TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
ScottE22
How YOU doin'?

Repurposing a DirecTV DECA Adapter for MOCA?

I'm transitioning from DTV and their DVR to TiVo with an OTA antenna. I'm currently feeding the TiVo with one of those Netgear ethernet over powerline adapters. I use them for other applications in the house where and they've worked better than wifi and are cost-effective.

Evidently, the power outlet near the TV where the TiVo lacks the mojo needed for a speedy connection. It works consistently, but it's noticeably slower. The light on the adapter is red which means the connection is not good.

I've looked at MOCA, but it's awfully spendy to get into with the basic Actiontec kit at $150. Not to mention that it's backordered for 2-4 weeks...

Now, leftover from my DTV install, I have one of these DECA Broadband Router Kits (the $49 one - the DCCK). I would guess that if I hooked it from my main router into one of the two coax lines that run to my main TV (I only need one for the OTA antenna that feeds the TiVo) and bought another one for the end near the TV, I should have a "poor man's" MOCA setup. Am I correct?

The primary benefit I can see with the MOCA kit is that it combines TV and data at one end, feeds it over a coax cable, and then splits it at the other so you can feed both a TV and an ethernet connection. The DECA adapter, OTOH, effectively turns the coax into an ethernet cable and back again at the other end.

Since I have TWO coax hookups behind the TV, I'd be fine with this since I have no need to combine and then un-combine data and video on one line.

Or I could be completely crazy and none of this will work.

So, can I buy another one of these DCCK adapters and solve my problem?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ScottE22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

You can buy a couple of Verizon Actiontec routers and put them in bridge mode. They handle MoCa just fine and can double as a wireless access point if you need it. They go for $20-30 on Ebay.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
ScottE22
How YOU doin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
You can buy a couple of Verizon Actiontec routers and put them in bridge mode. They handle MoCa just fine and can double as a wireless access point if you need it. They go for $20-30 on Ebay.
Are you talking about these? That's brilliant.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottE22 View Post
Are you talking about these? That's brilliant.
Yes. They work great.

That particular listing doesn't come with power supplies. Not all of the power supplies are the same on these things. I have Rev. C and F units and the C has a different size power supply than the F. I have no idea what size the E units use. I went to RadioShack for a power supply for the C unit. They wanted $50!! I found one on Amazon for $8 shipped with Prime.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
ScottE22
How YOU doin'?

I noticed that selling the power supplies separately has become the go-to money-making strategy. Did you find an ActionTec specific one on Amazon or a generic?

Old 02-26-2012, 12:22 AM   #6
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottE22 View Post
I noticed that selling the power supplies separately has become the go-to money-making strategy. Did you find an ActionTec specific one on Amazon or a generic?
I found a generic. It works fine.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #7
ScottE22
How YOU doin'?

If you happen to have an Amazon link to that, I would appreciate it.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #8
darrin75

Directv deca works fine one at router other at whatever you want to have ethernet. I have read several places this would not work, but just got done trying works flawless. Cheap alternative to get ethernet around the house with just coax cable.
darrin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #9
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrin75 View Post
Directv deca works fine one at router other at whatever you want to have ethernet. I have read several places this would not work, but just got done trying works flawless. Cheap alternative to get ethernet around the house with just coax cable.
It does not work if there is also a cable signal on the line. DECA uses the very low end of the frequency spectrum compared to MOCA and DECA gets drowned out with CATV on the line
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
dslunceford

I have Actiontec's set up on all three of our TiVos for Moca and they work fantastic. Much better than going wifi

dslunceford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #11
kdelande
TiVo-Wobble

Slight Hijack....

I've got DirecTV and DECA feeding 3 receivers in my house over my coax. I have other outlets currently unterminated that run back to my common room where my SWM and drops run to. My Internet is via cable, but on a separate, single feed direct from the CableCo to the modem so no signal at all on the house coax (due to having DTV).

My router is an Apple Airport Extreme in the basement and while the coverage is ok on the main floor, it's spotty at the opposite end of the house (from the router) and the 2nd floor and outside are pitiful. Today I have an Airport Express in wireless bridge mode to try and extend the wireless range but it's not working well as it dramatically slows down the bandwidth to the wireless clients connecting to it.

It sounds like I could use something DECA compatible to turn one of my unterminated coax runs into a hard wired connection for the Airport Express. If yes, what specifically would I need to get for that?

Thanks!

XBL: kdawg5
kdelande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #12
compnurd

Need one of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-DI...#ht_500wt_1156
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
kdelande
TiVo-Wobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
Didn't even think of that, nice. I've got one now for my DECA net->Internet connection so it make sense. Just picked up one off ebay to give it a go, thanks!

KD

XBL: kdawg5
kdelande is offline   Reply With Quote