TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-30-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
mwhip
All better

Hey Firefly fans, watch Terriers!!!

This is my plea for this seasons "Best show you're not watching". Terriers is a fantastic show brought to us by some of the best people in TV in the last 10 years. First off there is Tim Minear who was involved in Firelfy, Dollhouse and Wonderfalls. Then there is Shaw Ryan the mastermind behind The Shield. Lastly the creator Ted Griffin who wrote Oceans Eleven and Matchstick Men. The show combines the best of all these guys with some great acting. However the show is not doing well and is a bubble show for another season. Give it a shot on iTunes or Amazon Video and hopefully we can get at least one more season.

Terriers Trailer

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/originals/terriers/

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
Ekims
Don't care anymore

Agreed
Old 11-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

And Firefly fans will say, "Why should we have our hearts ripped from our chests AGAIN? And it's not even Joss Whedon! No thanks!"
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:58 PM   #4
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
And Firefly fans will say, "Why should we have our hearts ripped from our chests AGAIN? And it's not even Joss Whedon! No thanks!"
Because that's the attitude that gets these shows lousy ratings in the first place!! It's a self fulfilling prophecy. I won't watch said great show because there might not be enough people watching, so I don't want to get involved in the show for fear of cancellation. But perhaps if all the people who felt that way watched the show, it would get good ratings and NOT get canceled.

BTW, I didn't watch Firefly, which was a sci fi show (I think?). This show is NOT like that at all. It's a detective caper, more like something like The Shield. The acting is great, the characters are well written, and the storyline is interesting and you can see that the writers have really thought this through.

I highly recommend this show.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
spikedavis

Terriers is fantastic. It's so enjoyable.
spikedavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
rrrobinsonjr

Terriers is not in the same league as Firefly. I will not miss it when its canceled.
rrrobinsonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:13 PM   #7
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrobinsonjr View Post
Terriers is not in the same league as Firefly. I will not miss it when its canceled.
Yeah, Terriers is in the majors......not sure about Firefly, except I like to swat them outside

just kidding...it's a joke.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrobinsonjr View Post
Post 6 to threadcrap not bad.

Did I say it was in the same league? Did I compare it to Firefly? :rollseyes:

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
Post 6 to threadcrap not bad.

Did I say it was in the same league? Did I compare it to Firefly? :rollseyes:
Well you kind of did, by appealing to Firefly fans, it begs for a comparison. That said, outside of there being some of the one guy who was involved in both, there's really no comparison between the two. It's like comparing Lost to Undercovers just because JJ Abrams was involved in both. They really have nothing to do with each other and aren't even similar in their appeal (as I found out). A Firefly fan might be more interested in something like The Event. That said, Terriers is a great show, and I like it.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:50 PM   #10
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
It looks interesting, I wish I had started watching it earlier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:09 PM   #11
retrodog
King Button Pusher

I've been watching it. And the only reason that I started was because the star was on the first Blade movie. It seems weird to see him playing a regular role, but he's pretty interesting at it.
Vegetarians- The #1 preferred food source of carnivores.

Alcohol kills brain cells. But it's only the ones that were annoying the crap out of you anyway.
retrodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:21 PM   #12
rrrobinsonjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
...the only reason that I started was because the star was on the first Blade movie....
I can't watch anything unless I can somehow correlate it to "Blade"...or tax evasion.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:55 PM   #13
Mishkin

I didn't feel the love for Terriers. Did it get better after the first two episodes?
Old 11-30-2010, 05:19 PM   #14
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I have every intention of watching this show at some point. Alan Sepinwall (TV critic at Hitfix) is a huge supporter of this show and I generally trust his judgment. I set a SP when it first started airing, but I forgot to change the number of episodes that it keeps so many of the early episodes fell off before I realized it.

Sepinwall has also said that if this show didn't come back, the season finale works well as a series finale and it would be worth watching just as a stand-alone season.

Finally, the ratings for this show are horrible. Less than 1 million viewers per episode and the adults 18-49 ratings are usually in the 0.2-0.3 range. The only reason FX will even contemplate bringing this show back is because of the critical praise its received, because it certainly doesn't have the viewership to warrant a renewal.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #15
rrrobinsonjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishkin View Post
I didn't feel the love for Terriers. Did it get better after the first two episodes?
I wouldn't know. I couldn't get past that point myself. It seemed more on par with standard network drama fair to me. Sepinwall's praise early-on seemed unwarranted.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:24 PM   #16
ElJay

Quote:
I think it definitely took a few episodes to get going, though it still feels like an uneven show. Some episodes have brilliant writing while others are so dull to me. The overall sum of my feelings for it is disappointing, unfortunately.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:33 PM   #17
mclark11

I had a welch terrier when I was a kid. There's all kinds of Terriers and they are great dogs. Not too big and not too small and very protective... What kind of terriers does this show have?
mclark11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:04 PM   #18
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Fabulous show. My favorite of the year.
uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:22 PM   #19
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark11 View Post
I had a welch terrier when I was a kid. There's all kinds of Terriers and they are great dogs. Not too big and not too small and very protective... What kind of terriers does this show have?
No one knows, actually.

I think this thread is too little, too late. Isn't this week the season finale?

I've really enjoyed this show; it definitely picked up after the original mystery was over. My wife was very "meh" on it after the first 2-3 episodes but I kept watching, and now it's one of her "let's watch it the same night" shows--of which there aren't many.

I'll definitely be sad when it's not renewed... as seems inevitable at this point.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:36 PM   #20
Howie
Out of Pocket

I like the hell out of this series and hope it gets renewed, but why is it called Terriers?
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:31 AM   #21
cheesesteak
Meh.

Terriers is great. The best new show of the season.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:20 AM   #22
fmowry

Might be a first where I agree with uncdrew and cheesesteak in the same thread. They doomed Terriers with a poor name and very little pumping. Sons of Anarchy got a million previews and a ton of press before it started. Terriers got nothing.

The show is a great serious drama with excellent chemistry between the two leads. And it has the grit of an FX show. I can't believe a show like Hawaii 5-0 gets the great ratings and nobody watches this.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:42 AM   #23
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

Now, we can't say it go NO promotion - there were multiple promos during "Louie" every week. They weren't particularly good promos, but they did exist.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:41 AM   #24
cheesesteak
Meh.

Yeah, FX did it no favors. This was one instance where a network suit should have meddled and vetoed the name "Terriers".

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:26 AM   #25
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
Now, we can't say it go NO promotion - there were multiple promos during "Louie" every week. They weren't particularly good promos, but they did exist.
I hope you are being sarcastic It needed promos during the WS, or during football (since FX is a Fox channel). Unfortunately, I came across this show because of a review in the NY Times, not through any type of network push.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:36 AM   #26
Mishkin

My impression w/ the first two episodes was that the show had a typical "buddy cop" premise. The writing seemed okay but I didn't find myself liking or relating to the two main characters.

Does the show have an intriguing, ongoing plotline or is it a case-of-the-week type thing? I'm not trying to threadcrap...it just seemed pretty formulitic from what I saw.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:57 AM   #27
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
My impression w/ the first two episodes was that the show had a typical "buddy cop" premise. The writing seemed okay but I didn't find myself liking or relating to the two main characters.

Does the show have an intriguing, ongoing plotline or is it a case-of-the-week type thing? I'm not trying to threadcrap...it just seemed pretty formulitic from what I saw.
It's a little of both, the case of the week seems to lead somehow into the big picture, which has been relieved over the last 2-3 weeks.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:58 AM   #28
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Some of both. There's an ongoing story that was important for a while early on, and is important now in the last few, and crops up a little here and there in between. And there's a case-of-the-week which usually has little or nothing to do with the ongoing story.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:08 AM   #29
fmowry

Quote:

Strange as my impression of the first two episodes had me really liking and relating to the two main characters (as much as a non cop/criminal/PI can).
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:11 AM   #30
rrrobinsonjr

Quote:
...it just seemed pretty formulaic from what I saw.
bingo