TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-25-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
JulienPDX

Not happy with the ads in the UI

I may be late on this post, and I'm sorry it's taken me so long to notice but really??

Every time I pause a show, I see an annoying star icon with some sort of ad. I just now noticed this and find it very distracting and annoying

I emailed TiVo today to find out if there was a way to turn it off and apparenly there isn't.

TiVo has partnered with various companies to offer special promotions exclusively to TiVo subscribers. These promotional offers appear on TiVo Central and other TiVo screens, and are highlighted by a star icon. They range from promotions for new movies and music artists, to products and services available to TiVo subscribers. To take advantage of one of these offers, simply select it and follow the instructions on the screen. TiVo, is in part, advertiser supported, so there is no way to opt out of TiVo promotions. TiVo sends these promotions to subscribers as part of the TiVo Service.

Wow, so not only do I have to pay 19.99 for TiVo service; but now I'm getting ads thrown into the UI ala Comcast or some cable-provided DVR. This isn't cool.
JulienPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

Search remains your friend. Old news.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
mrizzo80

I agree. I can easily ignore the pause ads. Can't for the life of me even remember a product that has ever been advertised in there. But I can't stand the discovery bar ads (especially the current Bounty and Woolite ads). They stick out to the point of being distracting.

I wish Tivo would reconsider their advertising approach.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
JoeTaxpayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
But I can't stand the discovery bar ads (especially the current Bounty and Woolite ads).
Bounty offered a $1 coupon for just a click. Let's see if I get it, said a few weeks for mail.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
59er
TiVotee

Doesn't the down arrow while paused turn off the pause menu for the duration of viewing that single recording?
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:06 AM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Yep, and using the 'Select Play Select Pause Select' backdoor code quickly hides the ads right after you pause on all your shows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:06 AM   #7
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
I agree. I can easily ignore the pause ads. Can't for the life of me even remember a product that has ever been advertised in there. But I can't stand the discovery bar ads (especially the current Bounty and Woolite ads). They stick out to the point of being distracting.

I wish Tivo would reconsider their advertising approach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTaxpayer View Post
Bounty offered a $1 coupon for just a click. Let's see if I get it, said a few weeks for mail.
Well I do find the discovery bar fairly useless but did ask for both the Bounty and Woolite coupons. I have received both coupons and the free sample of Woolite.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
ltxi

Well....considering the alternative, TiVo not surviving after getting seriously cross-wise with the ad agency/marketing guys, I consider the current stalemate solution quite acceptable.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote