TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
WVZR1

Missing my TiVo!

Well I'm being "weened" from cable and my XL and 4XL machines. I'm away from home with only local OTA which isn't all that bad but when I look at an Internet Guide I keep reaching for the remote to set up the next few days of viewing. Well there isn't a TiVo!

No TV "my way" for probably six weeks! I don't believe I'd carry the XL here since the season is still a few weeks away but I have to admit I thought about packing it when I was home last weekend.

"TiVo - don't leave home without it! Soon that could very well be my "motto"!

Last edited by WVZR1 : 08-09-2012 at 05:06 PM.
WVZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I married my Tivo with no divorce in sight!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:53 AM   #3
Series3Sub

Any DVR is superior to the old linear TV watching. I was at a hotel and I immediately missed by DVR's. Even Worse, the hotel didn't have any of my favorite channels like Science, HDNET, HDNET Movies, NatGeo, NatGeo Wild, and no access to my recordings at home (I don't have a need for Sling, so I never invested). I ended up not watching the TV in my room, it was that unsatisfying.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Series3Sub View Post
Any DVR is superior to the old linear TV watching.
...and you don't need a DVR for that. While I'm a huge Tivo fan, to me it was more evolutionary than revolutionary, since I was using a VCR (and for most of the time, two VCRs) for more than a decade to "Watch what I want, when I want" and skip commercials.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
...and you don't need a DVR for that. While I'm a huge Tivo fan, to me it was more evolutionary than revolutionary, since I was using a VCR (and for most of the time, two VCRs) for more than a decade to "Watch what I want, when I want" and skip commercials.
It's still a linear recording. Which is a pain compared to a DVR. I used to do the same thing in the 80's and 90's. I had multiple VCRs to be able to record up to six shows concurrently and to skip the commercials. I would even sometimes record 20 or 30 minutes of an hour show and start watching it while it recorded the rest on another machine. I certainly don't miss those days back in the 20th century.

At least a lower end Premiere with lifetime service is cheaper than what some of the VCRs cost me back in the 80's and early 90's.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
WVZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
At least a lower end Premiere with lifetime service is cheaper than what some of the VCRs cost me back in the 80's and early 90's.
That's certainly a fact. I spent very serious money for a couple. Presently I guess the largest anchor I own is a Toshiba 42" rear projection. It requires a component connection and it's actually hard to "give away"!
WVZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
Johncv

Why not buy an iPad, there an app for that.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:07 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1 View Post
That's certainly a fact. I spent very serious money for a couple. Presently I guess the largest anchor I own is a Toshiba 42" rear projection. It requires a component connection and it's actually hard to "give away"!
Maybe there's a bar or a church youth group who could use a biggish screen donated.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote