TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
compnurd

Holding off on Elite Purchase

Not sure how many others are in this boat, but I am holding off buying an Elite until we get more details on the IP-STB... Until we get some price factors on cost per month or if there is any I just cant commit to the Elite right now..... Anyone else in this boat?
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
Ziggy86

What is IP-STB?
Ziggy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
cherry ghost

I'm holding out for a built-in transcoder. Hopefully that will come in whatever the next generation is called.
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

I was holding off, but mainly due to the negative reports here online.

But then Woot, hit my price point at $299.99, and I could not resist.

I've had it running a week now and have had zero issues with it or the Tuning Adapter (knock on wood). It is sweet, to have no more recording conflicts. MRS is working great even over wireless N, But I intend to run Ethernet everywhere, as soon as I can find a cool day to climb the attic.

It will be a race to see who gets to market first, TiVo's IP-STB or Ceton's Echo Media Extender (as I also have a SD HDHomeRunPrime) currently with no extenders.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy86 View Post
What is IP-STB?
The IP STB is a box announced that will allow you to add Tivo to a TV without adding a cable card. It will steal a tuner from the XL4. it is coming out in the fall but nothing has been announced on pricing
Old 07-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I was holding off, but mainly due to the negative reports here online.

But then Woot, hit my price point at $299.99, and I could not resist.

I've had it running a week now and have had zero issues with it or the Tuning Adapter (knock on wood). It is sweet, to have no more recording conflicts. MRS is working great even over wireless N, But I intend to run Ethernet everywhere, as soon as I can find a cool day to climb the attic.

It will be a race to see who gets to market first, TiVo's IP-STB or Ceton's Echo Media Extender (as I also have a SD HDHomeRunPrime) currently with no extenders.
The negative reports havent swayed me mostly since i dont have a TA which is where most of the issues lie
Old 07-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
drebbe
Carbon Blob

I'm a little confused here. My understanding is that you'll need an Elite/XL4 to use the IP-STB (at least initially). Why hold off if you'll need it eventually? Or am I missing something?
I''m like CoxInPHX. I was holding off for Comcast VOD to be available in my area (Chicago burbs) but then Woot hit my irresistible price point. 2 weeks with the Elite and no issues.
drebbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
Not sure how many others are in this boat, but I am holding off buying an Elite until we get more details on the IP-STB... Until we get some price factors on cost per month or if there is any I just cant commit to the Elite right now..... Anyone else in this boat?
Well if you only want an Elite/XL4 if the IP-STB becomes available and at certain price point then I guess you should not buy an Elite/XL 4 now.

But my guess is that many if not most people on this forum already have one or more TiVos so the IP-STB isn't a absolute requirement when adding a Elite/XL4 to their mix.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 07-10-2012 at 12:55 PM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by drebbe View Post
I'm a little confused here. My understanding is that you'll need an Elite/XL4 to use the IP-STB (at least initially). Why hold off if you'll need it eventually? Or am I missing something?
I''m like CoxInPHX. I was holding off for Comcast VOD to be available in my area (Chicago burbs) but then Woot hit my irresistible price point. 2 weeks with the Elite and no issues.
I have 2 premieres now, so when the Tuner Requirement goes way for the Xl4/IP combo i can just borrow a tuner from one of my other premieres.... the other flip side is depending on the cost, i could replace one of my premieres with a XL4 and just get several IP STB's to reduce monthly fees, assuming of course the IP doesnt have a monthly fee. there in lies my conundrum
Old 07-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #10
cherry ghost

do we know yet if you can use more than one IP-STB with a single XL4 and borrow more than one tuner?
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #11
BigJimOutlaw

The last we heard, the XL4 software will allow up to 2 devices at first.

Courtesy of Gizmo Lovers:

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 07-10-2012 at 12:50 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #12
mr_smits

I am also holding off on an Elite purchase until the IP-TV information becomes clearer. I would love to save money on cable cards if the price is right, and the simplification of season passes would make my life easier.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote