TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
Johncv

Google launches Kansas City fiber net, intros Google Fiber TV

Anyone from Kansas City signing up?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-574...ogle-fiber-tv/

If someone from Kansas here sign up, please post pic, info, ect.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
celtic pride

I wish i lived in KC!,WOW hundreds of HD 1080P, channels on fiber!,RECORD 8 SHOWS AT A TIME!1000 mpbs internet,for $120.00 a month,and if you dont want that you pay for internet at $25.00 a month for 12 months and get 6 years FREE INTERNET(1up) (5 down),also with their tv/internet package you get a free nexus7 tablet! on the tv package they only offer 1 tier pricing,the only thing you pay extra for is the premium channels.I wish google would buy verizon fios and tivo and incorate all this together! the pressures on tivo ,time to make a DVR that can rcord at least 8 channels at once!!!

Last edited by celtic pride : 07-26-2012 at 06:27 PM.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

I wonder how much they will be losing with those ultra low prices?

What about phone service? I didn't see them mention anything about phone service. That seemed odd in this day and age. It's what made Comcast the nations third largest home phone service provider.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
tneison

First time ever I have been jealous of KC. 1Gbps is ridiculous.
tneison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

Yes, that puts to shame the 150/65 tier I'm upgrading to on FiOS.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
Old 07-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #6
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes, that puts to shame the 150/65 tier I'm upgrading to on FiOS.
It does but I do wonder if the average consumer would ever even push past 150. To get to 1,000Mbps, it would be hard to even stress test that it is so much

Having 1000Mbps upload is just crazy though.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:36 PM   #7
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic pride View Post
I wish i lived in KC!,WOW hundreds of HD 1080P, channels on fiber!,RECORD 8 SHOWS AT A TIME!1000 mpbs internet,for $120.00 a month,and if you dont want that you pay for internet at $25.00 a month for 12 months and get 6 years FREE INTERNET(1up) (5 down),also with their tv/internet package you get a free nexus7 tablet! on the tv package they only offer 1 tier pricing,the only thing you pay extra for is the premium channels.I wish google would buy verizon fios and tivo and incorate all this together! the pressures on tivo ,time to make a DVR that can rcord at least 8 channels at once!!!
You made the same mistake the others had reading that article. Google, for now, have NO plane to expand this. They want other to do it: “in a move it hopes will push the broadband and paid TV industries to deploy speedier networks at a lower cost.“ This may give Tivo the advantage, the pressures will be on the “other” providers They may end up having to work with TiVo. If you have a “job” that let you work from home I don’t think you want to move, it 10 degree below in the winter (Winter is coming! ) and a 100 or higher in summer.

What I need is anyone from KC who can sign up for this is to post anything they can.

HDTiVo
Old 07-27-2012, 01:15 AM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
It does but I do wonder if the average consumer would ever even push past 150. To get to 1,000Mbps, it would be hard to even stress test that it is so much

Having 1000Mbps upload is just crazy though.
Yes those are some crazy speeds. The only reason I'm upgrading to the 150/65 tier on FiOS is for the upload speeds since I recently started using alot more cloud storage. (And I keep bumping up against the 37Mb/s limit when I upload data) That is the first tier with faster upload speeds than my current tier. If they would have offered something like a 65/65 tier I would have preferred to have upgraded to that instead.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:32 AM   #9
spidershowl11

I hope that Google branches out to other parts of America that lack fiber lines. They should be spreading fiber to all parts of the country. I think the US military is already using the fibre technology.
spidershowl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
Johncv

Google Fiber TV disappoints in Kansas City, but will spur innovation in cable industr

Sound like Google not going to roll it out very fast:

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/goo...ource=internal

Look like you will get VOD on TiVo before you ever Google TV or internet.

HDTiVo
Old 07-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #11
celtic pride

can someone tell me how much the 150/65 speed cost on fios?
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic pride View Post
can someone tell me how much the 150/65 speed cost on fios?
No idea what it is separately but my total price, bundled with Digital voice and Ultimate HD TV, is $150(plus taxes).

EDIT: I just checked on the website. 150/65 as a stand alone service with a two year contract is $100 in my area.
While the 300/65 service is $210.

WOW they really charge alot for internet when unbundled. 75/35 is $90, 50/25 is $80, 15/5 is $70 and 3/1 is a whopping $60

Last edited by aaronwt : 07-28-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #13
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidershowl11 View Post
I hope that Google branches out to other parts of America that lack fiber lines. They should be spreading fiber to all parts of the country. I think the US military is already using the fibre technology.
Keep on dreamin' The only cable TV provider within 50 miles of my location is TWC and they only run fiber to substations that serve areas of many square miles. If you want to invest a few $Billion and have a good business plan I'm sure a fiber-into-the-home system could be done. You will have to deal with numerous local franchising entities and, unless you want to recreate an entire system (which includes a lot more than just running fiber), you will have to team up with TWC. I'm in a metro area of about 800K population, so this isn't a just a "rural" problem.

Easy to say "they should ..." Eventually fiber-into-the-home should and will happen, but the time before most homes can get it will be measured in decades. It will be a this long before the business model makes sense in areas like mine already served by coax systems.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #14
SWFan

I'm in KC, but I'm not in their covered area. Phase I is just covering the core part of Kansas City, MO and the core part of Kansas City, KS. I live in KCMO proper, but north of downtown which crosses a major river. Unfortunately for phase I they are no including any neighborhoods north of the river. According to their website there will be a phase II that supposedly will expand the service to the northern and southern parts of the city. My guess is I won't see that until 2014 or 2015.

Oddly, I received a flyer in the mail from Google advertising their fiber service, even though I can't get it for the foreseeable future.

Google rented some space in a mid-town entertainment district to showcase the service. Its been jam-packed with people since it opened.

Captain Kirk: "Once again we've saved civilization as we know it."
Dr. McCoy: "And the good news is they're not going to prosecute."
SWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:03 AM   #15
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Easy to say "they should ..." Eventually fiber-into-the-home should and will happen, but the time before most homes can get it will be measured in decades. It will be a this long before the business model makes sense in areas like mine already served by coax systems.
Well I live about 1/2 mile from the end of the cable line (about 1 mile from my local village) and have been told by TWC not to expect to get cable in my lifetime (I am 54 & have lived here longer than cable has been in my town) and we are part of a 1.2 million person MSA. Lucky for me I can get DSL.

The reality is that a large number of people will never see fiber and the only way that is going to change is if the Government mandates it. The only reason some of us have hard wired telephone is because by law they have to provide it and that may change as the telcos are quietly trying to change that law.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 08-03-2012 at 06:10 AM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote