TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
ADG
Allan
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,883
Create Folders Manually?

I've seen the old threads on this but wonder if there's anything new. I have a dozen recordings on my pc that I'm going to transfer to an Elite. Is there a way to create a folder in MY SHOWS on the ELITEand have all of the recordings go there?

Thanks in advance.
__________________
Allan
Forum Admin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
rhettf
R3T1CAL
 
rhettf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
I've seen the old threads on this but wonder if there's anything new. I have a dozen recordings on my pc that I'm going to transfer to an Elite. Is there a way to create a folder in MY SHOWS on the ELITEand have all of the recordings go there?

Thanks in advance.
from what I understand you can use kmttg to create a metadata file for each video that tells TiVo to group them into one folder.

I haven't done this myself but have read forum post about kmttg being able to do this, I suggest searching the forum for kmttg and go here:

http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/
__________________
Tivo Roamio Pro + 1TB Expansion + Slingbox.
TiVo iPad & iPhone App.
Tivo Mini
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
ADG
Allan
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,883
Okay, thanks very much for that. Before I do it I'd love to hear from anyone who might have had success (or failure) doing so.
__________________
Allan
Forum Admin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
lpwcomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: John's Creek, Georgia
Posts: 5,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
I've seen the old threads on this but wonder if there's anything new. I have a dozen recordings on my pc that I'm going to transfer to an Elite. Is there a way to create a folder in MY SHOWS on the ELITEand have all of the recordings go there?

Thanks in advance.
What kind of recordings are these? It is possible to create metadata files so that they will be grouped together if you pull them to the Eilte via pyTivo. You could also just put them all in one folder on the PC, create a pyTivo "share" pointing to that folder and the folder would be available in your MY SHOWS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettf View Post
from what I understand you can use kmttg to create a metadata file for each video that tells TiVo to group them into one folder.

I haven't done this myself but have read forum post about kmttg being able to do this, I suggest searching the forum for kmttg and go here:

http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/
That is not one of the functions of kmttg.
__________________
James L. Sutherland
"You know TiVo users. Bunch of b****y little girls" TiVoAxe

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
jrlbc06
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 23
I've done this with pyTivo. The wiki for pyTivo provides some information on how metadata works and using a default.txt file with a series ID to point all recordings in that folder into the same folder on the Tivo
jrlbc06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:53 AM   #6
brian1269
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: TN
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlbc06 View Post
I've done this with pyTivo. The wiki for pyTivo provides some information on how metadata works and using a default.txt file with a series ID to point all recordings in that folder into the same folder on the Tivo
Wouldn't it be nice if TiVo just added this feature, one of several main ones that we have been asking for for years?
brian1269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:29 AM   #7
Series3Sub
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 698
Yes, it is one of the features I use extensively on my Dish DVR, and I think it would be a tremendous feature for TiVo. Looking at the Now Playing list, I think, "hey, I'll create a custom folder for those shows," only to remember on on a TiVo, and think that the engineers at TiVo MUST have thought about such a feature considering how feature rich a TiVo is. This is a pretty good example of the "lack of new innovative features" discussion on many threads on this forum. Now, that Dish has had this feature for years, TiVo probably wants to avoid patent lawsuits, so we may never see it hear.

It just seems that a really powerful feature like custom folders would be in line with the other good and great features of a TiVo, so it stings a bit to think of TiVo's best ideas having been back in 1999. There are quite a number of innovative new features that TiVo could add, but seems NOT interested in doing so.

We can't really count the "TV Everywhere" and streaming client for other rooms as being innovative as this is where the competition has been and is the new reality for all such DVR devices. However, I would gladly welcome a Custom Folder feature in TiVo (obviously TiVo would never support it on older series) any time they would like to ad it.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #8
LoREvanescence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,994
You can also use TiVo Desktops Autopush to create folders. Just have all the videos in one folder on your computer, then create a autopush. What ever you name the auto push will be the name of the folder they get placed in on your tivo.

Word of warning though, anything autopushed will be copy protected with a copy never. Make sure you keep a back up of it on your computer if you ever think you will want to transfer it back.
LoREvanescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:35 AM   #9
ADG
Allan
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoREvanescence View Post
You can also use TiVo Desktops Autopush to create folders. Just have all the videos in one folder on your computer, then create a autopush. What ever you name the auto push will be the name of the folder they get placed in on your tivo.

Word of warning though, anything autopushed will be copy protected with a copy never. Make sure you keep a back up of it on your computer if you ever think you will want to transfer it back.
Can you please explain autopush? This sounds like the easiest solution for me. Thanks much.
__________________
Allan
Forum Admin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #10
Ed_Hunt
Pokerpro
 
Ed_Hunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Patterson, California
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
Can you please explain autopush? This sounds like the easiest solution for me. Thanks much.

Open Tivo Desktop and go to publish Videos. Find the folder on your computer and double click it to open it to Desktop. If you do it as automatically transfer this folder it will transfer any new files you put into it anytime. I do this for all my cable shows as I am only ota and I download all my other shows. It works great, just remember Desktop is very limited in file types it will publish.
__________________
"Luck is the residue of design"
1 S2 Tivo w/lifetime retired
1 HD Tivo Lifetime
1 Roamio OTA only
60" LG Plasma
60" Vizio 1080P
36" LG HD
Ed_Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #11
ADG
Allan
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,883
Great, thanks again.
__________________
Allan
Forum Admin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:14 PM   #12
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 17,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1269 View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if TiVo just added this feature, one of several main ones that we have been asking for for years?
I'm definitely a person that likes more features, but I think this is comparatively a very very minor feature that most people wouldn't use.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:04 AM   #13
hillyard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 55
I would use it all the time. some people buy season of shows and would like to rip and put into folder in tivo.
hillyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #14
lpwcomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: John's Creek, Georgia
Posts: 5,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillyard View Post
I would use it all the time. some people buy season of shows and would like to rip and put into folder in tivo.
Absolutely no need for mods to TiVo to do this. Can be done with currently available free tools.
__________________
James L. Sutherland
"You know TiVo users. Bunch of b****y little girls" TiVoAxe

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #15
rhettf
R3T1CAL
 
rhettf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
That is not one of the functions of kmttg.
Pulled from kmttg help:

metadata

If this option is enabled then kmttg will create a metadata file which will have same file name as the final video file name but with .txt extension at the end.

This metadata file can be used by pyTivo when serving back shows on your PC to your Tivos to provide detailed information about the show. Without the metadata file if you serve .mpg (or non .TiVo files) back to your Tivos there will be no information about the shows when you view them from your Tivos.
NOTE: According to pyTivo conventions this file should be the same name as your video file but with .txt extension added. Thus if you re-name your video file be sure to re-name this file as well.

Starting with kmttg version 0p7d you now have more control over which video files to generate metadata files for. Under kmttg configuration Program Options tab use the metadata files setting to choose which file(s) to generate metadata files for.

Yes its not just kmttg out of the box since you need PyTivo to send the file.
__________________
Tivo Roamio Pro + 1TB Expansion + Slingbox.
TiVo iPad & iPhone App.
Tivo Mini
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #16
lpwcomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: John's Creek, Georgia
Posts: 5,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettf View Post
Pulled from kmttg help:

metadata

If this option is enabled then kmttg will create a metadata file which will have same file name as the final video file name but with .txt extension at the end.

This metadata file can be used by pyTivo when serving back shows on your PC to your Tivos to provide detailed information about the show. Without the metadata file if you serve .mpg (or non .TiVo files) back to your Tivos there will be no information about the shows when you view them from your Tivos.
NOTE: According to pyTivo conventions this file should be the same name as your video file but with .txt extension added. Thus if you re-name your video file be sure to re-name this file as well.

Starting with kmttg version 0p7d you now have more control over which video files to generate metadata files for. Under kmttg configuration Program Options tab use the metadata files setting to choose which file(s) to generate metadata files for.

Yes its not just kmttg out of the box since you need PyTivo to send the file.
That's when it pulls files from a TiVo. kmmttg does not create metadata files from scratch using data acquired from the web like MetaGenerator and pyTivoMetaThis do. It simply gets XML from the TiVo or a .tivo file and converts it to a pyTivo format text metadata file. IOW, you cannot use it to create metadata files for your own recordings or from those you "acquired by other means".
__________________
James L. Sutherland
"You know TiVo users. Bunch of b****y little girls" TiVoAxe

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |