scene where they were trying to decide whether to follow everyone else and report her dead, I kept thinking, "you know, it's easy to get the news right a year later with 20/20 hindsight."
Shakhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #23
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakhari View Post
During the scene where they were trying to decide whether to follow everyone else and report her dead, I kept thinking, "you know, it's easy to get the news right a year later with 20/20 hindsight."
Maybe, but it's easier to get it right when you don't have pressure to prematurely report on things. This and the supreme court's ruling on ACA pretty well demonstrate this issue.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #24
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakhari View Post
That's been every news story so far, starting with the oil spill.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #25
SoBelle0
What's next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy
Dear TV industry,

Ha! I heard that and nearly started tearing up.
Like Robin said - I know she lives why was I getting sad? They've Pavlov'd me with that song.
SoBelle0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #26
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

funny thing is I loathe coldplay.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #27
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
funny thing is I loathe coldplay.
And I don't - I'm just tired of that song being to go-to song for "sad".

Before that one, it was always Only Time by Enya.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #28
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I didn't know the song, so for me, I didn't even think about it.

I thought this episode was a bit too soap opera-y. But I guess that's not surprising as they've been leading up to that. Is it me, or does anyone else think there's no spark between Will and Mac. I don't see them EVER being together. It all seems very forced. I love the inner workings of how the broadcasts shape up and the politics behind the scenes. I could do without the love affairs.

On the Sorkinisms. I know have my son predicting things that will come up again. We were keeping track over the number of times bigfoot was mentioned, and we were saying the bigfoot lines before the actor ever said them. This same type of thing happened so many times on Sports Night and Studio 60, every time they do this shtick it feels like a rerun.

Still like the show though, but I thought this was the weakest episode so far.
Steveknj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #29
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

I really enjoyed Jim pointing out to Maggie who was behind his new relationship, and torturing her with it.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #30
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Man do I hate Coldplay.

The reenactments of media events are compelling but so far the bulk of the characters are hard to tolerate. Great dialogue with the gossip columnist.

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote