TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
Debbie25

Tivo not excepting remote commands

I have a Tivo HD Series 3.
Just about every other day we will switch from cable to the Tivo and the remote will not work.

Just to confirm….
We get the amber light when a button is pushed but we only get a ‘bonk’ sound.
The remote works fine on all other devices, no problem EVER on anything else.
I have tried both our universal and the Tivo remote.
This is the only remote we have in the room (other than testing the Tivo remote) at all times so no chance of a button being stuck.
There is nothing blocking the view and no interference.

We always end up unplugging the Tivo and letting it boot back up.
We don’t have any other problems that night until we flip back over to the Tivo another night and it happens again.

Any answers out there?

Last edited by Debbie25 : 07-11-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Debbie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
Debbie25

Ok, the cabinet next to the Tivo cabinet has all the devices manuals and remotes in it.
I check all remotes just to make sure and there were some batteries in the Tivo remove.
So I now have them removed and I will update in a couple of days to see if it happens again.

I wouldn't think it could be that remote being in a closed solid cabinet but you never know.

Please let me know if you can think of anything else.

Last edited by Debbie25 : 07-11-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Debbie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
ggieseke

If you have a flat screen TV it can generate IR interference. Turning off the power saving mode and cranking up the backlight settings to at least 80% usually does the trick.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
Debbie25

Yea, I read about that too.
We have a Mitz 55" wide that is about 12 years old.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Do I read you correctly that when this happens the Tivo remote does not work either, even with new batteries? And that it does work for awhile after resetting the Tivo? After it starts working again, try using the Tivo remote and see what the System Information page says about "Remote Address". Hopefully it shows "Not Set (0)". Leave the Tivo display up and try some non-Tivo buttons on the Universal Remote. Then try the Tivo remote again to see if it still works. I'm thinking that maybe the Universal Remote is doing something like setting the Remote Address for the Tivo so it no longer responds to either remote. Have you also tried switching the "1/2" switch on the Tivo remote to see if that makes any difference?
Old 07-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
Debbie25

lillevig....
I have not checked this in the Tivo settings.

So far it has been a few days and it has not happened again.
I'm hoping it was the Tivo remote in the cabinet that had the batteries in it still that was causing the interference.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
rmcleran

Brighthouse/Samsung/Series 2 with same problem (not changing channels)

I'm on Brighthouse Network out of Orlando Florida with a TIVO Series 2 that has been working flawlessly (more or less for at least 6 years). Connected to a Samsung SMT-H3260 cable box provided by BHN.

3-4 days ago noticed that some recordings were not of the correct channel. Did some trouble-shooting using the TIVO remote and discovered that when changing channels via TIVO box, the channel didn't always change properly - sometimes an extra digit was added, sometimes the incorrect digits were displayed. Nonetheless, the correct channel displayed on the TV splash screen from TIVO. Problem seemed most acute when entering digital channels in the 1000 plus range (4 digit channel numbers). Channels would change correctly on cable box when changing directly at the box (not via TIVO).

Rebooted both TIVO and cable box per trouble-shooting guides. Tried rerunning channel changing setup numerous times, selecting both Samsung (no joy at all) and Scientific Atlanta (worked sporadically). Tried switching TIVO channel changing to Scientific Atlanta with code 10014-B (recommended somewhere) and tried other numbers.

Today nothing seems to be working.
rmcleran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:45 AM   #8
cannonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcleran View Post
I'm on Brighthouse Network out of Orlando Florida with a TIVO Series 2 that has been working flawlessly (more or less for at least 6 years). Connected to a Samsung SMT-H3260 cable box provided by BHN.

3-4 days ago noticed that some recordings were not of the correct channel. Did some trouble-shooting using the TIVO remote and discovered that when changing channels via TIVO box, the channel didn't always change properly - sometimes an extra digit was added, sometimes the incorrect digits were displayed. Nonetheless, the correct channel displayed on the TV splash screen from TIVO. Problem seemed most acute when entering digital channels in the 1000 plus range (4 digit channel numbers). Channels would change correctly on cable box when changing directly at the box (not via TIVO).

Rebooted both TIVO and cable box per trouble-shooting guides. Tried rerunning channel changing setup numerous times, selecting both Samsung (no joy at all) and Scientific Atlanta (worked sporadically). Tried switching TIVO channel changing to Scientific Atlanta with code 10014-B (recommended somewhere) and tried other numbers.

Today nothing seems to be working.
Have you tried exchanging it for a scientific atlanta 2100 or another scientific atlanta (cisco) box?
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote