TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
Jorel

Premiere not seen on my series two

I recently bought a TiVo Premiere. I already have 2 TiVo Series 2 DVRs. I have them all connected to my LAN. In the my shows list of my Premiere I can see the two Series 2 DVRs, in the now playing list of my series 2 DVRs I can see the other Series 2 but cannot see the premiere. Additionally the TiVo app on my android smart phone does not see the Premiere. It scans for boxes and picks up the series 2s but not the premiere. Is any one else having this problem? It seems to me to be a software compatibility issue between series 2 and premiere. The premiere is hardwired, one the the series 2s is hardwired and the other one is WiFi.
Jorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

It sounds like transfers were not yet enabled. Go to tivo.com and log into your account, Under DVR Preferences, check the boxes for TRANSFERS and DOWNLOADS. Have all the Tivos connect to Tivo service. They should soon have a Media Access Key.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
Jorel

All boxes are checked. I would think that if the premiere was not checked it would not see the series two boxes. The part that puzzles me the most is that the premiere can see the other boxes but they cannot see the premiere. Also that the android app does not see the premiere. I have done all the trouble shooting steps. Even opened ports on my router, as TiVo suggested, even though I know it should not matter for a LAN issue. There is no firewall on a LAN. The ports should only matter for going out to the WAN. Perhaps it is software incompatibility or some defect in the premiere NIC. It would be simpler if the premiere did not see any boxes as well. but the fact that it can see boxes and I can transfer from those boxes to the premiere but not the other way is very frustrating and confusing.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorel View Post
All boxes are checked. I would think that if the premiere was not checked it would not see the series two boxes. The part that puzzles me the most is that the premiere can see the other boxes but they cannot see the premiere. Also that the android app does not see the premiere. I have done all the trouble shooting steps. Even opened ports on my router, as TiVo suggested, even though I know it should not matter for a LAN issue. There is no firewall on a LAN. The ports should only matter for going out to the WAN. Perhaps it is software incompatibility or some defect in the premiere NIC. It would be simpler if the premiere did not see any boxes as well. but the fact that it can see boxes and I can transfer from those boxes to the premiere but not the other way is very frustrating and confusing.
Find the menu that contains the System Information listing.

There should also be a listing in that menu for Media Key

Open that and see if the same number is present as is on the other TiVo(s).

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
bshrock

Can any DVR/PC see the Premiere?

Get the IP address from the Premiere you can find it in Settings - Network

open your browser on your PC and enter the IP.

Example: my premiere's ip is 192.168.1.04 I enter http://192.168.1.04 in the browser and that opens the congratulations page of the DVR.

Does you cable co use MoCA? You may have a conflict between MoCA and the local Network. Again look in the Premieres settings -> Network configuration if MoCA is enabled disable it.

You may just have to re-boot the entire network starting with the routers and switches then all three DVR's
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
Jorel

My PC can see the premiere. I typed the IP into a browser and got the congrats.

Media access keys match.

Not sure about MoCA. I went to settings> network and phone> view network status. I did not see any mention of MoCA in there.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
HomeUser

I think only the Premiere XL4 has MoCA.

Have you rebooted the entire network yet?
Old 06-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshrock View Post
Can any DVR/PC see the Premiere?

Get the IP address from the Premiere you can find it in Settings - Network

open your browser on your PC and enter the IP.

Example: my premiere's ip is 192.168.1.04 I enter http://192.168.1.04 in the browser and that opens the congratulations page of the DVR.

Does you cable co use MoCA? You may have a conflict between MoCA and the local Network. Again look in the Premieres settings -> Network configuration if MoCA is enabled disable it.

You may just have to re-boot the entire network starting with the routers and switches then all three DVR's
why would Moca matter if it's a regular premiere?
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:13 AM   #9
bshrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
why would Moca matter if it's a regular premiere?
It doesn't, MoCA is available on the Premiere XL4 only.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
Jorel

Yes I have rebooted and no changes. The strangest thing is that about 1 month after the latest premiere software upgrade I rebooted all my boxes and it worked. I could see the premiere on my series 2 and the android app. This happened while the internet was down on Comcast's side. It worked for about 1 hour. When the internet came up I had to reboot the modem and router to get be able to connect to the internet. After that the premiere could not be seen. I have tried to repeat the situation by disconnecting the coax cable to simulate an internet outage, reboot the router etc. but could not get it to appear again.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #11
bshrock

What routers / switches /Hubs are used in your network?
Did you power restart all of them?

Are all the TiVo IP addresses local IP addresses? (192.168.1.???)
Old 06-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #12
Jorel

for trouble shooting purposes I have eliminated 1 hub and one router that is set up to be an access point. Leaving the only router a Linksys.

Yes all IP addresses are non-routable local addresses. If there was an issue with the IP address then the premiere should not see the other devices. Again the strange thing is that the premiere can see the series 2 but the series 2 cannot see the premiere. This continues even after eliminating any additional hub or access point. How is it possible for the premier to see the the series 2 but the series 2 cannot see the premiere? This is why I think it is software incompatibility. The premiere OS is newer and can see the series 2 OS. But the series 2 OS was made before the premiere OS and if there has not been an update for it to be able to communicate with the premiere then that would explain it. I was really hoping more people out there would be having the same problem.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #13
unitron

Quote:
for trouble shooting purposes I have eliminated 1 hub and one router that is set up to be an access point. Leaving the only router a Linksys.

Yes all IP addresses are non-routable local addresses. If there was an issue with the IP address then the premiere should not see the other devices. Again the strange thing is that the premiere can see the series 2 but the series 2 cannot see the premiere. This continues even after eliminating any additional hub or access point. How is it possible for the premier to see the the series 2 but the series 2 cannot see the premiere? This is why I think it is software incompatibility. The premiere OS is newer and can see the series 2 OS. But the series 2 OS was made before the premiere OS and if there has not been an update for it to be able to communicate with the premiere then that would explain it. I was really hoping more people out there would be having the same problem.
It can't hurt and might help to give all of your TiVos and everything else on your home network that doesn't travel a fixed IP address and then set your router's DHCP pool of handout-able addresses to some other part of .2-.254

Old 06-26-2012, 08:10 PM   #14
gardavis

I have the same problem. My Premier sees my TivoHD and my TivoS2 but the TivoHD can only see the S2 and the S2 can only see the HD.

I really don't need the missing connectivity - I run pyTivo on a PC server and all three see that connection and that's usually where I "pull" shows from.

I think that in the past, there were times I noticed the Premier show up on the HD or S2 but I never really investigated the issue.

I saw this posting and said "Hey - that sounds familiar".

Gary Davis
gardavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #15
Jorel

All my Tivos have static IP addresses that are outside my routers DHCP pool.

Gary,

Thanks for your post. At least I know I am not alone in this. Also it convinces me even more that it is software incompatibility.

Any one else out there with this problem?
Old 06-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #16
unitron

Quote:
All my Tivos have static IP addresses that are outside my routers DHCP pool.

Gary,

Thanks for your post. At least I know I am not alone in this. Also it convinces me even more that it is software incompatibility.

Any one else out there with this problem?
And a computer on your network can ping any and all of your TiVos?

(Of course it's a stupid question, that's my specialty)

Old 06-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #17
Jorel

Maybe not so stupid. after your post I tested out pinging my premiere and series 2. I can ping the series 2 but cannot ping the premiere. However I was able to ping the premiere prior to this test. the premier can get out to the internet and can see the series 2 but when i ping it it says host unreachable. This may be my first clue as to what may be happening here. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:55 AM   #18
unitron

Quote:
Maybe not so stupid. after your post I tested out pinging my premiere and series 2. I can ping the series 2 but cannot ping the premiere. However I was able to ping the premiere prior to this test. the premier can get out to the internet and can see the series 2 but when i ping it it says host unreachable. This may be my first clue as to what may be happening here. Thanks.
That's the other first rule of troubleshooting, answer all of the stupid questions first.

Here's a thought.

Go into the menus and give that Premiere a different fixed IP from the one it has now, and see if it can find the network when it does all that stuff it does when you set up network stuff on it.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #19
Jorel

I got it to ping again without changing any IP. I originally had the premiere connected to a hub that was then connected to the router. I was able to ping it. In order to simplify things for troubleshooting purposes I took the hub out of the equation and connected straight up to the router. For some reason I could not ping it when it was connected to the router. I changed it back to the hub and now I can ping it again. However nothing has changed. Even when I could not ping it the premiere was able to see the series 2 and get out to the internet. Is there a way to ping from a series 2 TiVo? My next step is to take a lap top and connect to the patch cable running to the series 2 and try to ping from there.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #20
Jorel

I took my laptop and ran 2 pings. The first one by connecting wireless and the second hard wired. The hardwired ping was done from the location where my series 2 is plugged in. In both tests I was able to ping the premiere successfully.

The problem is that I noticed at first I could not ping the premiere. I then tried the pinging from where I had been able to before and could not ping the premiere from there either. Apparently every so often the premiere becomes un-pingable. I first noticed this when unitron asked if I could ping my tivos. So before answering I tried to ping and it failed. I thought it was because I changed the connection from the hub to the router, because when I put it back to the hub I was able to ping. It turns out that no matter how I have it plugged in it will become un-pingable from time to time. If I unplug the Ethernet cord from the router or hub for a minute or so, then plug it back in, I can ping the premiere again. Note that while the premiere is un-pingable it can still get out to the internet and still see the series 2 boxes. Not sure what to do at this point.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #21
HomeUser

Im lost now.. Can you describe your home network including the model numbers of the routers, switches and Hubs.

I am thinking what you are describing as a Hub is actually a NAT router.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #22
Jorel

Starting from comcast cable in to comcast modem. Modem > Linksys BEFSR41v4 router all located on my second floor in the office. Flow on second floor > the Linksys router > Netgear Ethernet Hub EN104> premiere in MBR. 1st floor flow in LR. From Linksys router in 2nd floor office > Netgear wireless router WNR 2000 (acting as access point) > sereis 2 TiVo hard wired and also a second series 2 wireless. That is all that is germain to this issue.

Currently I have changed up the connection and eliminated the Netgear Hub so on the second floor everything is connected to the Linksys router only.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #23
bshrock

If you have not already update the firmware on the Linksys http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/w...FSR41/download. Probably not related I had problems accessing my NAS storage on the local network and FTP outside a firmware update cured it. I had the Version 2.0 model purchased back in the early 2000's.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #24
unitron

Quote:
I recently bought a TiVo Premiere. I already have 2 TiVo Series 2 DVRs. I have them all connected to my LAN. In the my shows list of my Premiere I can see the two Series 2 DVRs, in the now playing list of my series 2 DVRs I can see the other Series 2 but cannot see the premiere. Additionally the TiVo app on my android smart phone does not see the Premiere. It scans for boxes and picks up the series 2s but not the premiere. Is any one else having this problem? It seems to me to be a software compatibility issue between series 2 and premiere. The premiere is hardwired, one the the series 2s is hardwired and the other one is WiFi.
Take a look at this guy's problem

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=489266

and see if you see any similarities.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #25
HomeUser

I think the problem is with the Netgear WNR 2000 can you temporary replace it with the Netgear HUB? At least for the wired Series2
Old 07-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #26
Jorel

I would agree with you HomeUser and that is what I thought at first. So for troubleshooting purposes I eliminated the Netgear WNR 2000 as well as the ethernet hub EN104. So I had the premiere and one of my series 2 connected to my Linksys router with nothing in between and this did not fix the problem.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #27
HomeUser

Wow, Maybe Bshrock is on to something with the Linksys firmware update. Have you done anything special in the Linksys settings? I am assuming the Linksys router is the NAT, DNS and DHCP server.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #28
Jorel

The linksys is a small home router. I do not think it has NAT functionality. DHCP doesn't apply as the tivos have static IPs that are outside the DHCP range of the router. I am going to try upgrading the firmware. However most of the updating probably affects routing to the WAN. The LAN should be a more simple pass through. I am tempted to try a switch and connect everything through the switch. That way all LAN traffic would not even go through the router.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #29
Jorel

Oops I guess I am wrong. My router does have NAT
Old 07-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #30
HomeUser

Quote:
I am tempted to try a switch and connect everything through the switch. That way all LAN traffic would not even go through the router.
Because they all have fixed IP's you can eliminate problems in routing by using the HUB for all the DVR's then replace the hub with the routers.