TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
lessd

Minor Software Update Just received 20.2.1.2

I just got the new Minor Software Update, the version went from 20.2.1.1 to 20.2.1.2, I guess it is small, am going to bed now, will check out sometime Tuesday.
Came on all 4 of my TPs.

Last edited by lessd : 06-19-2012 at 07:34 AM.
lessd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:57 AM   #2
compnurd

likewise rebooting now
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
sharkster

Thanks for the update - on this update.

I checked my bdrm Tivo and nothing yet, but then I had a bad night and had the tv on all night, so it prob will come through later.

Checked the living rm Tivo and it was 'pending restart' so I punched it through. Don't know yet what has changed, but will dig around later when I'm back down there.

I wonder why they often do that 'pending restart' thing. There was nothing recorded on that box since 11-11:30 last night and nothing scheduled to record until noon today. I guess it has a pre-determined schedule, eh?
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
Mikef5

Got the update last night and it seems to fix the problem with the picture in Comcasts VOD not filling the whole screen, I've only checked a couple of movies but it does seem to fix that problem.

I did sign up for the early rollout on the Tivo site so the roll out to others will begin soon.

Laters,
Mikef5
Mikef5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5 View Post
Got the update last night and it seems to fix the problem with the picture in Comcasts VOD not filling the whole screen, I've only checked a couple of movies but it does seem to fix that problem.

I did sign up for the early rollout on the Tivo site so the roll out to others will begin soon.

Laters,
Mikef5
FINALLY! Time to Slingbox....
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #6
xbr23

got it.

tivo Elite unit.
xbr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Got the update.
Revoked my routers DHCP reservation for the TiVo to see if the update fixed the auto DHCP renewal issue I was having. Will report back.

Update removed the Black (or Gray) Bars from the Amazon Instant Video Menu also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 06-19-2012 at 10:02 PM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:48 PM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

So what else did the update do? All my boxes got this today and I rebooted them within the last hour.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #9
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
So what else did the update do? All my boxes got this today and I rebooted them within the last hour.
I did some MRS last night without any problems, so that error may be fixed.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I believe it also fixed the Bar issue with On Demand
Old 06-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #11
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
I believe it also fixed the Bar issue with On Demand
hopefully if Cox ever launches ondemand via tivo there will be no problems since this update fixed it for Comcast.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #12
sharkster

I recently realized that, since I replaced my old Series 2 boxes with Premieres and they use a cable card instead of a cable box, I can't figure out how to get to 'on demand'.

Before you went to channel 1 (I have Charter), using the cable box remote for everything having to do with that, and then there was the menu and all that. Now that there's no longer a cable box, obviously, I don't have a Charter cable remote. When I tune in to channel one with my Tivo remote I just get a blank screen. When I tried it using my TV remote it was just snow (it seemed to change the 'input' from HDMI3 to cable.

Does anybody know anything about this?
Old 06-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
andyf

You can't get On-Demand unless you are on Comcast in San Francisco area or Boston area.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #14
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post

You can't get On-Demand unless you are on Comcast in San Francisco area or Boston area.
Are they planning on rolling this out to other cities soon?
(3) Minis

gweempose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #15
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
Ohhhh...So, even though I pay through my cable co to have 'on demand' and always had it before, with a cable box, I just don't get it now at all? It seems odd that the Tivo would take away paid services. I never would have thought of that.

Oh well, I'd rather have Tivo but I'd also like to have what I pay Charter for so I guess I'll go online and delete that service. wah
Old 06-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #16
ajwees41

I seem to have it, but didn't reboot the boxes.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #17
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Ohhhh...So, even though I pay through my cable co to have 'on demand' and always had it before, with a cable box, I just don't get it now at all? It seems odd that the Tivo would take away paid services. I never would have thought of that.

Oh well, I'd rather have Tivo but I'd also like to have what I pay Charter for so I guess I'll go online and delete that service. wah
What are you talking about? TiVo didn't "take away" anything. You weren't getting VOD through your TiVo, it was through the cable box. BTW, Charter supplied TiVos do have VOD, at least in Fort Worth.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #18
sharkster

Charter doesn't have Tivo here, first of all. I do understand that the on demand was through cable and not through Tivo. I just was asking about how I could continue using it now that the Tivo operates w/o a cable box. I had Tivo before, the the difference is just the cable box. I was not aware that on demand was exclusively a property of the cable BOX. I just thought it was a part of the cable services for which I pay each month.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:51 PM   #19
ajwees41

Quote:
Charter doesn't have Tivo here, first of all. I do understand that the on demand was through cable and not through Tivo. I just was asking about how I could continue using it now that the Tivo operates w/o a cable box. I had Tivo before, the the difference is just the cable box. I was not aware that on demand was exclusively a property of the cable BOX. I just thought it was a part of the cable services for which I pay each month.
you have to get the Tivo through Charter http://www3.tivo.com/products/source.../tivo-charter/
Old 06-21-2012, 12:12 AM   #20
lpwcomp

Quote:
The problem is that things like VOD require 2-way communication, usually over the cable. Unlike your cable box, a stock TiVo does not have that capability (tru2way or allvid, anyone?). Comcast is doing it (for Premieres only) by having it controlled via IP backchannel. The actual programing still comes over the cable.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:18 AM   #21
jrtroo
User

I'm not sure why you thought the cablecard took care of the on-demand. I'm sure nobody made such a claim. You can go ahead and use your old cablebox just for on-demand, many do, but you do not need to have it connected to your Tivo.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #22
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
I'm not sure why you thought the cablecard took care of the on-demand. I'm sure nobody made such a claim. You can go ahead and use your old cablebox just for on-demand, many do, but you do not need to have it connected to your Tivo.
Ditto... not sure where that came from
Old 06-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #23
sharkster

Ah, I see. Didn't know I needed the cable box for 'on demand'. When the cable guy installed my cable cards, for the new Premieres, he took those two cable boxes with him.
As far as I knew, I had no reason to have them. The plusses are bigger than the one minus of not having 'on demand'.

Thanks to both of you for the further explanations. I appreciate it. I think the plan will be to just not worry about on demand and maybe some time it w/b available through the Premiere. If not, it's not a deal-breaker for me anyway.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #24
lpwcomp

One interesting piece of information I discovered recently - the FCC briefly considered mandating IP backchannel control of SDV. In the end, they decided to let the market handle it, merely mandating that a TA be able to handle as many simultaneous channels as the cable company's most capable box or 4, whichever was greater.

Understandable but unfortunate as it would probably have made it easier to implement IP backchannel control of VOD, ironically not in Comcast's case since they don't use SDV ( I like the fact that they don't)

Last edited by lpwcomp : 06-21-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #25
jrtroo
User

I certainly don't miss on demand at all- my tivo captures what I would want from broadcast, and use Amazon/Netflix/pyTiVo for other sources. Though my kids really did like the oragami shows, for about 5 minutes.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #26
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
I certainly don't miss on demand at all- my tivo captures what I would want from broadcast, and use Amazon/Netflix/pyTiVo for other sources. Though my kids really did like the oragami shows, for about 5 minutes.
BUT sometimes the local network station replaces a network show with some local sports program, than the TiVo does not record the program and one must use ON-Demand (or a PC ) to see the missing program.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #27
rhettf
R3T1CAL

So any info on what the actual update brought besides fullscreen Xfinity onDemand?

I can confirm Side by Side 3D is now watchable via xfinity onDemand in the bay area.
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #28
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
One interesting piece of information I discovered recently - the FCC briefly considered mandating IP backchannel control of SDV. In the end, they decided to let the market handle it, merely mandating that a TA be able to handle as many simultaneous channels as the cable company's most capable box or 4, whichever was greater.

Understandable but unfortunate as it would probably have made it easier to implement IP backchannel control of VOD, ironically not in Comcast's case since they don't use SDV ( I like the fact that they don't)
you do know the IPbackchannel is how ondemand via Comcast on Tivo hardware aren
Old 06-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #29
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
you do know the IPbackchannel is how ondemand via Comcast on Tivo hardware aren
Yes, I do know that, thus the irony.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #30
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettf View Post
So any info on what the actual update brought besides fullscreen Xfinity onDemand?

I can confirm Side by Side 3D is now watchable via xfinity onDemand in the bay area.
Also addressed the v68 MRS error