TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-15-2009, 11:49 AM   #1
jones07
eff.org warrior

Cool Flip this house:Armando to the Rescue(August 15)

First new ep that I seen in a long time

Tom and Deb are a mess. They are the poster children for living above your means. It's hard to feel sorry for them.

I know a lot of people dislike Armando, but I think he did his best to help
Tom and Deb the owners/flippers.

Good episode for our times

Episode synopsis:

For the last ten years, Armando Montelongo has been flipping houses in San Antonio, Texas, and building a real estate empire. Now, with the real estate market tanking, Armando has turned his attention to helping homeowners in trouble. He believes when it comes to money most people create their own bad luck. It's Armando's mission to set investor-wannabes straight and tackle one real estate nightmare at a time. In this episode, Armando travels to San Clemente, California, to help Tom and Deb Finnegan. Their renovation project has spiraled out of control: a 3,000-square-foot Spanish Renaissance dream house has become a house of horrors. A series of unfortunate events, including the death of their contractor, left the Finnigans penniless. Armando first must push Tom and Deb to end their cycle of self-destruction and follow his advice or face complete financial ruin.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

You gotta be kidding. How did he avoid jail?

Discovery has not only jumped the shark with reality TV, they went into orbit.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 08-17-2009 at 05:23 PM.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
Snappa77
RUDEBWOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
How did Armando avoid jail?
What happened?
2 R10's- GONE
2 COMCAST HD TiVo DVR's. SofaKing slow.
Snappa77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
wendiness1
WiiMomma

Armando advising other people? Huh? Are they nuts?
Old 08-15-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Really good episode. That couple was just nuts when it came to having their feet on the ground and living within their means once he lost his job. I had to just shake my head at the wife. She seemed to be so emotionally invested in the house and the smooth stucco (which was really nice, btw), and the husband didn't have the cojones to just say 'no' to her fantasies. Of course, he wasn't much better! He seemed to be doing it all just to please her. One of them needed to wake up and smell the financial coffee, but in the end it was too late when they both finally did. They truly deserved their fate.
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
jones07
eff.org warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappa77 View Post
What happened?
Business deals gone bad, nothing more then that.

Nothing personal...........it's business
Old 08-15-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
MikeMar
Go Pats

This guy drives me NUTS, I refuse to let Maggie watch it if I'm in the room, any other flipping show fine.

Armando I just want to punch anytime he does anything

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:00 PM   #8
jones07
eff.org warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo'Brien View Post
Really good episode. That couple was just nuts when it came to having their feet on the ground and living within their means once he lost his job. .
When you have to pawn your jewelry to make a mortgage payment you have hit rock bottom.

And didn't they look really old to have kids that age?

Or maybe it's all the stress from their debt that made them look 30 years older

Last edited by jones07 : 08-15-2009 at 01:08 PM.
jones07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:11 PM   #9
Snappa77
RUDEBWOY

I expected a somewhat happy ending but that was a disaster. It was so sad and depressing kinda. Felt sorry for the kids.

I know alot of ppl dislike Armando but besides Richard and the Trademark team from S.Carolina all the other teams are boring. The ex-football guy being the worst.
I don't mind Rudy's team from Cali so much. Atlanta is meh. (both versions).

Armando is actually entertaining.

So is this the new format? Helping horrible flippers?
2 R10's- GONE
Old 08-15-2009, 02:53 PM   #10
jones07
eff.org warrior

Oh I can't stand the ex-jock and his frat boy team. When I see it's one of their eps I just FF past most of it.

Helping horrible flippers is a nice new twist I think. The old format was, well getting old
Old 08-15-2009, 03:26 PM   #11
appleye1

I love it when Armando is on. The more drama the better with this show, andf Armando brings the drama. He also brings that uber-hawt wife of his. I could watch her flip all day.

I Cut The Cord! 02/11 (OTA Hulu+ Netflix)
TiVo user since 12/99
Yamms:

appleye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:36 PM   #12
UberPoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo'Brien View Post
Really good episode. That couple was just nuts when it came to having their feet on the ground and living within their means once he lost his job. I had to just shake my head at the wife. She seemed to be so emotionally invested in the house and the smooth stucco (which was really nice, btw), and the husband didn't have the cojones to just say 'no' to her fantasies. Of course, he wasn't much better! He seemed to be doing it all just to please her. One of them needed to wake up and smell the financial coffee, but in the end it was too late when they both finally did. They truly deserved their fate.
You only need to know that the couple spent 2 years and hundred of thousands of dollars of their own money BEFORE Armando came along. And by the way hindsight is .... This happened at the apex of the economic collapse. They were unaware (like everyone else) what was to follow.
UberPoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:38 PM   #13
UberPoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones07 View Post
First new ep that I seen in a long time

Tom and Deb are a mess. They are the poster children for living above your means. It's hard to feel sorry for them.

I know a lot of people dislike Armando, but I think he did his best to help
Tom and Deb the owners/flippers.

Good episode for our times

Episode synopsis:

For the last ten years, Armando Montelongo has been flipping houses in San Antonio, Texas, and building a real estate empire. Now, with the real estate market tanking, Armando has turned his attention to helping homeowners in trouble. He believes when it comes to money most people create their own bad luck. It's Armando's mission to set investor-wannabes straight and tackle one real estate nightmare at a time. In this episode, Armando travels to San Clemente, California, to help Tom and Deb Finnegan. Their renovation project has spiraled out of control: a 3,000-square-foot Spanish Renaissance dream house has become a house of horrors. A series of unfortunate events, including the death of their contractor, left the Finnigans penniless. Armando first must push Tom and Deb to end their cycle of self-destruction and follow his advice or face complete financial ruin.
Armando did nothing - I speak from personally knowing the situation.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:25 PM   #14
UberPoster

I saw the show as Tom and Deb just trying to gracefully get out of a project that went bad. They were not trying to flip a house, they were investing in a house that was to be the place where they put down roots. Obviously the house held value in this economy even with no job? A second mortgage holder was willing to give them a loan under these economic conditions. That would be enough to go on to finish the house. They were not living beyond their means, how else could they fund what was to be a modest remodel. They were racing a sinking economy, and I imagine there are more people out there that had a lot less going for them.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:45 PM   #15
jones07
eff.org warrior

So you know Tom an Deb personally?

I would not say Armando did nothing, he did help in getting the bank to forgive over half of the 2nd mortgage.........did he not?

btw: I wouldn't call that a modest remodel. But "modest" is in the eye of the beholder I guess.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:38 PM   #16
UberPoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones07 View Post
So you know Tom an Deb personally?

I would not say Armando did nothing, he did help in getting the bank to forgive over half of the 2nd mortgage.........did he not?

btw: I wouldn't call that a modest remodel. But "modest" is in the eye of the beholder I guess.
Yes, I know Tom. I guess Armando considers a phone call to a mortgage company as him coming to the rescue. All the real work, including coming up with a construction loan in the middle of a sinking housing market, and managing the construction was left up to the Finnigan's. I can't remembver a Flip episode where Armando is involved where he is so UNINVOLVED.
The remodel was two years in the making BEFORE Armando came along. It began modestly, but spun out of control due to deaths and contractor incompetence. The Finnigan's always attempted to keep it modest. Circumstances outside of their control changed that. So... they did everything they could think of to get out of it. None of this was shown on TV. Seems they have been set up to revive Armando's sinking career.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:43 PM   #17
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

They didn't make it look like Tom was trying to find a job. And now he's writing a book? Who wants to read that?

This episode confused me. I didn't dislike the couple, but must have missed the first part that explained how they got into this mess. Of course I'm the type that doesn't buy a car or start a remodel until I can pay for it in cash...
uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:08 AM   #18
UberPoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncdrew View Post
They didn't make it look like Tom was trying to find a job. And now he's writing a book? Who wants to read that?

This episode confused me. I didn't dislike the couple, but must have missed the first part that explained how they got into this mess. Of course I'm the type that doesn't buy a car or start a remodel until I can pay for it in cash...
They can make it "look like" anything they want. Tom was filmed looking for work, they just chose not to show it. They also chose not to show Tom suffering a stroke, which severely impacted the family, and Tom. Knowing Tom personally, I can tell you he was between a rock and a hard place. No one was hiring, and taking on menial labor would not have paid for their food, let alone finishing the remodel. Even now the family is struggling to survive, and Tom is washing dishes in an area of southern california where cost of living is different than San Clemente. As for starting a remodel, the money was there, it just spun out of control when the contractor's before Armando botched the remodel. The remodel occured during good times when everyone had no idea what was around the corner. Of course, this was dismissed by the TV show in one sentence, as bad luck. You should be confused since the story told by the producer's is inaccurate, incomplete, and spun to make it "look like" they want it to. Welcome to reality TV. The sad thing is the Finnigan's are a nice family who deserved better story coverage.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:44 AM   #19
jones07
eff.org warrior

Thank you for your input and sharing a different view then the show did.

I wish the Finnigan's better times in the future.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:43 AM   #20
Honest Injun

I saw this episode as well and was dumbfounded at the entirety of the situation. I am no fan of Armando's. He has no ethics (remember the roach house he wanted to "paint over"?), has left a trail of unpaid bills across Texas (see wwwDOTflipthislawsuitDOTcom), and even his own family distances themselves from him (see wwwDOTmontelongo-remodelingDOTcom scroll down on home page).

That being said, his deceit and slimyness is trumped in this episode only by the Finnegan's idiocy. I can only hope that the show "played up" the stupidity of these people else I feel bad for the kids that may have inherited the same IQ as the parents.

UberPoster claims to know Tom Finnigan - It wouldnt surpirise me if he IS Tom Finnigan. New user account, some knowledge of the situation, his unqualified support for the Finnegan's, and posting at 1:00 am in the morning on that computer in the trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberPoster View Post
They were unaware (like everyone else) what was to follow.
No, everyone else wasnt unaware. The majority of people didnt buy houses they couldnt afford with huge mortgages in high cost-of-living neighborhoods. Anyone with half a brain could see this was a formula for disaster right from the get-go. Everyone except for the Finnigans who felt they were entitled to their dream house but never could afford it. The majority of Americans know its stupid to buy a house you cannot afford and have no sympathy for those who did so during the housing boom.

Quote:
I guess Armando considers a phone call to a mortgage company as him coming to the rescue.
This quote says alot about the Finnigan's. Not only are they innefective, imbecilic, and now insolvent, but they are also ingrates. Armando's phone call saved them more than $150k and was more than Tom was willing / able to do. The wife was right when she said her husband should step up to the plate and get a job.

Quote:
All the real work, including ... managing the construction was left up to the Finnigan's.
Not true again. The construction management was left up to Oz, and the Finnigans' incompetence nearly screwed that up too. Couldnt even get the doors to the house on time. Tom was busy doing what, sittiing on the couch?

Quote:
... but spun out of control due to deaths and contractor incompetence.
Not at all, it spun out of control solely due to Finnigan incompetence. Had the Finnigan's ever heard of an escrow account or not paying a contractor until comperable amounts of work were completed? Not to mention the Finnigan's insistence on nothing but the best for "their dream house". The Finnigan's exemplify entitlement mentality at its best. No money but deserving of the best. Yeah, the rest of America feels for you.

Quote:
and taking on menial labor would not have paid for their food
UberPoster, if your not Tom Finnigan, your certainly an enabler for him. This statement is just dumb. How much does a loaf of bread and pack of bologna cost? I know its not the surf-and-turf the Finnigans are accustomed too (or feel they are entitled too) but groceries can certainly be paid for with a menial labor job. And people are working menial labor jobs all across the country to provide for their families every day. Your statement smacks of elitism and again shows the Finnigan entitlement mentality.

UberPoster, your messages have made me lose any sympathy I may have had for the Finnigan's. Now I view them with only the contempt and scorn they deserve.

Last edited by Honest Injun : 08-16-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Honest Injun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:27 AM   #21
UberPoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Injun View Post
I saw this episode as well and was dumbfounded at the entirety of the situation. I am no fan of Armando's. He has no ethics (remember the roach house he wanted to "paint over"?), has left a trail of unpaid bills across Texas (see wwwDOTflipthislawsuitDOTcom), and even his own family distances themselves from him (see wwwDOTmontelongo-remodelingDOTcom scroll down on home page).

That being said, his deceit and slimyness is trumped in this episode only by the Finnegan's idiocy. I can only hope that the show "played up" the stupidity of these people else I feel bad for the kids that may have inherited the same IQ as the parents.

UberPoster claims to know Tom Finnigan - It wouldnt surpirise me if he IS Tom Finnigan. New user account, some knowledge of the situation, his unqualified support for the Finnegan's, and posting at 1:00 am in the morning on that computer in the trailer.

No, everyone else wasnt unaware. The majority of people didnt buy houses they couldnt afford with huge mortgages in high cost-of-living neighborhoods. Anyone with half a brain could see this was a formula for disaster right from the get-go. Everyone except for the Finnigans who felt they were entitled to their dream house but never could afford it. The majority of Americans know its stupid to buy a house you cannot afford and have no sympathy for those who did so during the housing boom.

This quote says alot about the Finnigan's. Not only are they innefective, imbecilic, and now insolvent, but they are also ingrates. Armando's phone call saved them more than $150k and was more than Tom was willing / able to do. The wife was right when she said her husband should step up to the plate and get a job.

Not true again. The construction management was left up to Oz, and the Finnigans' incompetence nearly screwed that up too. Couldnt even get the doors to the house on time. Tom was busy doing what, sittiing on the couch?

Not at all, it spun out of control solely due to Finnigan incompetence. Had the Finnigan's ever heard of an escrow account or not paying a contractor until comperable amounts of work were completed? Not to mention the Finnigan's insistence on nothing but the best for "their dream house". The Finnigan's exemplify entitlement mentality at its best. No money but deserving of the best. Yeah, the rest of America feels for you.

UberPoster, if your not Tom Finnigan, your certainly an enabler for him. This statement is just dumb. How much does a loaf of bread and pack of bologna cost? I know its not the surf-and-turf the Finnigans are accustomed too (or feel they are entitled too) but groceries can certainly be paid for with a menial labor job. And people are working menial labor jobs all across the country to provide for their families every day. Your statement smacks of elitism and again shows the Finnigan entitlement mentality.

UberPoster, your messages have made me lose any sympathy I may have had for the Finnigan's. Now I view them with only the contempt and scorn they deserve.
Certainly entitled to your opinion. I do not agree with most of it. Much of what you comment about Armando has nothing to do with the show, or the Finnigan's. The Finnigan's do not have anything to do with his prior or present reputation, bringing it into your discussion of them is a distortion of the truth.

Postulating as to who I am also serves no purpose. However, kudos on the amateur detective work (new poster, etc).

Lastly, the balance of your comments center on what YOU THINK the Finnigan's are like, and whether they require sympathy. It matters not that your preception is wrong. The irony to me is that in our society, Jon and Kate receive accolades for being wonderful people while behind the scenes they tear each other apart and damage the psyches of their innocent children. The Finnigan's, have garbage thrown on them, by a public that slanders a good family who only wanted to provide a nice loving home for their kids.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:34 AM   #22
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

Quote:
Wall of Text.
I'm sure there was a point in here somewhere, but I missed it.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:38 AM   #23
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
They can make it "look like" anything they want. Tom was filmed looking for work, they just chose not to show it. They also chose not to show Tom suffering a stroke, which severely impacted the family, and Tom. Knowing Tom personally, I can tell you he was between a rock and a hard place. No one was hiring, and taking on menial labor would not have paid for their food, let alone finishing the remodel. Even now the family is struggling to survive, and Tom is washing dishes in an area of southern california where cost of living is different than San Clemente. As for starting a remodel, the money was there, it just spun out of control when the contractor's before Armando botched the remodel. The remodel occured during good times when everyone had no idea what was around the corner. Of course, this was dismissed by the TV show in one sentence, as bad luck. You should be confused since the story told by the producer's is inaccurate, incomplete, and spun to make it "look like" they want it to. Welcome to reality TV. The sad thing is the Finnigan's are a nice family who deserved better story coverage.
I completely understand, and it's probably the main reason I don't have any desire to be on reality TV.

I'm glad the Finnigan's have friends like you who can see through the editing and share with us. Sucks for them they were made out to be so superficial, helpless and naive.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #24
Snappa77
RUDEBWOY

Sooooo 2 new posters beefing about the show. Seems like Tom vs Armando.
2 R10's- GONE
Old 08-16-2009, 11:21 AM   #25
RonDawg

Quote:
I checked the second website out and all it says is it is not affiliated with the Montelongo's of TV fame. There's no indication the owners of this business are even related, much less publicly disowning them.

As far as the first one, it just looks like a messy, incoherent blog.
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:51 AM   #26
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Yeah, those web sites didn't give me the info/proof I was hoping for.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:13 PM   #27
jones07
eff.org warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappa77 View Post
Sooooo 2 new posters beefing about the show. Seems like Tom vs Armando.

Welll well well hummm
Old 08-16-2009, 12:23 PM   #28
HerFriend

Where is the compassion?

I have never blogged and only came to this web site because of the personal relationship I have with the Finnigans. I can't believe there are actually people out there who would get on-line and comment about people on a tv show. Give me a break. I am only commenting so that there is some sort of "truth" regarding the character of my dear friends.
The Finningans are wonderful people and the show did NOT portray them in a true light. They have never spoken unkindly about anyone involved with the show especially Armando. If Armando was to "Rescue", he certainly failed. The Finnigans never professed to be professional flippers. They were remodeling their home and fell victims to circumstance and the economy. When they began their project they had more than enough CASH to complete it and an income to survive in a nice lifestyle. I know there are people out there who can't understand that some people live well and stay within their means. Oh and by the way, Debra is a garage sale girl. She is not snobby and has always loved finding a treasure on a Saturday morning. I don't think she has paid full price for anything in the 10 years that I have known her. Tom and Deb have worked hard all of their lives to reach their goal/dreams. They are not selfish nor unappreciative. They have always shared what they had and helped those that they could.
Armando came in and was going to save the day. After another $100,000+ was spent under his advisory, the Finnigans still were not able to live in their home. I would have thought that with all of Armando's experience he would have advised them to accomplish the projects first that would allow them to obtain their "occupancy permit" so that they could live in their home and not have to continue to pay for housing and a mortgage on a home they could not live in.
Those of you commenting that you "feel sorry for the kids". I feel sorry for you that you would be so short sighted to make such an ill comment. Tom and Debra are wonderful parents. Their boys have always been put first and will be amazing young men because of the way that their parents have seen their family through this time in their lives. You should be ashamed that you would type a comment like that. As if you would know from your brief look into thier lives from a tv "reality" show. I bet you are one of those people that buys the tabloids at the check out every week and think you are best friends with the stars.
The Finnigans will continue to persevere through this chapter in their lives. They will come out better for it and they will maintain their gentle loving demeanor that makes them the people they are and gives those of us that are fortunate to call them friends the joy of being in thier lives.
We love you Finningans!!!!!!
I won't return to this web site because I have a "real" life to live so comment away. We know the truth!!!
HerFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #29
UberPoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerFriend View Post
I have never blogged and only came to this web site because of the personal relationship I have with the Finnigans. I can't believe there are actually people out there who would get on-line and comment about people on a tv show. Give me a break. I am only commenting so that there is some sort of "truth" regarding the character of my dear friends.
The Finningans are wonderful people and the show did NOT portray them in a true light. They have never spoken unkindly about anyone involved with the show especially Armando. If Armando was to "Rescue", he certainly failed. The Finnigans never professed to be professional flippers. They were remodeling their home and fell victims to circumstance and the economy. When they began their project they had more than enough CASH to complete it and an income to survive in a nice lifestyle. I know there are people out there who can't understand that some people live well and stay within their means. Oh and by the way, Debra is a garage sale girl. She is not snobby and has always loved finding a treasure on a Saturday morning. I don't think she has paid full price for anything in the 10 years that I have known her. Tom and Deb have worked hard all of their lives to reach their goal/dreams. They are not selfish nor unappreciative. They have always shared what they had and helped those that they could.
Armando came in and was going to save the day. After another $100,000+ was spent under his advisory, the Finnigans still were not able to live in their home. I would have thought that with all of Armando's experience he would have advised them to accomplish the projects first that would allow them to obtain their "occupancy permit" so that they could live in their home and not have to continue to pay for housing and a mortgage on a home they could not live in.
Those of you commenting that you "feel sorry for the kids". I feel sorry for you that you would be so short sighted to make such an ill comment. Tom and Debra are wonderful parents. Their boys have always been put first and will be amazing young men because of the way that their parents have seen their family through this time in their lives. You should be ashamed that you would type a comment like that. As if you would know from your brief look into thier lives from a tv "reality" show. I bet you are one of those people that buys the tabloids at the check out every week and think you are best friends with the stars.
The Finnigans will continue to persevere through this chapter in their lives. They will come out better for it and they will maintain their gentle loving demeanor that makes them the people they are and gives those of us that are fortunate to call them friends the joy of being in thier lives.
We love you Finningans!!!!!!
I won't return to this web site because I have a "real" life to live so comment away. We know the truth!!!
Class act - Thanks for the truth. Did the production company that makes Flip This House need to stoop to slander to revive a reality star's career?
Old 08-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #30
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerFriend View Post
I can't believe there are actually people out there who would get on-line and comment about people on a tv show.
Wow, you're really out of touch with America, huh?

Millions of people watch TV. Millions of people use the internet. You can't believe that there's some cross-over there? We're just supposed to watch TV and then not discuss it with friends? Wild.