TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-01-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
IDSmoker

Firefly marathon on SCIENCE!?!?

Just came across this marathon of Firefly today, and thought I'd ask if anyone could tell me why it's running on the SCIENCE channel?

Still looks great in hi-def, no matter what channel it's on!
Old 10-01-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Science got the rights to the series a while ago, so this is nothing new. They probably figured it would be a good way to stretch their audience a little bit. Plus, there were things that they did on Firefly that were more "realistic" than other sci-fi shows, so from that aspect it sort of fits in.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
astrohip
Stuart F

BUMP for another marathon. From TVline...

Saturday, Nov 26 (TG weekend):

Firefly (Science Channel, 9 am – 8 pm) | Take to the skies with Mal, Wash, River and the rest of the gang.

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Does any of this matter to anyone here? I mean, don't all the Firefly fans already own this on DVD or BluRay or download or something?

Hell, I'm FAR being like the rabid fans here, but even I own the whole series via Amazon Video on demand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:11 AM   #5
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
Does any of this matter to anyone here? I mean, don't all the Firefly fans already own this on DVD or BluRay or download or something?

Hell, I'm FAR being like the rabid fans here, but even I own the whole series via Amazon Video on demand.
There's still something nice about having it delivered to you just by changing the channel, without having to stream it or pull out the DVD/BluRay.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:13 AM   #6
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
There's still something nice about having it delivered to you just by changing the channel, without having to stream it or pull out the DVD/BluRay.
But then you have to schedule your day around it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

It matters to me as I have yet to see the show even though I've promised multiple times I will check it out.
photoshopgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:22 AM   #8
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
It matters to me as I have yet to see the show even though I've promised multiple times I will check it out.
Same here. I actually recorded a marathon a few years ago but they got deleted before I watched them. I'll get 'em this time though...if I don't forget.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:34 PM   #9
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
I kept reading about it here too, but also never got around to actually watching it. Then a fellow TCF'er (no names for fear everyone will bug him) loaned me his newly arrived Blue-Ray DVDs (even before HE watched them).

After the first couple episodes, I was hooked. After a couple more, I was addicted. By the end, I was depressed, knowing there wouldn't be any more.

Absolutely fantastic series. Worth your time.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:43 PM   #10
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
Same here. I actually recorded a marathon a few years ago but they got deleted before I watched them. I'll get 'em this time though...if I don't forget.
Wow.. I thought I was the last TCFer to see the TV series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I kept reading about it here too, but also never got around to actually watching it. Then a fellow TCF'er (no names for fear everyone will bug him) loaned me his newly arrived Blue-Ray DVDs (even before HE watched them).

After the first couple episodes, I was hooked. After a couple more, I was addicted. By the end, I was depressed, knowing there wouldn't be any more.

Absolutely fantastic series. Worth your time.

I was vaguely aware of the show when it ran, but didn't experience any of it until the Serenity movie came out. I saw that. I liked it But never watched the show until I got my TiVo premiere last year and decided on a whim that I should try out Amazon on Demand by buying Firefly.

I watched it all. And it was a really well done show.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:44 PM   #11
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Quote:
Watch it!!! You will enjoy it!

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:10 PM   #12
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
Watch it!!! You will enjoy it!
I know! I'm sure I will as I have mad love for Alan Tudyk ever since I saw him in A Knight's Tale then Dollhouse.
photoshopgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:12 AM   #13
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Remember there's no spoilers tag here.

Don't give away how Firefly ends.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:39 PM   #14
wprager

Quote:
I know! I'm sure I will as I have mad love for Alan Tudyk ever since I saw him in A Knight's Tale then Dollhouse.
I will fong you, until your insides are out, your outsides are in, your entrails will become your extrails.

Still one of my favorite movies of all time. You can also check him out on Suburgatory. He's also a half decent tweeter @alan_tudyk.
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:07 PM   #15
ct1

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Remember there's no spoilers tag here.

Don't give away how Firefly ends.
I am a leaf on the wind

Spoiler:
See how I soar..

ct1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:33 PM   #16
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct1 View Post
I am a leaf on the wind

Spoiler:
See Watch how I soar..
FYP.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:52 AM   #17
astrohip
Stuart F

ANOTHER Firefly marathon...

From TVLine.com
http://www.tvline.com/2011/12/christ...ns-specials/3/
Quote:
Firefly (Science Channel, Dec 25 9 am – Monday, 6 am) | So you don’t drive a sleigh — big deal! Take me away, anyway, Captain Mal!
(Not sure why so many hours?)
Old 12-22-2011, 11:39 AM   #18
janry

Never watched it before but I guess I'll record the marathon and give it a shot. Looking at my TiVo guide and comparing to the internet episode guide, you'd think a couple of episodes won't be in the maraton but those episodes are listed in the guide on the Science channel's website so I set TiVo to record all including duplicates.

Edit: see post I made below. One episide is not listed in either schedule.

Last edited by janry : 12-25-2011 at 07:41 PM.
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #19
kettledrum

Too bad I'm OTA only. This show is on my list of shows I'd like to see.
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #20
janry

Though Tivo's guide data and Science Channel's schedule are inconsistent, neither list the 10th episide, War Stories, as being shown.

Any reason they are leaving it out?
Old 12-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #21
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by janry View Post
Though Tivo's guide data and Science Channel's schedule are inconsistent, neither list the 10th episide, War Stories, as being shown.

Any reason they are leaving it out?
Spoiler:
Isn't that the one where both Wash and Mel are horribly tortured and Mal is (if Simon hadn't been around...and some borrowed equipment) permanently disfigured?

I'm guessing they somehow felt it wasn't in the spirit of the observed holiday?

Old 12-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #22
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post

I'll chime in here with LoadStar.

There's still something about watching a show when it's actually airing.

Maybe it's that you know that SOMEWHERE there are other people, even other fans, watching it with you at the same time.

There are plenty of shows I've recorded or (*gasp*) bought the DVDs to that I still prefer watching when they air on TV. Funny, but true.

What kills me about this marathon was that they did one a while back (forget what holiday) where they ran all but the last few episodes. Shortly after that I finally broke down and bought both the series and the movie SERENITY on DVD.

A few days later the listings showed this marathon, which included the missing episodes.

I could'a kicked myself, since I'd recorded everything from the last marathon, and only needed the last few. (SERENITY aired this month on SyFy, also recorded.)

Old 12-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #23
Vendikarr

I have this series on DVD and marathon it probably twice a year.

And yet I still sat and watched a couple of my favorites just because I can't resist. 'Jaynestown' kills me every time.
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:04 PM   #24
WhiskeyTango

I caught the marathon on Thanksgiving. Last episode watched was the Gold Heart episode, with the whore house. I have "Objects in Space", "Trash", & " The Message" left. Is that the right order? I have to say, if this were a new show, it would be my favorite of the new season. It has an all time nerd cast. Nathan Fillion, Morena Baccarhin, Jewel Staite, Adam Baldwin, Summer Glau, etc. Now I get what all the hype was. I actually bailed on FF during it's initial run, big mistake.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:44 AM   #25
astrohip
Stuart F

Here is the episode list. You can see the intended order--left-most column--and the aired order (column #4).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg firefly.jpg (183.2 KB, 117 views)
Old 12-29-2011, 09:42 AM   #26
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip
Here is the episode list. You can see the intended order--left-most column--and the aired order (column #4).
Looking at that list always makes me mad and sad.

And just to clarify, the 1st episode "Serenity" is not the same as the movie. The movie should be viewed last.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:58 AM   #27
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
Looking at that list always makes me mad and sad.

And just to clarify, the 1st episode "Serenity" is not the same as the movie. The movie should be viewed last.
Good to know. I recorded and burned the movie a few years ago but still haven't watched it yet. I assumed the movie and Serenity were the same...gotta go find what I did with that DVD.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:28 AM   #28
nirisahn

Just watched the whole thing on Netflix streaming. Netflix has them numbered in the correct order for watching.

I love the Netflix interface on my new blu-ray player. When one episode finished, it automatically jumped to the next one in the list and all I had to do was hit play. I didn't watch them all in one day. When I logged in the second day of watching, it already had the episode I needed selected in the list.
nirisahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #29
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Good to know. I recorded and burned the movie a few years ago but still haven't watched it yet. I assumed the movie and Serenity were the same...gotta go find what I did with that DVD.
The broadcast versions of (the movie) Serenity get pretty edited to fit into a 2 hour broadcast block. The pacing IMO gets a bit screwed up. It's not horrible, but it's a bit better in the original cinematic form.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #30
janry

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
The broadcast versions of (the movie) Serenity get pretty edited to fit into a 2 hour broadcast block. The pacing IMO gets a bit screwed up. It's not horrible, but it's a bit better in the original cinematic form.
Looks like SyFy channel is airing the movie on Jan. 2 & 3. They show it to be 2 1/2 hours though that includes commmercials I'm sure. IMBd says the movie is 119 minutes. I'm guessing SyFy would be cutting about 10 minutes of the original move.

Does that sound about right?