TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
mm2margaret
Meagan

The Five Worst Dramas currently on TV

So, it's been a blah Saturday, and I'm not ready to start making dinner yet, so I thought I'd list the five TV dramas that I think are a complete waste of time.

For anyone who is offended, I apologize. But I think these five shows are awful. Do you disagree? Post, and say why. And of course, I'd like to know what your five are. Here's my five:

1. Private Practice
2. CSI Miami
3. CSI New York
4. NCIS LA
5. Body of Proof

Private Practice is so bad, so poorly written, it wins my "best of the worst", as in the single most incomprehensible, unwatchable drama despite having a good cast.

But I had a hard time not designating CSI Miami as my number one. It's so bad, I kind of think it could almost be considered satire. Some times I break out laughing at some of the scenes that I know are supposed to be taken as serious, dramatically impactful scenes. I mean, the sunglasses thing with David Caruso? Can anyone watch that bit over and over again and again and take it seriously? I sure can't.

I also had CSI New York and NCIS LA in a tie. Really, has anyone really been able to follow any of the plots on NCIS LA? It's just a lot of chase scenes thrown together in what looks very sloppily way to me.

I considered Greys Anatomy, which has become a kind of joke with some of the ongoing show themes (Hunt and Yang, for instance - I mean, who cares anymore?). And some others.

So, am I full of it? (Well, I am, but that's another story and thread, I think) But what are yours? What your five worst dramas? And why?
Old 04-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
Cainebj

You might have to change this to
5 Worst of what I am watching.

I am not saying Private Practice is good
- but I doubt it's Top 5 worst.

But of course
- I am not watching the 5 Worst Dramas so I can't say...
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
caslu

Staying at a friend's house last weekend, I watched NCIS Los Angeles for the very first (and last) time and am thoroughly convinced it's the worst drama on television or perhaps even of all time.
caslu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj

But of course
Maybe you are, but you just don't know it.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:44 PM   #5
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I don't watch 1 or 2. But I watch the rest. Here's why: 3) Sela Ward 4) Daniela Ruah 5) Dana Delany.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #6
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
I don't watch 1 or 2. But I watch the rest. Here's why: 3) Sela Ward 4) Daniela Ruah 5) Dana Delany.
1) stopped watching a few years ago when I lost the oldest eps of a backlog
2) masochism + drinking game
3) Eddie Cahill and Carmine Giovinazzo
4) Chris O'Donnell
5) I actually just kinda like this one, even though some recent episodes have taught me that I have a real future as head of an ME office and/or the CDC
Old 04-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #7
sieglinde

I like Body of Proof OK. I am getting tired of NCIS Los Angeles. The rest I either quit watching years ago or never watched. I watched the crossover episode of Private Practice or maybe the pilot and thought it was pretty bad.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:56 AM   #8
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj

But of course
This.

I can't imagine watching enough episodes of something I dislike to be able to definitively declare it the worst.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
mwhip
All better

I watch none of these and my mom watches all 5...what does that say?

I keep telling her she watches crap but she likes it.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
efilippi

Body of Proof, like Rizzoli and Isles, features a hot, smart woman who walks through fields to get to the bloody body, in super high heels. That's enough for me.
efilippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #11
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

How would I know if they are the worst dramas if they are so bad that I don't watch them?

To me, all on your list are the worst dramas because I have no desire to watch them. I'll add to that list:

CSI
NCIS
Friday Night Lights
Breaking Bad
Walking Dead
Grey's Anatomy

And any other drama that I just don't watch. To me, I don't watch them, because they don't interest me, and that makes them "bad" in my book.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #12
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by efilippi View Post
Body of Proof (...) features a hot, smart woman (...)
Are you talking about Jeri Ryan? She's not in enough of the show for me to be willing to put up with Dana Delaney.
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #13
steverm2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
Are you talking about Jeri Ryan? She's not in enough of the show for me to be willing to put up with Dana Delaney.

steverm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #14
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
For me, Dana Delaney in a series is enough to make me never watch it. I laugh when I see her presence in a given show promoted so much like it's a positive thing. One day they'll find a proper role for her though. Everyone has one. But so far she's been so miscast every time it's a wonder she has a career. Is she some important persons daughter?

Anyway, I can't really be sure of the 5 worst dramas, because I wouldn't watch them long enough to know for certain.

I am sure that Private Practice is one of the worst I've ever sat through for 2 seasons expecting something better before realizing that was a stupid waste of time. And I feel pretty comfortable in saying anything that may come out by Shonda Rhimes is likely worthy of that moniker, too. I'm only watching Gray's Anatomy anymore because I want to see it end and am sort of hoping everyone will share George's fate in some manner.

I do disagree about CSI:Miami, CSI: NY and NCIS: Los Angeles. There may be a lot to complain about them, especially if you aren't quite familiar with the backstories, and CSI: Miami is a different beast altogether, with a big part of it being the intentional cheesiness which sits well with international audiences (where its primary audience is). But they're nowhere near boring, hopeless, petty dramas like Private Practice.

Private Practice reminds me a lot of Knots Landing. They took a premise that works great with larger-than-life characters and filled the roles with guy/gal-next-door types. It's a wonder anyone wants to watch those unremarkable, boring, tedious people even twice, let alone weekly. At least Knots Landing was a crappy spinoff from a great series (Dallas). Private Practice is a crappy spinoff from a series that started great and went into the crapper really quickly, long before the spinoff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #15
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj
Friday Night Lights
holy war in 5...4...3...
Old 04-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #16
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Breaking Bad
We may box now.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #17
sieglinde

Walking Dead? I guess this is a thing that some love and some hate.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #18
mm2margaret
Meagan

Breaking Bad? Really? Wow, didn't see that one coming....

So really folks, I started this thread because I have my Tivo filling up with backlogs of some of the shows I listed when I started the thread, and while I like to backlog shows for the summer, I'm thinking that I just should delete them. I have a backlog of about 10 eps of CSI Miami, and it's so bad, I just can't watch a single episode without speed-watching through it.

I just wondered if other folks felt that same way about other shows. But Breaking Bad, that's one I wouldn't see being viewed that way.

But that's what the forum's about, I guess. Different views and different ideas about the TV shows we watch. Interesting....
Old 04-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #19
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Of the 'popular' shows, Mad Men is high on my list. I know others love it, but I could never get into it.

Let the flaming begin...
Old 04-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #20
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm2margaret View Post
I have a backlog of about 10 eps of CSI Miami, and it's so bad, I just can't watch a single episode without speed-watching through it.
Then why do you record it? Just delete them---you don't even need to post here to tell us about it.

I've given up on tons of shows. That's just part of the nature of TV. Either your interests change or the show changes or whatever. It's no big deal. Delete the shows you don't like, cancel the season pass and move on.
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #21
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Then why do you record it? Just delete them---you don't even need to post here to tell us about it.

I've given up on tons of shows. That's just part of the nature of TV. Either your interests change or the show changes or whatever. It's no big deal. Delete the shows you don't like, cancel the season pass and move on.
I often can't bring myself to do that. I may not like the show anymore, but I find it very hard to just stop watching it after I've invested years into previous seasons, so I end up with backlogs like the OP.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #22
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
you don't even need to post here to tell us about it.
You must be new here.
Robin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #23
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Breaking Bad? Really? Wow, didn't see that one coming....

So really folks, I started this thread because I have my Tivo filling up with backlogs of some of the shows I listed when I started the thread, and while I like to backlog shows for the summer, I'm thinking that I just should delete them. I have a backlog of about 10 eps of CSI Miami, and it's so bad, I just can't watch a single episode without speed-watching through it.

I just wondered if other folks felt that same way about other shows. But Breaking Bad, that's one I wouldn't see being viewed that way.

But that's what the forum's about, I guess. Different views and different ideas about the TV shows we watch. Interesting....
Ahhhhhh, but you didn't get my point. These are dramas I personally don't watch. I never said why I didn't watch, and in fact, how do I know if they are good or bad? If a drama is, bad, why watch it? Do people actually continue to watch dramas that are bad? I would guess, if a show is successful, that they can't be THAT bad?

Based on what folks seem to like here, shows like FNL and Breaking Bad are probably well written shows? But they don't interest me, so to me, they are bad.

Why bother recording something that is bad and then question why to watch it? If it's bad, delete them right?
Old 04-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #24
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

IMO there's a difference between "bad" and "not interesting to me". Stargate & the like don't interest me, but I believe them to be good shows.
Robin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #25
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
IMO there's a difference between "bad" and "not interesting to me". Stargate & the like don't interest me, but I believe them to be good shows.
Depends what what your definition of BAD is. Lets take Mad Men for instance. Everyone says it's a great show, but when I watched it, it bored me to tears. Why? probably because it didn't interest me. Boring = bad to me. But if that's your interest, you'd find the show good.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #26
allan
I survived the Mayan

I've tried several shows that I didn't think were "bad", but didn't quite get into them. I've also tried shows that WERE bad, and never tried them again. And I can think of a few shows that were truly bad, but for some reason that I can't explain, I watched at least some eps of them.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #27
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Of the 5, I've only watched CSI Miami and even then it was probably only 2 episodes. I guess I know how to avoid bad television. In all honesty, I don't watch many dramas.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #28
Zevida
witless and unarmed

I don't watch TV shows I don't like, so I couldn't list a worst dramas on TV list, unless I just put out a bunch of shows I think are bad but have never actually watched.

I would say the worst show of the dramas I watch is Once Upon a Time. It has some really good moments, but it also has a lot of really bad moments. The terrible green screen CGI fantasy scenes drive me batty. With how things have been progressing I don't think I'll like where the show ends up going. I'll be surprised if I'm still watching by the end of season 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #29
MegaHertz67
Registered Smart Ass

My wife likes Private Practice, which is the low rent version of Greys Anatomy. The only PP I have watched were cross over episodes of Greys where they made me watch to get resolution of a storyline.

I live in Miami and I watch CSI:Miami because it looks pretty on the HD. What upsets me most about CSI:Miami is they don't shoot in Miami. They come in and shoot 2 weeks or so of locations stuff with the cast for the whole season. They do the flyovers with the copter and a lot of the "Hummer driving on the highway" shots at other times. The frustrating part is seeing mountains in the background of a shot because they shoot in LA.

CSI:NY I gave up on awhile ago because NY is overused for cop shows.

The others I don't watch.

Worst show I watch on purpose and know that they are iffy on quality but I watch anyway?

The Glades...because it is shot in and around Miami and I want to show them some ratings love. I also watch Burn Notice, but thatshow's quality is better.

House. I used to love House and look forward to it. I came to it late and TiVo'd episodes on USA and watched them in order to catch up. But once House and Cuddy got together it sucked. I would have given up and stopped watching, but they promised this was the last season so I stuck with it. Is it over yet?

“Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
-- John F. Kennedy
MegaHertz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #30
Lori
Social Defective

Quote:

I considered Greys Anatomy, which has become a kind of joke with some of the ongoing show themes (Hunt and Yang, for instance - I mean, who cares anymore?)
Me.

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote