TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-05-2014, 12:58 PM   #1
Marc
Now Legally Married

TC CLUB MEMBER
Software required for downloading programs from Roamio? (H.264)

I've encountered something unusual that I think I understand what's going on, but I wanted to get others' opinions to see whether I've missed something.

I want to download a program off my new Roamio Pro. Here's what I've encountered:
  • If I download it normally using kmttg, I end up with a quite small decoded .mpg that is just the audio portion with no video.
  • If I tell kmttg to download the program's transport stream instead, not only does it download much more quickly and I get a much larger file (~8 GB), but I find that the tivodecode step fails since it doesn't understand transport streams.
  • If I load this resulting .TiVo file in VideoReDo Plus, I get a message that the content in the .TiVo file is actually an H.264 stream, and VideoReDo Suite H.264 is required to handle this file.

So, what I think I've learned is that the program I'm downloading from my TiVo is not working with my normal processes because the channel is being sent in H.264 instead of MPEG-2 format. If I want to download programs from my TiVo from an H.264 channel, it seems that the only way to decrypt it currently is VideoReDo Suite H.264.

Am I correct, or is there some part of the problem that I've overlooked?

I should add that I'm on a Mac, but I do have access to Windows XP via VMware Fusion.
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:16 PM   #2
ggieseke

That's probably a pretty good assessment.

You could also try a straight TS download, then process the .TiVo file into unencrypted H.264 with an old program called DirectShow Dump. It uses the decrypter that TiVo Desktop installs and I don't know if it works with VMWare Fusion, but it might be worth a shot.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
Marc
Now Legally Married

TC CLUB MEMBER
Thanks... I'll give that a try.

Edited to add...
I found a copy of the DirectShow Dump Utility and gave it a shot. It did successfully convert the .TiVo file into a playable .mpg. Thanks again!

Now I've got to figure the best way to process the file (trim and re-encode to an iTunes-compatible .m4v format). I think I can trim it down in QuickTime and then use my trusty iVI Pro to make an iTunes-compatible version for my archive.

Last edited by Marc : 01-05-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
berkinet

Roamio+, OS-X 10.9.1 & kmttg here and it all works as expected. Try breaking the download into discrete steps so you can troubleshoot along the way. I.e. Download the .tivo file, then, on the Files tab, decrypt, and then mpg encode.

BTW, how are you running VRD? In the virtual windows machine?
berkinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:42 PM   #5
Marc
Now Legally Married

TC CLUB MEMBER
I think the key difference that I may have encountered was that I'm trying to download a program that is coming from an MPEG-4 (H.264) channel. That's causing the bump. When I've downloaded from most of the channels I receive, I've been able to get the programs with no problem. This is the first time I'm downloading from this channel (Sony Movie Channel on FiOS), so I think that's the problem here.

Yes, VideoReDo is running in a virtual Windows XP system (under VMware Fusion).
Old 01-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #6
berkinet

Ahhh. Well, in one way you are lucky... you have FiOS. I'd test here but we have Comcast. Not sure if that is a or a
berkinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:17 PM   #7
Marc
Now Legally Married

TC CLUB MEMBER
Oh, I know. FiOS is great for those of us who like to archive programs!
Old 01-05-2014, 08:16 PM   #8
tlp95129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
[*]If I load this resulting .TiVo file in VideoReDo Plus, I get a message that the content in the .TiVo file is actually an H.264 stream, and VideoReDo Suite H.264 is required to handle this file.[/list]
Slightly off topic, but I made the jump to the VideoRedo H.264 version and it's superb. It will recode to almost anything you could want. Well worth it IMHO.
tlp95129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #9
Marc
Now Legally Married

TC CLUB MEMBER
Thanks for saying that. I did download the demo and found that I was able to edit the .TiVo program and generate the resulting .mpg file rather easily. The only downside was that the MPEG-4 file it created wasn't compatible with iTunes, so I had to go through a recompression cycle anyway.