TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
pjw73nh

Any news on the Comcast "On demand" front?

Not to open up a festering wound because I don't usually use On Demand, but my kids were home for the holidays and wanted to view it. I have read many of the posts that mention that Comcast offers On Demand for retail TiVos. I got both of mine at Best Buy via the Comcast sales folks there. So I called Comcast. They said tune to channel 1. I did. "Problem with the cable signal on this channel. Trying again." They sent a reset and that did nothing. After 10 mins of hold time, the rep came back on the line and said she checked with someone higher than her:

Regardless of whether my Premiere XL has a Comcast M card or not, I am unable to receive Comcast On-Demand programming. She said I need to buy a *Comcast* TiVo and associated M card and THEN I will have access to On Demand.

Does this make sense or am I getting jerked around? I am in New England.

Thanks.
pjw73nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

Comcast is working on getting on-demand available for tivo users. It is in limited beta testing now.

I believe that you CAN call comcast for some pay content - that will be available on the pay content channel (I believe this is for special events, like boxing, but may include other items as well).

At one time there was a comcast box with tivo software, but that has died a slow death.

M cards have nothing to do with VOD. What posts are you referring to?
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:32 AM   #3
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjw73nh View Post
Not to open up a festering wound because I don't usually use On Demand, but my kids were home for the holidays and wanted to view it. I have read many of the posts that mention that Comcast offers On Demand for retail TiVos. I got both of mine at Best Buy via the Comcast sales folks there. So I called Comcast. They said tune to channel 1. I did. "Problem with the cable signal on this channel. Trying again." They sent a reset and that did nothing. After 10 mins of hold time, the rep came back on the line and said she checked with someone higher than her:

Regardless of whether my Premiere XL has a Comcast M card or not, I am unable to receive Comcast On-Demand programming. She said I need to buy a *Comcast* TiVo and associated M card and THEN I will have access to On Demand.

Does this make sense or am I getting jerked around? I am in New England.

Thanks.

Just to put things in perspective. Tivo and Comcast announce their very first partnership in 2005. They didn't release a product until 2008. They only released it in New England and they have since killed it. There are some units still floating around out there. You may be able to call and get one. It's a Motorola Box running watered down Tivo software. It has OnDemand but no other networking capabilities (Netflix, etc)
Old 12-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

LOL, it will show up on the Xbox360 before Tivo gets it, and they had just announced that partnership a few months ago.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
hv9200

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
Just to put things in perspective. Tivo and Comcast announce their very first partnership in 2005. They didn't release a product until 2008. They only released it in New England and they have since killed it. There are some units still floating around out there. You may be able to call and get one. It's a Motorola Box running watered down Tivo software. It has OnDemand but no other networking capabilities (Netflix, etc)
I happen to own one of these watered down Tivo comcast boxes...they are horrible. The UI is almost unusable. It crashes daily
hv9200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hv9200 View Post
I happen to own one of these watered down Tivo comcast boxes...they are horrible. The UI is almost unusable. It crashes daily
Does it say "Tivo Premiere" on the box?

Sorry, I just had to....
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:22 PM   #7
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hv9200 View Post
I used to have one but switched to Verizon. My mom still has one and she loves hers. She insists in having OnDemand so getting a real TiVo is not an option right now.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #8
jfh3

To answer the OP's question -

No, Comcast VOD is not yet available on retail Premieres. What you have probably read elsewhere relates to the new service Comcast is testing, which is expected to roll out in limited markets sometime in 1Q and by the rest of the year nationally. That will allow you to get Comcast VOD on the Premiere XL you have now, as long as you have a CableCARD.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
Haselmaier

I spoke with Comcast about 20 mins ago (about my cablecard issue) and the tech said kind of in passing "In about a month we'll have a much better solution for you Tivo folks. I haven't been trained on it - otherwise I'd be able to do some more stuff for you." He mentioned OnDemand, but the implication (in my opinion) was better support/help in trying to work out issues that are on that Tivo/Comcast border.

Jim
Haselmaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #10
Innerloop

Is there a place to get more info on this "1Q" Comcast OnDemand solution? From your post, it sounds like its being driven from the Comcast side, so do you have a link to any announcement or information about it?

This is literally like my last wish-list for Tivo (having now received the HD Guide update this weekend!)

Which are the test markets? Where do I sign up?
Innerloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #11
rbro

I spoke with Tivo about a week ago, trying to deactivate my old HD (i recently bought a premiere) and they convinced me to hang on until March (no charge) at which time they virtually promised me Comcast VOD would be available on the premiere. If that truly is the case, then I'll upgrade the HD to another premiere and use it in our bedroom......
rbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #12
Thunderclap

I just spoke with a rep today when I called to cancel my TiVo HD (I upgraded to Premiere). I told him the rumors of Comcast On Demand coming to TiVo was a big reason for my upgrade to Premiere and he said that they had just received word that the Comcast On Demand beta was extremely successful and was expanding to several more markets (I remember Oregon and Washington). He also said if that continued to be successful that a nationwide roll out should happen in about 6 months. So, if true, we should have Comcast On Demand by summer.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #13
gpreston24

This is all great news. We bought our first Tivo this month, Premiere Elite--and my wife has been complaining about lack of VOD with Comcast. She loves the Tivo, but still misses the VOD. Hoping to get it sooner rather than later!
gpreston24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #14
Innerloop

Does anyone know how to get into the Beta if you're in the right market? Is it being run by Tivo, or by Comcast?
Old 01-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #15
dalmeida

This sounds great. I'll be able to get rid of my Comcast rental HD box I keep above the TiVo just to get the VOD. I'll bet their implementation on Xbox Live shows up first. Either way I'm gonna lose that extra box.
dalmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #16
SamuriHL

I'm also looking forward to VOD being on the TiVo boxes. That is one feature I miss about the Comcast TiVo box. When I got my Elite a couple months ago, my son inherited the last Comcast TiVo box we had in the house so he's the only one with VOD at this point. This will rock.
SamuriHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #17
Innerloop

I hope they implement the Comcast library fully, and not just take all the paid rentals from OnDemand and put them into a Amazon Instant Video-like shopping list.

Also curious to find out if they'll stream it or download it, and whether it will actually use the Coax, or just use my internet like Netflix.

I'm guessing that it take the easy route and just stream content over the internet once I've established that I have a Comcast account, like the XFinity iPad app.

Still, that's better than nothing! Much prefer to view this stuff on the TV instead of iPad.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #18
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

It can't use Comcast's native OnDemand because Tivos don't have cable's two-way comms, so it will be streamed over the net. Xbox etc. are no different for cable VOD.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:13 PM   #19
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innerloop View Post
I hope they implement the Comcast library fully, and not just take all the paid rentals from OnDemand and put them into a Amazon Instant Video-like shopping list.

Also curious to find out if they'll stream it or download it, and whether it will actually use the Coax, or just use my internet like Netflix.

I'm guessing that it take the easy route and just stream content over the internet once I've established that I have a Comcast account, like the XFinity iPad app.

Still, that's better than nothing! Much prefer to view this stuff on the TV instead of iPad.
My research indicates it will be a "full" integration with Comcast's back-end VOD servers so all VOD content will be made available to TiVo retail units (i.e., not just paid content). This essentially would be equivalent to the VOD that RCN, Suddenlink and Charter provide to TiVo users but with the added benefit of OTT services like Netflix and Amazon.

I also think you will need to have your TiVo in a Comcast location so a Comcast account in another geographic location will not be able to access the Xfinity On Demand library.

I have some feelers out trying to confirm the above statements.

One example of my research is from MCN,

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...en_VOD_Tap.php

Quote:
Now, instead, Comcast has agreed to provide access to Xfinity TV On Demand content, with more than 25,000 titles in 80% of its footprint, on TiVo Premiere set-tops in "many of its largest markets." The first is expected to be the San Francisco Bay Area, but the companies didn't announce expected timing of the rollout.

sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:02 AM   #20
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
It can't use Comcast's native OnDemand because Tivos don't have cable's two-way comms, so it will be streamed over the net. Xbox etc. are no different for cable VOD.
The mechanism many people think it will use is to send the uplink control information over the Internet, and send the video downstream over the usual mechanism, using temporary cablecard authorizations kind of like pay-per-view. It's not clear if it will require that you have Comcast as your Internet provider, so the traffic never leaves their network. With VPN connections, there really isn't any security reason to allow another ISP, but maybe they worry about network delays that they cannot control.

Last edited by CharlesH : 01-31-2012 at 12:08 AM.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:46 PM   #21
arizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpreston24 View Post
This is all great news. We bought our first Tivo this month, Premiere Elite--and my wife has been complaining about lack of VOD with Comcast. She loves the Tivo, but still misses the VOD. Hoping to get it sooner rather than later!

Hopefully this will lead to other cable providers to do the same. I mean, nothing wrong with more revenue, right?

Cox, what say you?

--Arizon

2 TPXLs w/ Lifetime On Cox Tucson:
#1: (20.2) [Hard wired] w/ 1 TB WD DVR Expander + SA CC ($2/month) + Cisco TA ($0)
#2: (20.2) [Tivo Wireless N @ 5 GHz] + SA CC ($2/month) + Cisco TA ($0)
arizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #22
Innerloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
The mechanism many people think it will use is to send the uplink control information over the Internet, and send the video downstream over the usual mechanism, using temporary cablecard authorizations kind of like pay-per-view. It's not clear if it will require that you have Comcast as your Internet provider, so the traffic never leaves their network. With VPN connections, there really isn't any security reason to allow another ISP, but maybe they worry about network delays that they cannot control.
I'm fine with that if it works, but if the playback controls are as laggy as with "Real" On-Demand, I'd probably wish for something more like Netflix.

I only really want to be sure that the entire library is offered and not a sub-set (pay-only), and ideally organized in roughly the same way. Not that I LOVE their organization or anything, but it could be made a lot worse as an Amazon-style flat lists or something. So I'd take the devil I know in that instance.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #23
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innerloop View Post
I'm fine with that if it works, but if the playback controls are as laggy as with "Real" On-Demand, I'd probably wish for something more like Netflix.

I only really want to be sure that the entire library is offered and not a sub-set (pay-only), and ideally organized in roughly the same way. Not that I LOVE their organization or anything, but it could be made a lot worse as an Amazon-style flat lists or something. So I'd take the devil I know in that instance.
I know this is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison but the Motrorola DVR running Tivo software integrates OnDemand pretty nicely into the Tivo software. The whole thing has a Tivo UI and feels like Tivo.

It's nothing like the Hulu app. It's completely "Tivofied". I can't imagine why they wouldn't do the same on the Premieres.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #24
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Great news. Hope it's true. If it makes it's way to PPV's then I too will be able to get rid of my one Comcast DVR.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #25
Raver

Be nice if this was to happen for Wavecable too.

Theodore Roosevelt
Raver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:24 AM   #26
sideshot

Comcast On Demand TiVo Integration Weeks Away

Comcast’s long standing relationship with TiVo is nearly ready to bear fruit in the form of On Demand integration. Joint customers of the companies will receive Xfinity On Demand access via retail TiVo Premiere DVR hardware. During TiVo’s quarterly call, CEO Tom Rogers indicated field trials are underway and that public deployment to the San Francisco Bay Area “is weeks not months away.”

This collaboration looks quite different than their initial partnership, which resulted in TiVo software running on Motorola hardware to be marketed and deployed by Comcast. Unfortunately, the product wasn’t well received and was never deployed further than New England. If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again? Rogers:

We started down one path and from a technical point of view completed it successfully, and they had difficulty rolling it out from an operational point of view. But we got back together and said, what would be a way that gets a product out that does not have those kind of operational difficulties

Indeed, the new solution is operationally distinct and something Rogers characterizes as a “hybrid” approach… As Comcast will be marketing and installing TiVo DVR hardware procured by customers through retail channels such as Best Buy. Additionally, existing TiVo Premiere units in lit up Comcast regions will receive access to Xfinity On Demand. On Demand will include both freely available content, as licensed by Comcast, and pay per view — all accessed in a dedicated Xfinity area (displayed below) and also available through TiVo’s universal search functionality. And, due to studio release windows, Comcast will actually offer new movies ahead of say Amazon’s competing VOD solution.
Technically, elements of of TiVo Xfinity On Demand communication are handled via an “IP back channel” — and presumably routed over the Internet versus Comcast’s dedicated video link. Incidentally, or perhaps ironically, this is exactly the sort of two-way solution TiVo and other Consumer Electronics manufacturers have proposed to further open up cable networks to retail hardware… without requiring a business relationship of this nature. Regardless, TiVo owners with Comcast service are about to receive a significant upgrade – starting in San Francisco and expanding to additional markets later this year.
sideshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:54 AM   #27
SamuriHL

Very nice. Definitely looking forward to it. As one of those in the New England region that has a motorola box with TiVo on it, I can honestly say they weren't all that great. I upgraded to an Elite and a Premiere and gave the moto box to my son.
SamuriHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #28
Innerloop

Hmm.. I did notice a lot of XFinity folks at Best Buy the other day, but I didn't realize they were there pimping Tivo. Interesting. But no one has contacted me to start my OnDemand trial yet, WTF?
Old 02-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #29
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Well I'm right here in Cupertino. Can't get this fast enough to suit me. I'm hoping when they say "PPV" that they are talking about Sporting Events such as the UFC PPV's. THAT would be awesome. The only problem with it is that the TiVo boxes delete PPV's almost immediately after download... while Comcast Boxes don't... So while it's a step in the right direction, it still sucks.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #30
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideshot View Post

Indeed, the new solution is operationally distinct and something Rogers characterizes as a “hybrid” approach… As Comcast will be marketing and installing TiVo DVR hardware procured by customers through retail channels such as Best Buy.
Does this mean boxes will not be available from Comcast?

I was under the impression customers were going to be able to lease Premieres through Comcast.