TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-23-2010, 02:59 AM   #1
net114
Tivolitic Guru

Season Pass records repeats and first runs

There's some threads on this. But I couldn't find a lot of suggestions on how to deal with this.

My THD will record multiple shows of repeats, even when set to first run only in the Season Pass. I already know this is probably a problem with the guide data. For example, History runs a marathon of Pawn Stars, all repeats except for the last one which will be the new show. Tivo records them all.

My solution has been, and i mean on probably 60% of my recordings, to either A. tell it to save only one program (which sometimes screws up and doesn't get the newest one) or B. set up a manual recording.

The manual recording is not hard to do, I don't mind it really. But it's the opposite of what I want Tivo for, and why I recommend it to friends. "Tivo will find the program even if it changes to a different day on you as long as its in the guide data."

If the guide data is constantly that far off, then I've got a really nice VCR, but it really isn't fulfilling its potential as a Tivo.

Any suggestions on how to make this not happen so often?
net114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by net114 View Post
There's some threads on this. But I couldn't find a lot of suggestions on how to deal with this.

My THD will record multiple shows of repeats, even when set to first run only in the Season Pass. I already know this is probably a problem with the guide data. For example, History runs a marathon of Pawn Stars, all repeats except for the last one which will be the new show. Tivo records them all.

My solution has been, and i mean on probably 60% of my recordings, to either A. tell it to save only one program (which sometimes screws up and doesn't get the newest one) or B. set up a manual recording.

The manual recording is not hard to do, I don't mind it really. But it's the opposite of what I want Tivo for, and why I recommend it to friends. "Tivo will find the program even if it changes to a different day on you as long as its in the guide data."

If the guide data is constantly that far off, then I've got a really nice VCR, but it really isn't fulfilling its potential as a Tivo.

Any suggestions on how to make this not happen so often?
ARWL - There's a thread or two describing problems with the Daily Show and Colbert Report exhibiting the same problem. The guide data doesn't provide the correct original air date (or something like that), so the TiVo thinks it's a new episode. Using ARWL with a combination of keywords to exclude seems to be the winning solution. If you compare the descriptions of a known Pawn Star repeat with a first-run Pawn Star show, you may find a keyword that is always included in the repeated show that wouldn't be common in the first-run.

Edit: What I described is called the "tupper method"

Last edited by orangeboy : 03-23-2010 at 07:47 AM.
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
CraigK
(unspecified)

I've seen the same thing happen with Pawn Stars. Sometimes the guide data is updated after it originally appears in my To Do List and sorts itself out. Sometimes I have go in and delete the shows with the generic description before they record. This is one of the reasons I keep Pawn Stars at the bottom of my Season Pass list so these anomalies don't mess up any other shows.

I use the Tupper Method™ for The Daily Show and Colbert and it works great. I haven't set it up for Pawn Stars because it doesn't happen often enough to bother me (yet).
Old 07-28-2012, 11:15 PM   #4
doyling

Wow 2 Years Later Same Thing

I am going crazy with this problem on Deadliest Catch. It will record 9 or so episodes on Tuesday when the new show comes on. Even worse, the season pass will bump other scheduled programs because it has a higher value, even though it's recording re-runs. I frequently have to prune the To Do list.

More aggravating is the season pass I set up for White Sox. Not only will it record the game, but the post game and pre game show plus add 1.5 hours extra time. Ug, so again more pruning of the To Do list.
doyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #5
ThreeSoFar'sBro
Sports Nut

I've noticed that Deadliest Catch records twice, due to the "Social Replay" where tweets are included in the broadcast. It is annoying. Have you tried rearranging your programs in SP manager?
ThreeSoFar'sBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
jrtroo
User

Sports are often waay better to use a wishlist instead of a season pass. Search on it, and you'll find lots of good suggestions for keywords to eliminate pre/post game stuff.

For shows that repeat often, put them below anything that is one time/minimally repeated.