TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #1
IBEmerson

Exclamation Sony T60 now won't finish booting

Well, from looking around the internet, at least a few Series 1 SAT-T60s reset and won't show live TV today. My software is 3.1.0c2-01-1-011 and I can telnet into it. It cycles between 50% and 63% over and over again, but I can't view Live TV. It has been connected to a phone line for a long time.

I dusted off an newer Hughes HDVR2 (the 'original' Series 2 DirecTivo) and it is running fine.

Does anyone has a SAT-T60 that IS working? I'm sure there aren't a lot left.

IBEmerson

Last edited by IBEmerson : 05-03-2012 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Add additional info
IBEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
val24601

Have you had any changes?? My Huges started working today....
val24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:26 AM   #3
notanonymus

My T60 died yesterday..same ussue, will not complete receiving of data from satellite. Sticks at either 70% or 79%, never any other number no matter how many tries. Installed original small hard-drive with Tivo software, same problem as with large hard drive, so not hard drive related. Also changed the battery on the mother board, My programs in the Now Playing list are playing fine,...Tested sat signal, passed fine, tested phone connection, fine, and even called home successfully..but will NOT finish the sat setup.

I took a spare T60 out of storage and tried to set it up too...same exact result. different machine, same results...time for the conspiracy theroists to surface now.

I think that DirecTV has DELIBERATLY loaded mal-ware computer virus into the older sets to force a failure and drive us away from legacy systems into far more costly new equipment that also comes with montly lease fees, data transfer fees and other fees on top of the subscription fees...The new Tivo model in the mid level capacity is under $200 to "purchase" from DirecTV, but requires a $500 fee to get a lifetime subscrition, [ or $15 a month forever] something that was free or cheap when the T60 was introduced...DirecTV also charges an additional 20 dollars per month forever for special data fee if you choose a new HD Tivo rathter than using their inferior in-house DVRs...

They have every financial reason in the world to sabotage our older Tivo units..it is call GREED.

I also contacted DVRupgrade.com by email...they tried to help me as I have completed the assorted tests, they are at a loss to recognise what the SPECIFC problem is. Of course they want me to ship it to them....and if it is as I suspect, malware from DirecTV, there will never be an easy repair and it will cost me shipping, and a minumum srervice charge to have look at it and then toss it in the recycle bin. I DO applaud their effort to help, GOOD GUYS it would seem, but I need to hold off on sending them the unit until there appears to be some certainty that a repair can be made. I don't want to spend MORE money for no results, especially if it looks like I'm going to get stuck with either dumping DirecTV and going to Greedcast cable [ after the introductory offer wears out, the better service goes to about 140 an month, PLUS DVR "lease" and data fees] ..If this T60 problem persists and becomes pandemic, as I think it will, perhaps DVRupgrade can identify the bug and program a go-around...I sure hope they can, and if they do I'll be in the front of the line...

I DO HOPE that I am wrong about sabotage, but I have seen this sort of thing from inside the Corporate world, and "they" always deny everything EVEN when something bad is on purpose.....I am waiting for another data upload from the sat at 2AM to see if it helps, but I'm not holding my breath....I think we Sat-T60 owners are screwed, and nailed! I hope this gets fixed....

JC

Last edited by notanonymus : 05-04-2012 at 01:40 AM.
notanonymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:44 AM   #4
IBEmerson

Unfortunately my T60 is still having issues. I just rebooted it again in case something changes.

The Hughes had a hiccup last night at midnight, and got stuck on "A few more minutes" screen. A power cycle fixed that, but I'm wondering if this will happen every night. I did notice that the 'Load Program Data' failed last night as well. If so, then indeed the old Tivos are toast...

I don't think DirecTV did this deliberately, but they may have just stopped trying to be compatible with 10 year old equipment. That's a shame, but then, how many of us are there left?

I'll be calling Customer Service soon, and see what I can get out of them. My parents went from the old Tivos to the DirecTV DVRs with only a little pain.

Hamsterman
Old 05-04-2012, 02:26 AM   #5
notanonymus

You are too kind to DirecTV, ...looking around the forums I see at T60s are dropping like dead flies. They ARE killing us off. I also discoverd that as of last summer, one could NOT have a recently acquired T60 put on your account with DirecTV...only T60s that had been in service ON YOUR ACCOUNT would remain working. Now it looks like they are pulling the plug with no warning and no resolution.

IS THERE A LAWYER ON THE FORUM?????? Time to set up a class action suit against these greedy guys for failing to deliver paid-for contracted services.

ONLY SEVERE CONSUMER PRESSURE OR LEGAL ACTION will change this....they want us gone in favor of much higher profit customers....

Last edited by notanonymus : 05-04-2012 at 03:14 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:33 AM   #6
notanonymus

I have been looking at alternatives....the DVRs from Direct have far less user functionality than Tivo, even the OLD Tivo..the look of the user interface sucks, and there are THOUSANDS of people complaining about that now!! The only way to have a better scheduling experience and easier to see on-screen graphics is is to pay the friggen Tivo piper ,...they still make the best performaing equipment. Buy a new Tivo for a few hundred dollars, PAY for the 500 lifetime fee [ instead of thousands that add up at the optional 15 per month] and then pay the data add on fee to the greedy satelite serive proivider of $240 a year [ this is just to have the new Tivo hooked up instead of their own crappy receiver that you DON"T have to pay this fee to have hooked up] , and THEN you can get down to paying for the regular sat package....which I have now dumped about 13 thosuand into over the years at well over 1200 a year.......

Billions in profit is not enough for them...get used to it, corporate greed IS the new way..we pay, no matter what, and they kill off our cheap but highly effective PAID OFF old stuff NOT because it is really obsolete, but because it is not helpng them to buy another 400 foot yacht or 22 million New York City apartment.

Last edited by notanonymus : 05-04-2012 at 02:41 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:49 AM   #7
unitron

Not to say anything in defense of DirecTV here, but make sure you eliminate bad power supply capacitors as a possible cause or contributing factor.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:56 AM   #8
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanonymus View Post

Billions in profit is not enough for them...get used to it, corporate greed IS the new way..we pay, no matter what, and they kill off our cheap but highly effective PAID OFF old stuff NOT because it is really obsolete, but because it is not helpng them to buy another 400 foot yacht or 22 million New York City apartment.
Go ahead and prove this nonsense claim with some real evidence. Even if I started with the assumption that a 10 year old TiVo should still be working perfectly, nothing bad should happen, I can't conclude that DirecTV has deliberately used a malicious software update to kill the DVR. I would believe a bunny was hopping around the neighborhood hiding eggs a few weeks ago before I would that nonsense baseless claim.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
We know exactly what happened here - DirecTV made a change to guide data format, about two years after they pushed out a software update that would understand the change. Those with boxes disconnected from the phone line, who hacked the box to disable updates, or who put back into service boxes that had been offline for a long time, didn't get the update. It was not anything malicious or aimed at TiVo users.

DirecTV went out of their way (and probably paid extra) to get the software update back in the satellite stream to take care of users who lost the locals.

What I don't know is if this also takes care of SAT-T60 and DSR-6000 users. But if a new box would make you happy, the THR22 is a solid choice and will give you the TiVo experience you crave.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
lrhorer

I just double-checked with my sister, and she says her SAT-T60 is working fine. Hers was long ago upgraded with a 160G hard drive and the addition of a TurboNet card. Her internal modem was fried by an electrical storm many years ago, so she has not phoned home in ages.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #11
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
It may be that some markets are affected and some not.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #12
notanonymus

My Tivo Sat-T60 HAS phoned home.....is phoning home and will continue to phone home, with the exception of a short periond not to long ago. As I understand it, even if we missed a download during the period of disconnection, the upgrade needed WOULD be sensed and dowloaded upon re-connection. ...and it has been re-connected for plenty of time now. It had a large hard drive installed by the original owner back in 2001 when it was new, and we purchesed it shortly thereafter. We have received ocassional software updates as they have been issued by DirecTV....We are and have been 100% legal, no hacks or bypasses to cheat anything. We have no issue whatsover with being legal and paying legitmately for services we want to subscribe to.

We have substituted a power supply from a low hours T60 to eliminate the possibility that these issues are power supply related. Checked the voltages with an Agelent-HP 22401A multi-meter, and we DO have correct and stable power supply operation from both available power supplies.

Self system tests still indicate 100% function of dish and tuner section, 100% function of modem and phone connection. The hard drive is giving stable playback of all recordings in the Now Playing list, no glitches, no pixelation, no hesitation or bad behaviour of any kind.

It would make sense that somehow the machine did not load a past software upgrade......WHY NOT???????? I have to ask, what is the difference between malware, and omission of necessary upgrades to keep things working. The end result is the same, no function. Both are deliberate actions that result an unhappy customer. We are continuing to attempt to get DTV technical support to assist us, with no effective solution or resolution so far, but I am not giving up.. I suppose if we have to abandon the T60 we wil, but I am not happy about the lack of advanced search and scheduling functions in the DTV boxes....Once you live with Tivo for a decade, it gets to be the performance standard that one expects. This forum is all about that! Tivo RULES the way TV via calbe or Sat should be viewed.The cheaper to run DTV branded boxes just don't do what Tivo does...we LOVE the way Tivo searches and schedules..period end of game, it is the BEST. lI just don't relish the extra cost involved to move on..plus I don't mind Standard Definition...MPEG4, the new so called HD compression is lower res than BluRay [ BD ] disc so why bother......If we want to watch a movie in the highest resolutiuon possible we use a hot-rodded BluRay player with a direct feed via a single, short, HDMI cable. If we end up having to move on, the only DTV/Tivo alternative is to pay for DTVs MPEG4 service that I don't really need. It is not quite real HIGH resolution, but better than SD for sure..but entirely un-necessary for this viewer.

Oh well...back to to the battle with DTV to get the proper updates going, or to move up and make yet another assault on the bank account to keept the Tivo experience going....Just not interested in the limited function of the DTV brand boxes....

Sorry for my rant....but I am frustrated as can be over this fiasco....We DON"T cheat any service provider in any way..we pay the bills ON TIME and IN FULL and we subscribe to some of the premium channel services too....In the end I am just totally disapointed with DTV treating a long term customer that diligently pays their way so poorly....If we ran our company this way, we would have gone bankrupt long ago. After having paid DTV many many thousands of dollars, well over $13,000 over the years, It is my belief that they could show a little more effort to keep us happy and functioning with our perfectly operating Tivo hardware.

Last edited by notanonymus : 05-04-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #13
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Just a data point... I have a couple of Philips DSR6000s, the ugly cousin of the T60.

One is running the latest software version (3.5d, which I got in June 2008) and that reboots properly with no issues. The other is running 3.5c (which I got in September 2007), and I haven't been able to try a reboot test on that one yet. Also, I believe 3.5b was released in March of 2007 to address the DST changes and I'm guessing this version won't reboot cleanly.

If I remember correctly, 3.5c was released to address whatever change to the datastream was causing programs to not record at the time. There was never a consensus with 3.5d, but one theory was that it was to enforce 24 hour ppv expiration. So basically, I'm hoping that my 3.5c unit will also start up cleanly.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:53 AM   #14
IBEmerson

I see that my T60 software is out of date. I'll see if I can run updatesoftware.itcl manually and see what the error is. I may have modified it a long time ago and messed it up. I changed it to copy over my rc.sysinit.author so I wouldn't lose Telnet when it updated...

IBEmerson
Old 05-05-2012, 03:04 AM   #15
notanonymus

We are about to download a new ISO file to burn a Tivo operating system into a fresh hard-drive, from DVRupgrade.com ....I have instructed the Tivo to update, but it is 'saying" that it is, and the drive passes diagnostic tests, and the self diagnostics SAY it is successfully phoning home, but the OS version is remaining unchanged. !!

We have deciced to force the issue and get a fresh OS and fresh hard drive..Options are to buy a pre-configured hard drive, or buy [ less espensive ] the ISO image of the OS and load our own drive. We have some almost new hard drives of the right type, so are going to do a 'heart transplant' and see what happens...If it still fails, then we are only out the cost if the ISO download, and can re format the drive for some other use. If it works..good, but it will be not for any help from DirecTV.....no help at all from them, EVERTHING we have been learinig is from public forums and emails with private busienss invlved in DVR mods and service.

Standby for news in a few days, perhaps sooner,,,,
Old 05-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #16
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo View Post
Just a data point... I have a couple of Philips DSR6000s, the ugly cousin of the T60.

One is running the latest software version (3.5d, which I got in June 2008) and that reboots properly with no issues. The other is running 3.5c (which I got in September 2007), and I haven't been able to try a reboot test on that one yet. Also, I believe 3.5b was released in March of 2007 to address the DST changes and I'm guessing this version won't reboot cleanly.

If I remember correctly, 3.5c was released to address whatever change to the datastream was causing programs to not record at the time. There was never a consensus with 3.5d, but one theory was that it was to enforce 24 hour ppv expiration. So basically, I'm hoping that my 3.5c unit will also start up cleanly.
Well, 3.5c doesn't boot cleanly like 3.5d does (it complains about missing channels), but it does boot and the few channels that I tried work fine. I don't have locals though, so not sure about that. I forced a phone call and no software update appeared, so it looks like I better take a backup of my 3.5d DRS6000 to have on hand just in case.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #17
IBEmerson

I didn't get to run the updatesoftware program, but I was given a SAT T60 that was recently decommissioned, changed cards, and it booted fine. It has 3.5d.

Thanks for all your help

Hamsterman
Old 05-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #18
palmheel

Original model SD-DVR40, which I upgraded with bigger HD back in the days, I forgot how, never skipped a beat till yesterday, does not go boot pass 60% on acquiring Sat information. Tried everything even left it on for 48 hrs got up to 64%.
palmheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #19
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo View Post
Well, 3.5c doesn't boot cleanly like 3.5d does (it complains about missing channels), but it does boot and the few channels that I tried work fine. I don't have locals though, so not sure about that. I forced a phone call and no software update appeared, so it looks like I better take a backup of my 3.5d DRS6000 to have on hand just in case.
Ugh, my DSR6000 running 3.5d has a few unreadable sectors on the hard disk that MFSLive and dd_rescue backups complained about. Man, I wish DirecTV would enable the 3.5d download so I could get a clean 3.5d backup of my other DSR6000.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #20
notanonymus

One way or another it looks like we all need to be at version 3.5c at the very least, and better, 3.5d.......We are in the middle of a an Instantcake firmware/sofftware [ DVRupgrade.com] process to "build" a new hard drive from scratch...It should have the latest, or near the latest software version, AND if there are any inhibitions on an old system to emulate calling home for updates, but not really doing so, then that goes away too allowing 100% up to date legal and current functions....

Of course I'll let everyone know how it went after it goes....
Old 05-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #21
SkipPi

add another stuck on loading

my DSR6000 just recently went into the stuck at 70%

my software version is 3.1.0

it has been constantly connect to the phone line

Can I force it to upgrade the software?

I have made daily calls and saw downloading ect.

but the software version never changes.

How do I get the 3.5d upgrade??

will a hard drive replacement from
weaknees come with the newest version?
SkipPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #22
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipPi View Post
my DSR6000 just recently went into the stuck at 70%

my software version is 3.1.0

it has been constantly connect to the phone line

Can I force it to upgrade the software?

I have made daily calls and saw downloading ect.

but the software version never changes.

How do I get the 3.5d upgrade??

will a hard drive replacement from
weaknees come with the newest version?
I have my 3.5c box dialing in and it hasn't downloaded 3.5d either. I would assume that a Weaknees drive would come with 3.5d since it was released almost four years ago, but I would ask them before buying to confirm. And while 3.5c seems to be working for now, I don't even know if I have a valid 3.5d backup until I get a working sata adapter so I can test it out.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #23
SkipPi

thanks for the quick reply

do you know if I can force a software upgrade
or
am I in the toilet spiral

of being forced into purchasing a new HD
Old 05-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #24
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipPi View Post
thanks for the quick reply

do you know if I can force a software upgrade
or
am I in the toilet spiral

of being forced into purchasing a new HD
Unless DirecTV re-enables the 3.5d download you'd either need to buy a drive with 3.5d on it or acquire an image from a friend or buy InstantCake and image the drive yourself.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #25
nmiller855

I was out of town this weekend so the first hint of a problem was that Amazing Race did not record & said it was no longer in the guide. I didn't think to check out the channels until I noticed this morning that the local news didn't record. I'm missing 4 local channels. 2 of them show up on the channel list but the screen goes blank when I try to watch them.
I posted about this in the Directv thread.
The tech support guy had me do the regular reset & everything worked fine until he told me to do a guided setup. I asked him if he was sure that I needed to do that because it takes a while. I got stuck on Please Wait with the clock. After 5 minutes the "expert" that has been there 4 years & knows nothing about TiVos told me that proves my unit is bad. Really??? It was working fine just missing some channels before you told me to do the guded set up. He recommended that I upgrade with a new unit & said he could not spend any more time on the phone with me. It is still stuck.
nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #26
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Try this.

Disconnect the satellite cables.
Power cycle the box
When it gets to "searching for satellite", press the TiVo button
Hook it up to a phone line and have it make a call.
Reconnect the satellite feeds
Restart the box
Old 05-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #27
SkipPi

Thanks Hepdaddy
Funny how all these hard drives bit the big one
so close in time.

Now I have another issue.
Maybe I should start my own thread?

I read where reruning the sat setup might
cure the fault.

Up to now I could watch the programs I had recorded
but

the restart is frozen and I can not get to the now playing list

pushing the TiVo button does nothing but make it BOOM

How do I get to the TiVo screen?

It also sticks at the 28%
and to get past it I must disconnect the sats
and start over.

Plugging them back in after the warning

It still will not let me get to the TiVo central

please see post stuck on guided setup

Last edited by SkipPi : 05-08-2012 at 06:58 PM. Reason: update on new thread
Old 05-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #28
SkipPi

Thanks Steve but that does not work on my box.

see above post

Plus when I had it in TiVo central I did make it call
Old 05-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #29
nmiller855

Thanks, Stevel, I had forgotten about that method. Unfortunately, I can't even get to the searching for satellite screen. When it tries to boot up it is already in the guided setup at the first screen & I can't go back. Is there a way to get it to boot the regular way & not go to the guided setup?

I finally got it past that point by trying it several more time. When everything was restored, the 5 missing local channels were still missing. It wierd because 2 of them show up in the guide but have blank screens & the other 4 aren't listed.

Last edited by nmiller855 : 05-08-2012 at 11:38 PM.
nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #30
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
If you're in Guided Setup, it has to complete before you can do anything.