TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'
 
murgatroyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 22,542
So You Think You Can Dance S906 6/27/12 meet the top 20

No results show this year. Two winners.

Mixing it up this year.

Crappy PQ -- I just tweaked my antenna and I'm still seeing pixelation. But what do you know? Picture is perfect during the commercials.

BiH FOX.

Edited to add: I forgot to put a spoilers / no spoilers reference in the title, but there aren't any competition performances in this show. This is the "get to know them" show and it's all lovey-dovey tonight.
__________________
"The capacity of human beings to disappoint me is never ending." -- Ereth

Last edited by murgatroyd : 06-28-2012 at 11:49 AM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?
 
Kamakzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 4,888
Was fine for me picture quality wise. Anyways so if there is no results show it will all be decided by the judges? or will they somehow do live voting? I'm confused. Personally having the mostly idiot voters removed couldn't be a bad thing right?
__________________
HR-20 x 2
HR-21 x 2
Kamakzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:03 AM   #3
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy
 
Cearbhaill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Down the rabbit hole
Posts: 13,134
One show a week will include the results from live voting with a dash of judges Nigel's decision- how they will work it in remains to be seen.

I found myself wishing it was So You Think You Can Dance Ballet Edition- loved seeing those three.
__________________
Choose joy!
Cearbhaill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:34 AM   #4
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista
 
photoshopgrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Boring Ohio
Posts: 3,775
There was no competition last night, just results and then they all did dancing? I need to find a list of the top 20. I'm not sure I need to watch it unless someone did something incredible already.
__________________
~Cristina~
There ain't no me if there ain't no you.
photoshopgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:44 AM   #5
jehma
Registered User
 
jehma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,964
I loved the three ballet dancers - I couldn't take my eyes off the girl. I wonder how long Cyrus will last. He's no Twitch, that's for sure, and they have to real hip-hop dancers this year. I still really like martial arts guy (whose name I have already forgotten since the last thread). I'm looking forward to see what happens with all these dancers when the choreographers get their hands on them.
jehma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #6
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy
 
Cearbhaill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Down the rabbit hole
Posts: 13,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
There was no competition last night, just results and then they all did dancing? I need to find a list of the top 20. I'm not sure I need to watch it unless someone did something incredible already.


Boys:
Cole Horibe (martial arts fusion), Cyrus "Glitch" Spencer (animated popping), Daniel Baker (ballet), George Lawrence II (contemporary), Will Thomas (contemporary), Dareian Kujawa (contemporary), Brandon Mitchell (stepping), Matthew Kazmierczak (contemporary), Nick Bloxsom-Carter (ballroom), and Chehon Wespi-Tschopp (ballet).


Girls:
Eliana Girard (contemporary ballet), Amelia Lowe (contemporary), Janelle Issis (bellydance), Witney Carson (ballroom), Amber Jackson (contemporary), Lindsay Arnold (ballroom), Alexa Anderson (contemporary), Janaya French (lyrical contemporary), Tiffany Maher (jazz), and Audrey Case (jazz).
__________________
Choose joy!
Cearbhaill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #7
That Don Guy
Now with more GB
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Benicia, CA
Posts: 2,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
There was no competition last night, just results and then they all did dancing?
Yes. There would not have been enough time to announce the 20 finalists and then do 10 couples routines. Besides, there's no episode next week (I assume they figure that too many people will be out watching fireworks to be home to watch and then vote).

Speaking of which, I was slightly surprised they admitted this year that the "green mile" didn't take place in Vegas at the end of Vegas week, but was in Hollywood after a few weeks' break. I was also a little surprised that both of the two ballroom roommates made it; I was expecting them to be the last two remaining for the final female spot.

(Oh, and for those of you new to SYTYCD, the reason Cat introduces the judges as "Here are your..." and then the audience yells out "Judges!" is, in earlier seasons, Cat was notorious for pronouncing the word "jidges" (or, on occasion, "jerdges").)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
One show a week will include the results from live voting with a dash of judges Nigel's decision- how they will work it in remains to be seen.
Here's what we know so far, based on what Nigel has said:

The top 20 perform on 7/11, and viewers can vote at the end of the show.

The top 20 perform again on 7/18; after each dance, Nigel will inform each couple whether or not they were in the bottom three of the voting from the previous week. The decision on who to cut will be based in part on how well the bottom three couples did on the second show; this is intended to replace the "dance for your life" solos (although they can ask one or more dancers to do solos anyway).

Here's the schedule, from various sources:
7/11 - Top 20
7/18 - Top 20 perform; one couple cut
7/25 - Top 18 perform; one couple cut
8/1 - pre-empted (Fox does not want to air new episodes of its reality shows against the Olympics)
8/8 - pre-empted
8/15 - Top 16 perform; one couple cut
8/22 - Top 14 perform; one couple cut
8/29 - Top 12 perform; one couple cut
9/5 - Top 10 perform with All-Stars; two dancers cut
Because The X Factor begins on 9/12, the last two episodes are on Tuesdays:
9/11 - Top 8 perform with All-Stars; two dancers cut
9/18 - Winners announced

What I want to know is,
(a) are they going to eliminate couples, or can they eliminate one man and one woman from different couples if they want;
(b) if they do break up couples, then how do they handle the couple formed by the two "singles"? Are they automatically in next week's bottom three? Can people vote for them based on how well they performed with their now-eliminated partners? Or, if the performance episodes are pre-recorded, will they have them do a routine at the end of the show?
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #8
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista
 
photoshopgrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Boring Ohio
Posts: 3,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post


Boys:
Cole Horibe (martial arts fusion), Cyrus "Glitch" Spencer (animated popping), Daniel Baker (ballet), George Lawrence II (contemporary), Will Thomas (contemporary), Dareian Kujawa (contemporary), Brandon Mitchell (stepping), Matthew Kazmierczak (contemporary), Nick Bloxsom-Carter (ballroom), and Chehon Wespi-Tschopp (ballet).

Girls:
Eliana Girard (contemporary ballet), Amelia Lowe (contemporary), Janelle Issis (bellydance), Witney Carson (ballroom), Amber Jackson (contemporary), Lindsay Arnold (ballroom), Alexa Anderson (contemporary), Janaya French (lyrical contemporary), Tiffany Maher (jazz), and Audrey Case (jazz).
Awesome thank you!!!
I'll have to go back and figure out who each of them are now as that picture has them all done up and I only recognize a few of the ones I liked throughout the auditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Here's what we know so far, based on what Nigel has said:

The top 20 perform on 7/11, and viewers can vote at the end of the show.

The top 20 perform again on 7/18; after each dance, Nigel will inform each couple whether or not they were in the bottom three of the voting from the previous week. The decision on who to cut will be based in part on how well the bottom three couples did on the second show; this is intended to replace the "dance for your life" solos (although they can ask one or more dancers to do solos anyway).

Here's the schedule, from various sources:
7/11 - Top 20
7/18 - Top 20 perform; one couple cut
7/25 - Top 18 perform; one couple cut
8/1 - pre-empted (Fox does not want to air new episodes of its reality shows against the Olympics)
8/8 - pre-empted
8/15 - Top 16 perform; one couple cut
8/22 - Top 14 perform; one couple cut
8/29 - Top 12 perform; one couple cut
9/5 - Top 10 perform with All-Stars; two dancers cut
Because The X Factor begins on 9/12, the last two episodes are on Tuesdays:
9/11 - Top 8 perform with All-Stars; two dancers cut
9/18 - Winners announced
Thanks! You guys are saving me all kinds of time searching.
__________________
~Cristina~
There ain't no me if there ain't no you.
photoshopgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #9
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'
 
murgatroyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 22,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
There was no competition last night, just results and then they all did dancing? I need to find a list of the top 20. I'm not sure I need to watch it unless someone did something incredible already.
Don't you have a TiVo? Just FF through all the selection stuff and watch the performances. Of course, the problem with doing THAT is that you miss all the zingers. ("At least we know they're real!" OMG!)

My faves, in order:
  • the ballet performance
  • the baseball number with Cole, Brandon, and Cyrus
  • top 10 guys
  • top "20" number with Mia

I liked the choreography of the ballroom number, but I didn't think Nick was as strong as the two girls.

My beef about this Top 20? They put through too many people that I already like. It is going to suck watching them go early.

By the end of the selection stuff, I found myself wishing they had not put Cyrus and Amelia through. I wish they had thrown them back into the pool to grow up one more year.

The surprise: I liked Will in the off-stage bit.
__________________
"The capacity of human beings to disappoint me is never ending." -- Ereth
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
mwhip
All better
 
mwhip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Dallas
Posts: 16,484
As always the girls look better than the boys.

Is there something different with the stage this year? Did adding those pieces on the side make it smaller? This is a good thing because most dancers were getting lost on that huge stage.

Oh and I know Mia Michaels is weird but what was with that wig?
__________________
"It's not stealing if you need it. And you need it." - Inignot

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #11
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista
 
photoshopgrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Boring Ohio
Posts: 3,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Don't you have a TiVo? Just FF through all the selection stuff and watch the performances.
It's recorded and waiting but I was exhausted last night so I went to bed early. And I was hoping I could just skip or skim through later when I get time. BUT I kinda wanted to know the results now and didn't want to risk skipping over any of the actual competition.
__________________
~Cristina~
There ain't no me if there ain't no you.
photoshopgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #12
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'
 
murgatroyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 22,542
No results for this show -- this is the "meet and greet" where they reveal the Top 20 and show them off in performances where the similar-styled dancers are grouped together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
Is there something different with the stage this year? Did adding those pieces on the side make it smaller? This is a good thing because most dancers were getting lost on that huge stage.
I had forgotten about the new new set. Yes, they've introduced some horizontals into the set, sort of an homage to all the levels in the old set. I still like the old set better.
__________________
"The capacity of human beings to disappoint me is never ending." -- Ereth
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #13
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?
 
Kamakzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 4,888
Hmmm very interesting way to do things. Makes sense. No results show filler either!
__________________
HR-20 x 2
HR-21 x 2
Kamakzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #14
mwhip
All better
 
mwhip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Dallas
Posts: 16,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
No results for this show -- this is the "meet and greet" where they reveal the Top 20 and show them off in performances where the similar-styled dancers are grouped together.



I had forgotten about the new new set. Yes, they've introduced some horizontals into the set, sort of an homage to all the levels in the old set. I still like the old set better.
Yes the original stage with the stairs was the best. At least with this stage now they have figured out how to use the horizontals to make it smaller for small groups and can move them for large groups. Much better than watching a solo or couple try to fill it.
__________________
"It's not stealing if you need it. And you need it." - Inignot

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #15
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?
 
Kamakzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 4,888
I'd also like to add this. No matter how cute Zooey Deschanel is, she is an awful judge!
__________________
HR-20 x 2
HR-21 x 2
Kamakzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #16
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'
 
murgatroyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 22,542
The original stage with the stairs had a "meet in the warehouse and have a dance-off" vibe. That feel is totally gone now.

I understand that it would have been a pain to re-create that on tour, and that once you had a set design for touring, and another set for the main show, now you have two set designs to cope with, which is a pain. But I miss the old set.

And hey, if you want to have an All-Star Game tie in, and a guest judge on the same show, why not have a baseball player on the panel? Call up any number of former Oakland As players who have performed in the Nutcracker Ballet, that way you can have a baseball player who has actual experience performing on stage.

Either plug the All-Star Game OR plug Zoey's show. Doing both in the same show is too much off-topic FOXitude.
__________________
"The capacity of human beings to disappoint me is never ending." -- Ereth

Last edited by murgatroyd : 06-28-2012 at 12:36 PM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #17
zalusky
Registered User
 
zalusky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 3,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
The original stage with the stairs had a "meet in the warehouse and have a dance-off" vibe. That feel is totally gone now.

I understand that it would have been a pain to re-create that on tour, and that once you had a set design for touring, and another set for the main show, now you have two set designs to cope with, which is a pain. But I miss the old set.

And hey, if you want to have an All-Star Game tie in, and a guest judge on the same show, why not have a baseball player on the panel? Call up any number of former Oakland As players who have performed in the Nutcracker Ballet, that way you can have a baseball player who has actual experience performing on stage.

Either plug the All-Star Game OR plug Zoey's show. Doing both in the same show is too much off-topic FOXitude.
+1 on that. Zooey was probably one of the worst judges I have ever seen and I think she knew she was there purely for promotional reasons and I also think she knew she as a fail!

I sure hope Nigel tones down the cross promoting and focuses on quality.
I also felt for a while like Bruno was doing a bloviating ventriloquist act with the judges. I am wondering if Nigel feels like this is his last shot.
__________________
I will never forget the face of my wife as I left to go the operating room to donate my kidney and give her back her life.
zalusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #18
mwhip
All better
 
mwhip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Dallas
Posts: 16,484
I felt kinda bad for Zooey. It was like she was under contract to be there and was doing her best to contribute but it was almost like the suits didn't care and just wanted her out there. At least it happened on this show and not one where actual judging was needed.

Oh and no one has mentioned Desmond Richardson and is partner are here all season long to choreograph!?! Awesome.
__________________
"It's not stealing if you need it. And you need it." - Inignot

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #19
tem
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 7,726
they need to get rid of Sonya Tayeh all her routines look/feel exactly the same.

Bring back Wade Robson !
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #20
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?
 
Kamakzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 4,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
they need to get rid of Sonya Tayeh all her routines look/feel exactly the same.

Bring back Wade Robson !
Indeed, I'm pretty sure I could identify one of her routines without them saying whose it was.
__________________
HR-20 x 2
HR-21 x 2
Kamakzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #21
verdugan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Don't you have a TiVo? Just FF through all the selection stuff and watch the performances. Of course, the problem with doing THAT is that you miss all the zingers. ("At least we know they're real!" OMG!)
I did just that and I missed the zinger. I'm guessing it was about the ballroom dancing girl, right? What was the context/full zinger?
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #22
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'
 
murgatroyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 22,542
In the top-10-boys piece choreographed by Sonya Tayeh, Will confesses in the rehearsal footage that he is not keen to dance with his shirt off: "I got some jiggle going on."

After the performance, Cat asks him "Did you just shimmy?" and Will says "It just moves!" and she says "at least we know it's real."
__________________
"The capacity of human beings to disappoint me is never ending." -- Ereth
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #23
walkerism
The Clean Up Man
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 618
MIA rules
__________________
"...And The Masses Are Easily Amused..."
walkerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #24
etexlady
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: East Texas
Posts: 1,867
I probably would not watch this show if Cat Deeley was not the hostess. She is soooooo good at her job. I didn't realize she was so tall until she stood between the two small girl dancers and described herself as the "giant".
etexlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #25
verdugan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
In the top-10-boys piece choreographed by Sonya Tayeh, Will confesses in the rehearsal footage that he is not keen to dance with his shirt off: "I got some jiggle going on."

After the performance, Cat asks him "Did you just shimmy?" and Will says "It just moves!" and she says "at least we know it's real."
LOL

Thanks for posting that.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #26
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lexington, MA
Posts: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
Indeed, I'm pretty sure I could identify one of her routines without them saying whose it was.
Well to be fair, the same can be said about Robson's routines. But in a good way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
(Oh, and for those of you new to SYTYCD, the reason Cat introduces the judges as "Here are your..." and then the audience yells out "Judges!" is, in earlier seasons, Cat was notorious for pronouncing the word "jidges" (or, on occasion, "jerdges").)
Although I'm aware of the history (I've watched every season), this little bit still grates on me as lame and annoying. If it weren't for this one thing I'd put Cat as right up there in the "hosts pantheon", second to Jeff Probst (he wins going away, though, because his job is so much harder and more integral--he is that show in so many ways). With it... well maybe she's still up there. But I still hate it!
__________________
"Please remain calm--I may be mad, but I am a professional!" -- Mad Scientist
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #27
Jayjoans
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: CA
Posts: 885
Almost didn't recognize Mia. Lips plumped and botox injected, she had to really force that smile.
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #28
Zephyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
I'd also like to add this. No matter how cute Zooey Deschanel is, she is an awful judge!
Yup, useless cheerleading.
Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #29
cmgal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
Yup, useless cheerleading.
Is she related to Emily Deschanel of "Bones"? She looks like her.
__________________
**** CANCER!
cmgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #30
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?
 
Kamakzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 4,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgal View Post
Is she related to Emily Deschanel of "Bones"? She looks like her.
sister
__________________
HR-20 x 2
HR-21 x 2
Kamakzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |