TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
billypritchard
Embiggener

Show Tracking System?

Okay, I have 'cut the cord' and dropped Directv. I've got a Tivo Premiere, Netflix (and possibly HuluPlus, we'll see). I also might use Amazon to buy shows from time to time. And I could just hook the laptop up to the main tv in order to watch things off network websites (ie Bunheads @ ABC Family).

But what I'm considering is that I will have to pay more attention to when things are on, what network they are on, when they premiere, etc..., as I won't have season passes to just catch stuff for me.

So, is there any software/website that can help me keep track of when shows I'm interested in will be on? A calendar type app? RSS Feed? Anyone use anything?
Old 07-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I have an app on my iPhone called TV Show Tracker. You tell it which shows you want to follow, and it tells you when the episodes are on. You check off an episode when you've seen it, and so you always have an up-to-date list of unwatched episodes of shows you're interested in, and also a list of upcoming episodes that haven't aired yet, sorted by air date.

I used to use an app called Episoder, but TV Show Tracker is 100x better.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
Okay, I have 'cut the cord' and dropped Directv. I've got a Tivo Premiere, Netflix (and possibly HuluPlus, we'll see). I also might use Amazon to buy shows from time to time. And I could just hook the laptop up to the main tv in order to watch things off network websites (ie Bunheads @ ABC Family).

But what I'm considering is that I will have to pay more attention to when things are on, what network they are on, when they premiere, etc..., as I won't have season passes to just catch stuff for me.

So, is there any software/website that can help me keep track of when shows I'm interested in will be on? A calendar type app? RSS Feed? Anyone use anything?
So with all that and the headaches of having to track stuff and hoping you get it recorded, the cost to buy the other services, devices, etc how much $$$ have you actually saved?
Old 07-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfer View Post
So with all that and the headaches of having to track stuff and hoping you get it recorded, the cost to buy the other services, devices, etc how much $$$ have you actually saved?
Plenty!

The majority of what we'll be watching is on network tv and will be recorded on the Premiere. Probably 95%. Netflix will help catch some of that. I'll try a free trial of Hulu to see what it adds, but probably not keep up with it.

Another year of Directv was going to cost me almost $1000 dollars.

I just know that there will be a few things I want to keep track of, and something to do that would be helpful.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfer View Post
I have almost the exact same set-up as the OP and I save at least $80 per month. I pay for Netflix which I did anyway when I had DirecTV and Tivo service costs $10 a month. Most of what I watch is on network TV and Tivo gets that for me. It's really not a headache at all.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I have almost the exact same set-up as the OP and I save at least $80 per month. I pay for Netflix which I did anyway when I had DirecTV and Tivo service costs $10 a month. Most of what I watch is on network TV and Tivo gets that for me. It's really not a headache at all.
Tivo is a much better solution for sure. I couldn't stand not having a simple to use DVR.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I swear this same topic came up in another thread over the past few days, anyone got a link to it?
Old 07-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #8
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Billy, do you have an iPhone? What did you think of my suggestion?
Old 07-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #9
daveak
Series 3 Novice

If it shows up on the TiVo Search, instead of a season pass you just create a WishList for the show and select new episodes only for recording. Works like a charm when you are to far in advance to set a Season Pass. Works great with movies and other stuff as well. Never limit yourself to simply the next 2 weeks of guide information.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #10
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I have an app on my iPhone called TV Show Tracker. You tell it which shows you want to follow, and it tells you when the episodes are on. You check off an episode when you've seen it, and so you always have an up-to-date list of unwatched episodes of shows you're interested in, and also a list of upcoming episodes that haven't aired yet, sorted by air date.

I just downloaded EpTracker to try out, "TV Show Tracker seemed to have way too many bells and whistles I have no interest in, I just want to be able to grab a show history, particularly on procedurals and just click them off so I knwo when I'm not just watching the same ones I did before.

My 2 big shows I'm trying to catch up on are Leverage and The Mentalist
Old 07-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I just downloaded EpTracker to try out, "TV Show Tracker seemed to have way too many bells and whistles I have no interest in, I just want to be able to grab a show history, particularly on procedurals and just click them off so I knwo when I'm not just watching the same ones I did before.
Interesting. I'm not aware of any "bells and whistles" in TV Show Tracker. I just add the shows to my list, and then check off the episodes when I watch them, or look at the list of upcoming episodes.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #12
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:

My 2 big shows I'm trying to catch up on are Leverage and The Mentalist and I frequently lose track of how far behind I am.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #13
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Interesting. I'm not aware of any "bells and whistles" in TV Show Tracker. I just add the shows to my list, and then check off the episodes when I watch them, or look at the list of upcoming episodes.
I looked at the features and screenshots, "TV Show tracker" has alerts, artwork, calendar graphics, etc, Episode Tracker was just checklists and a clean layout, or did I look at the wrong apps?
Old 07-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #14
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Here are some screencaps from TV Show Tracker.

The main screen a tile for each show you choose, and you just swipe left/right to get to the show you want and tap on the box to add a checkmark.

There is a screen to show upcoming episodes from the shows you've selected:

There is a screen to show unwatched episodes of shows you've selected. On this screen, you can also tap in the box to indicate the episode has been watched.

There's not much else other than that. If there are alerts, I wasn't aware of it and don't use them.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #15
billypritchard
Embiggener

I have an iPod Touch, so I downloaded TV Show Tracker to give it a try. Easy to load up shows, so I'll give it a try. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #16
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Here are some screencaps from TV Show Tracker.

The main screen a tile for each show you choose, and you just swipe left/right to get to the show you want and tap on the box to add a checkmark.

There is a screen to show upcoming episodes from the shows you've selected:

There is a screen to show unwatched episodes of shows you've selected. On this screen, you can also tap in the box to indicate the episode has been watched.

There's not much else other than that. If there are alerts, I wasn't aware of it and don't use them.
LOL yup! that's way more bells and whistles than I need

Pretty much was all I wanted, and it drops an export XML to dropbox as a bonus.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/episo...371900001?mt=8
Old 07-18-2012, 08:04 AM   #17
markz
Hilarity Ensues

I have an android app called TV Show Faves that I love. I tell it what shows I follow and it has a daily and upcoming schedule. It also lets you check off each episode as you watch it which is great for when you are watching seasons of a show on netflix or DVD.

See http://tvshowfavs.com/ for more details.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote