TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-10-2014, 09:20 PM   #1
morac
Cat God

Season Pass refuses to record extra minute

I've been having a problem for about 2 months. I have a season pass for Gotham (8 to 9 PM) on Fox on my Roamio Pro. I also have a season pass for Sleepy Hollow (9 to 10 PM) on Fox. I changed the Gotham season pass to stop 1 minute late, but it refuses to do so, despite showing that it will do so in the To do list and while recording. There are 3 free tuners from 9 to 10 PM, so clipping (which is on) shouldn't apply.

I've tried deleting the season pass and recreating it and I've also tried reordering my season passes. Neither helped. I had this problem under 2.4.4 and it continues under 2.4.5. This is the only season pass I'm seeing this problem wIth despite all my season passes being set to end one minute later, though I don't think there are any others that are back to back on the same channel.

I'm at a loss in trying to figure out how to fix this.

morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:51 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I've been having a problem for about 2 months. I have a season pass for Gotham (8 to 9 PM) on Fox on my Roamio Pro. I also have a season pass for Sleepy Hollow (9 to 10 PM) on Fox. I changed the Gotham season pass to stop 1 minute late, but it refuses to do so, despite showing that it will do so in the To do list and while recording. There are 3 free tuners from 9 to 10 PM, so clipping (which is on) shouldn't apply.

I've tried deleting the season pass and recreating it and I've also tried reordering my season passes. Neither helped. I had this problem under 2.4.4 and it continues under 2.4.5. This is the only season pass I'm seeing this problem wIth despite all my season passes being set to end one minute later, though I don't think there are any others that are back to back on the same channel.

I'm at a loss in trying to figure out how to fix this.
Delete the Sleepy Hollow SP temporarily and see if that makes a difference.

Report back.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:50 PM   #3
59er
TiVotee

Have you tried padding Gotham's SP by two minutes?

59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:52 AM   #4
morac
Cat God

I ran some tests. Turned off overlap protection which made no difference. I also tested other recordings and seasons passes:

1. Set up three 30 minutes back to back recordings on same channel. Extended first by 2 minutes, other two by 1 minute. All recorded as expected.
2. Padded my Daily Show season pass by 1 minutes and I have a Colbert Report SP. Daily Show correctly recorded an extra minute.

Now these shows, were 30 minutes and Gotham is 60, but other than that there's really no difference. Not sure what's different about Gotham.

I switched Gotham to record 5 minutes extra for next week. Next week is the fall finale, so if the recording doesn't work correctly, I won't be able to test again for several months.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #5
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
I ran some tests. Turned off overlap protection which made no difference. I also tested other recordings and seasons passes:

1. Set up three 30 minutes back to back recordings on same channel. Extended first by 2 minutes, other two by 1 minute. All recorded as expected.
2. Padded my Daily Show season pass by 1 minutes and I have a Colbert Report SP. Daily Show correctly recorded an extra minute.

Now these shows, were 30 minutes and Gotham is 60, but other than that there's really no difference. Not sure what's different about Gotham.

I switched Gotham to record 5 minutes extra for next week. Next week is the fall finale, so if the recording doesn't work correctly, I won't be able to test again for several months.
There's your problem. Everything in Gotham is corrupt!

CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:39 PM   #6
morac
Cat God

TiVo support told me to try changing the season pass to record 5 minutes extra. That worked. Not sure why 1 minute extra isn't working. I did change the season pass default to record 1 minute extra. I wonder if that's related?

Old 12-01-2014, 10:27 PM   #7
WorldBandRadio

Lurking here, as I have the same problem.

WorldBandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:44 AM   #8
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMark View Post
There's your problem. Everything in Gotham is corrupt!

Same show or different one? Also did you set up the default recording option to record a minute extra by default?

Old 12-02-2014, 01:02 AM   #9
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Did you mean to quote worldbandradio instead of me?

I was just teasing with an in-show reference. :-)

CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:09 AM   #10
morac
Cat God

Oops, yeah I meant to quote him.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:41 PM   #11
WorldBandRadio

Quote:
Oops, yeah I meant to quote him.
Different show(s).

The problem occurs so sporadically that I've not been able to even try to reproduce it reliably. I've been trying to track down the conditions that were present when it happened, but usually it is a few days before I notice the problem has occurred.

I see it occur once about a week.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:59 PM   #12
WorldBandRadio

OK, the problem seems to occur on Thursday evenings for me (so far, two Thursdays in a row).

I'd like to see if it occurs one more time before I start mitigation techniques. Unfortunately, given the upcoming holidays the Thursday evening schedules won't be back to normal until a couple three weeks from now.

fwiw, I see the problem when I'm recording The Big Bang Theory on TBS with the season pass adding an extra minute at the end, the CBS Thursday night lineup with no padding in the season pass, and an episode of Hogan's Heroes on MeTV at 9pm with no padding on the season pass. The Big Bang Theory shows on TBS at 9:00 and 9:30 do not have the extra minute at the end as the season pass requests.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:18 PM   #13
morac
Cat God

When I changed the program to record 5 minutes extra it worked. I changed it back to 1 minute, but I haven't had a chance to test it since the shows are on hiatus.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:00 PM   #14
morac
Cat God

Quote:
When I changed the program to record 5 minutes extra it worked. I changed it back to 1 minute, but I haven't had a chance to test it since the shows are on hiatus.
Gotham correctly recorded the extra minute last night. I looks like changing the stop time to 5 minutes and then back to 1 fixed it.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:58 PM   #15
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

I've had similar issues with shows that are scheduled to run a minute late. I say "similar", since this has been with shows shown in the guide data as running the extra minute, but I don't recall it happening when I had tried to pad for the extra minute which it sounds like the OP tried to do. (Although i don't tend to pad just for an extra minute all that often; usually 2 or 3.)

e.g., The guide has show scheduled to run from 8 - 9:01, and the show after it is scheduled to run from 9:01 to 10.

I'll have, say, the 8:00 show scheduled to record, and find out later that the TiVo only recorded 60 minutes of it, not the full 61 minutes it was scheduled for. It does *not* show "Partial" like it does when it knows it deliberately cut off a show due to, say a conflict. But the green bar shows shows a little portion of transparency at the very end as if the TiVo knows the show was supposed to run longer, but it also knows it doesn't have the ending.

It's completely random when it occurs. Records just fine one week, but the next week, that episode also has the same extra minute run time and it gets cut off for no good reason. (There are definitely not recording conflicts when it happens, and I have the Overlap Protection disabled anyways.)

I had posted about it a few months ago, when I saw somebody else had brought it up...
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...4#post10211104

Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:47 PM   #16
morac
Cat God

Well the problem returned this week on the Gotham recording. I haven't changed the SP at all, yet it decided to only record 60 minutes this week, despite set to record an extra minute and the playback bar showing 61 minutes worth.

My box did update to 20.4.6, but it did so prior to last weeks recording, which was correct.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:06 PM   #17
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Well the problem returned this week on the Gotham recording. I haven't changed the SP at all, yet it decided to only record 60 minutes this week, despite set to record an extra minute and the playback bar showing 61 minutes worth.

My box did update to 20.4.6, but it did so prior to last weeks recording, which was correct.
My recording of Gotham was also 60 minutes, and I did not select any extra minutes.

Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:20 AM   #18
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

It's happened to me for the last two episodes of Shark Tank. Both were scheduled for 61 minutes, but the TiVo only recorded 60, even though the playback bar showed 61.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:37 AM   #19
WorldBandRadio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeters View Post
It's happened to me for the last two episodes of Shark Tank. Both were scheduled for 61 minutes, but the TiVo only recorded 60, even though the playback bar showed 61.
This happened to me this week for a single recording (i.e., a single check mark on the ToDo list, instead of the double check for the OnePass recordings).

I added a minute, but that additional minute did not record.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:56 PM   #20
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldBandRadio View Post
This happened to me this week for a single recording (i.e., a single check mark on the ToDo list, instead of the double check for the OnePass recordings).

I added a minute, but that additional minute did not record.
I've seen this problem in the past with single recordings where the recording time was changed from the My Shows list as opposed to the To Do list. I don't know if that's still the case.

Up until I first posted about this problem, I didn't have issues with extending SP/1P recordings.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:22 AM   #21
WorldBandRadio

Quote:
I've seen this problem in the past with single recordings where the recording time was changed from the My Shows list as opposed to the To Do list. I don't know if that's still the case.

Up until I first posted about this problem, I didn't have issues with extending SP/1P recordings.
When I do a 1P (I like that notation, thanks!), I typically select the show to record from the Guide, and add the extra minute before I save the record request. I did not change it after the initial save.

I've not had the issues with extending SP/1P recordings until recently. I don't know exactly when they started, but I do remember that I did not have the problem when I had a Series3/HD. The problem surfaced only since I've had the Roamio Pro (late last year).

Old 02-11-2015, 12:46 PM   #22
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldBandRadio View Post
[...] but I do remember that I did not have the problem when I had a Series3/HD. The problem surfaced only since I've had the Roamio Pro (late last year).
Same here. I just got my Roamio back in July. I don't think I'd had it for two weeks before I had this problem happen to me, and it continues to routinely happen. But I never saw the problem happen even once on my TiVo HD that I used from 2008 until this past Summer.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:38 PM   #23
WorldBandRadio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeters View Post
Same here. I just got my Roamio back in July. I don't think I'd had it for two weeks before I had this problem happen to me, and it continues to routinely happen. But I never saw the problem happen even once on my TiVo HD that I used from 2008 until this past Summer.
For the short-term, I am too busy trying to figure out how to get the OnePass fiasco to start helping me record the shows I want, so I don't have the time to try to track down a reproducible case for the "not recording the extra minute" problem that the Roamio Pro has.