TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #31
cjgadd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
The Mac Inhomeagent apparently doesn't support cable card pairing.
Do it by phone. I just did mine and it took all of two minutes, but I had to say "reactivte" to get to the pairing process.
cjgadd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:28 PM   #32
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
No, that's not quite how it works. If we assume for the moment everyone is continuously pulling down the maximum bandwidth they can, then if only two or three people are using the bandwidth, then they each can use as much as they like until they max out the bandwidth. Add a fourth, and if the bandwidth is maxed out, then the bandwidth of the other three drops by some amount. Add another 46, and each one will have access to perhaps 2% of the bandwidth. In the real world. however, one never sees such flat bandwidth demands. The odds of all 50 simultaneously downloading at maximum throughput is zilch. Instead, each user calls for bursts of bandwidth. Of course, downloading video extends the duration of those bursts by a significant amount, but it still means that of 50 users, on average only perhaps 4 or 5 are going to be downloading at any given moment.
When I had Comcast the node was heavily over saturated. Every evening speeds would drop well below 1Mb/s. Although this was before FiOS came to my area. Over 90% of the people have FiOS now in my area so I doubt speeds would be an issue with Comcast now. But even at my brothers place, he has a DOCSIS 3.0 modem and one of the faster tiers that requires it. He see slowdowns in speeds from what he should have. Which is something I have never seen in my five years with FiOS. At least not yet.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:53 AM   #33
lew

Quote:
Doing so does not make HBO any money, nor does a failure to buy one lose them any money. It is the studio and production company (and possibly depending on contracts, some of the talent) who putatively stand to lose money by allowing a DVR owner to copy programming.

I thought it was obvious my point was in reference to HBO original programming. Copying such content not only deprives HBO of DVD sales but might cost them some subscribers.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #34
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
Only about 1 person in 8 in the U.S. is black, and fewer than 2 people out of 100 are native Americans. That does not make it right to pass legislation that negativey impacts members of those groups.
That's a ridiculous analogy.

Not entirely square
nrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #35
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc View Post
That's a ridiculous analogy.
It certainly is.
todd_j_derr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #36
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Only about 1 person in 8 in the U.S. is black, and fewer than 2 people out of 100 are native Americans. That does not make it right to pass legislation that negativey impacts members of those groups.
That's a bad analogy.

1. The government does pass legislation that negatively impacts certain groups (see DOMA, Don't Ask Don't Tell and Affirmative Action) but that's another topic.

2. Many internet providers have already made it very clear that not all customers are equal. They throttle service for users as they see fit.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #37
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Can anyone explain why Verizon FIOS cable card pairing seems to be so easy when most of the other providers have turned the process into a nightmare? I have had my own experiences with FIOS and Comcast and it was like night and day. FIOS took a couple of minutes. Comcast required five hours on the phone plus a truck roll.

I have seen countless complaints about cable cards on this website and have even seen people return their Tivo's because the cable provider couldn't get their act together.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #38
vurbano

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
Can anyone explain why Verizon FIOS cable card pairing seems to be so easy when most of the other providers have turned the process into a nightmare? I have had my own experiences with FIOS and Comcast and it was like night and day. FIOS took a couple of minutes. Comcast required five hours on the phone plus a truck roll.

I have seen countless complaints about cable cards on this website and have even seen people return their Tivo's because the cable provider couldn't get their act together.
Well, I gave an old tivohd to my father. It took 2 weeks to get the CC working and the stupid SDV box. Apparently the CSRs on the phone with cox cable can't really do anything. Trouble tickets to engineering have to be made then they have to Visit and be stumped a couple of times and then they have to be the ones to contact the mothers ship in Atlanta to fix stuff. it's Absolutely ridiculous. And I thought I was gonna buy him that big screen and self install everything before Xmas. What a nightmare that was. It was so bad that I had the show the technicians the tutorials on TiVo website and what the error messages meant. Some code wasn't being sent form cox authorizing some of the channels.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #39
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

In shipment my Premiere was delayed for a day. I gave Cox a call to make sure that what I wanted to do was possible (install one of the CableCARDs from my S3 in it and return the other). The guy that I talked to on that call seemed very knowledgeable. On the day, the tech support person I got connected to did not seem to know much about the process and was telling me that everything should work now and I asked, "Don't you need the Host ID to complete the pairing?" She replied that she didn't think so, then said, "Oh--I see a place for entering it!"

It's sad when you have to know what the CSR should be doing.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #40
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
It's sad when you have to know what the CSR should be doing.
Unfortunately that has been the norm.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #41
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpfan1980 View Post
I'll still call HBO stupid... if I want to see the show on my iPad, or my iPad, etc., I should be able to do so. I've paid them (HBO) the monthly subscription fees and should be able to see the content where I want without having to have a cable company provided crappy DVR just so I can use the cable co.'s "On Demand".

Granted, HBO offers me "HBO Go" and I can use my devices to watch stuff that way, b....Content Copy Protection on this level achieves what they call "keeping honest people honest". They don't want it to be easy for you to copy stuff and give it friends and relations who don't subscribe. They don't particularly care for it to be easy for you to archive their stuff.
You've answered your own point. HBO makes it easy for current subscribers to watch shows they missed. Shows are scheduled multiple times and many shows are available via VoD. HBO Go lets you watch shows on other devices.

Most of us don't think it's dishonest to archive our shows. Evidently HBO doesn't agree archiving isn't something they want you to do.

Quote:
You're assuming you're permitted to archive programs. HBO sells DVDs for many of their popular programs. Using the CCI flag is a way of HBO telling you archiving is not permitted. You have to pay (via DVD, ITunes...) if you want to be able to archive.

Extremely motivated people will be able to work around the restrictions. Most people will go with the solutions offered by HBO.

The HBO options, VoD and HBO Go benefit far more customers then the relatively few who own a tivo and who use those features.

HBO is taking care of their customers who want the ability to watch on other devices.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #42
Taget

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
I suspect very few people are archiving and then stripping TiVo encryption. Most folks are transferring from one TiVo to another. So they may be keeping honest people honest, but they're generating bad feelings amongst those honest people. Who may choose to move on from their service and/or check out the dishonest approach. I'm probably not renewing HBO when we change providers in August (moving!). They can peddle their condescending and shortsighted approach elsewhere.
I sometimes will download a show and use dlna to stream it to another tv set. Now I'll just have to download a pirated version and stream that instead. Why should I even have to consider that when I'm legally paying for it?

It does nothing to stop piracy. Pirates can get what they need either way. And as far as keeping the little guy "honest." That little guy can download a pirated version faster than it would take to download a program to your harddrive, convert to mpeg2, and perhaps even re-encode.

When you're trying to harass and control those who are trying to use your product legally you're going after the wrong folks.
Taget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #43
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taget View Post
And as far as keeping the little guy "honest." That little guy can download a pirated version faster than it would take to download a program to your harddrive, convert to mpeg2, and perhaps even re-encode.
But many of those little guys who would have copied the un-copy-protected content won't use mechanisms that they know are illegal. Some like you will but I think that they assume that you're in the minority.

As I said above the content IP holders will tell you themselves that these mechanisms have nothing to do with stopping real piracy.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
Old 07-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #44
tivohaydon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
HBO makes it easy for current subscribers to watch shows they missed. Shows are scheduled multiple times and many shows are available via VoD. HBO Go lets you watch shows on other devices.

Most of us don't think it's dishonest to archive our shows. Evidently HBO doesn't agree archiving isn't something they want you to do.

HBO is taking care of their customers who want the ability to watch on other devices.
I do not want to archive.
I do not want to retain.
I do not want to complain.

I can not watch it on a boat.
I can not watch it on a train.
I can not watch it on a plane.

Live programming is not for me.
It seems I'm just too busy.

HBO Go does not help.
On Demand is just as spotty.

CCI bytes remove the solution.
To migrate between devices.
My mindless entertainment.

Okay, so this isn't proper anything but it was fun.
tivohaydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #45
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
Most of us don't think it's dishonest to archive our shows.
Just to make it clear though, 'archiving' is not legally protected. (It is not prohibited, either.. Its legal status has not been decided either way.) The famous "VCR case" (Sony vs Universal) explicitly legalized time-shifting, but not its term for archiving -- librarying.

Yes, I know there isn't an explicit time limit when one turns into the other, and I too archive things (that aren't copy protected.. though I do it as much to expand disk space than to save for keeps).
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #46
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Just to make it clear though, 'archiving' is not legally protected. (It is not prohibited, either.. Its legal status has not been decided either way.) The famous "VCR case" (Sony vs Universal) explicitly legalized time-shifting, but not its term for archiving -- librarying.

Yes, I know there isn't an explicit time limit when one turns into the other, and I too archive things (that aren't copy protected.. though I do it as much to expand disk space than to save for keeps).
The justice who wrote the opinion pooh-pooh'd the possibility of "library building", saying that the respondents hadn't proven that it would be a common activity .

"
" -- hookbill

Last edited by mikeyts : 07-02-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:26 AM   #47
vurbano

I typically, archive several HBO series and one on Showtime. Trueblood, Game of Thrones, Borgias on Showtime. I will continue to do so, it just won't be from my Tivo.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #48
lew

Quote:

Archiving might be legal. Circumventing DRM (or CCI) isn't.

It doesn't take any technical skills to use TTG along with Roxio (or whatever package tivo promotes). Using programs like pyTivo require a little more skill. Circumventing the CCI flag is a lot harder, maybe impossible for some hardware.

Setting the CCI flag means archiving went from very easy to extremely hard.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #49
RangerOne
The Hub

By the way, does the CCI flag affect the ability to transfer programs to the Netgear ReadyNAS? I just picked one up and saw that one of the features was that it integrates with TiVo.

on my home theater and gadgets blog:
RangerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:13 AM   #50
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerOne View Post
By the way, does the CCI flag affect the ability to transfer programs to the Netgear ReadyNAS? I just picked one up and saw that one of the features was that it integrates with TiVo.
Unfortunately, copy protected content cannot be transferred to the ReadyNAS unit.

Not entirely square
nrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #51
tootal2

I think it legal for your own use. but you cant make copys for people or sell copys shows.

Quote:

tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #52
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
I think it legal for your own use. but you cant make copys for people or sell copys shows.

No, read the decision. I bought a book entirely about that legal case.. (and it was before eBay, or at least before it became popular.. somehow I found it online, but it was MORE expensive than if it had been new.)
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:24 AM   #53
am95

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I just bought a TiVo + 1-year subscription mainly for the purpose of copying sports content from premium channels with HBO being a huge part of that and it's not like you can go out and buy this stuff on Blu-ray. Hopefully it's just HBO and Cinemax which I could probably live with. Otherwise, see ya TiVo.
am95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #54
NatasNJ
Bone marrow lover!

Can someone help me out. I got the letter from Verizon. I tried reactivating my cablecards and was unable to do so. (Tried calling them) then I downloaded InhomeAgent and that failed as well. I started up a chat and they were able to "reset" my cable cards but STILL unable to view channel 131 so they sent out a TECH.

The Tech basically looked at my letter and had NO IDEA what I was asking them to do. He went to his truck waited 30 minutes then came back and said don't worry about it you are fine. Said I don't need channel 131 anyway. WTF!!!!

I have a feeling this is going to blow up for me at the end of the month...
NatasNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #55
DeWitt

I had a similar experience. In home agent says I have no cable cards to activate. I used the voice prompts and after entering my card no and zip, it reconfirms the zip then transfers me to a representative. Rep says only way is to use voice prompts or in home agent, then tells me to call the number I called. Refused to believe I called that number and got her. Refused to believe I did not have an activation code, despite the letter telling me to tell them I did not have one. She escalated to tech, told as long as cable working nothing they can do. She found the letter and then told me it did not effect me other than losing HBO. I said I don't want to lose HBO DVR at the end of the month. She said sorry there is nothing we can do you have to call and use the voice prompts or in home agent. Same story of don't worry about it if your cable is working. I said it is but not on 131. Answer, sorry sir there is nothing we can do for you. She stated tech would not help, but had not heard of the letter. I gave up after spending an hour and a half on it.

I love FIOS, but there customer service is terrible.

Last edited by DeWitt : 07-09-2012 at 04:46 PM.
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:02 PM   #56
aaronwt
HD Addict

I wonder why it transferred you to an agent? When I did it two weeks ago with my three cable cards it went through quickly without transferring me to an agent.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:08 AM   #57
NatasNJ
Bone marrow lover!

When I typed in my cable card info at the prompts it would obviously FAIL the pairing/activation and then default to sending me to an agent.

I know come Aug 1st I am going to get screwed.
NatasNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #58
DeWitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I wonder why it transferred you to an agent? When I did it two weeks ago with my three cable cards it went through quickly without transferring me to an agent.
I am assuming it means the entries in the system are wrong somehow. This would also explain why the in house agent can't access them either. I have two Premieres, so two cards. The one in its original Tivo is paired properly. The one where the Tivo was replaced is not. (Not surprising)

I am hoping they where just understaffed due to all the east coast storm damage. I'll try again in a few days after I cool off a bit....
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #59
dbenrosen

I had a similar experience yesterday. I tried the IHA and it claimed it couldn't find the cards. After getting all of the info for the cards from Ch 131 (I have 4 CableCARDs, 3 gave me info screen and 1 worked as it would if already activated). I called the phone number and it went through 4 CableCARDs, one of which I had a number for and entered the info to activate it. The other numbers it gave me were either the one that worked or numbers I didn't have.

I transferred to a person, who claimed all of my cards were activated. I explained about the letter and the activation screen. She went away to look up info and when she came back she said the system would not let her edit the CableCARD activation info. I again mentioned the letter and she said the letters were sent out too early and there was nothing she could do until the cards were not activated again. She thinks this will happen at the end of the month,and which point I guess I would have to call them back. I will try the process again in a week or so and see if I have any better luck.
dbenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:14 AM   #60
vurbano

For me, its so long tivo desktop. Everything I transferred was HBO or showtime anyway and those days will be over. it all seems ridiculous to me. You would think that the recordings could be tied to your home Ip address and as long as it stayed on that network then transfer to NAS or PC's with Raid systems and etc could be allowed.