TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-21-2014, 03:21 AM   #1
tpir72

Maximum Drive Size for Series 2 Dual Tuner?

Hi,
I have searched the forums and haven't seen an answer to this. What is the maximum drive size supported in a TIVO Series 2 Dual Tuner unit?
I know a SATA drive needs an IDE adapter. What is the limit of a SATA drive that I can use?

Is there an Instant Cake guide somewhere to setup this new drive?

Regards,

Terry
tpir72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:04 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

Curious, why would you invest a large HDD in such an old Tivo model? I suspect even a used box with a larger drive would be more useful, but it would depend on why you are using it.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:40 PM   #3
tpir72

I have an older tube TV in the library and the Series 2 DT has lifetime service. Until I upgrade the TV I don't have a need for newer models.

Can Lifetime service be transferred to a newer model?

Regards,

Terry
tpir72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
jrtroo
User

No, but you would be putting $100 into something that will likely become a one tuner box in the future (as your cable company will eventually go 100% digital). I would just spend the $200 to get a lifetime S3 box and use it even after your TV goes Kaput.

Tivo may give you a deal if you call them on a premiere with lifetime. Worth the call.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:37 AM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpir72 View Post
Hi,
I have searched the forums and haven't seen an answer to this. What is the maximum drive size supported in a TIVO Series 2 Dual Tuner unit?
I know a SATA drive needs an IDE adapter. What is the limit of a SATA drive that I can use?

Is there an Instant Cake guide somewhere to setup this new drive?

Regards,

Terry
You can (with the right adapter) use a 1TB drive, and since the S1s and S2s are IDE/PATA controller based, you can actually use two of them (one master, one slave, on the same ribbon cable), for a total of 2TB.

That's how I set one up for my mom a few years ago, using the weaKnees Twinbreeze dual drive bracket designed specifically for that model.

I haven't seen anyone report long term success with a 1.5TB or 2TB drive in an S1 or S2.

As an experiment, I tried a single 2TB in an S2 DT.

It booted.

Whether it would have worked long term I don't know, because I needed to put the regular drive back in to record stuff, and I needed to use the 2TB drive in a Series 3 or S3 HD (I forget which).

If I had plenty of spare money I'd love to see if I could get an S2 DT to use 2 2TB drives for a total of 4TB.

The adapter thread is here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=416883

Read all of it.

There will be a test.

If you fail the test, you will have wasted money.

If your S2 DT is working fine right now, you don't need Instant Cake (which last I heard is horribly outdated, making it a royal pain with which to work), you can copy the current drive to a new one with either the MFS Live cd v1.4 (which you can download and burn to cd-r "as an image" for free) or with the WinMFS program (also free to download) which runs on Windows XP or newer, and then, as a separate step from the copying, expand into the extra space.

You will need a PC.

One thing of which you should be aware is that Series 2 and Series 3 TiVo power supplies are subject to falling victim to "capacitor plague" (there's a Wikipedia article which explains it). It doesn't seem to happen to the S2 DT as often as the single tuner S2s or the 3 various S3 models, but it does happen. It happened to me.

If you can solder, you can fix it for $10 to $15 in replacement capacitors of the right kind.

If your TiVo is suffering from caps on the power supply going bad, that can manifest itself as all sorts of symptoms that look like a failure of some other part of the TiVo, including the hard drive.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote