TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-12-2012, 07:06 AM   #61
hmm52

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I wonder why it transferred you to an agent? When I did it two weeks ago with my three cable cards it went through quickly without transferring me to an agent.
What's the trick to stay within the automated system? Time of day to call? I tried the IHA then voice prompt setup early yesterday for four cards. No recognition on the first, silence on the second. Called FSC and got a fairly green CSR/tech. Worked with him for 1 1/4 hours! - last 1/2 hour with "senior tech" advising in background. Result - no 131 with 2 cards, other 2 were deactivated when I came home after suggested power cycling both TiVos (red flag). Voice prompt worked this morning but connected quickly to agent, not so green. He delisted 2 non-working cards from account then reactivated them. Still no 131 on either. I had suggested "reactivate" and "swap cards" during the 1/2 hour call.

These are 4 S cards that I've had forever and which have been moved around many times between various TVs and DVRs. Maybe none of them started in the S3s. I wouldn't think that this would make a difference. Any advice?
Old 07-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #62
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post
For me, its so long tivo desktop. Everything I transferred was HBO or showtime anyway and those days will be over. it all seems ridiculous to me. You would think that the recordings could be tied to your home Ip address and as long as it stayed on that network then transfer to NAS or PC's with Raid systems and etc could be allowed.
What about when your home IP address changes?( I assume you mean the WAN IP address otherwise my IP address range on my LAN has been the same since the late nineties) On FiOS my WAN IP address sometimes changes several times a week. And sometimes can go months without changing. Currently, for the last few weeks, it's changed several times each week. It's changed at least a dozen times in the last month.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 07-12-2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: spelling doH!!
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #63
mattack

Quote:
For me, its so long tivo desktop. Everything I transferred was HBO or showtime anyway and those days will be over. it all seems ridiculous to me. You would think that the recordings could be tied to your home Ip address and as long as it stayed on that network then transfer to NAS or PC's with Raid systems and etc could be allowed.
How is transferring to your computer any different than letting it 'out into the open' anywhere on the Internet?

Hey, I don't like DRM more than the next guy, but these requirements are at least the kind of 'front door lock' kind of impediments to people.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #64
CreepinDeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
The effect isn't significant for people with upgraded HDs. People who want to keep an HBO, special, movie or series for an extended period of time no longer have the option of archiving to a PC. Those people now have to purchase a DVD or , if available, a digital copy (Amazon or Itunes). It also prevents a HBO subscriber (with tivo) from making DVD copies for friends who don't subscribe to HBO.
Doesn't sound like a bad thing.

They're just protecting content from being passed along for free.
It's most likely being asked of them in their contract with HBO, Cinemax, etc.

Many of these FREE streaming online services like Roku are piggybacking off the big carriers and hurting their business.
They have to protect the content from free re-distribution methods.
CreepinDeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #65
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

That's ridiculous - Roku is accessing the content that the providers choose to allow, with authorization required as needed.

Try again.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #66
NatasNJ
Bone marrow lover!

Anyone resolve their CableCard activation issues?
D day is next week.
NatasNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #67
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

So far I've hit nothing but brick walls with Verizon,
In-home agent software says I have no CableCARDS
Chat agent was clueless and never asked for IDs, said "I have them all"

Giving a try with the phone lines now

update: automated system was working, it gave me all the prompts for NEW data and host IDs which I entered, it went far better than chat.

Last edited by dianebrat : 07-28-2012 at 08:02 PM. Reason: added phone info
dianebrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #68
am95

So...any idea when they copy flag will go into effect?

The letter said on or after July 31st and as of today, August 1st, HBO is still copy free.
am95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #69
dbenrosen

I called yesterday (7/31) because my Series 3 still has the "call to activate" screen on channel 131. I called and the rep, who had little idea what I was talking about, admitted such and claimed to have checked with his "network" guy. They said the update had already gone out and if I wasn't having a problem with any of the channels than everything was fine. Since I was still getting HBO, I didn't pursue it further. I'll check again tonight to make sure it is still working.
dbenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #70
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenrosen View Post
I called yesterday (7/31) because my Series 3 still has the "call to activate" screen on channel 131. I called and the rep, who had little idea what I was talking about, admitted such and claimed to have checked with his "network" guy. They said the update had already gone out and if I wasn't having a problem with any of the channels than everything was fine. Since I was still getting HBO, I didn't pursue it further. I'll check again tonight to make sure it is still working.
I found them to be clueless, they think everything is all set if any data is in their system.
The phone based automatic system is easy and it lets you re-enter the digits, it worked perfectly for me.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #71
am95

Quote:
To my understanding the cable card and them implementing a copy-flag to "certain premium channels" (with HBO being a definite) are two separate issues so I'm wondering how HBO is tied into the cable card issue your having?
Old 08-02-2012, 01:34 AM   #72
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by am95 View Post
To my understanding the cable card and them implementing a copy-flag to "certain premium channels" (with HBO being a definite) are two separate issues so I'm wondering how HBO is tied into the cable card issue your having?
You can't view copy-flagged channels on unpaired cablecard devices.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:16 AM   #73
am95

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Thanks for the explanation.

So if I'm understanding correctly, the letter about how certain channels might not be available if the cablecards aren't paired is referring to the copy-protected channels they going to start flagging?

If he's correct and the update has already gone out, I'm wondering why HBO is still marked 0x00...

Last edited by am95 : 08-02-2012 at 02:29 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:09 AM   #74
BigJimOutlaw

Correct. Some channels are going to be flagged and thus unpaired devices won't be able to tune them anymore. The letter was a notice to make sure cards and devices are paired.

Fios has been known to deploy changes in stages, one VHO/region at a time. So the deployment may have begun, but not carried out fully yet. Or someone was mistaken and it may not have actually happened yet. Who knows.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:11 AM   #75
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Which is why they did the CH131 thing, if you have an unpaired card you can't view it, a paired card can. This way it doesn't matter if they've moved HBO over in your area.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #76
NatasNJ
Bone marrow lover!

I am going to revisit this issue this weekend. So far no luck pairing my cards.
NatasNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #77
dbenrosen

I've had no luck pairing the two cards in my S3. Using the automated system, it doesn't give me the CableCARD # for those 2 cards so there is no way to pair them. Talking to people (CSR) seems to be little better for those 2 cards. So far, my channels are still coming in fine.

Does anyone know for sure what stations are/will be impacted? Everyone is assuming HBO, but can anyone confirm the copy flag is set on HBO in their area?
dbenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #78
Gregor

I had a pretty decent experience with Verizon. Had one card that did not work on channel 121.

The home agent app did not show any cards, so I initiated a chat session. Told the agent about the problem and he asked for the serial # of the card. When he said it appeared to be working correctly, I asked him to tell me the host ID he saw in his system.

It was different than the host ID on my TV screen so he replaced it and asked for one other piece of info. Once the info was correct he hit the card and the channel appeared.

My advice is that if you have a card that isn't working, ask V what data is in their system for that card, and see if it matches what you have on the TV screen.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #79
am95

Quote:
I've had no luck pairing the two cards in my S3. Using the automated system, it doesn't give me the CableCARD # for those 2 cards so there is no way to pair them. Talking to people (CSR) seems to be little better for those 2 cards. So far, my channels are still coming in fine.

Does anyone know for sure what stations are/will be impacted? Everyone is assuming HBO, but can anyone confirm the copy flag is set on HBO in their area?
A user on broadbandreports.com mentioned this:

Quote:
Attention All Verizon FiOS TV Customers !

The 0x02 - Copy Once Byte is Only Being Applied to HBO and Cinemax !

The Rest of the FiOS TV Channels will Remain 0x00 - Copy freely.

This Information was provided by a Verizon Plus Store Representative from an internal Memo.

Enjoy !

Old 08-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #80
vurbano

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
How is transferring to your computer any different than letting it 'out into the open' anywhere on the Internet?

Hey, I don't like DRM more than the next guy, but these requirements are at least the kind of 'front door lock' kind of impediments to people.

Impediment? If they had have a brain they would realize that with a not so expensive piece of software from a little company in Antigua a far superior BD version of their movie or series can be released out into the open. Going to these lengths to protect a degraded 1080i TV broadcast from being stored by a legal subscriber who purchases the programming for viewing in their home is absurd. Heaven forbid someone take their 90 year old father a degradedd copy of the pacific to watch.

hey I've got an idea for the MPAA and Sony. how bout they imbed a gps chip in the movie rental cases and if they discover you have taken the movie over to your girlfriends house to watch it with her they throw you in jail? oh Oh Oh better yet treat every broadcast like its the Super Bowl and make it illegal for X many people to watch it in your home at the same time.

So what is this going to stop? certainly not someone intent on putting a perfect 1080p copy on the net. A true criminal act. And it won't stop someone intent on making personal backups from their TiVo either. TivoHD + prom + a lot of reading on a certain website will get them that. the only thing this stops is a lawful person With a premiere unit from making a backup to watch at home later or storing it on a server.

Last edited by vurbano : 08-02-2012 at 07:40 PM.
vurbano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #81
vurbano

Quote:
Originally Posted by am95 View Post
A user on broadbandreports.com mentioned this:
As of about 8pm today its still copy freely.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #82
vurbano

Quote:
What about when your home IP address changes?( I assume you mean the WAN IP address otherwise my IP address range on my LAN has been the same since the late nineties) On FiOS my WAN IP address sometimes changes several times a week. And sometimes can go months without changing. Currently, for the last few weeks, it's changed several times each week. It's changed at least a dozen times in the last month.
Not sure but I bet if you were downloading illegal movies Verizon could track you down no matter how many times a week it changed. I'm sure these clever people could come up with a solution if they were interested. but I doubt they are.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #83
aaronwt
HD Addict

nothing active here from VHO4 yet. At least by checking to see if the programs can be transferred. Although I only have the Cinemax channels to test with.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #84
mr.unnatural

I've got a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime cablecard tuner that wasn't allowing me to see channel 131. I tried the Verizon In-Home Agent and ran into he same brick wall that everyone else did. I also tried activating the card over the phone using the automated system with no luck. I was eventually able to get into the phone menu and reactivate the cablecard and get it paired with the tuner. Now channel 131 comes in just fine.

FWIW, I routinely record shows and copy them over to my PC. I'm not currently subscribed to any premium channels so I'm not running into the copy once flag on any channels I receive. So far it hasn't been an issue with any other channel on FIOS.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #85
lrhorer

Quote:
For me, its so long tivo desktop.
I said that about ten seconds after trying the program. That was about six years ago.

Quote:
Everything I transferred was HBO or showtime anyway and those days will be over. it all seems ridiculous to me.
I'm not sure about ridiculous, but it certainly is trying to empower CATV companies in a way they should not be empowered.

Quote:
You would think that the recordings could be tied to your home Ip address and as long as it stayed on that network then transfer to NAS or PC's with Raid systems and etc could be allowed.
That's silly. Most people's home IP addresses are either on the 192.168.0/24 or 192.168.1/24 subnets. Tying the DRM to either one of those subnets would allow half the people on earth to pirate it, and prevent people with perfectly proper routing from watching the piece on their LAN. I'm sorry, and no offense, but while the idea of DRM is really foolish, that one is just plain stupid.

Last edited by lrhorer : 08-04-2012 at 10:38 PM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #86
lrhorer

Quote:
Impediment? If they had have a brain they would realize that with a not so expensive piece of software from a little company in Antigua a far superior BD version of their movie or series can be released out into the open.
That is what a "front door lock approach" means. It doesn't prevent dishonest people from stealing, it merely dissuades otherwise honest people from doing so.

Last edited by lrhorer : 08-05-2012 at 04:34 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #87
lrhorer

Quote:
What about when your home IP address changes?( I assume you mean the WAN IP address
No computer within a firewall (except the firewall router) knows anything about any IP address outside the firewall. There is no way to tie anything to that address.

Quote:
otherwise my IP address range on my LAN has been the same since the late nineties)
As long as it is nonroutable, it can be anything you want it to be. It could even be routable, but in that case you would lose access to part of the internet. It can change at your whim, and chances are that millions of people have the same IP on one of their PCs as you do on one of yours.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #88
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
No one is going to buy multiple DVDs or BluRay disks just so they can watch a show in different rooms. Ten thousand different people as much as a continent away from each other certainly will, unless it as available free on the internet.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:50 AM   #89
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
......................It can change at your whim, and chances are that millions of people have the same IP on one of their PCs as you do on one of yours.
Probably not likely. I use 221.214.xx.xxx. When I picked it in the 90's I made sure it wasn't an IP address that would be an issue for me. It's an IP address that is used in China. I've been using that IP address range for my LAN for a long time now.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:02 AM   #90
lrhorer

Quote:
Probably not likely. I use 221.214.xx.xxx. When I picked it in the 90's I made sure it wasn't an IP address that would be an issue for me. It's an IP address that is used in China. I've been using that IP address range for my LAN for a long time now.
As long as you don't announce routes into the internet, no one can really stop you from using whatever address you choose behind a firewall, but using a routable address is really not a good idea, and it serves no purpose whatsoever. The fact it was used in China in the 1990s does not mean that is the case today, or tomorrow. You should choose a nonroutable subnet.

There are more than plenty of nonroutable addresses. In 1994, RFC 1597 specifically set aside nonroutable addresses that will never be assigned anywhere on the internet, and it is these that should be used for private networks. It provides for up to 65,534 addresses in the range from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.255.254, or 1,048,574 addresses in the range from 172.16.0.1 to 172.31.255.254, or 268,435,454 addresses in the range from 10.0.0.1 to 10.255.255.254. These ranges can be divvied up into subnets of 2, 14, 62, 254 (the most common), 1022, 4094, all the way up to 65,534 hosts for the 192.168/16 net, and far more for the others. I'm sure close to 270 million addresses is more than enough for your home LAN.

Last edited by lrhorer : 08-05-2012 at 04:30 AM.