Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-27-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
The Pioneer Woman (Food Network) - Season 1

OK, so did anyone see this? Food Network bastages aired the premier episode exactly once, at 10:30AM today (Saturday) and there are no repeats. WTF? It's not even up on some of the "usual suspects" that one can usually find some torrential bits.

Did anyone watch, and/or does anyone know how a copy might be able to magically find it's way to me?

Brad

Last edited by bsnelson : 08-27-2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Change title
bsnelson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:39 PM   #2
Bryanmc
I'm normal.

I saw it but am going to start an episode thread to discuss it.
Bryanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
drumorgan
a "dry" funny

I hope she can come up with more recipes than chicken fried steak. And, the husband not eating the salad "bit" is going to get old.

I guess she has developed a following from her blog, but since I had never heard of her, her show doesn't "stick to my ribs" yet. We'll see.

Also, is it a rule that if you move to Oklahoma, you have to learn to mispronounce words?
Old 08-28-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
Mr Flippant
Regular User

Our tivo recorded less than a minute and stopped. One showing per episode is the last thing I epected to se on TFN. Well offr to search for alternative sources.
Mr Flippant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
Bryanmc
I'm normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumorgan View Post
I hope she can come up with more recipes than chicken fried steak. And, the husband not eating the salad "bit" is going to get old.

I guess she has developed a following from her blog, but since I had never heard of her, her show doesn't "stick to my ribs" yet. We'll see.

Also, is it a rule that if you move to Oklahoma, you have to learn to mispronounce words?
I don't know how the show will do, but we eat her food all the time and love it. I guess it might not appeal to the west coasters (or anyone outside of the south) but it works for us.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
sharkster

She seems so disingenuous to me. I'm not saying I don't like some of that kind of food, but it's just HER. I cannot get past the bad, weird, vibe I get from her. I feel like she is just using this 'pioneer' thing as a hook and its significance doesn't go beyond that.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
sieglinde

I was hoping the show was about a woman living as a pioneer would not just cooking. Big disappointment.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #8
Jstkiddn

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumorgan View Post
I know she uses the "city girl moves to the country" schtick, but I believe she grew up in Oklahoma. Bartlesville to be exact. Now she probably didn't grow up on a farm, but I'm thinking that moving to the ranch wasn't exactly culture shock. It's not like she grew up in NYC or LA.

That said, I love her blog. She's pretty funny in writing. Not sure it's translating very well to the screen.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #9
d-dub
Jami's Gameboy

Her blog is good, and we make a lot of her recipes, which are generally very good.

However, in my opinion, this show is too heavily scripted, and there's too much "cowboys on the range," and not enough cooking.

Hopefully, they'll figure out that they need to just let her be herself, get rid of the script and all the staged ranch stuff, and focus on the food and cooking.

Now with improved joystick action!
World's Luckiest Guy (TM)

-- David --
d-dub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #10
drumorgan
a "dry" funny

Yes, the dialogue, "Hey, pardner, what say we rustle up to the lodge where my wife had some chicken fried steak cooking for us. Well, only if she has them mashed potatoes I love so much. She does, and gravy too", just pulls me out of the mood. I'll give it some leeway, as many of the shows I love had terrible pilots, if not first seasons. Seinfeld, for example, is very different the first season, before they found their style.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #11
justen_m

I haven't seen it yet, but I'll give it a chance, too. Even the best shows have some bad moments and/or episodes. I love Good Eats, but some the scenes are horrible (usually when Alton puts on a costume, plays a part, fakes an accent, has guest characters like French waiters or giant talking Tunas, or plays with over-the-top props). However, based on the show descriptions above, it sounds like it has a lot of what I don't like.

I've cooked a couple of her recipes and both were tasty, simple, freshly-prepared comfort food.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #12
Grasshopper AZ

I have cooked several of her recipes. We have loved each one.

I believe she was raised in Oklahoma but moved to California for school. Then she got a job in L.A. and was living the highlife. If I am remembering properly she met her husband on a trip back to Oklahoma and she moved back and got married. She then had to learn how to live life on the ranch instead of living in the city. She tought herself how to cook after years of eating out and ordering room service. I liked the show and will continue to watch.
HR20-100s
HR20-100s
Grasshopper AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #13
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Damn hurricane. Damn Food Network only airing the ep once. Grrrr.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #14
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Given her popularity, I'm surprised at Food Network's airing of this.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #15
JustAllie
Number crunchin'

I've read a few things on her blog but haven't followed it closely.

But based on the recipes chosen for this first episode, she is doing her best to ensure that her husband, children, and ranch hands all die young of heart disease.

Seriously, that family's diet needs an intervention. Even a meal centered around chicken-fried steak does not have to be that bad for you.
JustAllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:10 PM   #16
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Perspective is a funny thing. I don't know all the recipes she chose, but most of what she posts to her blog are good ol' stick to your ribs midwestern food. Stuff that we all grew up on in cattle country, and that is still served in most restaurants.

I haven't made much of anything from her blog (I did make the lasagna for my family for Christmas one year and the chocolate sheet cake on two occasions.) But both of those were pretty tasty, although not at all good for you now that I'm older and recognize it as such.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #17
Bryanmc
I'm normal.

FWIW, that dressing she made for the tomatoes is a staple at our house. We eat it on salad all the time, it's fantastic.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #18
themarlborowoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-dub View Post
Her blog is good, and we make a lot of her recipes, which are generally very good.

However, in my opinion, this show is too heavily scripted, and there's too much "cowboys on the range," and not enough cooking.

Hopefully, they'll figure out that they need to just let her be herself, get rid of the script and all the staged ranch stuff, and focus on the food and cooking.

Sorry, if the focus was on the food and cooking, Food Network would have to pay royalties to all the Bartlesville area church and community cookbooks that Ree lifts her recipes from. All this retro, Betty Crocker style cooking is unhealthy and artery clogging and in the long run, will be this show's downfall.

A little background on Ree Drummond: before she embarked on the cooking schtick, she and her husband pitched a TV show idea called The Ranchelor. Modeled after The Bachelor, it's premise was unmarried cowboys looking for love. When there were no takers in Hollywood, Ree decided to go after a television show from the cooking angle. Sadly, Ree Drummond has no on-camera chemistry and she comes off as a total phony. Too bad The Ranchelor gig didn't work out.
themarlborowoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #19
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Someone has an ax to grind!
Old 07-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #20
dtivouser

TC CLUB MEMBER
Looks like maybe the Pioneer Woman owes money to the Marlboro Woman.
dtivouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #21
dylking
I've never farded

Quote:
Originally Posted by themarlborowoman View Post
All this retro, Betty Crocker style cooking is unhealthy and artery clogging and in the long run, will be this show's downfall.
Not a Paula Deen fan, I take it?

Re: the show itself; we watched it, and it grew on us over time. Some of the recipes were 'meh', but some made it to our 'list'.
dylking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #22
snowjay
40mph couch potato

The first time I heard of Ree was on a Throwdown episode, I thought she did well in front of the camera and then before you knew it she had her own show. I watch it when it's on and her salsa has become a staple in my house!

Not sure what the beef is about above but obviously they have no southern manners.
snowjay is offline   Reply With Quote