TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
StacieH
betativowho??

Do you Hulu?

I do...though I don't pay for it. We got rid of satellite over a year ago and are totally OTA. We use Netflix and Hulu to fill the gaps.

My subscriptions are:

Fairly Legal
White Collar
Royal Pains
Outsourced
Pretty Little Liars (I just stumbled onto this, and it has become my guilty pleasure!!)

Recently got rid of "Psych." I just don't have the patience for it anymore.

Don't ask me why I Hulu "Outsourced" when I could record it on NBC. I just do.
StacieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
Amnesia
The Question

Isn't Hulu computer-only? Thanks, but I'd rather watch TV shows on my 60" HDTV...
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
MikeMar
Go Pats

I'll use it again once it works on the Boxee Box

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
StacieH
betativowho??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
Isn't Hulu computer-only? Thanks, but I'd rather watch TV shows on my 60" HDTV...
I think there are some boxes that play Hulu, but it's Hulu Plus, that you pay for. But I just watch on the computer.

Don't get me wrong; I appreciate the HD. In fact, we have 60" HDTV in our media room, too. But when I'm in my office, organizing, cleaning, and filing....or on the elliptical, I watch Hulu.
StacieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #5
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

I Hulu (via 61" TV on HTPC and it looks good)- exclusively...well, except for Big Brother and Survivor, which I watch at CBS.com. I don't even have OTA.

current subscriptions:

House
Castle
The Office
Kitchen Nightmares

I don't watch a lot of TV.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
pkscout

Just The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. Almost everything else I watch other than that is OTA. A few things I get from Amazon OnDemand (HD versions available for download).
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
MLR930
Gamer Goddess

I can get Hulu on my Sony Blu Ray player but what I don't understand is why some shows are on the website but when I use my Blu ray player some of those shows aren't there

Herbalife Distributor and Wellness Coach
MLR930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #8
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

I have a home theater PC but I never use Hulu on it. Until they ditch Flash (or until Flash gets better) I'm sticking with torrents.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:15 PM   #9
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

I've tried Hulu on my computer, but for some reason, it doesn't work well. The videos would skip or pause often, and the picture was less than stellar.

By comparison, I've had no problems when streaming from Netflix.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:59 PM   #10
getreal
postcrastinator

Hulu blocks out Canada. BIH Hulu!

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:17 AM   #11
appleye1

I use Hulu Plus on my Roku, and I use Hulu Desktop on my HTPC. Picture quality on both is acceptable.

I ditched DirecTv recently and went OTA plus Netfilx and Hulu. But since at least 80% of what I watch is on network, I don't really Hulu that much right now. And it seems like the "cable" shows that I really miss aren't on Hulu or Netflix, which pisses me off to no end. Some I can watch on the networks website, which is NOT a quality viewing experience, but some of the shows I want to watch don't have episodes anywhere! Not even past seasons for some of them. That's what pushes people to torrents.

I Cut The Cord! 02/11 (OTA Hulu+ Netflix)
TiVo user since 12/99
Yamms:

appleye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:47 AM   #12
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
I just hook up my notebook to the HDMI port on the side of the TV when I want to watch something on Hulu, or a show on abc.com, etc.
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:33 AM   #13
Alfer
WOOSAH!

I've used it maybe 5-6 times in the last few years.
Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #14
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I partially tried to dump satellite last year. I dropped to a package they only offer people complaining about high cost. After about 9 months, I couldn't take it anymore. I got sick of having to keep track of shows that my DVR used to do for me. Mainly because a bunch of shows I watched weren't on Hulu or Netflix and I ended up getting them off usenet or bit torrent. That is a whole other thing that I was stealing the shows.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #15
dcheesi
...I'm not.

Quote:
1) buy hdmi cable

2) plug cable into PC video card

3) plug cable into TV

4) profit! watch Hulu!

Old 03-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #16
bobino

Why would anyone watch Hulu? Don't they commercials that cannot be skipped?

-Bob
"never Hulu'ed"
bobino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #17
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobino View Post

-Bob
"never Hulu'ed"
Meh....you get maybe a couple of 30 second ones during an hour broadcast I think it was...nothing to get worked up about.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #18
hefe
Rebus Philbin

I do now that it's gotten more useful for me...

I use a media server called Play On that can stream Hulu out to my DLNA Blu Ray player, and there's an Android app so I can now watch it on my phone when I'm out.

At home, I've had some occasions where we've lost recordings due to a full TiVo, or there was a problem with the OTA reception, and it was easy to navigate to the program via the media server and watch an episode on the TV.

Sometimes during the day I'll watch a sitcom episode at lunch on my phone.

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #19
dcheesi
...I'm not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfer View Post
Meh....you get maybe a couple of 30 second ones during an hour broadcast I think it was...nothing to get worked up about.
What I worry about is what happens when the streaming format becomes popular, and advertisers become more comfortable with it. Chances are that the number of ads will steadily increase until we're stuck watching the same 4+ minutes of commercials as before, but without the ability to skip them.

I've already seen an increase in the number of double-ad breaks, and I think I might have had a triple-ad break the other day. So the change has already started...
Old 03-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #20
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Yeah I guess that will suck, but for now I can live pretty much Hulu-less so it shouldn't really cause issues for me...what little I may miss out on can be found on DTV On Demand or on a networks website...but again it's rare we really need to go online to catch up on any particular show.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #21
deandashl

No.
deandashl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #22
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Yep.

We cut the cord a couple of years ago and get most stuff OTA. In case of a 3-way conflict I watch on Hulu, plus The Daily Show.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:56 AM   #23
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Nope. I've used it to view a couple Desperate Housewives eps that I missed when my TiVo's hard drive went belly up but was SUPER annoyed that ABC puts up and pulls eps, on a whim.

I could only watch a few and then the rest were yanked. I also had to wait for MONTHS for those eps to even show up, only to find them up there for a brief time (by accident) and not enough long enough for me to get caught up.

I've maybe viewed some random video clips too but that's it. It can in no way replace my FiOS TV subscription, not even close.
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #24
SorenTodd

Only for FOX shows, since FOX isn't available on my Verizon FiOS "On Demand".
SorenTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #25
dcheesi
...I'm not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwerdna View Post
Nope. I've used it to view a couple Desperate Housewives eps that I missed when my TiVo's hard drive went belly up but was SUPER annoyed that ABC puts up and pulls eps, on a whim.

I could only watch a few and then the rest were yanked. I also had to wait for MONTHS for those eps to even show up, only to find them up there for a brief time (by accident) and not enough long enough for me to get caught up.

I've maybe viewed some random video clips too but that's it. It can in no way replace my FiOS TV subscription, not even close.
Generally Hulu only carries the 5 most recent episodes at a time. Sometimes when a show is between seasons or in re-runs, they'll throw in an older episode just to mix it up, but you should never count on that.

I guess they don't want to offer whole seasons at a time because that would make it too easy for people to ignore broadcast schedules. Hulu was originally envisioned as a means for loyal broadcast viewers to catch up on a single missed episode without having to resort to illegal torrents; they never intended for it to be an exhaustive archive or a replacement for broadcast TV. They're starting to rethink that in the face of sheer inevitability, but it will be some time before they figure out exactly how to reorganize the service to best leverage the post-TV shift.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:13 PM   #26
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheesi View Post
Generally Hulu only carries the 5 most recent episodes at a time. Sometimes when a show is between seasons or in re-runs, they'll throw in an older episode just to mix it up, but you should never count on that.

I guess they don't want to offer whole seasons at a time because that would make it too easy for people to ignore broadcast schedules. Hulu was originally envisioned as a means for loyal broadcast viewers to catch up on a single missed episode without having to resort to illegal torrents; they never intended for it to be an exhaustive archive or a replacement for broadcast TV. They're starting to rethink that in the face of sheer inevitability, but it will be some time before they figure out exactly how to reorganize the service to best leverage the post-TV shift.
I was in between seasons and posted about my Hulu anger at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...77#post8121977.

I caught 1 or 2 eps I needed before it was yanked and had to wait some more before Lifetime reran the eps I needed.

As a result, I waited for >3.5 months to get caught up. I didn't want to watch the eps I had on my TiVo since that'd spoil things due to me missing a bunch of eps that came before them.

Last edited by cwerdna : 03-09-2011 at 03:00 AM.
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:10 PM   #27
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobino View Post
Generally I agree with you, but I have used it for a VERY few times when I missed an episode of something.. or actually, I think when the end of something was clipped and I want to make sure I caught the very end.

Though one of my Tivo drives died, and I may end up watching a couple of entire episodes of shows (first show this season of Biggest Loser at least) I missed.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:17 PM   #28
rhuntington3
Howdy!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yes, I use Hulu. I watch Outsourced there. I should set up a SP for it.

Lady, 8/7/2007.
rhuntington3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #29
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I use Hulu as a last resort. If my recordings are f-ed up (such as a blackout or rain fade, something like that), then I use Hulu on my HTPC. The problem I have with Hulu and other online services, is navigation is just too confusing sometimes. It's just not as intuitive as my sat box or even the sat on demand. Even using intermediary software such as Windows Media Center is a bit more difficult than just turning on the list on my DVR. And there's no way my wife would ever figure out how to do it!! Plus there's no 5.1 sound on the streaming services yet.

But it's nice to have the option to use Hulu and streaming has gotten to the point where it's ALMOST as good as either OTA or cable/sat picture wise.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #30
pmyers

never used it.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote