TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
EnergyStar
This Space For Rent

Refurb Tivo Drive upgrade - wait or asap?

I bought a 2nd Premier (with lifetime) during the current Fast-Forward sale and eventually I want to upgrade the drive but I have several questions.

Should I upgrade the drive as soon as I receive the unit or confirm the refurb works for about 30 days and/or wait until the warranty expires. Not sure how reliable the refurbs are.

Also, I've read a lot of pros/cons between the WD EURS, EARX and other drives. What appears to be the most reliable for TP right now?

Thank you in advance for the support/feedback.
EnergyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
minimeh
Vanity Phrase Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnergyStar View Post
Should I upgrade the drive as soon as I receive the unit or confirm the refurb works for about 30 days and/or wait until the warranty expires.
An excellent strategy is to set up the stock box as-is, forcing connections until the latest software upgrade is installed, pairing your cable card, setting up your network configuration, setting up your location and cable provider, and so forth.

Then when everything is functional, replace the stock drive with the upgraded drive that you build from the stock drive. Put the stock drive into safe storage. Now if you have a problem with the updated drive at any time, you simply need to swap back the stock drive and you're back in business minus only any recorded programs that were on the upgraded drive.

With the stock drive kept for a rainy day, whether you upgrade immediately or wait 30 days or longer depends on how you feel about opening up the case and swapping the drives. Many have reported that by putting the stock drive back in, warranty processing isn't an issue.

You should know that TiVo will have logs on record that can be referred to see that you did upgrade the hard drive. But again, the common experience has been that unless you mention the upgraded drive to CS (don't do that), nobody bothers to check the logs.

It is a bit of a gamble but I don't recall anybody reporting the drive upgrade invalidating a warranty unless the person mentioned the upgrade during discussion with CS.
minimeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

Yes it happened to me. When the TiVoHD first came out. They told me they knew the hard drive was upgraded and would not trouble shoot any issues since I had upgraded the drive. Since it was only a few days old, I put the original drive back in and took it back to Circuit City to exchange it for another one. Of course there was never anything wrong with the box,. It was an issue all the TiVoHD boxes had when they first came out with some analog channels. SHortly after I got FiOS and didn't need to worry about the issue any more.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

I think waiting the 90days before upgrading the HDD is a wise idea. And definitely keep the original in a safe place.

I would also only use the WD20EURS AV/GP HDD, Hopefully in that 90 days the price will come down a bit more. I paid $79 before the HDD shortage.

TiVo does know you upgraded the HDD, I applied for the TiVo Field Trials Beta program on my upgraded Premiere, and was denied they said due to a non-stock HDD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:46 AM   #5
EnergyStar
This Space For Rent

Thanks for the replies! I'll take that feedback and wait to make sure it's setup and working properly before upgrading.

CoxInPHX - Question for you. Any issues with your 2 tivo's with I assume 2 cablecards and 2 TA's? My first TP setup was sort of a pain (all on Cox's end on the cablecard auth). Maybe you have some advice to make this 2nd TP less of an adventure. My current TP/TA still has issues with channels but a quick channel change and back again will tune-in the channel.
EnergyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:07 AM   #6
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

No real issues to speak of "if" you get a competent Tech. TA works perfectly on my Elite and Premiere. Sometimes (usually in my case) the person at the Cox Store will make a mistake when adding either the CC or TA to your account correctly, and that can fowl the whole process. But if that happens have the person on the phone remove and re-add everything and verify Serial numbers.

Ask for a New CC still in the plastic, and a New TA with the plastic still across the face. The Cox rep will probably roll their eyes and give you a hard time, but insist. Both have a Manufacture Date on them check the date. Do not accept if they look used, scratched, dented, dirty, or if the TA has an RMA sticker on the bottom.

Plug the TA into the Coax and the Power as soon as you get it and leave it for 30mins to 1Hr, It will need to download the latest firmware, from F.1402 to F.1601. It should start flashing Slow and then Faster, You may need to re-boot the TA to finish the firmware install, or it might re-boot on its own.

Write down the CC Serial# starting with "PKG" and the TA Serial# starting with "SAB"

Insert the CC and plug in the TA to USB before you run guided set-up. After guided set-up, you should be able to receive channels 1003-1020 right away, as they are not Copy Protected, anything above will pop-up the CC pairing screen.

Call 1-877-820-8202, it should be the Omaha CC Support Desk.
Verify with them the CC Serial# starting with "PKG" and the TA Serial# starting with "SAB"

Then Provide the CableCARD ID: and Host ID: from the Host ID screen, make sure Cox has all the numbers correct, ask them to read them back to you.

If you do not receive the Plus Package HD channels ask to have them added to your CC account, they are Free, with corresponding package subscription
Cox Arizona Plus Package HD Channels
CableCARD Devices and Plus Pak Channels

See the following postings for any Troubleshooting if needed:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...47#post9165647

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...43#post9165843

Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting

After everything is working, then Connect to the TiVo Service several times until you get the "Pending Restart" for TiVo to install the latest software, Then restart your TiVo.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 07-08-2012 at 08:22 AM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
jasew

Will upgraded Tivos still receive software updates? Or do you have to revert back to the original drive, update it, and repeat the upgrade process all over again?
jasew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
minimeh
Vanity Phrase Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasew View Post
Will upgraded Tivos still receive software updates? Or do you have to revert back to the original drive, update it, and repeat the upgrade process all over again?
Updates aren't a problem on an upgraded TiVo. I have done such an upgrade and get the updates fine. I haven't read of anyone who has not.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
jasew

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimeh View Post
Updates aren't a problem on an upgraded TiVo. I have done such an upgrade and get the updates fine. I haven't read of anyone who has not.
Thanks. It's good to hear that software updates continue to work.

I've read several posts of people who made sure they had the latest software version installed before doing the upgrade. They never said why they did that -so I was afraid it was because the unit would no longer "qualify" for future software updates.

So now I wonder why some people are careful to get the latest software version before they upgrade if they can get the update anyway.
jasew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #10
minimeh
Vanity Phrase Here

Quote:
So now I wonder why some people are careful to get the latest software version before they upgrade if they can get the update anyway.
Mostly for plug and play convenience for DIY upgrades. Suppose the version on your stock drive doesn't support features on latter updates such as Netflix or Hulu? You would lose your configuration settings for the latter versions when you put the stock drive back in or re-image from the stock drive.

OTOH, I suppose if you're buying a ready-built drive from a supplier, ensuring that the latest upgrade and configurations are on the stock drive is immaterial. Even still, I'd feel more comfortable with the latest stable upgrade sitting on my shelf ready to go in case of emergency.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
I've read several posts of people who made sure they had the latest software version installed before doing the upgrade. They never said why they did that -so I was afraid it was because the unit would no longer "qualify" for future software updates.

For me, two reasons.
In the case of having an original drive "on the shelf":
1) It makes sense to install it in the Tivo to make sure it still boots up and runs fine. If a software update is needed, might as well let it update so that you will have the latest OS on it when you put it back on the shelf.
2) It's ready to use in case of emergency.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
For me, two reasons.
In the case of having an original drive "on the shelf":
1) It makes sense to install it in the Tivo to make sure it still boots up and runs fine. If a software update is needed, might as well let it update so that you will have the latest OS on it when you put it back on the shelf.
2) It's ready to use in case of emergency.
A few years later I would hope any Series 4 drive on the shelf would have software out of date but if you set up your TP with the original drive and do the cable card setting with the cable co than use that drive to make your upgrade you will have all your cable settings and you may only have to go through one software upgrade if you need to make up a new drive from the original in the future.