TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-26-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
mrbenjie

$10 Amazon gift card for correct answer

I tried to get help finding a remote code for my DTA converter box before, but got no replies ...

I'm willing to buy a $10 Amazon gift eCard (will send to your email address) for the first person who can provide me with a code that will work consistently enough so my Series 2 TiVo can record correct channels.

Offer good for a few days, but if it takes too long, will post a cancellation in this thread and just buy a different model converter from eBay (any recommendations?).

Here's the deal (from previous post):

Digital TV converter box, model AccessHD DTA1080. Need remote code.

DETAILS:

TiVo (Series 2) has a listing for Access, and 3 codes to choose from, but none change the channel correctly. (Will change okay to a 1 digit-something channel like 7-1 but NOT to a double digit like 28-3.)

Have tried troubleshooting with TiVo support and changing options (there is an advanced setting for 1 or 2 digits) but still does the same thing.

NOT a problem with IR cable (tested extensively) or the box or it's native remote (tested extensively and work fine).

Just looks like the ACCESS code is incorrect for this particular model.

I have tried the feature where you cycle through a zillion codes but that didn't work, or I did it wrong, or lacked the patience if I was supposed to try a few thousand more.

Correct answer is NOT to tell me to try searching for a few hours. Just want a code.

Does anyone have it?!

Thanks!
mrbenjie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:47 PM   #2
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbenjie View Post
I tried to get help finding a remote code for my DTA converter box before, but got no replies ...

I'm willing to buy a $10 Amazon gift eCard (will send to your email address) for the first person who can provide me with a code that will work consistently enough so my Series 2 TiVo can record correct channels.

Offer good for a few days, but if it takes too long, will post a cancellation in this thread and just buy a different model converter from eBay (any recommendations?).

Here's the deal (from previous post):

Digital TV converter box, model AccessHD DTA1080. Need remote code.

DETAILS:

TiVo (Series 2) has a listing for Access, and 3 codes to choose from, but none change the channel correctly. (Will change okay to a 1 digit-something channel like 7-1 but NOT to a double digit like 28-3.)

Have tried troubleshooting with TiVo support and changing options (there is an advanced setting for 1 or 2 digits) but still does the same thing.

NOT a problem with IR cable (tested extensively) or the box or it's native remote (tested extensively and work fine).

Just looks like the ACCESS code is incorrect for this particular model.

I have tried the feature where you cycle through a zillion codes but that didn't work, or I did it wrong, or lacked the patience if I was supposed to try a few thousand more.

Correct answer is NOT to tell me to try searching for a few hours. Just want a code.

Does anyone have it?!

Thanks!
If I could help I would without any reward, you should not have to pay for help on this form.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:10 AM   #3
True Colors

this is a shot in the dark, but least one person thinks that the code is 1676

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1315000/ac...-the-tv-off-on

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:12 AM   #4
mrbenjie

Thanks, just checked that but looks like it's probably for a universal remote.

TiVo codes seem to be 5 digit, from what I can tell when I go in the menu. (Doesn't work.)
Old 07-27-2012, 07:04 AM   #5
ggieseke

The official code for that box is 10094 (A, B or C). A is the fastest and C is the slowest as far as channel changing is concerned, but slower is usually more reliable. If it doesn't like A, try B. If that doesn't help try C.

Tape the emitter(s) directly over the IR sensor on the converter box and then cover the entire sensor window with tin foil or electrician's tape to exclude any other light sources. TiVo calls that "tenting" the box and it can really improve reliability.

Also play around with the original remote before you tent it to determine the best settings for number of digits to send and whether it needs an Enter at the end.

There are 3 other codes (10103, 99966 & 99973) in the database that use the same IR format. In a perfect world they would all be clean codes and identical to each other, but TiVo used a Philips Pronto TSU-1000 universal remote to capture them and didn't post-process the learned codes very much. One of them may work better than 10094.

When using the Advanced option to set the code manually, DON'T let it run its channel changing tests or it will pick the speed etc on its own. Just save your changes and try it out yourself.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
If I could help I would without any reward, you should not have to pay for help on this form.
+1

And furthermore, disclosing your email address to a stranger for $10 (which there is no guarantee you will actually receive) is not a good idea.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:37 AM   #7
mrbenjie

Thanks for the advice and extra codes!

I tried tenting and it DID seem to improve the reliability on the channels it DOES work with (the single digit channels and sometimes ones under 20) -- but for some reason it drops the first digit on anything higher than 20 (ie - channel 28-4 switches to 8-4)

... or on other codes it adds in a 0 for some reason (as in 8-04 which it doesn't understand so channel doesn't change or I wind up on one I didn't intend :-( None seem to work... so still looking for an answer.

Always smart to be careful re privacy, so I do understand the concern :-) -- but I'm just trying to save the $30 or so (what it will cost on eBay with shipping) I'd spend to buy a box that DOES work with my TiVo. Thought offering some incentive was a smarter (and cheaper) solution :-)
Old 07-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl
+1

And furthermore, disclosing your email address to a stranger for $10 (which there is no guarantee you will actually receive) is not a good idea.
There are disposable email addresses. Take a look at yahoo email premium or at&t email.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #9
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
There are disposable email addresses. Take a look at yahoo email premium or at&t email.
But if someone emails me an Amazon gift certificate at a disposable email address, can I add it to my Amazon account (which is tied to my normal email address)?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
MikeD99
Leesburg, VA

you mean FIRST correct answer, right?

Mike D.
MikeD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #11
cannonz

If you do have the emmiter right against converters eye try moving it a inch or !/2'' away from it.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:03 PM   #12
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
But if someone emails me an Amazon gift certificate at a disposable email address, can I add it to my Amazon account (which is tied to my normal email address)?
yes as long as the code is valid
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #13
smokebreak

Just so I understand correctly here...

On the TiVo IR remote, you press:
Number 2 key
Number 8 key
ADVANCE key (for the dash)
Number 4 key

And what you end up with is either 8-4 or 8-04?

Have you tried a different TiVo remote?
smokebreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:14 AM   #14
mrbenjie

Offer no more -- now I need a box :-(

Problem isn't with the TiVo remote, since have 2 of them and both have the same problem, plus changes channels (incorrectly) with the IR emitters in the same way.

Doesn't look like a code exists to make this box work, so I'm going to have to withdraw the offer (like I said I would at the top of the post) so I can go ahead and buy a different box (sigh.)

Any good recommendations on a box that WILL play nice with the TiVo IR emitters -- and won't get as hot as a BBQ grill?!

(The AccessHD could be used to fry eggs if you don't flip it upside down; some genius designed it with the air vents on the BOTTOM, so all the heat leaks out and up back into the device.)
Old 08-02-2012, 01:32 AM   #15
cannonz

Spend the little extra and get a Channel Master.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #16
mrbenjie

Thanks, but from looking on Amazon, looks like the Channel Master is a LOT more :-( Cheapest I saw was $130 for a used one.

I'm more in the $20-30 range.

Anybody had any success with using a universal remote with any DTV converter boxes that play nice with TiVo? I see a lot of ones for sale on eBay for reasonable prices (around $20) where people have lost the remotes (RCA, Magnavox, Insignia) but don't know A) which would work okay with TiVo and B) which could be used with universal remote.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #17
cannonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbenjie View Post
Thanks, but from looking on Amazon, looks like the Channel Master is a LOT more :-( Cheapest I saw was $130 for a used one.

I'm more in the $20-30 range.

Anybody had any success with using a universal remote with any DTV converter boxes that play nice with TiVo? I see a lot of ones for sale on eBay for reasonable prices (around $20) where people have lost the remotes (RCA, Magnavox, Insignia) but don't know A) which would work okay with TiVo and B) which could be used with universal remote.
I think there only like $60 on channel master's site, the Insignia/Zenith is pretty good too.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #18
cannonz

You might have been looking at the 7001 you want the CM7000.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #19
cannonz

$90 on their site should be able to find used on ebay. http://www.channelmasterstore.com/Se...Boxes_s/27.htm