TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
Xab

How bad is TiVo with a tuning adapter?

I have a TiVo XL4 and for the first time since 2008 I'm moving to a place where my only option is TWC with SDV. How bad does a tuning adapter mar the TiVo experience? Do you guys miss recordings or get any other oddness? I'm a bit concerned.
Xab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
MJHoltorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xab View Post
I have a TiVo XL4 and for the first time since 2008 I'm moving to a place where my only option is TWC with SDV. How bad does a tuning adapter mar the TiVo experience? Do you guys miss recordings or get any other oddness? I'm a bit concerned.
I have two Premieres with TA's. Neither has given me any sort of problem relating to the TA. Beyond the clutter they cause, and once you get past the initial activation (which can be aggravating for some), they just sit there and do their job. This is, of course, only my experience with Motorola TA's in COX's Orange County, CA service area. I've seen a few people report less than favorable experiences with TWC, but I don't know if it is the TA that is the issue, so YMMV.
MJHoltorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
zowwie85

Series 3 has the innate tuning adapter issues, but I replaced it with two Premieres. The TA's need a reset about once a month.

Premieres DO make suggestions with TA's attached and there are suggestions recorded from HD/SDV channels.

It's just a matter of getting the cablecard activated and your account built right
zowwie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
MeInDallas

I have 2 Premieres on TWC with tuning adapters and 2 HD's going as well. They work perfect with no issues. However I pulled the trigger on the Elite/XL4 back the first of the year and had massive issues with it. Could not get it to work after 3 different Elite/XL4's, 4 different cable card and tuning adapters, and several different visits from a TWC service tech. Now thats just in the Dallas, TX area, so it might work for you in your area. Some people arent having the same issues.

You might wanna take a look at this thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=481894
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
mrizzo80

I'm in TWC territory. I just upgraded from Premiere to Premiere Elite and have noticed an uptick in TA issues, but nothing major. May have missed a recording or two, but SDV channels will all be cable channels so the episode it can't record will get recorded on the next airing... I think. I always forgot the rules involved re: when Tivo will automatically record the next airing when it could not record the original airing.

If you end up with lots of issues, it may make sense to have a tech come out and work directly with the National Cable Card Hotline techs on required signal level ranges -- that may help solve trouble. Most tech's I've had are clueless when it comes to TiVo's, TA's, and cable cards; but when they can deal with raw signal issues they usually do better at fixing problems. CC Hotline techs are usually helpful in this scenario.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:25 AM   #6
ts-1

I've had my Tivo Premiere XL with TWC using a Cisco TA no problems at all in Austin market for the past 4mo. I was worried about it as well - so far zero issues (knock on wood !). I was also concerned about setup but that went really smoothly, thanks to some research/reading here in the forums. I have not had to reset anything yet or missed recordings, etc. Been loving my Tivo Premiere, I moved over from a series 1 DirecTivo. :-)
ts-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
Teeps

I've had a Tuning Adapter (time warner) for a little over a year.
There have been missed recordings on SDV channels. TiVo shows the program in now playing list but nothing but black is on the viewing screen.

Most of the missed recording can be recorded at a later date.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote