TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
Boardwalk Empire S03E01 OAD 09/16/12

What? No thread?

Great episode. I was hoping to get to see the blow-up between Nucky and Margaret, but alas. There was the great zinger at the party, though.

I loved Van Alden's (whatever his name is now) scene in the florist shop; it was great how they made it look like he was in on it the whole time, but instead, Van Alden was really just doing a "wait, what?"

Lots of new story arcs, should make for a great season. I predict more "action" between Margaret and the Irish kid (NTTAWWT), and who knows what havoc Gillian is going to wreak. That woman is evil, on several levels.

Brad
bsnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
pmyers

From what I read this episode takes place about 1 1/2 years after the last season. Is that correct?
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
goblue97
Hoke-amania

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
From what I read this episode takes place about 1 1/2 years after the last season. Is that correct?
I was trying to figure that out but I couldn't remember what year/month it was when the last episode was set. I thought the baby being held by Van Alden's significant other was a clue but I guess that was a new baby.
goblue97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue97 View Post
I was trying to figure that out but I couldn't remember what year/month it was when the last episode was set. I thought the baby being held by Van Alden's significant other was a clue but I guess that was a new baby.
Wasn't his significant other the nanny he hired? If so why did she decide to stick with him or did she really marry him. There didn't seem to be too many details about their relationship.

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Quote:
I think so, Season 1 was set in 1920, season 2 set in 1921, the last episode was late 21 -- early 22 (The Jack Dempsey --Georges Carpentier fight was in July of '21, and that was episode 9). This episode takes place around New Years 1923, so pretty much all of '22 has passed by.
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I'm glad Nucky has relegated his wife to a ceremonial role. Can't stand her.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #7
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Good episode, but the last 5-10 minutes made it great.

Wondering what is going on with the guy with the war wound that wears half a mask. Is he after Nucky and his men for killing his buddy? Is that why he shot that dude in the face at the end? Is he just in on things for some other guy that will be revealed later?
Old 09-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #8
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
Good episode, but the last 5-10 minutes made it great.

Wondering what is going on with the guy with the war wound that wears half a mask. Is he after Nucky and his men for killing his buddy? Is that why he shot that dude in the face at the end? Is he just in on things for some other guy that will be revealed later?
You missed the plot thread on that. Harrow was pining for Angela, the real Mom, Jimmy's wife, who painted him. Gillian told Harrow that they needed to put Angela and all of the bad times behind, and creepily she's their son she's "new Momma." Killing Manny for shooting Angela brought closure on that.

We can expect that Harrow will be going after Nucky for killing Jimmy. Remember when Jimmy and Harrow vowed to each that they were soldier buddies until the end. "I got your back."

Spoiler:
There's scene in the previews were Harrow is in sitting in the shadows at the back of a room when the lights go on, ala Chili Palmer. That is probably at Nucky's.

Also note that Gillian was signing checks as "James Darmody." She's running the brothel in Commodore's estate as if Jimmy was still alive.

Bobby Carnaval got really mean as Gyp. He was a sweetheart in The Station Agent. He's meaner than Joey Zaza now.

I wouldn't be too afraid of Arnold Rothstein.

Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
Family

Following up on the end of last season; they kill one of the last few characters I like. Now it looks like Richard will likely meet the same fate later this season. The show is trying to be Sopranos 2.0 which burned itself out because everyone interesting was knocked off.

At least Al & Rothstein need to stay.
Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #10
VegasVic
Craps Player

I can understand Richard revenging James and Angelas deaths but I'm surprised it would take him a year and a half to start doing it.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #11
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
I can understand Richard revenging James and Angelas deaths but I'm surprised it would take him a year and a half to start doing it.
I think Mommy Dearest shutting down his attempts to help Tommy connect to his mother is what triggered him...
Old 09-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #12
VegasVic
Craps Player

I agree with that as a trigger. But I guess I'm still surprised he wouldn't have wanted revenge before that.

I love this show. And Meg Steedle
Old 09-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #13
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
We can expect that Harrow will be going after Nucky for killing Jimmy. Remember when Jimmy and Harrow vowed to each that they were soldier buddies until the end. "I got your back."

Spoiler:
There's scene in the previews were Harrow is in sitting in the shadows at the back of a room when the lights go on, ala Chili Palmer. That is probably at Nucky's.

Also note that Gillian was signing checks as "James Darmody." She's running the brothel in Commodore's estate as if Jimmy was still alive.
I don't know, Jimmy went after Nucky first, and at the end after it had all fallen apart Jimmy knew he lost and that he was a dead man, he went by himself so Richard wouldn't die. However Richard is caught up in this drama now, and all the key players know him so eventually he'll come back into play. Maybe even for Nucky.

I didn't catch the checks and her forging his signature, good eye.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #14
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Quote:
You missed the plot thread on that. Harrow was pining for Angela, the real Mom, Jimmy's wife, who painted him. Gillian told Harrow that they needed to put Angela and all of the bad times behind, and creepily she's their son she's "new Momma." Killing Manny for shooting Angela brought closure on that.

I remembered Jimmy's wife and her lady friend getting killed. I forgot who killed her. That would explain why he'd go after him. It is weird he'd wait so long to do it. No matter what the trigger was.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #15
Ereth

I'm confused. My Dish DVR doesn't show a new episode. I have a marathon on 9/21 and 9/22 but no new episodes. Are there other new episodes I'm missing?

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #16
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
I remembered Jimmy's wife and her lady friend getting killed. I forgot who killed her. That would explain why he'd go after him. It is weird he'd wait so long to do it. No matter what the trigger was.
The question is why Manny, who had his own thriving business in Philly, would join Nucky's crew as just hired muscle, and then ask to carve out some turf for a business at the end.

How about G-Man Van Alden going to be a gangster for O'Banion? That's not the winning side to go with. O'Banion will buy it from Al Capone's gang in that very flower shop a few years. In 1929 Al wipes out the rest of the Irish gang in the St. Valentine's Day Massacre.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:13 AM   #17
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

We don't want a history lesson. You could at least spoiler that stuff.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:40 AM   #18
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
I'm confused. My Dish DVR doesn't show a new episode. I have a marathon on 9/21 and 9/22 but no new episodes. Are there other new episodes I'm missing?
You just missed 1 episode so far.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #19
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
You just missed 1 episode so far.
I checked and I have a "Season Pass" set up for it. I wonder why it didn't record. Thank goodness there's HBO Go.

Thanks!

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #20
pmyers

Quote:
The question is why Manny, who had his own thriving business in Philly, would join Nucky's crew as just hired muscle, and then ask to carve out some turf for a business at the end....
IIRC Wasn't Nucky protecting Manny and hiding him from somebody who wanted to kill him. I remember last season Nucky finding him held up some where and instead of killing him or turning him over, he made a deal with him.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #21
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

I don't think Richard liked Manny's new hat.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #22
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
IIRC Wasn't Nucky protecting Manny and hiding him from somebody who wanted to kill him. I remember last season Nucky finding him held up some where and instead of killing him or turning him over, he made a deal with him.
In the last episode of last year, Nucky used Manny as bait to draw out James. He called James and told him he had Manny and he should come to finish him. Then James shows up and Manny is "tied up" only he wasn't really and then James was killed. So Manny was an ally of Nucky but James and his gang wanted to kill him.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #23
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
In the last episode of last year, Nucky used Manny as bait to draw out James. He called James and told him he had Manny and he should come to finish him. Then James shows up and Manny is "tied up" only he wasn't really and then James was killed. So Manny was an ally of Nucky but James and his gang wanted to kill him.
ok right....so Manny basically owes Nucky so it makes sense why he was a lacky and now wants more.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #24
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

There was a real 1920's Egyptian Revival frenzy craze of everything Egypt when Carter found King Tut's tomb.

There were many chairs sold that were copies of the chairs in the tomb, including the throne. You can still find those as antiques.

https://www.google.com/search?q=egyp...w=1334&bih=975
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/...-tut-arm-chair
UVerse and OTA

Old 09-24-2012, 07:31 AM   #25
newsposter
Poster of News

24 irons, i think he should have gone off the deep end and clocked that guy with an iron. i dont know if walmart even sells 24 irons in a day! going from a job where people listen to you to a job where it's 99 percent rejection must suck.

does nuck live with wifey anymore or was he just out for the evening?

and i do think he was wrong and that wife SHOULD bully people..it's what he does for a living...just jealous someone else has power now too and loved when she donated that land. heck it's a nice tax write off! he can shelter all his income legally now

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #26
Jonathan_S

Quote:
There was a real 1920's Egyptian Revival frenzy craze of everything Egypt when Carter found King Tut's tomb.

There were many chairs sold that were copies of the chairs in the tomb, including the throne. You can still find those as antiques.

https://www.google.com/search?q=egyp...w=1334&bih=975
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/...-tut-arm-chair
When I double-checked the date of discovery I got a better appreciation of both why New Years went Egyptian themed and also the comments about how impressive it was that Mrs. Tompson was able to get it all organized.

King Tut's tomb was uncovered November 4, 1922. So not quite two months max to design, plan, and pull off what appeared to be a very complex New Year's Society Party theme from a standing start.