TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-28-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
speaker city

Breaking Bad - "Caballo Sin Nombre" - 3/28/10

This is drama done right. Easily the best show on TV.

I don't know where to begin. So much happened in this episode. I'll just say I loved the return of Saul, Tio, and Saul's PI guy.
speaker city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:37 PM   #2
spikedavis

I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't watch this show. I agree-by far the best show on tv.
spikedavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:33 AM   #3
calitivo

-So does Saul work for Gus or Saul's henchman work for both of them. Guessing that Saul is involved since he was pressing the issue of going back into production.
-The Jesse story is awful. After getting sober, his plan is to screw over his parents. Really? Way to make amends. And that's how he is going to use all his money. To buy a suburban house he has little use for. Guess they need a reason to get him with Walt again. Or maybe he sells it and doubles his money.
-I forget, but was Walter's name used in front of Tio last season and that's how he knew.
-I think this is at least the third time they have done the same exact scene between Skylar and the boss. Boring storyline, except for the part where he said he was doing it for his family.

Still not sure if the opening scene of the season was in the past or the future like season 2. Was thinking that Gus would protect Walt and company in exchange for $ and agreeing to the 3 months. But not sure now.
calitivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:43 AM   #4
john4200

I guess Jesse still feels entitled to a house from his parents, since he thinks his Aunt meant for him to have her house and his mother kicked him out of that house.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:34 AM   #5
cheesesteak
Meh.

That was cold, Jesse.

I had a hard time keeping my eyes off of Skylar's boobs so I'm pretty sure Beneke noticed them too - and her missing wedding ring.

Walt could make the Olympic pizza tossing team. I replayed that twice to see if there was any obvious cgi work but I couldn't tell.

An axe? The twins couldn't just Shoot Walt?

I'm now lost with the "bad guy" connections.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:37 AM   #6
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by calitivo View Post
Still not sure if the opening scene of the season was in the past or the future like season 2. Was thinking that Gus would protect Walt and company in exchange for $ and agreeing to the 3 months. But not sure now.
I don't get the confusion over this scene. Seems clear to me the Cousins went to get a "blessing" for their mission to kill Walt.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #7
spikedavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataylor View Post
I don't get the confusion over this scene. Seems clear to me the Cousins went to get a "blessing" for their mission to kill Walt.
Saul's henchman (forget that dude's name right now) called up Gus-and unless my memory is foggy I had no idea that Gus and Saul had any other connection that Walt.

And yeah-when Walt flung that pizza up on the roof we laughed out loud and replayed it-how many takes did they shoot for that I wonder?
Old 03-29-2010, 10:29 AM   #8
cheesesteak
Meh.

From Alan Sepinwall's column:
Quote:
Walt's flinging of the pizza onto the garage roof seemed so impressive that I asked Vince Gilligan if there was any special work by the crew to aid its flight. Here's what he said:
Our special effects expert did indeed work up some mechanism for getting the pizza out of the box and onto the roof, using fishline or somesuch. However, to the best of my knowledge, his rig was never used. What you see in the finished episode is take one, in which Bryan basically just did a Hail Mary toss and got it up there in one try!

Old 03-29-2010, 10:32 AM   #9
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
The pizza was hilarious. You can see Walt look at the roof after he flings it up there. At the time, we weren't sure if that look meant "oh crap, I flung the pizza on the roof" or "holy crap, this is the 50th take and I finally got the pizza on the roof." Now it's even funnier knowing that was the first take. The look must have been "I can't believe I got the pizza on the roof on the first try."
Old 03-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #10
stlarenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Walt could make the Olympic pizza tossing team. I replayed that twice to see if there was any obvious cgi work but I couldn't tell.
Yes...but the resturaunt employee in charge of cutting the pizza should be fired ...have you ever gotten a takeout pizza that wasn't cut at all?

I loved the episode. I am surprised some of you didn't like the Jessie storyline. It was my favorite part of the show. I think it fit perfectly with his revelation last week that he is the "bad guy". Smart, calculating, do anything to get what he wants attitude...I am really looking forward to watching this new attitude develop, and seeing how Walt reacts to it.
stlarenas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:21 PM   #11
speaker city

I really liked the opening of this ep. I was enjoying myself watching Walt enjoying himself listening to America's Horse with No Name... until the fuzz came along and ruined everyone's good time. Seriously though, Walt, the windshield was pretty bad, and it's been how many weeks since the crash? You're the number one meth producer in the southwest, maybe you wanna keep a lower profile.

Quote:
I had a hard time keeping my eyes off of Skylar's boobs so I'm pretty sure Beneke noticed them too - and her missing wedding ring.
Yeah, at :34 you can see Beneke checking out her cleavage and then she kind of repositions herself. I didn't notice the missing ring. BTW, can someone explain what Beneke's doing that's illegal? Is he hiding revenue so he doesn't have to pay taxes on it?
Old 03-29-2010, 01:52 PM   #12
spikedavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlarenas View Post
I loved the episode. I am surprised some of you didn't like the Jessie storyline. It was my favorite part of the show. I think it fit perfectly with his revelation last week that he is the "bad guy". Smart, calculating, do anything to get what he wants attitude...I am really looking forward to watching this new attitude develop, and seeing how Walt reacts to it.
I'm with you-I loved the Jessie storyline. Him walking into the house was a tiny - yet huge "win" for him.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #13
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speaker city View Post
I really liked the opening of this ep. I was enjoying myself watching Walt enjoying himself listening to America's Horse with No Name... until the fuzz came along and ruined everyone's good time. Seriously though, Walt, the windshield was pretty bad, and it's been how many weeks since the crash? You're the number one meth producer in the southwest, maybe you wanna keep a lower profile.
Maybe Walt should part with a tiny fraction of his fortune and get his windshield replaced. Heck, it's probably insured.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:25 PM   #14
speaker city

If anyone's curious, the song played when Walt was trying to get into his house while PI guy was setting up the surveillance is Magic Arrow by Timber Timbre.

This show has great music.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:02 PM   #15
spikedavis

Quote:
If anyone's curious, the song played when Walt was trying to get into his house while PI guy was setting up the surveillance is Magic Arrow by Timber Timbre.

This show has great music.
Can someone explain to me why Walt was so intent on gettting into the house to begin with? I mean, in retrospect-had he not-the henchman wouldn't have seen him...wouldn't have called Gus....and the henchman would have stayed there until Skylar, the baby and Walt Jr came home. :O
Old 03-29-2010, 06:19 PM   #16
speaker city

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikedavis View Post
Can someone explain to me why Walt was so intent on gettting into the house to begin with? I mean, in retrospect-had he not-the henchman wouldn't have seen him...wouldn't have called Gus....and the henchman would have stayed there until Skylar, the baby and Walt Jr came home. :O
I think he was being defiant to Skylar's orders to stay away from the house. Plus he looked pretty gnarly when he woke up, maybe he really wanted to bathe in his shower.

When The Cousins entered the kitchen, one of them pointed out Holly's ultrasound photo to the other. I don't think these guys would hurt kids. I think they mainly want to kill Walt... I almost wanted to call him Heisenberg, but they know his real name. Damn that scene with Tio and the quija board was intense!
Old 03-30-2010, 12:04 AM   #17
GadgetFreak

What was the meaning of the text message that the cousins received?
GadgetFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:17 AM   #18
spikedavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak View Post
The same text message that Walt got from Gus-meaning that they are beholden to him too...
Old 03-30-2010, 08:14 AM   #19
billboard_NE
North Shore MA

[quote=calitivo;7850565]-
-I forget, but was Walter's name used in front of Tio last season and that's how he knew.
QUOTE]

In season two Walt's and Jessie's identification were laid out on Tio's table at his house in Mexico. The producers made it pretty clear that Tio could see them.
billboard_NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:18 AM   #20
billboard_NE
North Shore MA

Quote:
Maybe Walt should part with a tiny fraction of his fortune and get his windshield replaced. Heck, it's probably insured.
You are right, but they did show a new windshield with tape on the edges during the pizza scene. So yes he did get it repaired.
billboard_NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:45 AM   #21
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
I watched it a couple of times too just because it was so funny, I wasn't even thinking of CGI. I assume that it was just pure luck that the pizza did that, though I suppose it is possible he practiced it, to get it to happen on film. But I like to think it was luck and that he did an awesome job of acting when he just got in his car instead of goggling at it, and then the wrote it into the story.

Quote:
An axe? The twins couldn't just Shoot Walt?
Sometimes these things are done to send a message, a bloody dismemberment sends a stronger message than a bullet to the head.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:51 AM   #22
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
Quote:
From Alan Sepinwall's column:
Walt's flinging of the pizza onto the garage roof seemed so impressive that I asked Vince Gilligan if there was any special work by the crew to aid its flight. Here's what he said:
Our special effects expert did indeed work up some mechanism for getting the pizza out of the box and onto the roof, using fishline or somesuch. However, to the best of my knowledge, his rig was never used. What you see in the finished episode is take one, in which Bryan basically just did a Hail Mary toss and got it up there in one try!
OK, that is just f'n amazing.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:52 AM   #23
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlarenas View Post
I concur. I'm not sure where they are going but my interest is piqued.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:56 AM   #24
SeanC
ECT

Was the meth lab in the house ever a matter of public record? Shouldn't the parents have known that Jesse was involved somehow once that was brought up? And did not revealing the meth labs existence in the real estate documentation actually constitute fraud?

(yes, yes, I know, just a show, no biggie, just curious how that scene relates to the real world)
Old 03-30-2010, 09:20 AM   #25
NatasNJ
Bone marrow lover!

I thought this season was going a tad slow in the first episode and halfway into this episode. (STILL GREAT just taking a bit to see where this season was heading) Then within 10 minutes it felt like a season finale with so much tension. Loved it.

My only disappointment is that Jesse has yet to so "yo" once this season. Need that dude to get back to his roots.
NatasNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:28 AM   #26
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
My only disappointment is that Jesse has yet to so "yo" once this season. Need that dude to get back to his roots.
Well he did tell his parents he would "bounce" if they didn't want him at the house the first time. LOL
photoshopgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:16 PM   #27
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Yeah, at :34 you can see Beneke checking out her cleavage and then she kind of repositions herself. I didn't notice the missing ring. BTW, can someone explain what Beneke's doing that's illegal? Is he hiding revenue so he doesn't have to pay taxes on it?
He's embezzling money from the company. Since it's his company, yes, he's basically hiding revenue (or artificially increasing costs) in order to avoid taxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikedavis View Post
Saul basically told him to call her bluff, that she couldn't go to the cops or to Hank or it would blow up in her face. After going on a bender and waking up laying in a pile of popcorn, he clearly realized that he wanted his old life back and decided to take Saul's advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak View Post
POLLOS means Chickens. It's the name of the chicken joint that Gus owns/manages, and it was a signal that they should come there immediately. I know they did that so we'd know the message was from the same guy that Walt got the message from in the previous episode, but it seems like they'd need more info than that. How was the sender of the message supposed to know if they'd carried out their mission yet and how were The Cousins supposed to know that the message meant to leave without finishing their job.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:41 PM   #28
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
POLLOS means Chickens. It's the name of the chicken joint that Gus owns/manages, and it was a signal that they should come there immediately. I know they did that so we'd know the message was from the same guy that Walt got the message from in the previous episode, but it seems like they'd need more info than that. How was the sender of the message supposed to know if they'd carried out their mission yet and how were The Cousins supposed to know that the message meant to leave without finishing their job.
Maybe it was code from their boss (Gus the Chicken Guy) to abort the mission. ??

As friendly as Gus was to Walt when Walt turned down the $$$$ offer, they are aware of each other as major players -- which would mean it is very likely that Gus is ruthless in order to protect his anonymity as well as his business.

On that note, I wonder if chicken is the only meat that gets chopped up, deep fried and served up at his establishments. Remember Satriale's Butcher Shop in the Sopranos?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:41 PM   #29
BK89

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
And did not revealing the meth labs existence in the real estate documentation actually constitute fraud?
Yes, not disclosing something that you know about in a house (like say that it was a drug house, someone was murdered there and melted through the upstairs bathroom) is a big no no in real estate. The RE agent would get his license revoked and Im sure the owners would get sued.

Better call Saul!
BK89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:40 PM   #30
mrdazzo7

Quote:
Originally Posted by calitivo View Post
-So does Saul work for Gus or Saul's henchman work for both of them. Guessing that Saul is involved since he was pressing the issue of going back into production.

-The Jesse story is awful. After getting sober, his plan is to screw over his parents. Really? Way to make amends. And that's how he is going to use all his money. To buy a suburban house he has little use for. Guess they need a reason to get him with Walt again. Or maybe he sells it and doubles his money.

- If I'm not mistaken, I think Saul was the one who put Walt in touch with Gus in the first place last season... I think Walt went to Saul with his distribution/funding issues and Saul had him contact Gus. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

- I thought the Jessie thing was messed up too, especially since his parents were 100% right with how they treated him back in the day. Plus it's not like his dad kicked him in the face when he told him he was sober--he seemed geniunely happy, and also concerned about how Jessie was doing. I could see if the parents were dicks, but I guess his decision is supposed to show us that he's embracing his "bad guy" status, sobriety and clarity be damned.

- The opening scene was in the present. The Cousins went to the statue which has to do with a certain Mexican custom I'm not familiar with (something to do with death). They then got on a boarder-hopping truck which they blew up once they crossed into the US, and proceeded to Tuco's Uncle's hangout, where they learned Walt's real name.
mrdazzo7 is offline   Reply With Quote