TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
dirk1843
I'm your huckleberry

TiVo Desktop Basic (Free) question......

I have used the TiVo Desktop on and off since it was released. Never had a reason to KEEP using it.

However, I was wondering, since you can watch the shows ON the PC you transfer them to, can you watch them on OTHER PCs on the network?

I am moving shows to my server, and think you should be able to stream them to other laptops inside the network, but so far haven't been able to.

Is this possible?

thanks
Old 11-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk1843 View Post
I have used the TiVo Desktop on and off since it was released. Never had a reason to KEEP using it.
Amen.

Quote:
However, I was wondering, since you can watch the shows ON the PC you transfer them to, can you watch them on OTHER PCs on the network?

I am moving shows to my server, and think you should be able to stream them to other laptops inside the network, but so far haven't been able to.

Is this possible?
Yes, it's quite possible, but TDT doesn't provide a very good means of managing it. There are a number of far better ways to transfer videos from the TiVo to an external PC. Galleon, pyTivo, kmttg, or your favorite web browser are all possibilities. For your purposes, I would say the best is kmttg. It will quickly and in a well collected manner scan any TiVo on your LAN and display the contents with various sorting options. It is easy to select one or several shows for transfer, and offers a wide array of post-processing, including running the video through tivodecode or VideoRedo to convert it to a standard MPEG-II file (or other format with VRD). If the feature is turned on, the files will be run through comskip or VRD to create an editing project file or even to automatically remove commercials. (I don't really recommend the latter - no commercial detection software is perfect, but I do have kmttg create the project file so I can, if I choose, edit the video later by hand.) It can automatically create metafiles for use with pyTivo or other utilities. It also has a built-in server that can automatically transfer videos from the TiVo as they are recorded without user intervention.

Galleon will certainly work, and you can arrange to run tivodecode or VRD after the files are transferred. It does have the distinction of being the only softwre that allows the user to select files to transfer from the TiVo UI, as well as from any PC on the LAN. It also has auto-transfer capabilities somewhat more sophisticated than those found in TDT.

PyTivo can transfer videos from the TiVo to the PC, and it does have some limited post-processing capability, but in my estimation, kmttg is a far better choice. It is written in Java and available for Windows, Linux, OS-X, etc. Here is a screen shot of it running under linux:

Last edited by lrhorer : 11-02-2012 at 09:22 AM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
ferrumpneuma
fading fast

lrhorer,

I think based on the tone and context of the OP there may be a technical barrier to the far better TDT alternatives.

Regards
ferrumpneuma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

As was mentioned, kmttg can be used to transfer the videos to your PC and to automatically make them generic MPEG2 files that you can use on any PC.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrumpneuma View Post
lrhorer,

I think based on the tone and context of the OP there may be a technical barrier to the far better TDT alternatives.
Barriers are made to be torn down, and there is always plenty of help available on the forum, for anyone who asks. Installation of kmttg is simple. Configuring it can be very involved, but it can be a staged process. Get one thing working, and then move on to the next. Spending a couple of extra hours setting things up beats all Hell out of wasting dozens of hours over the next several years struggling with a system that is unnecessarily manual.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
^^^ yes!
There are also times a low tech and simple solution are fine for people, I run TD on my WHS because it's easy and does what I need it to, no fuss, no muss, I just don't care to bother with more and I'm sure I'm savvy enough to work with kmttg should I ever desire.

There's no reason to over-complicate things when folks are willing to use a simple solution.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:

Regards
Nonsense.

If the OP is intellegent enough to know how to use Tivo Desktop and transfer files between computers, he should be able to figure out the TDT alternatives. There is plenty of information out there.

His problem boils down to the Tivo encryption.
His solution is to install Tivo Desktop on all the computers that are expected to use the .tivo files, or use alternative methods that do the same thing and better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:01 AM   #8
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
^^^ yes!
There are also times a low tech
Low tech and computers. Now there is an oxymoron. By definition a low tech approach cannot involve a computer.

Quote:
and simple solution are fine for people,
TDT is not simple. It is complex and rickety, and only works for a very narrow set of parameters. When it breaks, it can be devilishly difficult to figure out what is wrong, let alone fix it. It is an extremely poorly written and badly limited piece of ... software.

Quote:
I run TD on my WHS because it's easy and does what I need it to, no fuss, no muss
A pet rock is no muss and no fuss, too. Don't expect it to do anything useful, though. 'Same with DTD, for similar reasons.

Quote:
I just don't care to bother with more and I'm sure I'm savvy enough to work with kmttg should I ever desire.
Kmttg is one hell of a lot easier to use than TDT. It also does a great many useful things that TDT cannot, and does them faster and far more reliably than TDT.

Quote:
There's no reason to over-complicate things when folks are willing to use a simple solution.
Which is one very good reason why folks, especially those wanting to do what the OP does, should not use TDT.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:35 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:

Is this possible?

thanks
Streaming? I don't think that's what TiVo Desktop does, exactly.

When you "transfer" (it's really copying, because the original doesn't disappear) a show to a computer running Desktop, it shows up in the My TiVo Recordings folder as a .tivo file, and you can play it with something like Windows Media Player, if you have the right codecs installed.

If you're "transferring" a show to a TiVo from a TiVo or from a PC running Desktop which has already had that show "transferred" to it, you can start watching before it finishes "transferring" to the TiVo.

But if you're going from TiVo to the My TiVo Recordings folder on the PC running Desktop, I don't know if you can start watching the file before it finishes getting copied or not.

As long as you use the same Media Access Key when you install Desktop on any other XP or higher PCs on your home network, you can copy .tivo files from one computer to the other and play them on either.

For instance, I've got a PC set up to do Desktop for the TiVos I set up for my mom.

I've got another one setup to do Desktop for my TiVos.

All of those TiVos are on my account, so all share the same MAK, so if she records something I'm interested in, like Masterpiece Mystery from PBS, I can either copy it from her TiVo to the PC that holds her stuff, and then copy from there to either one of my TiVos or my Desktop running PC, and watch it on that PC or leave it there and copy it from there to one of my TiVos later so that I can watch it on an actual television.

Also, you can create sub-folders in the My TiVo Recordings folder, and when you go to the bottom of your Now Playing list and select the PC, those folders will show up and you can then select one of them, so when I recently wanted to reload all of last year's Person of Interest episodes on a TiVo, I didn't have to wade through hundreds of programs, I went to that PCs listing in the NPL and then selected the CBS shows folder and then the Person of Interest folder inside of that.

Actually though, what I really did was to select the Disk_One folder, and then CBS, because inside the My TiVo Recordings folder on the PC I had a shortcut to an entirely separate hard drive which is all one big NTFS partition which is labeled Disk_One.

That short cut shows up in the NPL just like a folder inside the MTR folder.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #10
jcthorne

Actually for that specific task, I think kmttg is far better and very easy to install and use. kmttg, pytivo, vidmgr etc all run just fine in windows. No linux required....unless you want to.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #11
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
His problem boils down to the Tivo encryption.
His solution is to install Tivo Desktop on all the computers that are expected to use the .tivo files
I may be mistaken, but I seem to recall running more than one copy of TDT on the network causes things to go crunch. In any case, at best it would result in a bunch of bogus folders in the TiVo NPL.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #12
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I forgot to add that you can do a partial uninstall of Tivo Desktop on the secondary computers.
This essentially removes the software from the computer, but it leaves the required codecs so you can still play .tivo files with WMP.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 11-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #13
lrhorer

Quote:
I see. All the OP needs to do is spend 500 hours learning how to get a Linux install working.
It takes the average user less time to install and configure a Linux system than a Windows system. I've installed dozens of both. Linux is definitely easier to install, or at least Debian Linux is. Fedora is not too difficult, either, although I find configuring it to be a bit more tedious. That may be just a personal thing, though.

Learning everything there is to know about Linux takes a lot more than 500 hours. It takes decades. The same is true of Windows, except that it is much, much harder to find the information, and there is a huge body of important information concerning Windows that simply cannot be had, no matter how long one searches.

Quote:
User/group permissions
Are trivial. Windows user and group permissions, although not particularly difficult to manage, are a lot more complicated. Windows permissions are set through ACL lists, and are applied to users, groups, and files in what can easily become a bewildering maze of security. Linux permissions are set only on files, with each file having a very simple set of permissions allowing all users, the group, or the file owner to read, write, or execute the file or not. Admittedly, this is one area where Windows has a more powerful system in place for management, but it is definitely NOT simpler or easier to understand.

Quote:
firewall settings
Assuming one has a firewall, and many distros do not implement one by default, managing a firewall in Linux is no more difficult than under Windows. I don't have any such nonsense on my systems, either Linux or Windows, with the exception of one server that requires it. Managing it is simple. Although I am not currently running kmttg on that server, I have done so, with zero issues. That server is currently running pyTivo, Galleon, vidmgr, and Jukebox, also with zero issues. (It's also running ftpd, sshd, openvpn, ntpd, dhcpd, telnetd, ncid, etc.)

Quote:
hardware drivers are all easy peasy.
One whole hell of a lot easier than under Windows, that's for sure. I haven't had to pay any special attention to any hardware under Linux for several years, with one small exception a couple of years ago. Even that was simply a matter of deleting a file. By comparison, my housekeeper was having severe problems with her desktop computer about a month ago. She brought it over to me to try to fix. After many hours of struggling with it to no avail, I told her she simply had to replace the OS. She did not have her original software discs that came with the PC, so I got her Windows XP Pro. I spent literally DAYS trying to get compatible drivers for her motherboard. It didn't help that one of the devices for which the Windows install did not install drivers was the Ethernet port. I had to download that driver to one of my other workstations and burn it to a CD. Then the OS did not recognize the DVD bruner. I had to replace her DVD burner before I could get it to read the CD. I finally was able to get most of them, but there are still a couple of pieces of the motherboard hardware that are without drivers. Of course, all her programs and their configurations were lost. It was, after all, Windows.

As it happens, on that very same PC, about a year ago, her printer quit working. She brought the system over then, too. I tried to install the printer drivers (from HP). No joy. I downloaded the newest version. Nope. I removed all the printer software and then even all the HP software. I cleared out the registry to all references to HP or anything similar to the names of the drivers and software the HP disk was attempting to load. No matter what, the drivers would start loading, continue until they were about 90% done, and then back themselves out. Attempting to manually install the drivers did not work. I finally had to tell her the only solution was to wipe the OS and install a new one. At that point in time she refused.

Quote:
Then he can transfer show out of his TiVo the easy way.
Yes, and potentially save himself untold hours of grief and extra work down the line. Only an idiot worries about how much time and trouble installing and configuring a utility may be while ignoring the long term consequences of the installation choices. Far more importantly in this and many other cases, however, is the fact TDT simply cannot easily do what the OP wants to do.

Quote:
I think you guys underestimate how much your experience with software makes the TDT alternatives "easy" for you.
I think you insult the OP by underestimating his intelligence. I'm certainly not denigrating experience, but anyone who can read and follow instructions can get the job done, albeit more slowly. It took me less than 2 minutes to install kmttg under Linux and only a bit longer under Windows. It took me less than 20 minutes to configure kmttg the first time. Now it takes me only a few seconds to copy over the config file any time I want to create a new instance. If it takes the OP ten or even twenty times that long it is time well spent, and soon to be recovered.

Quote:
I remember when I decided to start learning Linux. I felt like a bad ass when I successfully burned my first live CD .iso and played some breakout. I have been tinkering with linux since SuSe 9.1. I remember my first HD install. It seemed that with default settings nothing would work(the wonderful security of Linux!).
I'm not very familiar with SuSe. I've certainly never had any issues getting the vast majority of things working.

Quote:
My experience getting KMTTG working under linux was quite different. Learning to compile tivodecode is "easy" right?
Yes. 'Nothing difficult about

./configure
make
make install

If one doesn't happen to already know how, then www.google.com works wonders. Try "how to install tivodecode linux" or "how to compile a linux program"

Failing all that, he can always just look at the README file:

Code:
tivodecode (c) 2006-2007, Jeremy Drake
Version 0.2pre3
See COPYING for license terms.

This project now uses autoconf for its build system.  See the INSTALL file for
generic autoconf instructions, or just run:
./configure
make
make install
Quote:
Locating where my distro keeps ffmpeg was a piece of cake for someone with zero experience, right?
which ffmpeg

Again, failing that, Google: how to find a file in linux

Quote:
Let alone discovering what tivodecode and ffmpeg are.
man ffmpeg

or Google: ffmpeg

(I don't use ffmpeg with kmttg, but it certainly *CAN* be used, which cannot be said for TDT.)

Google: tivodecode

Or just read this thread, which tells him all he needs to know about tivodecode to get started.

Quote:
Tell me how hard TDT is to get working
Effectively impossible.

Quote:
If I remember it went something like so:

- download easily located installer from TiVo

- double click said installer
Buzz!

It failed. At this point, had I been as much of a noob as you suggest the OP is, I would have been stuck quite badly. With some difficulty I was able to circumvent the issue.

Explain to me again how this is supposed to be "easy"?

Quote:
- say yes to defaults
And if the defaults do not serve one's needs? They rarely do, at least not very well.

Quote:
- enter MAK

- start transferring shows
Buzz!

Sorry, not even. As with most people who have multiple PCs in the house, I want to transfer the files to the file server, or perhaps a NAS, not one of the clients. The OP may or may not have similar desires now or in the near future. He has already stated he has multiple PCs. Of course, the answer is simple: point the publishing source and destination to the video share on the file server, in my case V:.

Buzz!

TDT will not allow the source or destination to be on a shared resource.

OK, so now what?

Quote:
The OP wants to watch .tivo files on his windows PC. TDT is the easiest solution to get there.
No, he doesn't. He wants to watch videos on his *OTHER* PCs. It also is not the easiest if he wants to

1. Save space and time by eliminating commercials
2. Save space and potentially vastly increase transfer time by converting the files to h.264
3. Use more sophisticated utilities such as vidmgr or stream the files to the network.
4. Store the files on a NAS or file server.
5. Simultaneously download from multiple TiVos, convert them to portable formats and manage the videos on those TiVos while the files are downloading.

Last edited by lrhorer : 11-03-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #14
lrhorer

Quote:
I forgot to add that you can do a partial uninstall of Tivo Desktop on the secondary computers.
This essentially removes the software from the computer, but it leaves the required codecs so you can still play .tivo files with WMP.
Yeah, that's true. How doing all that on a bunch of different computers (assuming they are all running Windows) is supposed to be easier than loading kmttg one one is a bit beyond me.

Last edited by lrhorer : 11-03-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #15
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Actually for that specific task, I think kmttg is far better and very easy to install and use.
Agreed. Indeed, I used to use TyTool, since it transfers easily 4x faster than TDT and far easier to use, but I just could not pass up on the power and convenience of kmttg, even though it is no faster than TDT at transfers. (It uses the same mechanism as TDT.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
kmttg, pytivo, vidmgr etc all run just fine in windows. No linux required....unless you want to.
They also run perfectly well on AIX, Solaris, HP-UX, OS-X, VMS, or even OS/2 or on an I-Pad, if one really must. They would even run on an AS/400, if one has one lying around. Moving them from one system to another, or even one platform to another is trivial. Moving TDT from one system to another is a little arduous. Moving from one platform to another is impossible.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #16
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
I may be mistaken, but I seem to recall running more than one copy of TDT on the network causes things to go crunch. In any case, at best it would result in a bunch of bogus folders in the TiVo NPL.
Nope, each computer shows up in the NPLs as a different folder.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #17
unitron

On the PCs I have running Desktop, I have the My TiVo Recordings folder relocated to a partition other than the C: drive.

I use Desktop to copy shows into it and then I sort them into folders on partitons on other drives, and have shortcuts to those partitions in the MTR folder, so it all shows up in the NPLs.

Don't know about other network drives (NAS, SAN?), but my old Buffalo Link Station Pro can be mapped to a drive letter and a shortcut to that placed in the MTR folder as well, and any .tivo files on the Link Station can be seen in the NPL.

I'm not saying don't use something other than Desktop, and I'm not saying don't use Linux, and I'm not saying I might not do either or both at some point in the future, but with a little experimentation I've been able to make using Desktop a little more flexible than the stock setup.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #18
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
It takes the average user less time to install ...
In that single post you've spent more time on this issue than I have in setting up and working with Tivo Desktop in over 5+ years, I consider my point that some folks are ok with simple and limited very well made.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #19
unitron

Quote:
In that single post you've spent more time on this issue than I have in setting up and working with Tivo Desktop in over 5+ years, I consider my point that some folks are ok with simple and limited very well made.
I'm not so sure I'd call Desktop very well made (it's got a bug or three that get in the way of the way I use it), but it generally is easy to install and work with for the average user.

As far as I know, no one has ever accused me of being average, in either a good or a bad way.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #20
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I'm not so sure I'd call Desktop very well made (it's got a bug or three that get in the way of the way I use it), but it generally is easy to install and work with for the average user.
Actually I was saying my point was well made TD works in a nominal fashion, and that's all I need/want.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #21
lrhorer

Quote:
Nope, each computer shows up in the NPLs as a different folder.
That's what I just said. One folder for each PC running TDT.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #22
lrhorer

Quote:
And I spent less than 1/10th the time I did trying to get TDT to work, without succeeding. I've seen reports that one can manually edit the registry to force TDT to use an MRL, but I've never bothered to try. It's so pathetically limited, it isn't worth the effort.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #23
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Yeah, that's true. How doing all that on a bunch of different computers (assuming they are all running Windows) is supposed to be easier than loading kmttg one one is a bit beyond me.
In my view, it would be trivial. So you spend some time and bandwidth downloading and installing Tivo Desktop on all the computers.
Don't get me wrong, I don't advocate using TD over one of the other tools if one is willing to take the time to set them up, but TD is not as bad as you make it out to be. It does the basics just fine.
For instance, I have PyTivo in my download folder. I'm sure I could set it up and tweak it to my liking, but I haven't done it, yet. Why? Because for now TD suits my needs.

Quote:
I use Desktop to copy shows into it and then I sort them into folders on partitons on other drives, and have shortcuts to those partitions in the MTR folder, so it all shows up in the NPLs.
I used to do this until just recently. I started having a problem with the TD server. It would not run constantly like it's supposed to. I read that it could be due to a "corrupted" video file.
So I removed the shortcuts and copied everything I wanted to save to a new folder, essentially making my NPL empty. That got TD working properly.
Around this same time frame, Windows started giving me messages about one of my hard drives failing, so that might have been a factor. I had a shortcut link in the MTR folder pointing to the hard drive that was failing.
At this point, I don't know if it was a corrupted video or the failing hard drive.

Edit: I don't know what TD does, but I wonder if it contributed to the hard drive failure. I suspect not, but for now I'm not using the shortcuts in the MTR folder.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 11-03-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #24
unitron

Quote:
That's what I just said. One folder for each PC running TDT.
"...at best it would result in a bunch of bogus folders in the TiVo NPL. "

They aren't "bogus", they're each the .tivo files in the MTR folders on that particular computer (or in folders or partitions "shortcutted" into the MTR folder).

They're no more "bogus" than the folder that shows up if yoy have more than one TiVo on the network.

You can even copy shows from one TiVo to a PC running Desktop and use another PC to copy shows from another TiVo at the same time. Granted it doesn't exactly speed up the process, but Desktop running on more than one PC on the network has never caused a problem that I've seen. (other than filling up hard drives faster than my budget can keep up with)

Old 11-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #25
lrhorer

Quote:
Actually I was saying my point was well made
That's not the sense of your post. For the record, TDT is among the most poorly crafted pieces of software I have ever seen. It's bad from conception on down.

Quote:
TD works in a nominal fashion, and that's all I need/want.
A horse and buggy works in a nominal fashion (far better than TDT does for its respective purpose), and folks like the Amish and Menonites say it is all they want or need. I am not casting aspersions on the Amish, and I both own and enjoy dealing with horses, but most people, including me, prefer to use automobiles for everyday transportation, the fact a horse and buggy gets the job done notwithstanding.

Answer this, please. What is it about the superior ease, vastly greater power, and greater flexibility of kmttg that compels you not to use it?

Same question for pyTivo?

Same question for vidmgr?

Do you even know what those features are or how they could enhance your experience? Or did you just convince yourself you are too stupid to make any use of them? I assure you, you are not. I also assure you they are far easier to use than TDT, and can potentially save you a lot of time.

Last edited by lrhorer : 11-04-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #26
lrhorer

Quote:
"...at best it would result in a bunch of bogus folders in the TiVo NPL. "

They aren't "bogus", they're each the .tivo files in the MTR folders on that particular computer (or in folders or partitions "shortcutted" into the MTR folder).
They are bogus in the sense he does not wish to share content from any of the other PCs on the TiVos.

Quote:
They're no more "bogus" than the folder that shows up if yoy have more than one TiVo on the network.
Which may be the case. It is certainly possible to control which TiVos show up in either kmttg or pyTivo. Certainly I want all of mine to show up, but I can most definitely think of reasons why one might wish not. One could run one copy of pyTivo for the TiVos used by the adults and another for one used by the kids, for example. I am just about certain one cannot run multiple instances of TDT on a single PC.

Quote:
You can even copy shows from one TiVo to a PC running Desktop and use another PC to copy shows from another TiVo at the same time.
Or one can run kmttg and simultaneously copy shows from as many TiVos at one time as one has TiVos. Not only that, but post-processing of the files is not done serially with transfers. As soon as one show from a given Tivo is done transferring, if there are any additional shows from the same TiVo in queue, the transfer starts immediately, while post processing on the previous show(s) continues.

Quote:
Granted it doesn't exactly speed up the process
It does with kmttg.

Quote:
but Desktop running on more than one PC on the network has never caused a problem that I've seen.
Perhaps it was some other software run simultaneously with TDT. Maybe Galleon. Perhaps it was attempting to run Galleon and TDT on the same PC. It's been too long for me to recall in detail.

Quote:
(other than filling up hard drives faster than my budget can keep up with)
That's another matter. Happily, my servers are both well stocked with drives, for the moment. I should not need to upgrade the main server for well over a year, and the backup should be OK still for several months.

Last edited by lrhorer : 11-03-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:36 AM   #27
lrhorer

Quote:
On the PCs I have running Desktop, I have the My TiVo Recordings folder relocated to a partition other than the C: drive.
I never said that was not possible. This computer has a second drive. I could point TDT to that drive. I could even share that drive on the network, if I choose. One cannot, however, choose a shared drive as a target for the files transferred from the TiVos.

There is a reason for this, but it is a bad one, deriving from the poor conceptualization by the developers of how TDT should work. Drive letters are not fundamental to the operation of Windows, and they are only vaid for a particular login. Logging in as one user can produce different drive letters than logging in as a different user, and the drive mappings are saved on a per-user basis. TDT could have been crafted to allow the use of MRLs instead of drive letters, but it was not, for no particularly good reason.

Quote:
All of which is a manual process, and a slow and limited one. I have kmttg (or Galleon, TyTool, pyTivo, whatever) download the files to a holding directory on the server. From there, processing can occur on any PC, and I often have it going on from more than one PC at a time. Moves or creating hard links within the directories of the main share occur in milliseconds, not tens of minutes.

Quote:
Don't know about other network drives (NAS, SAN?), but my old Buffalo Link Station Pro can be mapped to a drive letter and a shortcut to that placed in the MTR folder as well, and any .tivo files on the Link Station can be seen in the NPL.
Again, that was not my point. Create a drive mapping on the PC running TDT to the NAS. Now go to TDT, select File => Preferences, and click on the <Change> button next to the window below the text "This folder contains your transferred TiVo recordings." Browse the drive mappings on your computer and try to select the Buffalo NAS. It won't let you.

Quote:
I'm not saying don't use something other than Desktop, and I'm not saying don't use Linux, and I'm not saying I might not do either or both at some point in the future, but with a little experimentation I've been able to make using Desktop a little more flexible than the stock setup.
Yes, of course, a lttle. Nothing remotely like this, though:

Or this:

Note the simultaneous transfers in progress and another queued.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #28
lrhorer

Quote:
In my view, it would be trivial.
So is installing kmttg and pyTivo. Trivial, and more importantly no chance of a stupid installer failing.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:56 AM   #29
lrhorer

Quote:

OK, so just now I fired up TDT on a Windows computer. The recordings folder is pointed to D:\Video. I highlighted a valid video file - "V:\Devils Brigade, The (Recorded Wed Oct 06, 2010, MGMHD).mpg" - and created a shortcut to it under D:\Video. TDT instantly locked up tight. Attempts to re-start it result in the following:

The server has disappeared from the TiVos. So now what?
Old 11-04-2012, 12:57 AM   #30
unitron

Quote:
OK, so just now I fired up TDT on a Windows computer. The recordings folder is pointed to D:\Video. I highlighted a valid video file - "V:\Devils Brigade, The (Recorded Wed Oct 06, 2010, MGMHD).mpg" - and created a shortcut to it under D:\Video. TDT instantly locked up tight. Attempts to re-start it result in the following:

So now what?
You don't put shortcuts to files in the MTR folder, you put shortcuts to folders with the files in them.